All parent member reviews for Angels & Demons

Parent Written byPlague January 26, 2010

Angels and Demons

An awesome film. Kids might get confused by all the talking, but teens should understand it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion June 21, 2009

A Taut and Tightly-Wound Thriller...

ANGELS AND DEMONS is a very satisfying movie. It is very suspenseful and interesting, and has some great action scenes as well. Acting is great too; Tom Hanks and Ewan McGregor satisfy, as always. However, no one under the age of 13 should be admitted into this film under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. While kids aged 14 and up should be fine with the material, it is very violent and several scenes could be very disturbing for kids and teens alike (I even found some scenes very intense). Countless people are shot, one is exploded, and four prominent plot characters are killed in graphic, intense ways (one is suffocated by soil shoved down his throat and the camera unflinchingly shows rats knawing on his body. The second's lungs are punctured and he suffocates, though we don't see anything but him gasping for air. The third and fourth are both burned alive, and while no gore is visible, the camera, once again, doesn't flich as it shows them writhing in pain and agony). There is one intense scene where a man is barely prevented from drowning, and another where two men are almost killed in an isolated room deprived of oxygen. Five people are branded with hot irons (one branding is onscreen the others are not). Blood is displayed in all of these deaths and injuries. However, there is no sex and very, very mild language (one use each of "d**n" and "h*ll".
Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written byguysandadoll January 28, 2010

Positive Film, Despite the Violence

Though the film has violent and gory moments, the characters are mostly excellent role models and the story is fun and captivating.
Adult Written byRockybalboa211 February 20, 2011

I'm Catholic.. yeah, this movie is offensively dumb! Really really dumb! Overall Tom Hanks is the only reason I watched this since I think he's a swell actor.
Adult Written bymoldiness July 5, 2010
This is an extremely graphic film. It should have been rated R not Pg-13. I would never want my child to see this crap. I give the movie kudos for special effects but story wise -- it's a great way to permanently scar a person's mind with horrific images.
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written byleah.k October 10, 2009
Good suspense and loved seeing what the vatican city artists and the amazing work they did so long ago. I don't think it has an anti-catholic theme, the church has had a colorful past & its interesting. The bad guy is ruthless with no concern for human life and was very uncomfortable to watch. I thought it would bore my 14 year old son but he loved it, was exciting for him but would not recommend for any younger viewers
Parent of a 15 and 15 year old Written byxmasterxofxmyxd... June 8, 2009

Well Done, But A Horrible Script

Angels and Demons is a movie for the unbiased, and unoffended, because the major theme in this movie is the battle between religion and science. Ron Howard does a very good job directing this film, he uses color, and excellent lighting effects to show the mood of the scene. The cinematography is also very good with the lighting and angles to add mystery, and intensity to the scene. If you really enjoyed the book like myself, prepare to be disapointed. The screenwriters took out some characters, and changed parts of it to keep it under a 2 and a 1/2 hour run time, but i got really mad when they took out Leonardo Vetra, The BBC Reporters, the romance between Robert and Vittoria, and they changed the ending a bit, and they didn't fully explain why these events happened, and the whole thing about the pope's son. All in all this movie is entertaining, and well paced, but it will do little for the uninspired, and get the book lovers angry.
Parent of a 14 and 14 year old Written byjujubee33 June 2, 2009

Catholics Beware

I have no problem with anti-Catholism, but I have a friend who does. She had heard that Angels and Demons didn't upset people of faith as much as The Da Vinci Code, but when we went to see it together, she was totally offended. The plot is about a Catholic priest that is plotting to kill several people and planning some large "miracles" that were really just set-ups, just to trick the world into believing in God and converting to Catholism. If you are a religious person, especially a devote Catholic, I do not suggest seeing this movie. It is in fact worse than The Da Vinci Code, because it is really happening in modern times, the stuggle between science and faith (in which faith is portrayed as having cheated in this movie), whereas the Royal Bloodline is just a myth.
Adult Written byanthony999 May 29, 2009
Adult Written byvioletleapyear May 16, 2009
I love the puzzles, art, history and science--but the violence is dramatically present. The casual loss of life is troubling and I definitely would not take my kids to see it. In fact, I'm not sure I would see it again. I'm 37, and I had bad dreams and won't be able to erase the images of casual graphic killing.
Adult Written byphtbenny May 16, 2009

same your money

This movie is a load of crap dont waste you money. Read the book to see how poorly it was written. If it didnt have a message against the catholic church there whould never have been a budget for a movie.
Adult Written byLowix May 15, 2009
Parent of a 2 year old Written bynikkismith168 May 10, 2009
Very violent this should be fine for children who can handle death.