All parent member reviews for An Inconvenient Truth

Parent Written byjdtangney April 9, 2008

Crucial message must get out

It might be hard for a younger kid to sit through this. But the message must get out. My 4th grader saw the first half of this movie at school. While the subtlety of Gore's nostalgia for and rejection of his tobacco farming upbringing may be tough to fathom for younger kids, it's a great opportunity to talk about love of family and social responsibility and how the two play together - or against each other. As for the argument that not everyone believes that global warming is the result of human activity, remember that not everyone believes that the world is round.
Adult Written byD-Fresh June 16, 2011

Awful Awful Awful movie

Did I mention how terrible this movie is? I have a degree in chemistry, and when I was at school my Environmental Chemistry class watched this movie to see a perfect example of the 'junk science' that is pervading the scientific community. Seriously people need to learn not to trust graphs that aren't labeled (hint you can make up whatever you want on those), and go do a google search of 'climategate' for the reality of what a farce and waste of time, effort, money, and resources 'global warming' really is (oh wait, I think the PC term today is 'climate change' since the temperature apparently hasn't been rising like they say)
Adult Written byhshake April 9, 2008
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byaveryt_m April 9, 2008

A Call to Action

Our 10- and 12-year-olds were attentive and interested through the whole movie. The 10-year-old excitedly whispered to me throughout the movie, making connections with her lessons at school, our community and ideas for home. I knew she could handle it but not that she would be so into it. We parents and our 12-year-old were distracted by the gratuitous political message but the set-up of the film (separate storylines about the environment and Gore's life) made it easy to focus on the environmental message. There was new material here for the adults and new connections. I saw it twice in two days and could see it again.
Adult Written bytenderheart31 April 9, 2008

The only way I would let my kids watch this piece of propaganda is IF

I also showed them the OTHER side of the debate, (ie. the TRUTH!) such as Glenn Beck's special, "Exposed: Climate of Fear." Sitting through this thing is like having your teeth pulled, waxing your entire body and having your nose hairs yanked out-- all at the same time. I've never had such a strong reaction to a "film" in my 29 years of life.
Parent Written byIE June 28, 2013

Not a "HOAX", but still a bit lacking

I kinda find it funny that people are quoting sources such as Glenn Beck as viable sources for scientific material. He's not, by the way, he tells people what they want to hear. My main problem with this movie is some of the inconsistent data such as unlabeled graphs, ect. By the way, for people who think that man-made acceleration of climate change is a "hoax", I don't know what to say, every real investigation has proved this to be true. The Earth goes through stages of heating and cooling, and we're still warming up from the last cooling stage. However, we are MASSIVELY contributing, just look at a graph of carbon dioxide content in the atmosphere. For people who think this is "liberal propaganda" then I don't know what to tell you, it's very hard to convince someone of something that would inconvenience them, even if all the facts are on your side.
Adult Written bygravyfury October 6, 2010

Misinformation propoganda film. F-

This movie is nothing but propaganda. I would not recommend it for an adult never mind a child trying to learn. This movie is nothing but lies from a politician who has ZERO grounds to be making these claims. Awful Awful movie.
Parent of a 18 year old Written byJesusrulz666 September 18, 2010
Extremly inaccurate.
Adult Written byTwilight August 17, 2009

Good for People who love hearing about Global Warming.

A great look at a false philosophy. This is a movie based on a proven fallacy. Global Warming DOES NOT exist. In 100 years the Earths temperature has risen 1 Degree.
Parent of a 18, 20, 20, 21, 21, and 22 year old Written byScrew You. January 9, 2009

Blatant lies.

This is nothing but propaganda made by the Government. Global Warming in itself is a hoax. Remember the Ice Age? I'm sure we caused that too, right? The Earth goes through STAGES! None of this is real! Only idiots believe in something as obviously fake as Global Warming.
Adult Written byHal and Elaine April 9, 2008

Excellent Film, Thought Provoking & Entertaining

We were a bit concerned that this film might be too slow or complex but it was actaully very interesting for us and our child. I would say a thoughtful child 8 and older would enjoy and get something out of this film. Ages 10 and above are probably ideal. The animated sequences referenced are not a problem. You might feel a bit said for the polar bear who can't find an ice patch to rest on but its no worse than that. There are victums of Katrina shown but it is the suffering in the Superdome that is poignant; the bodies are not easily recognisable as such and both these Katrina scenes are very brief.
Adult Written byjjuniper April 9, 2008

Important movie

Our media has unfortunately been ignoring the fact of global climate change, even though it is arguably the most important problem we face. It is about survival, plain and simple. Al Gore does human kind a great service by bringing the facts to the public. Please do see this movie. My 14-yr-old daughter was glad she saw it.
Adult Written byPontiusPilate April 9, 2008