All parent member reviews for Babe: Pig in the City

Parent of a 3 year old Written byHRO December 17, 2009

Disappointing, nothing like the original

Weird movie, very inappropriate for young children. Very dark, not the happy go lucky animal movie you're probably expecting.
Adult Written byjanashawn July 28, 2009

We turned this movie off about 15 minutes in. There were just too many tense scary moments for my 5 year old including threatening DEA officers drug searching an old lady (try to explain that one), Babe getting kidnapped by a man and some monkeys, and a scene with a stage catching on fire.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright January 6, 2013

Yet another disappointing sequel

Why is it that when there's a great movie (like Babe), many a time you see a sequel that's disappointing? This is just like Cars 2, it's too scary. I don't remember seeing it as a kid, and I'm glad I didn't. I agree with the parents at this site. This movie cannot be compared to the excellent original. It's dark, depressing, scary, sad, and not the funny, feel-good heartwarming classic the original was. How ANYONE (let alone Roger Ebert) could say this is BETTER than the first, I will never know. Yes, it did have a few nice messages and all, but the violence overshadows this movie. There's more bad than good here. Also, for drugs, they forgot the drug check scene in the main review here (Mrs. Hoggest is strip searched for drugs by drug inspectors, which could also make it count as sexy stuff). So yeah, pass on this if you want more of the same greatness like in the original. 3.5/10
Parent of a 3 year old Written bysahminva May 2, 2009

Shows a drowning dog...seriously, need I say more?

From the opening scene it is horribly dark and dismal. Trust me, it only gets worse. I actually turned it off during the scene where a dog is hanging from a bridge by its feet, head first in the water, fighting and twitching in the throws of a drowning death. Yeah, that's a real scene from the movie. If your kids like animals AT ALL...do NOT rent this one.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 16, 2012

babe pig city

visuals are wonderfully imaginative. The city is a miracle of production design, brilliantly conceived. There are special effects of breathtaking skill and small moments of genuine charm. Babe and some of his new friends are adorably endearing. Older kids and teens who are not too embarrassed may appreciate the film's artistry. But younger children should stick with the original. Families can talk about tolerance and accepting others.
Parent Written byazul101 November 9, 2011

Inappropriate movie!

It was sad and dark, not a very fun movie to watch. Also, it had a very inappropriate scene with girls dressed in bikini's/lingerie. Totally did not expect that to be in this type of a movie, I have no idea why they had that in there. Not recommended for families at all.
Parent Written byH.Sicotte11 August 10, 2011

Stick to the original...

The 1st babe was adorable and sweet and had a positive message. This one is scary, sad, full of animal abuse (dogs on the brink of drowning,etc) and negative tones. Not a good movie for anyone no matter the age! If your kids want to watch babe, stick with the original.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

A Not-so-good Sequel...

BABE captured our hearts and imagination with a clever storyline and an adorable hog in the title role. Filmakers tried to recreate the magic in this 1998 sequel. They might have tried hard, but not hard enough. The film is rated G (Commonsense made a slight error there), and rightly deserves the rating, but what we get is a sequel darker than the original where Babe goes to a strange city filled with thugs and creepy cops and scientists, and where horrible things happen to good, undeserving animals. There is no violence, just some tense "mad dog" chase scenes and some slapstick falls. Sex is very minor. Airplane officers mistakingly think that Mrs. Hogget is carrying drugs, so they must "search" her (a woman agent saying "step into the cubicle and remove your clothes" is all the graphic it gets.) No language or drugs. The quality is down as well. The original was a classic that earned an easy five out of five stars. This one might get two, for Magda Szubanski's performance as Mrs. Hogget. It's suitable for kids, but it's not a good movie. Stick to the first one.