Kid reviews for Baby Driver

Car-centric crime action is stylish but shallow, violent.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDCfnaf July 19, 2017

Baby Driver has to be the Best Movie of 2017!!!

CommonSenseMedia, what the hell? THREE STARS and Age 17+ because of VIOLENCE and SWEARING, which isn't even as bad as you think it is because it's like any other movie?? Give me a break, I'm 15 and my brother is 13. We both saw this and we fell in love with it. Baby Driver is absolutely EVERYTHING that a movie should have. The soundtrack intertwining with the movie's events is just brilliant. The script is absolutely fantastic and well-written, from the events to the dialogue. The stunt-work is real and very entertaining to watch to the point where I felt like I was literally next to all of it. In the end, I enjoyed Baby Driver way more than The Lego Batman Movie. I enjoyed Baby Driver way more than Get Out. Hell, I enjoyed Baby Driver more than I enjoyed LOGAN. The fact that I think this movie is better than Logan just shows how great of a year 2017 has been for movies. Baby Driver is easily my favorite film of 2017 thus far and I hope that this year keeps up the good work. Now that you have read this thoroughly, I only have one request from all of you (yes, ALL of you): Please see this movie right now. No, I mean that LITERALLY. Get off of your couch and put your device down. Start up the car. Drive to the theater. Ask for Baby Driver tickets, sit the hell down, and don't miss out on a film experience that I guarantee you will love and remember for the rest of your life.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJerms July 15, 2017

5 Stars well deserved for extremely violent thriller.

The world of Baby Driver mostly resonates through the point of view of the main character, who's name is Baby (B-A-B-Y) and drives escape vehicles for criminals. The movie uses music the way a monkey sees a banana, and the sharp directing and casting by mastermind Edgar Wright really brings this film light. Baby is a driver for mob boss Doc (played brilliantly by the legendary Kevin Spacey) and who hopes to return to a life of normalcy. Baby loves music, and has different iPods for different days and moods. When Baby is behind the wheel, the movie ramps into sixth gear and cruises along at the speed of sound, with all the gunfights and chases superbly choreographed to the music playing Baby's earbuds, and it's good music too. But, as can be expected, with gunfights, comes violence, and the violence in question is glamorized, colorful, and very graphic. Much of the impact is removed through Wrights clever use of music (tequila!!), but the blood still remains, and when violence is present, colorful language is also thrown around. A lot. Some mild sexual innuendo is also present, but nothing really graphic. Beneath all the violence, though is a thorough and deep message about trust, hope, and love of life. If you can handle the violence, Baby Driver is worth your money. Highly recommended.

Teen, 17 years old Written byraziuddin.mahmood July 2, 2017

An original, thrilling, smart, groovy, action-packed flick from Edgar Wright!

I have to say, this movie really surprised me in how good it was. It proves how a summer action film should be done: cool characters, an engaging script, and an original style. The film had a compelling lead character in Baby along with good side characters. The action sequences and the way how music was incorporated were the highlights of the film. I also really enjoyed the interactions that Baby has with the robbers and the girl he loves, especially leading up to the finale.
As far as content goes, there isn't a lot to be extremely cautious about. There are curse words between some of the robbers' conversations and a few scenes of violence and blood.
Overall, Baby Driver is a fun and original action-ride for the summer. I highly recommend!

Teen, 14 years old Written byethan97 April 13, 2020

BEST MOVIE I'VE SEEN!

This is my personal fav movie of all time, great crime movie, very exciting, very fun and just all around amazing! There a lot of violence and the main character is getting paid for driving criminals around but young teens will definitely have fun during this movie.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJustakidcritic February 29, 2020

Baby driver

This film is great. But I would definitely not recommended this under the age of 12. If you have mature 12 years old, then yea they can watch it.

Teen, 16 years old Written byGravitynaut64 July 1, 2017

Common Sense Drops the Ball on Baby Driver

I think as both a stylist and a storyteller, Edgar Wright wasn't given quite his due with the review given to his latest creation, Baby Driver, on this site. Both in quality and content, I mean.

If you don't already know the name Edgar Wright as a film fan, get ready to. His signature directing/editing style, along with the snappy writing he has come to be renowned for since his cult classic "Shaun of the Dead" in 2004 (albeit less comedy focused this time around) is all here in spades. The focus is on the music this time around, (main character Baby has tinnitus, and drowns it out with what comprises of the film's soundtrack), and although music and sound have always played major roles in Wright's films (David, kill the Queen! The jukebox!), it has never felt so fully integral to the story and action as it does ever-so-brilliantly here. Like the non-stop pace of 2015's Mad Max Fury Road put into an expertly choreographed music video that never ends. The energy is palpable, the set pieces and stunt work are superb, and the tracks loud and clear flawlessly interwoven into it all. It's a rocking jukebox musical with cars and a playful eye behind the camera. Entertaining, slick, and beautifully crafted doesn't begin to do it justice.

As for content, the film definitely carries an R for a reason. However, the movie's most interesting moments comes in how it approaches violence. Unlike what the site has written, Baby Driver rarely, if ever stoops so low as to glorify violence inflicted on innocents. The camera remains subjective, and Baby as a kind soul being pressured to drive for criminals, deliberately averts his eyes from the acts of violence he seems to feel some responsibility for, and even tries to interfere at any moment he can. As such, when the time does come for the inevitable explosion, the violence perpetrated feels suitably harsh and confrontational, never used as a release or source of pleasure (besides, there are plenty of inventive chases for that). Baby tries is absolute hardest to protect the innocent people he loves and understands the consequences of his life choices and how they will effect others. He even faces legitimate consequences for his actions by the end of the film.

What parents should know is that this is a film with considerable amounts of language (think Wright's other films, about 40-50 f-bombs used with characters and moments where they generally feel appropriate given the context and stakes), and a couple moments of extreme but brief violence. The overall messages never once condone or glorify any of it, characters who concern themselves with criminal actions and violence against innocents all wind up paying for it in some form or another. Actions are not without consequence in Baby Driver. In the end, it's all up to how well you know your children. 15-16 is more than appropriate in my eyes, given how reckless and extreme PG-13 films have already gotten in their approach to onscreen violence. 13-14 is iffy. If you know they can handle the language, and think they will appreciate the filmmaking enough to merit exposure to some of the more graphic stuff, I'd absolutely look into letting them see what is easily one of the coolest and inventive thrill-rides of the decade and an easy pick for Best Film of 2017 so far.

P.S., Also clarifying the sex issue. There is some passionate kissing and sex talk, but nothing outright offensive. And that bit about the camera lingering on women's legs and bodies or whatever? It's one shot that stays focused on the hips of a woman for a few seconds, a POV shot in fact, from Jamie Foxx's character who is written as an impulsive and immoral person (aka, not someone to be emulated). Both female characters are hardly submissive either. One is an integral part of the plot's main heist. Meanwhile Debora, Baby's love interest, is focused on mostly for the relationship (think Spider-Man's Mary Jane and Peter plotline). However she herself comes into her own and significantly contributes to the film's most climactic moments. Hardly objectified or treated as worthless. Sex is not an issue at all, Common Sense far overstepped in this category.

Teen, 15 years old Written bygratem05 June 28, 2017

Buckle up for an amazing ride

First off, WOW what an amazing film! Even for those of you who are not into extreme violence, crime, gun heists, car chases, (like myself) you cant help but fall in love with this movie. From the awesome car stunts, to the lovable Baby and his foster dad, to the awesome soundtrack, you will love everything about this movie and will find it hard to not think about. This movie definitely packs in the action but is done in a smart, creative way as opposed to the no storyline 2 hour shoot em up films. This movie is smart, original, breathtaking, and all around fun. This movie does not deserve an R rating, however, I would not feel comfortable letting a 13 or even a 14 year old watch this film due to the violence. Now, the majority of the film deals with car chases and gun fire, but, no extreme bloody or gorey images are shown, and if they are, they are most certainly not lingered on. Only one brutal scene stuck out to me. Language is mild for an R rated movie. The f word and shit is said, but not used in an over the top way. No sex scenes but there is kissing and flirting, but very very little for an R rated movie. Overall, if your kid is 15, mature, and can handle violence and loud gun fire, take them and you will not be disappointed.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJC in Da Hood August 1, 2017

17+ is a joke

Teen, 16 years old Written bygregwallacelegend June 30, 2017

One of the coolest movies I've ever seen

This movie was totally outstanding and unique. I was completely stunned by so many sequences in this movie as it's acted, directed and especially edited to perfection. Such a brilliant movie and definitely one of the very best of the year. On terms of age limitations, this movie really isn't that bad in any categories. Sure, there's some pretty bloody gun violence but the camera doesn't ever dwell on the injuries. The shootouts may well be intense but they are very stylish and I for one was mainly focused on how utterly cool the way the music synced with the events of the film was. The language is pretty strong but it's not gratuitous and blends in pretty seamlessly with the script. There is virtually no sex whatsoever, as the rare sexual reference is tame and subtle. So this could definetly be a movie the whole family could watch together and love.
Teen, 17 years old Written bycjkbear1 June 28, 2017

Not as bad as described

The cursing in this movie is over exaggerated by the review given on this site, they talk about sex 1 time and it is very brief and not graphic at all, violence is about the same as any other movie, I would say that the violence in superwoman is worse than in baby driver, it has a good message and does not deserve a R rating

Teen, 16 years old Written bythe_wonton June 22, 2020

This movies just really great man

Screw the idiot blue-haired Karen feminist that wrote the common sense review for this movie, cuz this movie is one of the best ever. It’s just, really great man, there’s not really much more to say.
Kid, 10 years old October 13, 2019

Teen, 14 years old Written bymurdermystery July 29, 2020

Music, Driving, Crime

Other than the language, mild sexual stuff and drinking, parents should mainly know about the violence in BABY DRIVER.

Teen, 16 years old Written byKanye West Backflip June 17, 2020

If this movie isn’t perfect I don’t know what is

Easily one of my favourite movies. Edgar Wright is a goddamn genius and this movie proves it.
The soundtrack and how Edgar uses it in the movie is a mighty A+ from me. Perfect casting, perfect soundtrack and good fucking action. This is one of the only movies I’ve ever watched that I wouldn’t change to make better.

Teen, 14 years old Written byLost Redditor June 4, 2020

Amazing action scenes. Quirky and unique. Great music. Brought a smile to my face.

Not sure why Baby Driver is only rated a 3/5 on here. It is easily a 5/5 for me. The music, characters and action scenes were great and it seemlessly flowed like clockwork. In some scenes, I could have been watching a musical, the way that the soundtrack and movement of the charcters fit together. Its quite fast pased, meaning I was never bored too. This is one of my favourite films of all time for sure!

Teen, 15 years old Written bystars.that.dream May 28, 2020

Interesting, to say the least

This movie has bad references, yes. Drugs, violence, manipulation, and some of the worst role models I’ve ever seen. I don’t think, however, it should be written off for these things. This movie also includes studious care for a caregiver - main character shows kindness and compassion without obligation, a trait that stands out like a flashing neon sign next to everything else. Main character also faces adequate consequences for actions, both good and bad. My personal opinion is that Baby Driver is an enjoyable movie for teenagers 15+, and a perfect gateway for conversations about habits, how the people you hang around can affect you, as well as showing them that everyone has a little good and a little bad in them - good and bad can and does coexist in everyone.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJojo91 May 18, 2020

So good

Really good and keeps you wanting more. Lots of violence but nothing else really. Nothing that a teen can’t handle

Teen, 14 years old Written byiwannastayyoung April 28, 2020

one of 2017s best

this movie is absolutely fine. Not too much violence or drugs, no sex, and i disagree that there are no positive role models. i would say that the prime age for this movie is around 12, but it works with any age over like, 9. Good and fun movies like this are hard to come by these days, and especially with this amazing of a soundtrack. In my opinion, this is one of Edgar Wrights best.
Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2020

Baby Driver Is Good

Baby driver is a very good movie it is only rated a 15 for violence and swearing, come on you've got to admit it shouldn't be a 15 if it didn't have those then the movie would be a PG-13.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydanyol_kauhn March 29, 2020

dull story. great editing

when i watched this movie i thought the opening scene was amazing, but later I kinda got bored. flashy violence is great but you should use it sparingly. this movie shows bad role models, and swearing. many characters die. I think you should only watch this movie if you like intense violence.