All parent member reviews for Apocalypto

Adult Written bycortright5 April 9, 2008

Realistic Historical Film

If you have a stomach for graphic violence lots of gore. Patience to read subtitles due to the film being spoken in their native tongue (very impressive) this is a film for you. This is not suitable for any child under the age of 15. The film is rich with culture, the cinematography is just perfect. I really felt that I was taken back to another place and time. Excellent film making.
Adult Written byDhorlo April 9, 2008
Adult Written byKilfornyea April 9, 2008
Parent Written bystrawbelly March 18, 2013

Real History

I watched this film finally and accidentally (thanks to TV) last night. I thought it was a brilliant piece of history and will no doubt be soon watching it with my daughter (11), who loves the early history and reads anything she can get her hands on about Mayan, Inca etc civilisations. To be honest, I do not understand the age 18 rating - rape is never shown, and one needs to only go to a museum to have a look at the artifacts from those civilisations to imagine how horrendously violent they were (sacrifice, murder, pillaging). This film is a fantastic recreation of those times, and a brilliant antidote to sterile, dangerless version of history and politics children are being taught at schools. I am no fan of gratuitous violence and would not allow my child watch anything of the modern slashers. I would also like to add that I have a very thoughtful, open relationship with my child, teach her about ethics and philosophy, so when we watch this it will not be a mere mindless light entertainment session, but rather a lesson in history, religion and survival instincts of the world before human rights.
Parent Written bythenoah September 12, 2012

Violent, but very good

Great... not as good as Braveheart, but great. a little over the top when they see everything that is bad in the city, but overall relatively realistc with good action. some torture happens, and very bloody, but not too bad.
Adult Written byblaze4u November 8, 2009

Don't let your kids see this one!

Way too much much gore and violence for any child 17 and under to see. I believe it shows graphically what happened to the Mayan - and even earlier - societies. Though extremely hard to watch (I spent most of the time hiding my eyes), it shows clearly what can happen to cultures when respect for humanity, other than their own, is lost. It also shows that love can produce amazing courage and strength. This is definitely a movie that isn't easily forgotten.
Adult Written bynursjane April 9, 2008

Great Historical Depiction of an Advanced Society

Wonderful, fabulous, action packed. A hero protecting his family during turbulence.
Adult Written byangiezuniga77 April 9, 2008

Great movie, very violent but AWESOME

I was left with my jaw dropped, I loved the whole movie and was on the edge of my seat biting my nails. Yes it is violent, yes it is gory, no don't take the kids..but there is a love story and a will to live within the movie that captures the audience. Rudy Youngblood is an awesome artist and actor...thank you Mel Gibson!!
Adult Written bymarse April 9, 2008

the chase part is what u would enjoy the most especially when he finally decided to fight his captors. brutally violent but overall i think its a great movie, there's this desire to come back for his family so he better keep himself alive
Adult Written byTexasOma April 9, 2008

I'm worried about Mel

I'm grateful that I saw this at home rather than on big screen. While I can admire the cinematography, the costumes, the use of native language, and even the thin plot line revolving around love of family, all that was overwhelmed by the gratuitous violence. There were elements of the story that were ludicrous - the pursuers left a killing arena armed only with a few weapons, but when chasing the captive through the rainforest they all had torches (and means to light them). The pursued man was badly wounded but didn't even slow down. And in the fast and furious pursuit through the immense forest, the pursuers knew exactly which way the prisoner ran. But overall it was the violence that left me cold, and made me feel that Mel Gibson's ultimate intent was to see how gruesome and gross he could be. It's unfortunate that he hasn't grasped the concept of suggestion - that it is possible to convey a point powerfully without making the viewer feel that he's stepped into a bloodbath.
Adult Written bynicole623az April 9, 2008

I really liked this movie! It was very entertaining and had great imagery and also had it's humor. It isn't really recommended for kids. But I loved it. The only thing I didn't love was that I was left hanging about a few issues in the movie.
Adult Written bygreta-elisif April 9, 2008

Graphically Violent

I think this may be the most violent non-horror movie ever. My father-in-law got it for the older kids, who are 13, 12, and 10. He didn’t think it would be very bad. I was fairly disturbed by the idea of children watching it. Kids should definitely not watch this movie.
Adult Written bytrojan51 April 9, 2008