All parent member reviews for Arthur Christmas

Adult Written byDr3w November 23, 2011

A Christmas Movie For Cynics

"Arthur Christmas was written with the cynic in mind. It's for kids who can't quite figure out how Santa delivers presents in Toledo and Tokyo and Timbuktu all in one night. It's for kids who've seen that even the supposed best of adults don't always act admirably. It's for kids for whom this "magical" time of year sometimes feels a little less than. It tells these children that even if things aren't perfect, that even after your mom and aunt get into a squabble during Monopoly or Dad eats Santa's Christmas cookies, there's still something special about the season. That specialness is embodied, of course, by Arthur Christmas—a goofy, awkward, kid-like guy who answers Santa's letters for him. He knows the elves make fun of him. He knows he'll never be as cool or efficient as his big brother. On some level, he knows he's a disappointment to his father. And yet he puts all that aside because he believes in Santa's true goodness. It's Arthur's awe-filled optimism—and, frankly, sense of forgiveness—that carries this movie. Arthur doesn't spend much time worrying about what his father thinks of him. As long as Santa cares for the children, that's all Arthur needs. When Santa lets Arthur down, though, it's still a brutal blow. Indeed, our hero almost gives up on his quest to "save Christmas" for the little giftless girl. But then he has an epiphany: It's not about Santa the man, but about Santa the ideal. Santa is bigger than any one fallible father can be. And as long as that ideal remains true and pure, the gift-giving spirit of Christmas survives. It's a salient message for us to teach to our children, I think, who have observed moral or spiritual leaders stumble and fall. Our faith and our integrity should never be pinned to people, but rather to principles. Neither, of course, should Christmas be pinned to Santa. But you already knew that." from plugged in . com
Parent Written byJadeAutumnGreen December 22, 2011

Not For Your Younger Children!!!

This is off for any kid who still thinks 'Santa' comes to their house on Christmas night! This show completely undermined everything my little sister thought about Christmas! It replaces the sleigh with an alien-looking ship and reindeer with high- tech engines. The elves are like a stereo-type of the military and at the end of the movie, they supposed 'moral' is that it doesn't matter how the present gets there, only that it did get there. It sucked all the magic out of Christmas for my FIVE year old sister. I personally didn't enjoy it either.
Parent Written byRichard Addlesee December 9, 2011

The true meaning of Christmas

I wish I was a kid again, Arthur Christmas really shows us what the true meaning of Christmas is, going the extra mile for each other regardless of the effort :)
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written bykmgboyd November 25, 2012

Great Holiday Movie for the Whole Family

My sons age 7 and 4.5 LOVED this movie. They laughed and were dazzled by all the imagery. One reviewer mentioned this movie might spoil the Santa story for young children, but I disagree. Before watching it, we talked about how this movie was one person's idea of how Santa gets all the presents delivered. The modern technology was a fun adaptation to the original story. It has a positive message, the dialogue is appropriate for young kids and adults will like it too. The hero is admirable and the other characters learn valuable lessons. It's not too scary, there is no monsters or bad guys. It is suspenseful as the hero and his crew try to deliver the last present before day breaks. They encounter some scary lions and other obstacles along the way and at times it seems like they won't make it in time. But as other reviewers mentioned, the scary lion scene is fast and has a very funny ending. My sons usually don't like to re-watch movies, but they keep asking for this one.
Parent Written bybeckyellis November 14, 2012

Wanting to show at a elementary school. Will the older kids (5th and 6th graders like it as much as young kids?

I havent seen this movie yet, I just have a question for all of you out there who have seen it. I am thinking about doing this movie for our school movie night. We have kindergarten up to sixth grade students. Do you think that the older kids would enjoy it as much as the younger ones. Input on this,please. I would greatly appreciate it.
Adult Written byBperk23 October 30, 2012

Christmas

This movie is great to learn how people do Christmas around the world.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 19, 2012

Impressive movie.

This is a very fun movie.I just didn't like that Justin Bieber sang in the movie,I HATE Justin Bieber.There is educational value,positive messages,and positive role-models.There IS violence,a use of the H word,and a couple of drinking.Besides that this movie is awesome! The computer graphics were just perfect.If you want a great Christmas this year,WATCH THIS MOVIE!
Parent Written bytreat02 February 19, 2012

good movie, good role models

i think this movie portrays a good role model, for those who dont know it is about the son of Santa (Arthur, he has another brother too, who wants to be Santa, they pass it down by the years) they have delivered all the presents except for one. one little girl. Santa and his other son (not Arthur) want to just go to bed and not deliver it. Arthur on the other hand wants to deliver it, so he goes on an adventure with his grandpa to deliver it, but they go old school, a slegh.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bybrown_eyed_girl February 1, 2012

Ever wonder how Santa does it? Here's your chance to find out!

A hilarious, heart warming story about a bumbling brother who becomes a reluctant hero. The second the lights came up in the theater, my 10 year old turned to me and said "We have to buy that on DVD!" I can see this becoming an annual tradition for our family right up there with The Grinch and Charlie Brown. Although the father, grandfather, and older brother are negative role models through most of the movie, in the end they pull together and do the right thing. Some mean language and insinuation of drinking but most of the language is tame. The grandfather's reindeer sidekick is hilarious. Very young kids might be scared by some of the tense, suspenseful chase scenes but on the whole the movie is a delightful twist on the traditional Santa Claus myth.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bykhancock0 January 5, 2012

Wonderful family fun.

Our whole family enjoyed this humorous, positive take on what the North Pole is like, who Santa is, and what it means for the next generation to take over from its parents. Our 7- and 9-year old kids loved it, as did we.
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 2, 2012

Arthur Christmas 2011

an ok christmas tale. but 5/5 stars of good positive messages about caring for 1 single person.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bydgjd December 27, 2011

my seven year old liked it

They did a nice job of mixing more traditional Santa-isms with modern twists.
Parent Written bybusybabe December 26, 2011

Fabulous Family-Friendly Christmas movie!!

This was the perfect family Christmas movie to see!! The dialogue was a bit fast and complicated at times, so kids 8 and up may appreciate it more, but it's visually appealing and appropriate for younger kiddos also. No worries about foul language or innuendos, although there are some slight alcohol references. This movie kept my son and I laughing the whole time; I would rate this very high on the clean comedy scale. The values were family oriented and culturally open. Overall a good choice and a must have for the home blu-ray collection.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byadaMadman December 23, 2011

Good holiday choice and my favorite wrapping elf ever (spelling intended)

My 6-year-old enjoyed the film, as did I, and I agree with others about the content. The relationships between the various Claus generations was too sophisticated for him, and the references to the military went flying over his head, but there was more than enough to enjoy otherwise. There is one scene with vicious tigers and lions that went on for a while and was quite scary. I did note that the first 10:00 or so of the film, a sort of Mission Impossible parody, moved really, really fast -- like so many movies for kids these days -- and as always I wished the moviemakers would stay on a shot longer to allow us to enjoy it rather than moving rapid-fire from image to imaginative image, MTV-style. Perhaps directors seem to feel they have to do this to keep the young audience's attention, but this is a self-fulfilling process...it changes our expectations for what is dramatic in a film, but is unnecessary if the film is made well -- and for me, as an old fogey of 46, it was too fast to enjoy. As we only get a moment to enjoy each idea and image, the result is a jam-packed stream of sensory input that I think is inappropriate for all audiences -- do we really have to condition our children for a world where ideas pass in a flash? Are we catering to ADHD and harming children's ability to concentrate, simply soak in an image, be patient? I would like to see Common Sense add this as a category to their film reviews somehow.
Adult Written byCoho December 20, 2011

This 8-Year-Old Loved It!

I am 8-years-old and I think the movie is really good. It's a little iffy for kids 4 and younger because it is a little tense. When I was that age, tense scenes bothered me. I like that it shows that if something seems impossible you can still do it if you try your hardest and have help from your friends. I liked seeing a little bit about other country's Christmas cultures. Most of all it's really funny. My whole family, including my 5-year-old brother, laughed a lot and enjoyed it very much.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written bycatht December 18, 2011

Loved this movie!

This is a great movie, one that I enjoyed seeing as much as my kids, ages 4.5 and 7. I rated it "on" for ages 5 and up, as I didn't notice a lot of the usual things that I wouldn't want my kids to see, however there were nuances that neither of them really understood. For example, the whole spy/army sort of setup that they had for gift production and delivery was just bizarre to them, they didn't see the humour because the whole concept was new. And more importantly, the deeper storyline about the rivalries between Grandsanta and Steve, and the issues regarding whether Steve or Arthur would be the new Santa were lost on them. When I explained it later they understood, and I'm sure we'll eventually buy the dvd and they'll really get it, but in the moment, first time seeing the movie, it was more about the big screen and popcorn. Which they were perfectly happy with. :) There were a few scary scenes that had my 4.5yo in my lap. At one point some menacing lions surround some of the characters, but the tension doesn't last long, and is followed very quickly by a silly scene that had both my kids laughing. Another time the sleigh is about to be shot down my missiles, and whether or not the characters survive is in question, but again, it's not a prolonged scene and is relieved by humour. Overall, I highly recommend this movie.
Parent Written byjannetto December 7, 2011

Heartwarming, tear jerking, just go see it!

I laughed and cried all the way through. It's a great movie, and I've told all the kids I work with (I teach 10 year olds) to go see it- those who already have, loved it, as did my own kid. Some lovely small touches too, typical little Aardman details that you might miss the first time. I saw it 4 days ago and am still smiling. I think all kids will be rooting for that last girl to get her present- my daughter was on the edge of her seat at the end. Really lovely movie.
Parent Written byDr. H December 3, 2011

Wait for it to come to the library

Don't bother going to the theater. The 3D, if you see it that way, just makes you keep waiting for it to kick it. It is cute enough to get from the library, but I wouldn't spend money on it.
Parent Written byembeau December 2, 2011

5 and under are okay to see, but may not get the storyline

Nothing offensive for any age really and it was a cute movie, but my five year old had a hard time following all the action. There were a few scenes with GrandSanta where the dialogue could have been toned down (references to alcoholics etc), but the characters outside of that were cute and sweet. Some scenes were scary due to the fact that the sleigh seemed out of control, but no real "bad guys" in this movie. Funny for adults and probably enjoyable for 6 and up, but I think that it was all lost on my child. She liked it but preferred the Muppets and Gnomeo and Juliet much more.
Parent Written bymoviemom7681 November 27, 2011

Cute, feel good Christmas movie that is appropriate for the whole family to share.

This movie was fun and the lack of an evil, bad guy out to ruin Christmas was refreshing. It kept our girls laughing through the whole movie. It has a cute, little message of everyone mattering and a guy who won't give up even with no one believing in him. I think most little kids (and a lot adults by the laughter in our theater) would enjoy this movie. My kids have been talking about this movie since we saw it..2 days ago.