Kid reviews for Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera

Slightly stiff but sumptuous and faithful production.

Teen, 15 years old Written byA.Ham February 5, 2019

Beautifully done, but the singing lacks

I would not say that Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler are the best Phantom/Christine duo, my vote definitely goes to the praised Sierra Boggess and Ramin Karimloo, but they definitely make the movie worth watching. If you don't know the basic plot of the story, a young (first soprano) chorus girl has a mysterious teacher who wears a mask (known as the Phantom) and when the chorus girl replaces the angered lead Soprano of the Paris Opera, the Phantom decides that his top priority is making Christine his and making her the lead Soprano. This show has been running on Broadway for 31 years for a reason. Emmy Rossum nowadays is a strong singer, but back when this was filmed (in her teen years) she had a weak voice, while the role of Christine calls for a strong soprano. The acting the director wanted her to display is nothing much, but she does do a fantastic job in the final lair. Patrick Wilson nails the role of dreamy Raoul, and he is a fantastic singer. Gerard Butler, on the other hand, is one of the worst singers I have ever heard. Nevertheless, that's who they cast as the Phantom so we must accept it. Other than Gerard and Emmy, the acting and singing is fantastic. The movie flows a bit differently from the stage show, but it works. Emmy Rossum's version of "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" is amazing, almost as good as Sierra Boggess' (the 25th anniversary concert Christine) and the original Christine, Sarah Brightman's, rendition. "All I Ask of You" is beautiful. What to be worried about (what this movie contains): Great Messages: Lacking. Basically, don't talk to shady men in masks. Also, compassion is a virtue. Great Role Models: Christine is able to show the Phantom compassion despite his murderous tendencies. Raoul protects Christine. VIOLENCE: Not much, a sword fighting scene, a VERY fake decapitated head prop, and the Phantom's face which is poorly done. SEX: quite a bit of undertones. In "Prima Donna," the Opera managers say "a chorus girl whose gone and slept with the Patron" but it is done in a fairly quick manner and is nothing to worry about. A man moons the camera but it is from afar and is brief. Chorus girls flirt with stagehands. In the final lair, Christine says, "am I now to be prey, to your lust for flesh," meaning that she fears being raped by the Phantom (it doesn't happen). A few dramatic kisses. LANGUAGE: "damn," "hell/hellspawn", maybe bastard? Absolutely nothing horrid. DRINKING/DRUGS/SMOKING: Maybe a flask backstage. Nothing horrible.

Teen, 14 years old Written bylovelovelove April 11, 2018

Beautiful Film

First and foremost, I'd like to say that this film is a masterpiece which millions of people across the world fell in love with. I first saw it in third grade, and I was officially OBSESSED. I love it, and so does my family. However, although The Phantom of the Opera is notably THE most successful musical of all time (not to mention the longest running), a huge lack of teens have heard of it. This fim/musical is something that is not just for theatre geeks. It's about loving someone no matter who they are, and how love can come in many forms. It's also a thriller/mystery, which will interest teens.

This film does contain some things that are questionable. There is a 1 second frame of a man's bare butt, and there's naked statues everywhere. It should be noted that, in regard to the statues, it's what was considered artistic and beautiful. It's no different than a nude painting, really. It's really just for the purpose of historical accuracy. There's kissing, touching, the usual lovey dovey content.

As for violence, a bit of blood after a sword fight, choking, strangling with a noose (the man ends up dead and is dangling from the rafters), and whipping. There is also a deformity on The Phantom's face, but that's from birth.

Swearing constists of damn and hell. But, hell is used only in the proper context, when speaking of 'The Angel in Hell' or 'This loathsome gargoyle who burns in Hell but yearns for Heaven.' There is only one time it is used in a profane manner. 'Who the hell is he?'

Christine is a positive role model, as is Raoul, Madame Giry, and Meg Giry. However, the Phantom is definitely an extremely complex character. He is traumatized and has a very hard time understanding love, as he never really had any. He is extremely possessive and manipulative. At one point where Christine wants to take off his mask, he shoves her to the floor, and calls her a viper, prying Pandora, demon, and a Little Lying Delilah. He goes so far as to have her other love interest tied up in a noose, with him holding the rope to kill him at any moment if she doesn't decide to spend her life with him. He's very toxic, yet has another loving and caring side that comes out around Christine.

Topics to discuss would be the depth of the characters, such as the Phantom and Christine, relationships between characters, how music made the story more powerful, e.t.c.

Overall, the movie is something that anyone over ten could handle. I believe it can be used as educational as well, in music classes and such, because The Phantom of the Opera isn't just a musical/film; it's an experience. It really gets to your heart and keeps you thinking after the screen goes black. This is a must see for everyone!

Kid, 11 years old September 12, 2021
I handled it win I was 5 but better to wait until 11

Teen, 15 years old Written byviolet_flowers September 9, 2021

One of my favorites!

I first saw this movie when I was in 8th grade English Class. (I had just turned 13.) I think that was the perfect age for me to see this film. There is some violence, probably nothing a small child should see, but a pre-teen watching should be fine. The movie aesthetics are probably the best I've ever seen. The costumes and sets are just jaw dropping. And don't get me started on the soundtrack, 100% my favorite movie-musical soundtrack! Such a fun-wild ride this movie takes you on, I love it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bylovedove59 August 2, 2021

one of my favorite movies and my favorite musical!

POTO has forever changed my life. My sister started watching it when she was 7, but I think 7 is a little young so I chose 9. As you may know, Erik (the Phantom's name that is never mentioned and only true Phans know) stalks Christine and is madly in love with her. You may also know that Erik is much older than Christine, but I think he is 27 and she is 16. Beautiful music, there are some cuss words, but only "damn", "damnable", "hell", and that is pretty much it. In the song The Point Of No Return, there is one line that says,"What sweet seduction lies before us" and other than that, not too sexy (unless you want to talk about Love Never Dies...). There is some making out but very brief (unless you count that one scene where Meg looks at that couple in between Think of Me and Angel of Music but you probably just now realized that as I just told you). Erik's deformity isn't that bad compared to earlier versions of him (like the 1920s silent movie), but it is still a deformity and might freak out younger kids at first. There are 3 murders, it is just by hanging, nothing too bad or modern (also unless your kid is a Boy or Girl Scout they should know how to tie a noose), 2 shots of attempted murder (drowning and hanging), a sword fight (Raoul gets stabbed in the arm and I am not counting this as attempted murder).

Kid, 12 years old July 2, 2021

A little dragged out, but Perfect otherwise

The only problem with this movie is just that it seems to be putting what could be told in 1 hour and 45 minutes into a 2 hour and 21 minute movie.

It just gets a little boring at times, and can’t blame it for not appealing to my sense of pace, because this musical is obviously meant for adults to go see, but if I had to give it a sentence, it would be that is was just a bit to long.

There is one fight in the entire film, a sword fight between Raul and The Phantom, and it does spill blood, but it’s not gory or anything like that, and I think that the only significant death in the film is when the Phantom hangs a man from the rafters above the stage when a performance is going on, but it’s kinda just to send a message to the new theatre owners that their not running it right.

Other than that, the music is great, the casting is good (although I have seen some complaints that Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler are not an ideal pair for The Phantom/Christine), the moments that are meant to be intense are actually intense, the comedic parts are funny, and overall it’s just a good film.

Also, can we all agree that Gerard Butler looks just as good with half his face covered as he usually does?
Teen, 17 years old Written byAGClyde June 7, 2021

Great Music

My family listened to the soundtrack all the time. It's really good. What really don't like about this movie is that all of the characters are stupid. But, there wouldn't be much of a story if everyone used their brains. The most violence is a hanging and sexiness is more of the clothing on not the mild interactions between couples. In general, good music + stupid people = alright movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLea W. Walker March 1, 2021

Wonderful

This is a phenomenal movie!! One of my faves for sure
There are some things to be wary of:
*A plentiful number of shirtless female statues scattered throughout the whole movie,
*A line in one of the last songs that goes "Our bodies entwined beneath the sheets",
*A scene where the Phantom runs his hands down Christine's chest and torso
*A bared bottom (brief)
*A violent killing
*Cleavage
*Minor peril

These re just some things to keep in mind when watching with small children, and the movie might bore or scare them, but great for slightly older children!!
Kid, 11 years old February 14, 2021

Phantom of the opera

I watched phantom of the opera when I was 5 years old and I absolutely loved the singing. It is a great story and was over all a good movie. Kid’s around the age of 8 maybe 7 should watch the movie so they will understand the movie and the emotional state of the characters
Kid, 11 years old October 29, 2020

Great Movie

This movie is great! The singing is fabulous, and the plot is engaging. But keep this movie off for little kids. It has a good amount of killing and blood. In one scene Phantom hangs a guy and in another he threatens to. But Emmy Rossum is a fabulous opera singer. Yet there is some mild language including D*mn and Hell. But Hell is only used as the Christian meaning. And when the chandelier crashes and raises up there is some scary music and topless statues. But overall this movie is beautiful. And almost made me cry.
Kid, 9 years old October 21, 2020

Lots of drama my favorite

Lots of drama Classic little violence
Teen, 13 years old Written byAprilapploosa September 15, 2020

No positive messages but the music is fantastic!

One violent scene but it is ful of action and romance.
Best movie ever!
Teen, 14 years old Written bytheatrekid July 12, 2020

Angel Of Music

I first must praise Emmy Rossum’s singing voice, which was wonderful. I enjoyed the film version of Phantom, and I feel it brought so much life to the story. It gained a lot and didn’t lose anything.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysafecracker May 22, 2020
Teen, 13 years old Written by13_year_old May 10, 2020

Teenager views on this movie

I absolutely love this movie. The music is fantastic. There’s not a lot of inappropriate stuff. All and all a great movie. Just be weary of a mans butt (not shown in a sexual way) and the word damn in one of the songs. Another thing their is a scene in which the phantom as a child is beaten with a rod. Also some of the dresses the women wear are anything but modest. But that shouldn’t really be a problem since most of the viewers I’m guessing are teen girls and there moms. Even with all of this, my 6 and 8 year old cousins watched this movie, so it’s really up to you. Again, would HIGHLY recommend watching this.

Kid, 9 years old April 15, 2020

I love this!

I watched this movie when I was 8. My grandma and I really enjoyed it! Yes, it does say h*ll a couple times. But, everything besides the bad words and the levels scariness, it is overall a great movie.

Teen, 15 years old Written byShadowhunter57 August 21, 2019

It’s great, and anyone who disagrees doesn’t understand it

This movie is literally gold. The people complaining obviously didn’t understand the plot correctly. No it ISN’T the same as the broadway version, but ANYTHING being turned into a movie won’t be the same. You should expect the movie to be different. This is a complex plot, and it’s not meant for you 7 year old to watch. There is a LOT more to the phantom’s abuse than him just being “picked on” as a kid, and if picked on is the best way your kid can describe it then that kid shouldn’t be watching this movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byreviewergurl April 5, 2019

Decent, but go for the 2011 Royal Albert Hall one

In terms of content, it's pretty mild. The Phantom kills 2 people, and doesn't really show much remorse. The "Music of the Night" scene is riddled with sexual caresses, and a lot of it could certainly be seen as sexual innuendo to adults/teens but little kids won't notice or care much. It's a pretty emotional movie though. The Phantom's disfigurement isn't really THAT bad,(compared to the stage production, which is waaaaaay better) but his attitude and many of his reactions with Christine are pretty emotional. Especially the ending scene, there's a lot of crying and the Phantom changes his behavior really abruptly, which might confuse little kids.
All in all, little ones might not like this, but it's actually a really good story with messages like acceptance, love, and introduces talking points like how we judge people in society based on appearance. However, the acting is a lot better in the 2011 25th anniversary(made me cry for 10 minutes), so that's worth a watch as well.

Teen, 14 years old Written byjust_watching January 22, 2019

Great movie!

I love phantom of the opera, and the film is a nice alternative if there are no shows nearby. There are some darker themes which potentially could be too dark for younger children, and a man is hanged, however there is no blood or goryness seen. The music is great as well, and I would say that kids might enjoy it more from age 12 up. Although the end doesn’t work out perfectly, it teaches children to be selfless as Christine sacrificed herself to save her love, and selflessly offered to show the Phantom he is not alone.

Teen, 16 years old Written byjoy_joy November 5, 2018

I LOVE this movie but... watch out

Okay, so this movie has great acting, singing, the works...but it's pretty inappropriate. First off, most of the female actors have very low shirts/dresses; basically, any outfit they have in this movie is VERY revealing. Carlotta, Christine, etc. Then, we also see a dude moon Carlotta in a scene. We see the shadow of another dude hanging (like dead) from when the Phantom hangs him during a show and everybody freaks out. We see Raoul get in a swordfight with the Phantom; he is cut on his arm. The Phantom also tries to hang Raoul if Christine doesn't choose to love him instead of Raoul. The chandelier falls and kills or makes Carlotta's husband unconscious (or boyfriend). There are flashbacks to the Phantom's sad/scary days as a kid. CREEPY AND SCARY (I always skip that part of the movie; a dude is strangled in that part too). There is a lot of violence and madness. There is also a lot of lust from the Phantom. He deceives Christine many times, touches her in a gross way, and fills her mind with darkness. The songs are about touching each-other (Christine and the Phantom), sex, love, going to the dark side, etc. We see drinking and smoking. We have some language also: "d‑‑n," "h‑‑‑", and some uses of God's name: "my god," "for god’s sake". Although the actual organ playing is AMAZING- the words not so much. I love this movie but it didn't need to go THAT far.