Parent reviews for Batman Begins

Smart and entertaining, but also very violent.

Adult Written byfmikef April 9, 2008

Dark

I think that this movie is a good pre-quel to the stories in other Batman movies. There is a fairly heavy Eastern religion influence(I wish I had known that going in). The movie is quite loud. Great car sceens! I also liked the bits of engineering for Batman's gear. My main objection is how frightening is is. The guy with the mask looks creepy--way too creepy. The fight sceens seem very real. When the crazy people are released from the asylum I was quite worried about the kids I was with. Older kids ok, but with parental discussion.
Parent Written bytreat02 August 2, 2012

A great movie, but really has precautions . . .

This movie is very well-done. For someone like me, it wouldn't be quite as bad as it seems. But I will say, it's not very clean on violence. This movie is way more realistic on the violent scenes. *THIS MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS* Peril is throughout the film, but some of it is mild. Near the end, (and it's also in the middle part of the movie as well) the actors spray gas that makes you hallucinate about pretty freaky stuff. Batman does it (sprays the stuff. . . not sure what it's called) to the man who was generating it all. That may make kids upset (like the whole part of spraying it in their faces and making them hallucinate) that Batman would do it as well, also, it could set a bad influence because he is the hero. In another scene (Bruce Wayne/Batman) parents die from a man trying to steal money from them, (he shoots them), which isn't bloody, but it's a tough thing to think about. Kissing is shown. There are also many different scenes of car-races (not really racing, of course) men fighting as well. The Language isn't very bad, (H-word, da-word, a-word) and it doesn't have any intense language. The movie shows children in peril, but they are saved. Characters beaten as well. When you watch the movie, it doesn't seem as bad, trust me. The very good things that are about it is that Bruce Wayne is a hero, and it turns out he "saves the day." Although, there was a lot of destruction. The reasons why he wants to save people are because of what happened to his parents (which affected him). There is some bad things about Bruce, he tried to kill the person who killed his parents, but the man was killed by someone else (gunshot.) I think Ten years old at the least can watch this.

Drinking, drugs & smoking
Adult Written byPoli April 9, 2008

Entertaining but scary

Batman Begins tells the story of a conflicted young man trying to deal with the idea of evil in the world after the loss of his parents. Because he overcomes his desire for vindictive revenge, Bruce becomes a better role model, but this film is still iffy on issues of social behavior because of the danger of children imitating the violence depicted. This film fits several of the criteria given on the Common Sense media violence checklist for whether media violence is affecting your kids. The effects of the hallucinogenic drugs were terrifying for an adult, I can't imagine a young child dealing with them. I would not recommend this film for children under thirteen, and young or easily scared teenagers would do better watching with an adult.
Adult Written byquest13 April 9, 2008

A strong PG-13

A great film many action sequences, some disturbing violent content though so be extremely careful before letting your child see this. Frighting cene pop up a few times in this film escpecially the scarecrow. For an average a 14 year old should be mature enough and I have no doubt once you see this you'll want to own it.
Adult Written byraab April 9, 2008

Good Stuff

Very much like the original batman movies. Although the acting took a step down, the effects and action took a step up. The new batmobile is great.
Adult Written byRcS517 April 9, 2008

A great flick

Only problem I see is a little scariness from the scarecrow for some of the younger viewers
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTheGman447 January 22, 2011

A great movie!

This movie is WAY darker than the cartoons, talking about death, more violence, and blood. The Scarecrow will scare younger kids with the drug effects. Batman is a good role model. not because he uses brutal force, but because he is fighting for good and trying to save a city with millions of lives.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

A Brooding and Engaging Re-Start to a Classic Hero!

BATMAN BEGINS sparked fans' imaginations when the trailer was first released. The classic comic book had turned into a string of four movies, the first in 1989. The series, which had started well, had faded into stupid mayhem under Joel Shumacher. But now comic book fans and fans of the original two Batman films get what they want from the crowd and critic pleasing new installment, BATMAN BEGINS, which starts the story anew as if the previous films didn't exist. It does a good job. The cast is spot on, the script pretty good, and the camera shots and editing are slick and make for the fast pace of the movie. The plot, which sometimes pushes the bounds of realism, contains much violence. Director Chris Nolan commented that people had become insensitive to violence and commented: "I wanted to take it (the violence) back to a grittier place, where you feel the punches a bit more.” He suceeds. Action, fighting, and more action. Much less stylized than Spider-man, and more brutal than Fantastic Four, the non-graphic violence is made creepier by the film's dark tone. Minor sex, and mild language like "sh*t" and "a*s". It's a fun film, but maybe not for everybody.
Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 28, 2009

The Best Superhero Movie Ever Made

My 2nd Favorite of Alltime
Adult Written bychellemomof2 April 9, 2008

Great Movie!

I really enjoyed this movie! They messed up some of the orginal storyline but other then that this is a must see! Not for children under of 13 for sure!
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byCommon critic January 7, 2011

A movie for anyone!!

Batman has been around for a while now.I don't see nothing wrong with it.my two kids love it.I think batman is a good role model in this film

Adult Written byEntertainment Medley May 30, 2012

Batman Begins to have morals.

The best Batman in terms of storytelling, morals and heart! Beats The Dark Knight on those fronts in my opinion. Does come with violence (non graphic),disturbing images and an overall dark story line throughout however.

Positive messages
Adult Written byOlderThanMyAge January 4, 2012

Batman Begins with a bang

For fans of the ever-popular superhero mythos, "Batman Begins" is an excellent movie. Those who are more interested in the main character than the villains are in for a real treat. The cinematography is excellent and Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) shows a wide range of acting talents. However, newcomers to the Batman series or easily-bored kids will not enjoy this movie, as some scenes are rather long and involve more talking than action. But viewers are rewarded at the end with a breathtaking climax and plenty of fast-paced scenes. This is recommended to kids 13&up, mainly because younger children probably won't have the attention span to sit through the entire thing. But if your 10-12 year old child is a huge Batman fan, consider showing them this movie. Aside from several scenes of violence and drinking, it is safe for almost all ages. "Batman Begins" is a cut above most other movies released this decade.

Positive messages
Parent Written byBiser September 25, 2011

A good, new take on Batman

I like this Batman. It gives some clear history to the dark knight that people should understand. Everyone should also know that this movie can only be a beginning to a character study that is decades old.

Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byironman2 May 18, 2010

Dark film with great sound editing

Excellent film violent,romantic and great but there was some content in the film that was inappropriate for my children.

Adult Written bysilakkalaatikko March 22, 2009