All parent member reviews for Anastasia

Adult Written byChristine CSW April 9, 2008

Good Story! Great Music! Beware the villain!

Let me begin by saying that this movie was very enjoyable. The music/lyrics, written by Flaherty/Ahrens, is often like listening to a Broadway show. (These writers also wrote Broadway's 1990's "Ragtime".) The voices of the singers are also from Broadway (Liz Callaway as Anastasia.)The musical numbers are all upbeat and fun. My 2 year-old loved the group numbers with all of the dancing and lots of movement on the screen. Even Rasputan's song is written to sound "happy" - somewhat like feeling of The Haunted House in Disneyworld. The plot is intriguing,and actually inspired me to find out more about this true story. Did Anastasia actually survived the execution of her entire family? I recently saw this movie at a theatre during a summer movie festival. I took my young 2 year-old and young 4 year-old to see it. Though I had seen Anastasia years ago when it was in the theatres the first time, I had forgotten all about the Villian and the opening scene. The Villian, Rasputan, is introduced in the opening scene where he puts a curse on the royal family. The family is then executed, off screen. This entire sequence can be scary for young children. Rasputan is then seen next (and throughout the movie) as a decaying body hanging in the balance between heaven/hell. (This is not specifically mentioned, but we are led to believe it.) Though it is portrayed as humorous when his whithered hand falls off, or when his little "demon/bug" friends sing "In the Dark of the Night" this can also be scary for little ones. I laughed it off with my kids so they wouldn't get upset. "Look, the silly man's hand fell off!" I found myself wide eyed as I watched those few scenes hoping my kids wouldn't freak out. They both made it through, albeit on my lap and tucked under my arm. My 2 year old sat still for 90% of it and my 4 year watched the whole thing. However, in hindsight, I probably would have waited until they were at least over 5. Use your judgement with your own kids. Mine aren't having nightmares, but if they did, I could see why! Overall, we really liked it. We are playing the soundtrack at home as a reminder of a fun day at the movies.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byTTU03Grad April 28, 2011

Inappropriate for young children!!

This movie was NOT what I expected. Given it's "G" rating, I didn't think twice before letting my 3 and 6 year olds watch it. We turned it off within 15 minutes. Way too many creepy, evil scenes! Very dark for a movie marketed to kids.
Adult Written byParamoreFan09 October 4, 2014

I'm 18 and watched this as a young kid, see how it affected me!

I just watched this movie recently after not seeing it in about a decade and I have to say, it's so weird watching a movie at an age where you can understand everything and your last memories of watching it, you couldn't. Anyways, though, here's what I think about Anastasia. I'll start with the story. Most people know that the story of Anastasia is based upon true and very tragic events, and that in reality, Anastasia was brutally murdered along with her family. I think that had already been discovered before this movie was made, making this kind of an odd subject to make a kids' movie out of. I do want to say, though, to parents who are concerned about the historical inaccuracy, don't be. I watched this movie between ages 2-5 and when I eventually found out Anastasia had died, I wasn't traumatized to find my favorite movie princess had been killed. It wasn't upsetting, I don't even remember it. As a kid, I never viewed the movie as a reality even though I knew it was based off a real mystery, it really was just a movie to me, and one of my absolute favorites. The music in this movie is lovely, and a big reason for why I loved it so much. I was really touched emotionally by a lot of the songs and they stuck with me, it was great watching it at 18 years old and still being able to sing all the words even though I haven't heard the songs for years. I was really really scared of Rasputin as a kid, though, so his song, "In the Dark of the Night" brought not-so-nice memories and even put me off of a Queen song when I was young because it reminded me of it. Rasputin is a lot scarier than most villains in kids' movies. He is described as a corpse, and is falling apart for most of the movie. As a very squeamish kid, this horrified me. His eyes and body parts fall off, and at one point, his hand reaches out and his veins stretch far like elastic (still made me cringe watching that part as an adult). Twice, his skin is blown completely off his bones. He threatens Anastasia and her friends' lives twice, once on a runaway train and another by giving Anastasia pleasant visions in her sleep when in reality she is close to jumping off of a ship during a storm (that particularly creeped me out as a kid). Anyways, as scary as Rasputin was, it didn't put me off the movie, I just knew when to close my eyes and I did so I could enjoy the movie as a young child and not be upset by it. Nothing sexual comes to mind. Anastasia and Demitri share a kiss, Vlad subtly seduces the grandmother's servant to receive a favor in return (this went over my head completely as a kid, it's not worrisome.) This isn't simply a feel-good princess movie, it's really an adventure movie. Anastasia is a strong female character who is determined and independent, definitely a good role model for young girls. She's depicted to be both beautiful and graceful while being very strong, humble, and brave. Overall, I still love this movie and I'm glad I watched it again recently. The animation is beautiful and so is the music. Rasputin is scary and strange, but I was as squeamish as it gets and it didn't make me hate the movie. I think this is a great one for both boys and girls alike, as I said, it is an adventure movie for all audiences. I have so many happy memories of it that I'm grateful for all these years later, so I'd recommend it for kids around 3 and up.
Parent of a 3, 3, and 5 year old Written byjonallypugliese1023 November 4, 2013

Love Anastasia

I have loved this movie since I was a little girl. And now my daughters love it too. They are not scared in the slightest bit by this movie, I wasn't either when I was their age. I don't see how any one could be scared of this movie only over sensitive sheltered kids, that are the exact opposite of my husband and I's perfect little angels
Parent of a 5 year old Written byslantmaster March 20, 2011

Parent of a 2, 3, and 6 year old Written byCowlesct January 10, 2011

Okay for those who already know the story of the Romanovs

We didn't even get past the first 20 minutes with my almost 7 year old. She asked not to watch it anymore - too much focus on executions and scary images.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byCautious Mother September 22, 2009

Too much subject matter on evil, the dead, and portrial of such is too graffic for kids youner than 9 or 10 years of age
Parent of a 5 year old Written bylajhsdfvhabsdv April 10, 2009

Not for the little ones!!!!!

I think the G rating is wrong. The villian is way to scary for small kids. The plot is also rather complicated for young children.