All teen and kid member reviews for Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera

Teen, 15 years old Written byblonde_reb June 25, 2011

Phantom

I'm going to start off by saying, I'm a HUGE musical fan so I might be a little more biased. But this movie is fantastic. Role models- I would have to say Madame Girie and Christine are role models in this movie. Madame Girie saved the Eric (phantom) when he was very young from the gypsies/freak-circus. Although, she had many opportunities to stop him from killing people. Christine is a role model because she did not care about Eric's looks. Violence- The Phantom hangs a man during an opera, there is a sword fight in the grave yard (not too violent), near drowned, and chandelier crashed. Sexuality- not bad at all. Even though the Phantom is obsessed with her, he could have taken advantage of her but he didn't. Such a great movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byNiki Rae July 10, 2013

:D

this is my favorite musical movie of ALL TIME!!!!
Kid, 12 years old January 1, 2011

Cool Movie

I love it I watched at school when I was 9 and I have loved it since.Watch it if you are a musican I love it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDarkMidnight October 26, 2010

Gorgiously done, thank you Andrew Lloyd Webber!

All I can say is.. WOW. This is very, very good, even funny on some parts! I was personally rooting for Eric (the Phantom) but.. oh well. Okay, lets start off. As far as behavior: Christine is pretty.. hipnotic when the phantom sings to her, but she is generally kind and respectful. The Phantom.. well, he can't help it, he wasn't treated faitly, he's obsessive towrd Christine, willing to kill. But like I said he has a back story and you can't help but love him! Violence: actually its not that bad, yes, he kills, but not really gory, there's sword fights (only resulting with a cut at the arm) a hanging death (brief but obvious) some people are killed but not shown on screen, someone is crushed by the chandaler, and the phantom has a thing with like either gagging or hanging his victoms. But you cannot simply dismiss this movie because of something like that, its gorgiously done! Sex: The phantom is pretty lusting, but not to the disrespectful point, two main kissing scenes, neither overdone or very long. Once there was a mooning, disturbing but funny. Drugs/Alcahol: A few drinks, but I hardly noticed it. Not a big deal. Language: "D*mn" and "hell" but not as cursing persay. This was one of the best movies I've ever seen, don't dismiss it! Me and my mother watched it and loved it, and so did my chorus class!
Kid, 10 years old January 19, 2014

The Phantom of the Opera

Suspenseful and good
Kid, 12 years old November 26, 2013

Phantastic!

I am completely Phantom of the Opera obsessed! I am going to be honest, I believe I first saw the movie when I was around 6. Even when I was 6 I was not disturbed or scared by this movie. For anyone younger than 9 it may be iffy but know your kid. There are only about two scenes that are a bit violent. In the cemetery Raoul and the Phantom sword fight and Raoul get his arm slit and there is a little blood around his shirt. During the play in the opera the Phantom does hang a man from the catwalk above the stage. That part is fairly violent and I could easily see a younger child being scared of this. There is no sex. Christine does kiss Raoul and kisses the Phantom at the ending! There is a lot of cleavage, especially at the Masquerade when the women wear dress with tight corsets. That might be awkward with a boy but for girls it is no biggie. Overall it is a great movie! Hope you enjoy it if you haven't already :)
Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2011

Good movie (:

This movie is okay. It was scary at some parts, but overall, this movie was good.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAuroraDiAngelo June 18, 2016

Great!

Watched this first time at the age of 12, and LOVED it. It is not that violent, and it would not have hurt me to watch when I was eight. Of course, some children would have to wait until they are twelve, and some might find it incredibly boring, but that is a question of maturity. An absolutely great movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjojomalka03 April 21, 2016

Excellent Movie but The Phantom has Issues

There is no major violence. The three "violent" scenes are a chase ending with a hanging in the middle of an opera, a quick sword fight in the graveyard, and a scene where the phantom ties up Raoul and almost hangs him. In addition, the Phantom's face is not very disfigured. The most disturbing thing is the Phantom's creepy sense of entitlement to Christine. The man has serious issues. His obsession is kind of freaky. However, the music is excellent. NOTE: In the overture, there are naked statues.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRainbow.lily_2000 April 7, 2016

An amazing film!

I am obsessed with this film and the music especially considering I hate romace films but this was just right. I think that the choice of cast is great and that the songs were performed exceptionally well! When looking at the age rating, I would say the upper end of 12 simply because of the costumes being a bit revealing. I also think that anyone under 12 could find this film a little bit scary and younger boys may not be happy with the females wearing corsets with a lot of cleaverage showing. Overall the language isn't explicit but some words like "damn" are used quite frequently, however, it depends whether you are comfortable hearing those words. In conclusion,no matter what crtitcs say I think that this is a great movie with some exceptional singers and actors!
Teen, 13 years old Written byparrotz1236 August 23, 2015

Inspiring and Witty

Great musical overall! Definitely for mature 11 year olds and 12 year olds. One problem: Naked statues. Naked statues everywhere. Christine is a good role model because even with the phantoms ah, face, she still accepts him as a teacher. So, aside from the naked statues and a guy hanging from the rafters, pretty good!
Teen, 16 years old Written byILoveBroadway January 18, 2015

Phantom of the Opera

Beautifully created movie based of the musical! Well-casted and wonderful music. Phantom of the Opera is certainly has a deeper storyline, so recommended for an older audience. Can be a bit scary espeacially for younger kids when *small spoiler* Christine takes off the phantom's mask towards the end of the movie. Musical classic!
Kid, 11 years old August 17, 2014

Amazing

This film is broadway-based, dramatic film that has some violence like one person using a rope to try to suffocate three people, killing two of them. Some passionate kissing and some use of alcohol and cigars. Overall a great movie to watch with kids 10 and up
Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2014

so sad but beautiful for kids

Phantom isn't really little kid friendly but I think its ok for 10 year olds. Its such a sad love story with such beautiful music so try and watch it its wonderful
Kid, 10 years old March 9, 2014
Teen, 15 years old Written byRhian De Questa January 5, 2014

The Music of the Night

This is a very good take on the classic musical. The effects were beautiful, as were the costumes, dances and songs. Parents should know that the idea of the Phantom himself is rather frightening, though the only surprising things he does is shout at Christine, calling her some names that include "lying Delilah" and "d**n you", and you see his horribly disfigured face when Christine takes his mask off the second time. There are some sword fights and a bit of blood, nothing too graphic, and the Phantom uses his skill with a lasso to strangle several characters to death, dropping one of them onto stage in the middle of a performance. He is a menacing characters, often threatening death. A young child is shown off in a cage and horribly beaten. Bare buttocks are flashed at a woman and there is a lot of cleavage, kissing and many naked statues. Sensual behavior from the Phantom to Christine. Characters include Christine Daae, a lovely soprano who was childhood sweethearts with Raoul, the patron of the opera. After her father died Christine was found by an "angel of music", who taught her to sing and was her constant companion for about a decade, perhaps longer. At the end Christine is faced with a choice between the good man she loves and the maniac who loves her - and has cared for and taught her in her loneliness. Emmy Rossum's voice is not half as good as Sarah Brightman's but she does a decent job. The Phantom of the Opera himself is played by Gerard Butler. While he may not have the perfect opera voice that Michael Crawford does, he brings a raw emotion and a deeper undertone that I found pleasing, especially when his Scottish accent occasionally came through. He hit every note cleanly and in my opinion did a wonderful job in portraying the pitiable maniac. Abused and hated for something he cannot help - his personal appearance - the genius was thrust into hiding as a child and exploited his musical and architectural brains on building an underground kingdom with which to live in darkness so that he would never have to be exposed again. He watches over Christine with not only a loving eye but an ear for her voice. His voice is warm and mesmerizing. Unfortunately his want for Christine as a wife (which is not explained in the film but is very clear in the book - he wanted to marry her so that he could go out into the world without shame, not just lust after her) leads to jealousy and all of his bitterness at the world comes out in murderous rage because he believes Christine hates him because he showed her his face when she asked. My only complaint against Gerard Butler's portrayal of the Phantom is that he is too good looking. The Phantom is described as ugly, and Gerard Butler hardly falls into that category. Raoul is a shallow character but played well. He is a good man but not very understanding of Christine's need and synonymous fear of the Phantom. Overall the voices, with the exception of Gerard Butler and Minnie Driver's Carlotta are not on par with those of the Broadway actors but it is a well done film that is dazzling to watch and can be viewed over and over. It would most likely be easier to understand and sympathize with if you have read the book, however. Still, the Phantom of the Opera remains one of the best beloved musicals of all time and the film does it good justice.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydoctor11 October 18, 2013

Memorable!

ok this was like the les miserables os the 2000s. creative and imaginative songs. i always sing along. this movie drags you right into what the opera was really like. both the magical side and the corrupt side. although les mis was a more heart wrenching(even though i only barely cried once) this has a lot of heart and spirit. VIOLENCE- there was little violence. a sword fight which resulted in a far from fatal cut to the arm. and a man was hung by the phantom, not very graphic. SEXY STUFF- the phantom does seduce Christine twice by feeling her sides. it wasn't graphi and didnt lead to anything. SWEARING- d*mn, is yelled at Christine by the phnatom when she tries to pull of his mask. h*ll, the phantom says he is a gargoyle that burns in h*ll but yearns for heaven. DRINKING AND SMOKING- there is a party during the masquerade in the opera house that involves drinking and smoking. people are obviously getting out of hand.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarahzazou October 5, 2013

Amazing production!

You will fall in love with this production! If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. From the beautiful music, story, sets, costumes, and acting any girl will swoon over the Phantom! I am surprised though that for the "sexy stuff" category, they gave this movie a 0 because there are multiple make outs, the Phantom touches Christine, revealing costumes, and the entire movie is about seduction! That might make some younger viewers a bit uncomfortable but regardless, it's amazing. Just watch yourself become obsessed with the Phantom.
Kid, 12 years old August 27, 2013

Love...

We own the movie, and we LOVE it. nothing to worry about. Just a little violence.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySparklepants411 July 31, 2013

My Favorite Movie; and For Good Reason

I saw this movie in 8th grade choir; and I instantly fell in love with the music and the storyline. The only reason I wouldn't let a kiddo younger than twelve watch it is just because they probably wouldn't understand it quite as well. Even though the Phantom's obsession with Christine is mostly love, there is some very obvious sexual innuendo within the lyrics (i.e. "Music of the Night" and "Past the Point of No Return"). Nevertheless; Joel Schumacher put together an absolutely beautiful movie. I strongly recommend it!