All parent member reviews for Ballet Shoes

Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byVloveland February 16, 2009

Wonderful!!

The title doesn't really indicate the depth in this story. My boys ended up watching it on accident, since my daughter and I were watching it. The Cast is top-notch. Yasmin Page's performance is brilliant!! There is some smoking in it. This didn't bother me, as anyone who has had to suffer around cigarette smoke, must realize how awful it is! However, I grew up in a smoking household and do not see it as glamorous or cool. I felt the director was very true to the period. My kids ended up giving me this for Christmas:)
Parent Written byMummy Roo January 20, 2014

No Positive Role Models Here

This has no real positive message aside rom the sacrifice the 'foster mother' and other adults make. The girls who play are the ballet dancer and actress, are spoilt, obnoxious brats only interested in themselves and their own ambitious strivings. Jealousy rules. My 11 yr old daughter hated it and said she thought they were horrible characters. It could have been a great story, with a bit more sacrifice and generosity on behalf of the young girls.
Adult Written bySunnyZim January 4, 2014

Bratty, selfish children show no character development and achieve their dreams

Honestly, I did not see any love or sacrifice in this movie, certainly not from the sisters. What I did see were 2 really bratty, conceited, selfish girls (Pauline and Posy) whose truly awful and self-absorbed behaviour was apparently rewarded with the fulfillment of their dreams. I did not see any character growth whatsoever. In fact, (spoiler) the youngest girl runs off, leaving her family distraught and anxious as to her whereabouts and when she returns makes no apology for her behaviour. Petrova was the only likeable sister from what I saw. Truly not worth showing to your children as it does not have a good or helpful message and the characters are not good role models.