Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Bambi

Disney's original circle-of-life story.

Adult Written bymomof3 April 9, 2008

Good but a little scary for little ones

Bambi is a movie that I approach with some trepidation. My kids and I love the friendships developed in the story. Flower and Thumper are great characters, and Bambi is endearing as well. However, I have had to fast forward through the sad parts for my 3 and 5 year olds, if they want to watch it at all. It is a very emotional movie, and my little ones are disturbed by the loss of the mother and are scared by the fire and the hunters. They also don't understand why the buck (Bambi's dad) isn't really around for Bambi the whole movie.
Overall, I think this movie is best for ages 6 and up, and it's one to watch along with your kids to help explain the issues that come up during the show. The reason I believe that it should be PG is simply because of the issues which it raises. In my mind, there should be less G movies out there which involve the death of a parent, which is such a prevalent theme in animated Disney movies, both old and new.
Adult Written byBrett.matheny November 30, 2019
Adult Written byVohaul February 27, 2019

A Disney classic, but not for younger kids

This movie, while a classic, has some scary moments. First, there is Bambi's mother getting killed. Then there is Bambi fighting his rival. Otherwise the movie is beautiful. My favorite part is the adorable twitterpated scene.
Parent of a 7-year-old Written byElliott and Gwen September 26, 2018

Not as good as the other classical movies

It’s OK but I like the lion King and other stuff better
Adult Written byNytrydr August 14, 2018

From a simpler age. Before plots were invented

I'm not sure I had ever seen this film in it's entirety before this weekend. I thought "I must have seen it", after all, it's a classic, and I was certainly raised in a Disney loving household, had the book (of the film) and called any deer I ever saw (it was Scotland, deer aren't a big thing in Australia) Bambi. I have to say I was disappointed with the film when I took my 8 and 11 year olds to see it this past weekend

Bambi is beautifully and painstakingly drawn, and that alone gives you the impact of how much animated films have advanced in the years since. But as much as people have compared its circle-of-life message to the Lion King, the latter film is far superior.

The Circle of life in Bambi is literally all that happens. Environmental conservation and the evils of man's very existence (as far as the Animals can tell) are all there but only incidentally.

Basically (spoilers here) nothing much happens.

Adult Written byDave H. January 2, 2018

the saddest movie

i love bambi. but i think its a movie for preschool kids.theres sences that are sad. like when bambi's mom dies. it does tell good role modles. like don't kill animals. but its still a good movie. if you do watch bambie whith a kid age 3 and under. talk to your kid. so they under stand the plot
Adult Written byShane T. November 26, 2017
Parent of a 7-year-old Written byNick in NH July 16, 2017

Bambi is a timeless classic - and deservedly so...

Bambi is not for young youngsters, our son could not have watched this at age 5 or even 6, but now as he is approaching 8 he has a better ability to feel empathy for the characters while also being simultaneously aware that they are not real and taking it too much to heart. The story is just as I remember it, great messages, great themes and great characters (Thumper!). It's not as frenetic or quick paced as many of today's kids movies...which was very welcome by our whole family. We don't love the ADD aspect of many types of kid's media these days (it's exhausting!)...and our son has given it rave reviews even though it was less exciting than Big Hero 6, for example.

Parent of a 17 and 17-year-old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

Second only to The Fox and the Hound!

That's right, because it's the best. Along with Charlotte's Web and especially The Fox and the Hound. 5000/5

Adult Written byAAV-sama March 31, 2012

Cute one

Adult Written byMadameChung March 9, 2012

GO BASH THE BAMBI BOOK

I really liked it. Sure the Bambi mom dying might be very scary for children under 7. But before anyone bashes Disney for killing off mothers. HOW ABOUT YOU GO BASH THE BOOK its based on? Since Bambi's mom dies In that too. Bambi is a coming-of-age story as is Cinderella, Snow White who both NEED a step-mom or else=no story.

great movie.
Parent of a 5-year-old Written by[email protected] November 17, 2011

Bambi- What a great movie!

This is a good movie I think for kids ages 9 & up because there are some scenes that might me frightening for younger ones, like the scene were Bambi's mother gets shot by a hunter. I know you don't see anything but you hear it and especially in today's time where hunting is huge, that might give little kids nightmares. (I know it did me.)

On the other hand, Bambi is an anti-hunting film and it shows people how animals feel when their loved ones die or are killed. It shows how wrong hunting is and how you should have compassion for all God's creatures. This is definitely one of my fave movies of all time and it will always be one of the greatest animated movies of all time. I give it an A!

Parent of a 3, 6, 8, 11, 16, and 16-year-old Written by8Rankin July 6, 2009

My 3 year old loves it

This is my 3 year old Addie's, all time favorite. She must have seen it a thousand times.
Adult Written bybrokedownpalace April 9, 2008

It puts me to sleep

I never saw Bambi as a child, so I was excited to watch it with my kids. The violence doesn't scare them and they don't understand what happens to Bambi's mom. My 3 year old just says that Bambi lost her mommy - in a hide and seek kind of way. I still cannot get through the whole movie. I get bored and find something else to do. It is obvious that it was made in the '40's. That said, my daughter asks to watch it daily and she would if I could tolerate it!