Parent reviews for Avengers: Infinity War

Intense violence, strong messages in shocking Marvel epic.

Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byJohn O. April 25, 2018

Best Marvel movie yet

This instalment in the Marvel series has a darker tone with some stronger themes, but is fast paced enough that it is all about the action and the characters. There is some mild language and a lot of violence, but in true comic book style it isn’t graphic and there are plenty of laughs.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byTinHawk G. May 8, 2018

Great movie, too dark for younger kids

I took my son to see Iron Man in the theater at age 5 and he was good in that. Quiet, into the film, loved it. I would not take him at age 5 to see Infinity War. I watched as several parents brought in small children to see this movie. A 3 year old boy was too young to pay attention and needed a phone distraction or he got fussy. The 5 year old girl in the row ahead of me was just as quiet and into the movie as my son was years ago at the same age... But at the end of it she was in tears and needed A LOT of consoling. At risk of spoilers, a big chunk of heroes die in this movie and it does not have a happy ending. If you love your kids, don't take them to see this unless they're okay with watching the hero they love be killed. Side note if their favorite character is Loki, for sure do not take them. Something horrible happens in the first like 10 minutes and you have 3 more hours of it. Age 7 or 8 if they're mature, but probably wait for age 9.

Parent of a 13, 16, and 18+ year old Written byjenly May 2, 2018

See it in a comfortable theater . . .

because it is extremely long and the cgi special effect action scenes grow tedious. We saw it in a regular theater and my neck was killing me by the end. My 12 1/2 year old daughter cried--sobbed, actually--several times and my older teens were just sad. No one felt energized after this movie--definitely not a good birthday party movie for kids! I generally enjoy the Marvel movies but this conglomeration of characters made the plot extra choppy and the formula seemed to be sad moment, funny moment, battle scene. repeat for three hours. I do not understand how this movie is not rated R. It is much more graphically violent than, say, The Dark Knight Rises, and not in a comic book funny way. We see the main character, Thanos, strangling, impaling, and otherwise murdering and torturing people. The staging makes his actions seem especially depraved, and I, as the viewer, felt complicit as this was all being served up for our entertainment. It would have been very difficult for me to convince my kids to skip this, but I wish I hadn't contributed extra $$ to Disney's coffers for this effort. TIP: Stay through the credits for the final scene so you can tell your crying kids with absolute confidence that a sequel is on the way.

Parent Written byAudrey L. April 30, 2018

Too dark for younger kids

The Avengers has been a long time favorite of my daughter (18) and I, but this latest installment was very dark. The action and tension were well played out, and just when you thought the characters would win out it took a somber turn at the end :-(. Not sure where they are going with this? Also, Chris Pratt's character, Star Lord, makes a mocking reference about Jesus to Dr. Strange when asked who his master is -- "What? Do you think I'm going to say Jesus?" There were quite a few people laughing in the theater as Jesus's name became a very blatant mockery. Very sad and disappointing -- not a movie I would recommend.
Parent Written byR M April 27, 2018

Too Violent

This movie is too violent to be enjoyable. Other Marvel movies had varying degrees of violence, but I've usually been able to look to the storyline and the messages to enjoy the film. The opening scene was so violent it just set the tone right there. Even though there are moments of humor and lightheartedness which I generally really enjoy in these movies, they are overshadowed by the excessive violence. I regret taking my 13 year old to this.

Adult Written byjuvey May 18, 2018

"It's like Satan puts you in a cage with a chain around it and pulls you closer and closer to him"

The above quote was from my 7 year old after we left the movie 10 minutes in. His eyes were closed the majority of the time that he was in the theater. I read the reviews saying, "know if your kid can handle it." "Make sure you talk afterward because it's a tough movie for kids to process." REALLY?? What does that mean??? Here are the only 3 reasons your kids should watch this movie... 1. They are desensitized enough from all of the other violence they have seen that 2 and 1/2 hours of killing sits well with them. 2. You care more about your kid being "cool" in their social group than the effects of negative influence on their character. 3. You want Hollywood to continue to make movies with violence of epic proportion. If you are cool with taking your kids to this movie you have to accept the impact that your dollar might have on our already violent society. So disappointing!

Adult Written byAutumn B. April 27, 2018

It Was Good... Until...

I liked it. Until the end. Which was depressing.

Parent Written byJo B. April 28, 2018

We had to leave - too intense

So interestingly, this film is rated M in Australia (15+) but PG-13 in the US. Based on the fact that my daughter saw and loved Wonder Woman (admittedly at home - also rated M in Australia) and hasn't generally had an issue being frightened in movies (and, let's face it, because I wanted to see it), I bought tickets before the film was classified in Australia. She is in Grade 4 (although very young for her year) and the film was just WAY TOO MUCH for her. She was distraught within the first (quite graphic) scene, and I said we should leave, but she didn't want to. The next 30 minutes or so were fine (lots of things getting blown up, banter, fights, etc.), but then when another main character was brutally attacked she got very upset again, and I said we should leave and she agreed. I think seeing a movie like this on the big screen (and surround sound) just makes it waayyyy more intense than watching something on the TV at home. Also the violence seemed more brutal than Wonder Woman, but maybe that is just me. I echo the sentiments of the review entitled "WAY too vivid and emotionally brutal!"

Parent Written byWilliam C. April 28, 2018

Interesting case for discussing genocide and war

Yes, it's the culmination of Marvel movies to this end. And it does not disappointment. All the actors have with very little screen time but they shine. The humor is top notched and good jokes to remember. And yes, it's not bout the Avengers. This is about Thanos. He justify his actions to use the infinity stones for exterminating half the population, with the reason that it's to save the other half. And this may be surprising to many who had not seen him in the movie, but he make sense. We all know that earth and society resources are finite, and so mass genocide and conquering others is the logical only way for earth and society to survive. It's scary, really scary, and you may be convinced by Thanos and the Black Order. We may not want to go out there now and do genocide, but it'll not be because we don't want to, but because we don't have the will like Thanos. The moral foil to his justification hence fall on Capt, "we don't trade lives". With that 1 sentence, reason and humanity is restore. Even if it's not logical, not culling people gives us our existence purpose. Hence symbolically the only human able to resist the infinity gauntlet (remember even the Hulk cannot overpower Thanos, lesson here: willpower and moral strength is stronger than muscles) And the most disturbing part have to be when Gamora thought Thanos is defeated by the Soul Stone's wisdom, but even the most cruel tyrant love someone, and he loved her the most. And because of his unwavering will, he went ahead and kill her. This scene may scared most, maybe all children. Imagine, he only love his daughter, and he kill her, what about my parents? Please think about the last part before you bring your child to watch this movie. And of course the ending scene, friend see friend disappear, foster father see prodigy turn to dust. Existence erased just like that.... The killing of Gamora is to prepare us for more tragedy to come. Its too emotional and if your child emotion strength is not tested yet, don't test them at this movie. If pt 2 reversed the end results, then maybe it'll be better to let your child watch a test back to back.

Adult Written byThe Man W. April 29, 2018

Best. Comicbook Film. Ever.

In my opinion this is Marvel’s most epic and darkest entry in it’s long line of superhero movies. From it’s brilliantly choreographed, heart-pounding action scenes to it’s hilarious character interactions ( especially between Thor and The Guardians Of The Galaxy ) Avengers: Infinity War will satisfy any superhero enthusiast. The part that really stood out for me was how the Russo Brothers portrayed Thanos: A menacing, but genius villian with motives that leaves us philosophying about our existence. The movie enables us to feel a sense of justification for his actions due to his tragic backstory, which makes him an amazing antagonist. The emotional factor in this movie may be overwhelming to some people under the age of 15, thats why I recommend a more mature audience who understand the basics of the word genocide, famliy, sacrifice etc. A must watch!

Parent of a 8 year old Written byBrent A. April 27, 2018

If your child has seen the other MCU films, this one's a must

MILD SPOILERS IN REVIEW We've been taking our son to Marvel films for the last couple of years (and showing some on video at home). To NOT take him to Infinity War would be torture! :) That being said, I expect that he will be sad at the end. Be prepared to talk to your kids about movie "death," and the fact that there's another movie coming in a year or two and remind them that the superheroes always figure out a way to save the day. Maybe talk about movies that made you sad when you were a kid, about the make-believe aspect of it, but also that you understand how they feel. When we really love a character, it affects us when things happen to them, good or bad. That's the sign of a really good story.
Adult Written byVicki F. April 27, 2018

Well made but too sad

3 hours of intense drama and fighting. Humour shown in trailers provides occasional relief but the violence and loss wears you down and it finishes on a cliff-hanger. Girl in row behind me sobbed for last half hour of movie. Not recommended for anyone who wont enjoy viewing tragic loss of characters or just wants a feel-good movie. Waited through several minutes of credits only to see a snippet that was no more cheerful than the movie.

Parent Written byNatasha M. May 18, 2018

Unexpected/disappointing

I found the film to be extremely violent and with a atmospheric darkness about it. There was a scene where a young lady is pushed from a high cliff plumiting to her death. At which point I had to ask my 10 year old to close her eyes as I saw how shocked she was. The opening scene also cringe worthy with how much graphic death scenes. In my opinion definitely not a film for little impressionable minds. Also a reference made to Jesus in sarcasm which was unnecessary and put a dampener on film for those who believe he is the real super hero.

Parent Written byJeanene R. April 29, 2018

Fantastic, but not for sensitive kids

It is definitely the most intense and emotionally charged Marvel Superhero movie they have done. I suggest parents watch it themselves and judge based on your kid, if they are capable and emotionally able to handle it.

Adult Written bytheslimmovieguy April 29, 2018

My honest opinion and review of infinity wars.

It may have its bouts of language and yes it does have its share of violence. but to tell you the truth, I don't think it would be that bad to show this to someone at least 12 years of age who could handle it. Otherwise, It was interesting seeing this film unfold.

Adult Written byLauren W. May 18, 2018

Take the PG-13 rating seriously

Went to see this opening night with a friend. In the first 5 minutes of the movie, one of my favorite characters (and also a big fan favorite in general) is brutally murdered in probably one of the most graphic deaths in the mcu. More deaths happen as the movie continues, and in the end only half the characters are left alive (and the last death scene is tragic beyond belief). This was a theatre full of adults, mind you, and most left crying or numb with shock. Went to see it for a second time, and a few families had kids under the age of 10, several in the costumes of their favorite characters. They all left crying. Just saying, if you’re kid isn’t emotionally mature enough to handle the emotional wait, please don’t take them. Also mild profanity, on level with the GOTG movies.
Parent of a 1 and 9 year old Written byNikki F. May 7, 2018

Really no worse than any other Avengers flick

I almost didn’t take my child to see this movie due to the reviews here stating it was for teens or older children. But we talked about the fact of it being darker than the other movies & my child’s response was basically: “Of course it’s dark! Thanos is a really bad guy!” I’m glad we went. For comparison, Common Sense Media rates Guardians of the Galaxy at 12+, even though there is gratuitous revenge violence, sexually explicit content & a really creepy father-son issue. Wonder Woman was also rated at 12+, but the war content there is much more difficult to grapple with for younger viewers as the depictions of trench warfare are brutal & involve people, not just super heroes. Lots of innocent deaths there & in my opinion much darker because of that. There is none of that in this movie. There is some torture & a lot of death, but it’s all done on a comic book scale & there isn’t much in the way truly troubling violence (though there is some). The jokes are funny & kid-appropriate but funny for grown ups, too. Language is a bit salty, but if you’re not too concerned with that, then it’s fine. It’s definitely enjoyable & even though the end is a bit disappointing, it’s nothing a sequel can’t or won’t fix.

Adult Written byTobin A. May 4, 2018

Infinity War

Avengers: Infinity War is a great movie that kids 14 and up should see. The movie is very emotional with many key characters deaths that makes it even sadder if you are a long time member of the series. There are a few swears that your teenage kid has already heard. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that some people say the movie should be rated R and that people over 18+ should go because while it is a dark and at times very violent film, the worst death is watching a character turn blue as they are choked to death. The movie is dark due to the main theme but not as dark as The Dark Night Rises. If you have any children 10 or younger I do not believe they should see this film. Overall if your kids are mature enough to understand what is happening and are prepared for the level of FANTASY violence in the movie and some of the sadder parts they will be fine seeing the movie. After all the movie is 10 years in the making.
Adult Written byden t. May 16, 2018

the best marvel film yet

This movie has tons of action and violence a bit to intense for young kid. Totally recommend this.

Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written byJoel H. May 12, 2018

This is for people who have seen the movie

As a fan of the comics I know everything about the MCU which means if you saw the movie and cried because everyone dies do not fear because they are not actually died they are trapped in the soul stone and captain marvel will release them if you stay after the credits you can see nick call captain marvel so which means they are all going to be saved