Kid reviews for Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera

Slightly stiff but sumptuous and faithful production.

Teen, 15 years old Written byblonde_reb June 25, 2011

Phantom

I'm going to start off by saying, I'm a HUGE musical fan so I might be a little more biased. But this movie is fantastic. Role models- I would have to say Madame Girie and Christine are role models in this movie. Madame Girie saved the Eric (phantom) when he was very young from the gypsies/freak-circus. Although, she had many opportunities to stop him from killing people. Christine is a role model because she did not care about Eric's looks. Violence- The Phantom hangs a man during an opera, there is a sword fight in the grave yard (not too violent), near drowned, and chandelier crashed. Sexuality- not bad at all. Even though the Phantom is obsessed with her, he could have taken advantage of her but he didn't. Such a great movie!

Kid, 12 years old November 26, 2013

Phantastic!

I am completely Phantom of the Opera obsessed! I am going to be honest, I believe I first saw the movie when I was around 6. Even when I was 6 I was not disturbed or scared by this movie. For anyone younger than 9 it may be iffy but know your kid. There are only about two scenes that are a bit violent. In the cemetery Raoul and the Phantom sword fight and Raoul get his arm slit and there is a little blood around his shirt. During the play in the opera the Phantom does hang a man from the catwalk above the stage. That part is fairly violent and I could easily see a younger child being scared of this. There is no sex. Christine does kiss Raoul and kisses the Phantom at the ending! There is a lot of cleavage, especially at the Masquerade when the women wear dress with tight corsets. That might be awkward with a boy but for girls it is no biggie. Overall it is a great movie! Hope you enjoy it if you haven't already :)

Teen, 13 years old Written byNiki Rae July 10, 2013

:D

this is my favorite musical movie of ALL TIME!!!!

Kid, 10 years old January 19, 2014

The Phantom of the Opera

Suspenseful and good

Kid, 12 years old December 26, 2011

Great movie!!

I have honestly watched this movie every day this week! I love it! One part of the movie you need to watch out for is when La Collata comes back and a man on the balcony above moons her , exposing his rear.
Kid, 12 years old January 1, 2011

Cool Movie

I love it I watched at school when I was 9 and I have loved it since.Watch it if you are a musican I love it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byhabibid9421 May 21, 2009

not inniopropiate

watch out

Teen, 14 years old Written bylovelovelove April 11, 2018

Beautiful Film

First and foremost, I'd like to say that this film is a masterpiece which millions of people across the world fell in love with. I first saw it in third grade, and I was officially OBSESSED. I love it, and so does my family. However, although The Phantom of the Opera is notably THE most successful musical of all time (not to mention the longest running), a huge lack of teens have heard of it. This fim/musical is something that is not just for theatre geeks. It's about loving someone no matter who they are, and how love can come in many forms. It's also a thriller/mystery, which will interest teens. This film does contain some things that are questionable. There is a 1 second frame of a man's bare butt, and there's naked statues everywhere. It should be noted that, in regard to the statues, it's what was considered artistic and beautiful. It's no different than a nude painting, really. It's really just for the purpose of historical accuracy. There's kissing, touching, the usual lovey dovey content. As for violence, a bit of blood after a sword fight, choking, strangling with a noose (the man ends up dead and is dangling from the rafters), and whipping. There is also a deformity on The Phantom's face, but that's from birth. Swearing constists of damn and hell. But, hell is used only in the proper context, when speaking of 'The Angel in Hell' or 'This loathsome gargoyle who burns in Hell but yearns for Heaven.' There is only one time it is used in a profane manner. 'Who the hell is he?' Christine is a positive role model, as is Raoul, Madame Giry, and Meg Giry. However, the Phantom is definitely an extremely complex character. He is traumatized and has a very hard time understanding love, as he never really had any. He is extremely possessive and manipulative. At one point where Christine wants to take off his mask, he shoves her to the floor, and calls her a viper, prying Pandora, demon, and a Little Lying Delilah. He goes so far as to have her other love interest tied up in a noose, with him holding the rope to kill him at any moment if she doesn't decide to spend her life with him. He's very toxic, yet has another loving and caring side that comes out around Christine. Topics to discuss would be the depth of the characters, such as the Phantom and Christine, relationships between characters, how music made the story more powerful, e.t.c. Overall, the movie is something that anyone over ten could handle. I believe it can be used as educational as well, in music classes and such, because The Phantom of the Opera isn't just a musical/film; it's an experience. It really gets to your heart and keeps you thinking after the screen goes black. This is a must see for everyone!

Teen, 13 years old Written byparrotz1236 August 23, 2015

Inspiring and Witty

Great musical overall! Definitely for mature 11 year olds and 12 year olds. One problem: Naked statues. Naked statues everywhere. Christine is a good role model because even with the phantoms ah, face, she still accepts him as a teacher. So, aside from the naked statues and a guy hanging from the rafters, pretty good!

Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2011

Good movie (:

This movie is okay. It was scary at some parts, but overall, this movie was good.

Kid, 12 years old November 11, 2010

A price for the best

This personally is my favorite thing (It's my favorite movie, book, tv series, and musical)of all times. Even though some themes/contents may be a wee bit mature, I find it to be the best thing that's happened to me since my cat.

Teen, 14 years old Written byDarkMidnight October 26, 2010

Gorgiously done, thank you Andrew Lloyd Webber!

All I can say is.. WOW. This is very, very good, even funny on some parts! I was personally rooting for Eric (the Phantom) but.. oh well. Okay, lets start off. As far as behavior: Christine is pretty.. hipnotic when the phantom sings to her, but she is generally kind and respectful. The Phantom.. well, he can't help it, he wasn't treated faitly, he's obsessive towrd Christine, willing to kill. But like I said he has a back story and you can't help but love him! Violence: actually its not that bad, yes, he kills, but not really gory, there's sword fights (only resulting with a cut at the arm) a hanging death (brief but obvious) some people are killed but not shown on screen, someone is crushed by the chandaler, and the phantom has a thing with like either gagging or hanging his victoms. But you cannot simply dismiss this movie because of something like that, its gorgiously done! Sex: The phantom is pretty lusting, but not to the disrespectful point, two main kissing scenes, neither overdone or very long. Once there was a mooning, disturbing but funny. Drugs/Alcahol: A few drinks, but I hardly noticed it. Not a big deal. Language: "D*mn" and "hell" but not as cursing persay. This was one of the best movies I've ever seen, don't dismiss it! Me and my mother watched it and loved it, and so did my chorus class!

Teen, 15 years old Written byA.Ham February 5, 2019

Beautifully done, but the singing lacks

I would not say that Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler are the best Phantom/Christine duo, my vote definitely goes to the praised Sierra Boggess and Ramin Karimloo, but they definitely make the movie worth watching. If you don't know the basic plot of the story, a young (first soprano) chorus girl has a mysterious teacher who wears a mask (known as the Phantom) and when the chorus girl replaces the angered lead Soprano of the Paris Opera, the Phantom decides that his top priority is making Christine his and making her the lead Soprano. This show has been running on Broadway for 31 years for a reason. Emmy Rossum nowadays is a strong singer, but back when this was filmed (in her teen years) she had a weak voice, while the role of Christine calls for a strong soprano. The acting the director wanted her to display is nothing much, but she does do a fantastic job in the final lair. Patrick Wilson nails the role of dreamy Raoul, and he is a fantastic singer. Gerard Butler, on the other hand, is one of the worst singers I have ever heard. Nevertheless, that's who they cast as the Phantom so we must accept it. Other than Gerard and Emmy, the acting and singing is fantastic. The movie flows a bit differently from the stage show, but it works. Emmy Rossum's version of "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" is amazing, almost as good as Sierra Boggess' (the 25th anniversary concert Christine) and the original Christine, Sarah Brightman's, rendition. "All I Ask of You" is beautiful. What to be worried about (what this movie contains): Great Messages: Lacking. Basically, don't talk to shady men in masks. Also, compassion is a virtue. Great Role Models: Christine is able to show the Phantom compassion despite his murderous tendencies. Raoul protects Christine. VIOLENCE: Not much, a sword fighting scene, a VERY fake decapitated head prop, and the Phantom's face which is poorly done. SEX: quite a bit of undertones. In "Prima Donna," the Opera managers say "a chorus girl whose gone and slept with the Patron" but it is done in a fairly quick manner and is nothing to worry about. A man moons the camera but it is from afar and is brief. Chorus girls flirt with stagehands. In the final lair, Christine says, "am I now to be prey, to your lust for flesh," meaning that she fears being raped by the Phantom (it doesn't happen). A few dramatic kisses. LANGUAGE: "damn," "hell/hellspawn", maybe bastard? Absolutely nothing horrid. DRINKING/DRUGS/SMOKING: Maybe a flask backstage. Nothing horrible.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMusic Brings Joy March 31, 2018

Andrew Lloyd Webber's "The Phantom of the Opera" Is Visually Stunning With Powerful Music

As a young teen, watching "The Phantom of the Opera", I found the musical fresh and intriguing, with a captivating cast and music. The story is slightly disturbing in parts, with some images that might frighten younger viewers. Positive Messages - The musical centers on how your physical appearance should not define you. Positive Role Models - Raoul tries to defend and protect Christine, and tries to keep her safe from harm. Christine is passive throughout the movie, and generally lets things happen to herself, but she makes the right choice in the end, and stands up. Christine has a supportive friend. Violence - A man is strangled by the Phantom, and his dead body is seen dropping from the ceiling, suspended by a noose. In a flashback, a young Phantom can be seen strangling the swindler who whipped him. Later in the musical, the Phantom stabs a man, though this is not shown on screen and is easy to miss. In a sword fight, Raoul is slashed across the shoulder, and although the wound is not shown, blood can be seen on his shirt. A main character is nearly strangled to death in a violent way. Altogether, the violence is not graphic, and is probably appropriate to most children ten or older. Sex - The Phantom's obsession with Christine is creepy at times, and a little unsettling. In one scene, he runs his hands over her bare shoulders (she is wearing a sleeveless dress), and clothed stomach. Main characters kiss a few times. In one scene, Christine accuses the Phantom of a 'lust for flesh', and he responds by declaring he has been denied it because of his deformity. Language - There is little language or cursing, though a few minor swear words are used. The Phantom of the Opera is an enchanting and unique interpretation, which likely appeals mostly to tweens and up. Some elements and messages of the story might be lost on younger kids. A must see musical, filled with captivating music and an intriguing story!
Teen, 14 years old Written byjust_watching January 22, 2019

Great movie!

I love phantom of the opera, and the film is a nice alternative if there are no shows nearby. There are some darker themes which potentially could be too dark for younger children, and a man is hanged, however there is no blood or goryness seen. The music is great as well, and I would say that kids might enjoy it more from age 12 up. Although the end doesn’t work out perfectly, it teaches children to be selfless as Christine sacrificed herself to save her love, and selflessly offered to show the Phantom he is not alone.

Teen, 16 years old Written byjoy_joy November 5, 2018

I LOVE this movie but... watch out

Okay, so this movie has great acting, singing, the works...but it's pretty inappropriate. First off, most of the female actors have very low shirts/dresses; basically, any outfit they have in this movie is VERY revealing. Carlotta, Christine, etc. Then, we also see a dude moon Carlotta in a scene. We see the shadow of another dude hanging (like dead) from when the Phantom hangs him during a show and everybody freaks out. We see Raoul get in a swordfight with the Phantom; he is cut on his arm. The Phantom also tries to hang Raoul if Christine doesn't choose to love him instead of Raoul. The chandelier falls and kills or makes Carlotta's husband unconscious (or boyfriend). There are flashbacks to the Phantom's sad/scary days as a kid. CREEPY AND SCARY (I always skip that part of the movie; a dude is strangled in that part too). There is a lot of violence and madness. There is also a lot of lust from the Phantom. He deceives Christine many times, touches her in a gross way, and fills her mind with darkness. The songs are about touching each-other (Christine and the Phantom), sex, love, going to the dark side, etc. We see drinking and smoking. We have some language also: "d‑‑n," "h‑‑‑", and some uses of God's name: "my god," "for god’s sake". Although the actual organ playing is AMAZING- the words not so much. I love this movie but it didn't need to go THAT far.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMusicalWhovian October 25, 2018

Extremely Faithful Adaptation - Not the best movie but great for "Phans"

If you're interested in Phantom, go see the musical. If you can't do that, just watch the movie, that's how I became obsessed. ALW's music is beautiful, and all of the singers are great except for Gerard Butler. Although this is rated PG-13, I'd say a twelve year old could watch this. It's barely graphic, with the Phantom's face being very bad CGI. There's a lot of sexual references, for example in Prima Donna the two opera owners say "happy to relieve a chorus girl, who's gone and slept with the patron?" It's fast and hard to catch, but does provide some humor to it. There are many scenes that are suggestive, for example in Past the Point of No Return some of the dancing is... interesting. There's little to no cussing. There are definitely kisses, some dramatic, but no steamy kissing. I highly would suggest this to a theatre kid, or anyone who likes cheesy love triangles. Also, whoever says that this Raoul isn't dreamy is wrong. 100% wrong.

Teen, 14 years old Written byblack.canary September 6, 2018

Amazing Film!

This is in the top 10 for me the movie was amazing and the only reason i'm rating it 14 and up is because you see a males backside for a second. Also a man is in a woman's dressing room and the phantom feels Christine in a sexual way. Other than that its AMAZING!

Teen, 16 years old Written bySSJAJ1302 August 12, 2018

Not the best adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s famous musical

Having grown up listening to songs from The Phantom of the Opera (especially sung by Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman), i was incredibly disappointed in Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum’s Phantom and Christine. Butler’s Phantom is, in my opinion, too aggressive and violent as compared to Crawford’s seductive, soothing, passionate Phantom and Rossum’s Christine is too shallow as compared to Brightman’s Christine. The movie tries so hard to live up to the musical and, in ways, it does. The sets are truly fantastic and the passion is there but the singing is off par, a result of having non-singing actors play singing roles, and the movie drags at times. However, you’re better off paying to see The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway in Jew York City.

Teen, 14 years old Written bylilystem6209 June 2, 2018

Not particularly impressive

I love the music of Phantom, but I found this performance of it flat and dry. They try. There's humor, romance, the opera, splendid costumes. However, I simply did not find it authentic. This is just my personal taste I suppose-- don't let it stop you from seeing the movie. I also watched it soon after surgery and in some discomfort, so take my opinion with a grain of salt! There is some violence (a sword fight, several murders, nothing gruesome), and implied sexual themes, including attempted abduction. There is a short scene in which a boy with a facial deformity is laughed at and abused at a carnival, which I think would have most disturbed me, personally, under age eleven.