All parent member reviews for Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera

Parent Written byI Tell It Like It Is June 30, 2011

Very good movie. In fact, a great movie.

It isnt a very violent film. We see a man get hanged. Thats about the worst of it. A man gets a bloody arm as the result of a swordfight. D**n is used frequently. A man calls a woman a "delilah" and a "demon". Women dance in suggestive outfits. A woman sings that a girl has slept with a man. A man runs his arms suggestively over a woman, she is wearing a shoulderless dress that at times appears it might slip off. A man and a woman kiss several times, nothing too passionate. Naked statues. Tons and tons of naked statues. Seen throughout the movie.
Parent Written byhenry89e March 23, 2014

phantom of the opera

Personally it's a good movie. I first saw it when I was 9 years old and it didn't bother me, but it really depends on your child/children. there are some things that might bother them, like the unmasking, which shows slightly strong language." damn you, you little prying pandora, you lying deliah, curse you". which might not sit well with some children. One thing you deffintly want to think about is "past the point of no return" which has a very sexual and seductive meaning, along with the costumes,&lyrics. Personally you nedd to think about YOUR child, and his mentality, other than the movie itself. The only nudity is when carlottta is singing after think of me and one of the stagehands shows his rear end, there is really no reason to be worried about it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion February 3, 2009

A Haunting, Lucious, and Beautiful Achievement!

Coming from a long-time PHANTOM fan who has seen the play and listened to the music for SO long, I can say that the movie lived up to my expectations. Gerard Butler fell short of Michael Crawford's performance, but alone, when you're not comparing him to Crawford, he's great. The rest of the actors are spectacular, the visuals blow you out of your seat, and the opulent, breathtaking music has never sounded better. Questionable material: Violence and sex. The Phantom has some anger issues, and he strangles several people onscreen. He is abused as a child, and viewers might be disturbed by his childhood disfigurement and murder. The Phantom's obsession with Christine is very physical, and though nothing is shown, there is some sensuous touching (rubbing of arms and clothed stomachs) and mention of "when we're one". A man briefly moons Carlotta, and you see his bare behind. Language is some "d**ns" and "hells". Great, breathtaking film, though not for all.
Adult Written byyami0204 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bybroadwaybaby April 9, 2008

It's almost really, really good.

But then you realize that it was made only for the money. Still, however, when you look past the raspy voices with their underwater quality, all the garish sets, costumes, and delightful melodrama are enough to keep you entertained for the flick's just-over-two-hours length. Advice, though: instead of wasting ten bucks on this, waste sixty on balcony seats for the touring show. It's much, much better.
Adult Written bylelexy2000 December 20, 2013

The Phantom of the Opera

I Thought it was a really good movie and i thought Emmy Rossum, Gerard Butler, and Patrick Wilson have really amazing voices. This movie is what shot Emmy Rossum to Stardom. Parents have to be careful with the phantoms obession of Christine with watching it with there kids
Parent of a 10 year old Written byxboxgeek April 25, 2011

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA IS THERE INSIDE MY MIND! :P

the phantom of the opera is one of the greatest stage shows of all time lasting 24 years in the theatre it is truley andrew loyed webbers phenominon and a favorite of mine so when they made a movie i had high expectations ( as andrew loyed webber was on the set) and all i can say is they reached those expectations :)
Parent of a 10 year old Written bygeorges113 September 11, 2009

GREATEST MOVIE EVER.... A MUST WATCH

great music great movie wonderful story... after u watch it u feel ur heart is no longer one piece... the story is about glory beauty of the spirit that is not what the face looks like.... great morale through out the movie... -Violence: A character is killed dramatically Another is wounded A huge fire rises - Drinking: i remember one character drinking from a bottle probably vine - Smoking: one of the mangers of the opera smokes cigar and then gives it to a girl his laughing with to smoke it but the scene is cut before she has it - Sexually: 2 characters are seen in the background hugging and having a long kiss about 5 seconds the scene... characters still fully clothed and even the kiss is not visible seems like a hug One character when an opera singer he doesn't like passes by shows his bare butt.. A character when having his role in the opera touches the back of 2 girls and the crowd laughs and the manager says "this is the kind of thing the public loves" (though they're all fully clothed the first girl less than a second and the second one about 1 or 2 seconds) And as we read in the rating of the site above "Sexual undertones in the Phantom's obsession." the girl says to him that he's now more interested in flesh.. Later there's a kiss between the girl and her lover.. These are not things to worry about... the movie could be watched by an 11 or 12 year old... but in order to be liked and understood the person watching it must be at least 13 14 15... hope i helped u decide if it's appropriate NOT TO MISS GREATEST MOVIE EVER EVER EVER
Adult Written bydenmarkriot April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymandyzdandy06@h... April 9, 2008

amazing

i've never been to broadway to see the original production. but i thought that the music and actor and actresses were amazing!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bykarenkonigsberg April 9, 2008

MUST SEE!!!!!!!!!

Bland? BLAND????? How could anyone in their right mind call Gerard Butler bland? As a (former) actress/singer/dancer, and a very hard-to-please one at that, I cannot remember the last time I was so utterly mesmerized by a performance so blazingly passionate and dead-on as that of Gerard Butler's. Do yourself a favor: don't listen to any negative reviews, and see this movie for yourself. It will blow you away.
Adult Written byToni Purple November 29, 2010

Perfectly fine for almost anyone

The stage musical is amazing, the movie is pretty good. If someone likes musicals they should be allowed to see it, there's nothing terrible here that will horribly scar small children. It's fine.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymahfit11 September 20, 2010

AWESOME

this is my all time favorite movie!! go see it with any age kid.. there is a couple seens of brief action violence. for sex there is one guy who moons carlotta( you can see the hairs on his butt) and one or two f**ks and one or two s**ts, and one hell. but still go see it!
Adult Written bymisslizzie April 9, 2008

I love this movie

I love this movie. Parents should know that there is a very brief moon scene and some alcohol use. I don't think kids under 13 should watch this only because they might not get the story line.
Parent Written byflipflops2012 January 30, 2012

Amazing movie!

Personally, I am not a big fan of musicals but I really enjoyed this one. The story line is excellent, but in my opinion the actors are what really made the movie. The only thing about the movie that some parents might not approve of is the violence. There is quite a bit of violence, but the only really disturbing scene I can think of is the scene that someone is shown hanged but it is a very brief scene.
Adult Written byChristian reveiwer October 31, 2009

A moive to cherish

I have wanted to see phantom of the opera for a long time. It was really decent. There are some iffy parts. The way the Phantom has been treated as a young boy is a little disterbing for me and the way the phantom trys to kill is not my cup of tea. I will say this, in the end it is a great moive after all is said and done.
Adult Written byChi to April 9, 2008
Adult Written byjesus3boy October 14, 2009
awesome movie!! one dude moons the camera and almost every statue is of a topless woman which is kinda distracting.... but not too bad!
Adult Written byactonitnow@aol.com April 9, 2008

This is not just another “Beauty and the Beast”!

In the fairy tale of the Beauty and the Beast, the beast is noble, but in this fantastic film, the Phantom is a conflicted murderer. In this story filled with diverse characters and dramatic presentation you come to know a young soprano haunted by a warped genius who wants to possess her. She then rediscovers true love in her childhood sweetheart Raoul, but the Phantom will not have her with any other. The film has beautiful presentation and a good storyline. Even if you don’t enjoy the acting or find the story a bit weird, you have to say something for the music which is a work of art in its own right. You might want to discuss how the Phantom wallows in his own self pity, not remembering how good Madam Geri has been to him. You can also notice how the Phantom must copy Raoul’s love song and is not able to come up with his own to sing to Christine. His own dark music ends when Christine breaks her bondage and escapes him by demonstrating her love for Raoul.
Adult Written byVampireGirl April 9, 2008

AMAZING AND BREATH TAKING

This was an amazing movie