Kid reviews for Atonement

Stellar literary adaptation too mature for kids.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAda Wolf February 28, 2020

A Wonderful Movie!

It a wonderful adaptation of Ian McEwan’s book. Although they made a few modifications. It didn’t bother me much though. I say that kids over 14 can watch the movie because I am 14 and had no trouble watching it. Of course everyone is different and we see quite a bit of violence and corpses and some teens might be more sensitive to that. I think Common Sense harshly put three points for sex since there is really only one scene at the beginning and we see absolutely nothing. There is quite a bit of swearing but honestly I hear more in the hallways of my school so it shouldn’t mark you much. The drinking is mild and any six year old could take it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byskye_fashion November 11, 2018

Strange storyline, but a good one

The storyline for this movie is pretty strange, but it's still interesting. The film overall is very slow-moving, and there isn't a lot of action to keep you interested throughout. Much of the plot line is centered around sex, and there are lots of graphic injuries as well. Some people do throw up, if you're sensitive to that, like me, so be aware. I would recommend if you like history and are mature enough for the plot line.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCassiopeia72 July 6, 2018

Great!

It was really good; I read the book before watching the movie and it was an amazing adaptation. People who enjoy the World. War era in history should watch this.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysingmadi December 22, 2016

A beautiful, yet deeply emotional romantic drama.

Overall the movie is a great adaptation of Ian McEwan's novel. There is one steamy love-scene, but otherwise there isn't much violence or sex. There are some war scenes that might be too graphic for younger viewers, but the movie is not about violence or sex, but about relationships, heartache and it portrays these vertiews in a refreshingly new way. If this hasn't made you want to watch it, then here is a list of things that will:
1. Vintage 1930s-1940s clothing
2. Serious romance
3. James McAvoy!!!!
4. Keira Knightley (in a gorgeous green dress)
5. +++ Saoirse Ronan , who is amazing
6. The best director of all time, Joe Wright (Pride and Prejudice, Anna Karenina and more...)
Teen, 16 years old Written byBarbara-cinemaholic April 19, 2014

Masterpiece

In my humble opinion, I believe this movie is a stupendous masterpiece, to me it is far better than most cliqué doomed lovers. This is not, i warn you, a movie that will make you feel good, quite the contrary. But I feel like this is not a movie for every taste, it starts off a bit slow but when it starts picking up the pace it does not stop until the end. I could not rave about this enough, just see for yourself..
Kid, 12 years old July 21, 2013

Amazing

I watched this when i was seven or eight and then asked my parents what c*** meant... you can probably guess what happened next so i only watched the beginning part.
Now i watched it again and it was just amazing and quite emotional! Although i think you should be 12 or 13 up to be able to understand it...

Teen, 13 years old Written byRegardingCecilia May 19, 2013

Incredible, Powerful, Moving.

This movie is simply incredible and one of my favorites! I read the book at age 11 and watched the movie at 12 and loved them both. There is one sex scene that may be an issue for parents and children under the age of 12 or 13, a little bit of swearing, and war scenes which means violence will ensue and wounds, etcetera may be overwhelming for younger viewers. Again, it depends on the maturity of the child or teenager in question. I believe that most kids over 12 with interest in the storyline and characters will love the movie!

Teen, 15 years old Written byfelise1999 March 16, 2012

GREAT MOVIE! just not for kids.

this movie is amazing! but not for kids or young teens. there is a fairly graphic sex scene that is witnessed by a child, frequent use of f--k, and c--t is shown written several times. there is a lot of smoking and drinking, but it's accurate for the time period. TONS of war violence and rape of a young girl, who later precedes to marry her rapist. kids and most teens won't understand the gravity of what Briony did.

Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2012

Alright for mature kids

I think it's perfectly fine for any mature enough kid to watch a movie like this. (Maybe not with their parents, how awkward would that be?) Chances are they've already encountered words like 'c**t', and it's only type written so it's not even that bad. I saw this movie and I'm 12, almost 13. I didn't really like the gruesome army scenes and this movie was just a bit depressing, since the ending wasn't necessarily happy. Other then that I thought the acting was phenomenal and I especially thought the character of Briony was really interesting and compelling.
Teen, 14 years old Written byscissorluv971 October 1, 2011

Great for the Mature teen

I watched it when I was 12 and it wasn't so bad. It was an amazing movie!! I think the C word wasn't that big of a deal since it was only type written. But if you are sensitive about it, pre watch it write the time the C word comes up on your arm and when its about to be shown ask your child to go get you a glass of water. Its overall a great love story with great actors!!

Teen, 13 years old Written byYeah. February 27, 2011

Check my page for other great recommendations.

I'm not here to give a review because if it shows up on my page its a 5 star movie and so therefore you know what i think about it.

Teen, 15 years old Written bynicolybinoly94 November 8, 2009

Fine 13 and up

It really fine

Teen, 14 years old Written bybosrove17 August 14, 2009

Literary adaptation tackels lies, and their effects.

Atonement is a cinematical masterpiece, that is written, acted, directed, photographed, and scored to perfection. The movie will spark great conversations about lies, and how sometimes, a careless mistake can ultimalely ruin a person's life.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn June 25, 2009
I love this movie.
It is so good!
My parents hated it.
But that is probably because they only watched like fourth five minutes of it and then decided that it wasn't worth watching the rest of it.
I think that anyone over the age of 12 should see this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybubbleboy April 13, 2009

Absolutely wonderful

Attempting to describe this film's plot would be futile (I tried in my review of "Eternal Sunshine" and it didn't work out too well) for it includes too much to make sense on paper. There is a letter mix-up, a visitor who may not be who he people who invited him remember him as, a forbidden love and raging jealousy which leads a young girl to make a horrifying accusation which threatens the life of one of the star-crossed lovers. There was really nothing about this film that didn't work: it had great music, great acting, a wonderful script, and a brilliant conclusion that is heartfelt without being sappy. Another strong suit of the film is to replay multiple events from various people's points of view, making the event more clear each time that it is shown. I will say that the first half of the film is stronger than the second half. The front is set up like a romantic thriller and the second half is more of a war film, which weakens it ever-so-slightly, but even its weakest points are well above average; not to mention the second-half's hair-raising twist. "Atonement" is a great ecploration of love, childhood innocence and, ultimately, sorrow. As far as content goes, there is one sex scene that does not contain nudity but is rather extensive, as well as a few disturbing war images. It is appropriate for most teens, but it probably won't really interest them; they may find it rather slow and tedious (even though they are sadly mistaken.) Just brilliant.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycaseypuppy1 April 9, 2008

SOOO SAD!!!!!!!

i thought atonement was one of the best/saddest movies i have seen in a while!! although i do wish there had been more interaction between cecelia and Robbie before they told each other they're in love!! JAMES MCAVOY= BRILLIANT!!!!!! he definatley should have been nominated for an oscar for this movie!! the music was also fantastic!! i absolutley love this movie!!

Please, people!

Honestly, it's not all that bad. I read the book and it was wonderful. "c--t", as a bad word in desire just annoys me because it is normal. GET OVER YOURSELVES, PARENTS! YOUR KIDS ARE MORE MATURE THEN YOU THINK, FOOLS!
Teen, 14 years old Written bylin2211 April 9, 2008