Parent and Kid Reviews on

American History X Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 21 parent reviews

Sort by:

Please remove the stick from your behind, guys

Christ almighty, you think you’d never want your kids to learn by what I see on this website. The brutal realism of this movie IS THE POINT! Life is brutal and this movie poignantly reflects the bleak and depressing consequences of racism and living the lifestyle that goes with it. Show it to your kids and have a very real discussion with them. This movie is so important in showing the dangers of casual racism that leads to radicalization. If your kids are mature enough, show it to them whenever they are ready.
1 person found this helpful.

A great movie that is not afraid to show why racial hatred Begins.

An emotional movie the pushes boundaries, with a powerful message. America history x is a great anti-racist film, but it is not for the faint of heart. Cussing is constantly with hundreds of uses of F*** and many uses of the N word. The violence is disturbing and quite realistic. The prison rape scene is hard to watch. If you can get pass all the harsh realities that this movie is not afraid to show, I highly recommend it. I'll end it with quote from this film "life is to short to be angry all the time".

The message is most important and Ed Norton!

Great message and overall one of my favorite movies. Ed Norton's performance is exceptional, and he is soo sexy with his muscles and ruggedness. Now he is one of my favorite actors of all time, he is so versatile and literally able to play any role and not only make it work, he makes it incredible and memorable. He owns every role in every movie and besides this amazing movie performance he killed in fight club, primal fear,

15-17

This is a really good movie for late teens to watch. It makes them deeply consider the impacts of racism, race, and the long term damage. It hurts to watch. It's uncomfortable, and that discomfort is needed.

Shocking and Meaningful

American History X, the name strikes fear into parents around the world. its violent, challenging and immensely popular. i personally think this is a fantastic representation of racism in current times and should be introduced to kids around the 15 year oldmark

A provoking movie about the effects of glorifying white supremacy in contemporary American life

Every one should watch this movie at least once. But given the brutal yet realistic hateful violence in this movie (especially the curb stomp scene and the waterboarding of staff in an ethnic market), not to mention the pervasive language, it's not suggested for young viewers under 18.

Pretty Mature but a Good movie

It's a good moving showing the affects of racism and hatred and how people can change for the better it's a over all good movie but I wouldn't recommend for someone younger then a very mature 15 year old because of the depiction of Violence sex/rape and racism but for people up in age it's a good insight into the world of ignorance and how nothing good comes from it be warned right when you turn on the movie there is going to be a vigorous hard sex scene of the skin head main character and his girlfriend also a hate crime shows up and a black guy is brutally killed by being curb stomped on the head and someone gets shot to death also there's a scene of Man rape in prison just telling in case there are people who are sensitive to such things.

American History X

This is a very honest movie that shows what hate can do. It also shows how people can change after doing some horrific things. Children who don't like violence should not watch this. As there is one brutal scene when Derrick curb stomps a black man (the camera turns away as it happens but you hear the crunch which might be unsettling for some). Overall it's a very good movie.

To be used with direct instruction and guidance

I have used this film in senior-level honors English classes to supplement reading of books like A Time to Kill and a review of the related themes and historical context from To Kill a Mockingbird to juxtapose the various elements and challenge student's higher-level thinking. We send home a letter to parents and offer an alternative assignment, but those kids want to be able to actively participate in the discussions garnered from the connections made between what we watch and what we read in addition to finding current events that connect all the dots. It has always had a resounding positive response from students, but that has always been accompanied by very calculated direct instruction before some of the more challenging parts of the film, and discussion afterwards to help students work through their thoughts/reactions/responses. I would say there is too much violence and too much sex, but students would say that's what makes it real.