All parent member reviews for Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chip-Wrecked

Parent Written byjagu dabang khan December 24, 2011

OH YEAH BABY YOUR GONNA HATE IT

It is an ok movie suitable for kids over the age of 8.I dont think it is the best of all movies but it is reasonable.My kids did not enjoy it and i certainly would not reccommend it
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, 10, 10, and 17 year old Written byCharlie The Cat December 17, 2011

Not For My 5 Year Old Boy

It's Good For my 6,7,10, My other 10 year old, and my 17 year old's. My 5 year old can't see it. Ages 6+
Parent of a 4 year old Written byrorobill December 31, 2011

Chip-dreck

The entire movie is a wink and a nod to adult moviegoers. Chockablock with pop-cultural references and inappropriate music. They've sexualized the female chipmunks; a highlight is a dance- off in a casino bar. Really? The language is snarky, flip, and innuendo filled. Ick, ick, ick.
Parent Written byJane S. January 2, 2012

Don't waste your money on this piece of garbage!

The first two movies weren't great by any means, but this movie was just plain awful, for lack of a better word. Total waste of $20. My husband was lucky enough to fall asleep halfway through this movie, so he missed a good portion of it. I agree with the other reviews that the ending of the movie was way too scary for young kids, and gave my almost 5 year old nightmares. My seven year old liked it, and didn't seem to be frightened though, so it seems to be ok for older kids. This movie should have been rated PG, not G. Some of the Chipettes costumes and dancing were too sexual, and the overabundance of pop culture references (Castaway, Lost, and the horrible pop songs by Lady Gaga, etc.) was over the top and annoying. Hollywood really is scraping the bottom of the barrel these days.
Parent Written byMomMGT December 28, 2011

Chipmunk movie is fine. Go for a good family outing.

As a protective mom of a 4,8,&10 year old I think this movie was just fine for a family outing. I was prompted to write this after reading some of the way overboard reviews written. I am proud that my 10 yr. old still loves princesses and think that seeing this movie in no way gives her any wrong messages. Yes, the dance floor scene could half been left out, yet I do not feel it was totally inappropriate. Simon's alter ego was simply silly yet encourages people of all ages to just try new things and not be scared.Dave shows, as any parent should, that he will always be there for his "kids" no matter what. Alvin shows that, yes, there is such a thing as being responsible. He learned this during the movie. The big meany from the first films, Ian, actually changes for the good after watching Dave and his chipmunks. There are many positive messages to be taken from this movie. This movie is just like the first 2, silly and many laughable moments. I think every parent should talk to their children after a movie about any questionable scenes. Even the most docile of films will have moments for discussion.
Adult Written byNerdyNette August 20, 2013

The best of the three rat-infested movies, but still terrible. They still are small rodents who do not live up to the name "The Chipmunks." Seriously, watch the cartoon. This is TERRIBLE.
Adult Written bySTRIDER9 April 7, 2013

ok

This is a good movie
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byMimi37 October 13, 2012

Some scary scenes (meanness and danger)

I don't have major complaints about this movie. To my surprise, I even found the chipmunks cute. There were some scenes I didn't love for the values they modeled, in particular the sassy girl-fight dance-off (I just don't think it's cute for little girls to be sassy trash-talkers...). But the main thing was that my 6yo and another 6yo acquaintance of ours were both really scared in parts. The characters were in a lot of peril. The worst for my daughter was a snarly, attacking fish that sort of appeared out of nowhere when a chipmunk jumped in water. An adult character went from harmless crazy to nearly-murderous crazy. Dave got stuck dangling from a breaking log bridge while Alvin screams, "Please! Please! Help me save my dad!!" (yikes). And THEN the volcano explodes. Fireballs, billowing smoke clouds, rocks crashing down all around as the characters flee. I think most kids would do ok with this content, but if your child is prone to being scared by movies (especially scenes of meanness/cruelty or characters in peril), then "Chip-Wrecked" could be hard on them.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 7, 2012

alvin and the chipmunks chip wrecked

Families can talk about how the relationship between Dave and the Chipmunks is depicted. How does Alvin learn about the consequences of his behavior? Are the Chipettes too suggestive in their dances and song choices? Would it be different if the characters were human instead of chipmunks? What does Simon learn about his personality after "waking up" from being the more adventurous, flirtatious "French" Simon?
Parent Written byJackie&Josie's Mommy May 27, 2012

Alright I suppose!

I think this movie is fine for kids about 7 and older; however, I do think it's important to KNOW YOUR CHILD, seeing as how the chipettes are a tad bit risque! I believe it all depends on how you're raising your child and what you feel they should be exposed to. I personally would rather they leave all the flirting and sexy-related jokes to the grown-up movies, but overall, if you don't mind your kids seeing it, it's an all-right movie!
Parent Written bybluskies May 16, 2012

Makes casinos attractive for kids

The movie takes us inside a casino where grown ups are holding wine glasses and gambling. Then, there was a dance "fight" between few girls who are dressed in revealing clothes and the female chipmunks. That was at the beginning of the movie. What is disturbing is that the casino scene was presented in a "happy" and attractive way. Kids will want to be there! The movie is not appropriate for children. And I suspect that there is a drive to make the new generation not think twice about going into a casino.
Educator and Parent Written byCindyBroxbeath April 16, 2012

Uhg

Uhg
Parent Written bytreat02 February 17, 2012

good,

i think that this was good for kids. i think that nothing was bad and i think that it was decent
Parent Written byangela2678 February 12, 2012

Terrible!

Ten minutes into this movie, my 10-year-old daughter turned to me and said, "This is stupid." And she was right. You expect some plot holes and predictability in kids' movies, of course, but this was just ridiculous. The plot, overall, made no sense. It "borrowed" from multiple other well-known movies in an effort to look like a "parody," I think--but really it just looked copied. The content, also, was somewhat inappropriate. The Chipmunks of course misbehave constantly and defy their dad, although Alvin learns his lesson in the end. The Chipettes (and human women on the cruise ship) are dressed scantily and dance suggestively. The whole thing was awful--just excruciating. Maybe for younger kids who won't notice how bad it really is and who won't pick up on the inappropriate outfits and dancing.
Parent Written byEnridge February 1, 2012

It's the chipmunks....

It's a basic kids movie, fun music and fun times. My daughter is four and we went and saw it together. She liked it and I'm sure will rent in the future. I don't understand the below reviews with high expectations? It's the chipmunks. Alvin !!!!!!
Adult Written bydanoid January 29, 2012

Unnecessary violent volcano scene in Chip-Wrecked film !

I took my 7 and 5 year old who did enjoy most of the movie however they were visibly traumatized by the scene with the exploding volcano and the deadly fire balls narrowly missing the chipmunks and humans. This scene was just too real ! This is clearly an example of hollywood trying to desensitise our children !
Parent Written byCamisita January 27, 2012

Great family movie

Great for families, we loved it! Totally family appropriate. Shows positive influences of family is important, teamwork, and forgiveness.
Adult Written bymaytwentytwelvebaby January 16, 2012

Definitely NOT a "G" rating

I really enjoyed the movie- it was funny and entertaining. There were lots of funny jokes and other things that kept the audience laughing. I liked the movie BUT, it should definitely not have been given a G rating. A few of the things I think for sure warrant a PG are: -The chippettes' suggestive outfits and dancing in the club -Gambling -The 3 "ladies" in the club wearing short dresses with cleavage and dancing very suggestively -On the cruise ship deck, there were women in bikinis and men without shirts lying on lounge chairs and tanning in the sun. -Although there was no drinking by any of the characters, there was a mention of virgin cocktails at the beginning of the film and on the ship and in the club, there was drinking by the "extras" and drinks sitting around and being passed out by waiters. -There was also a budding romance between two of the 'munks, with couple's dancing and "Simone" kissing Jeanette's hand and all the way up her arm. -Zoe, the antagonist, was very creepy and scary. She kidnapped one of the chippettes, tied her up, and forced her to climb into a dark cave to retrieve treasure. -In terms of positive/negative lessons for children: The chipmunks all befriended this strange crazy lady, followed her home, and accompanied her on various outings. Zoe (an adult) also engaged in risky and dangerous behaviors and encouraged the chipmunks to join her. She also taunted them when they were too scared or "uptight" to join her. -Zoe also had sports balls with faces that were very creepy and scary. -Dangerous life-threatening situations and activities: They were on an island with an active volcano about to erupt and dodging balls of fire crashing around them. The characters also crossed over a deep ravine of a few hundred feet by balancing on a rotted tree trunk balanced across. Again, I do not have a problem with any of these aspects and would take my children to see the film, but it should have been given a G rating
Parent Written byHope Lang January 11, 2012

The Chipettes stole the show

The only complaint that I have was the price of the movie and snacks. It cost 32.00 for 2 children ages 7 and 9 and 2 adults. The snacks were 49.00 for not a whole lot. The movie was wonderful. We laughed all the way through it. I thought the outfits for the girl chipettes were fine since they were on chipmunks. If real girls were wearing these I would say it would be a bit much for little children.
Parent Written byPicklesMcGee January 11, 2012

Lacking

I took my four year old to see this. I personally had enjoyed the firs two films, but this one was a bit of a drag. My son got bored half way through and started wandering around, and the dialogue was disinteresting and a lot of the references lost on him.