Kid reviews for Battle Royale

Battle Royale Poster Image

IF YOU LIKE THE HUNGER GAMES WATCH THIS ASAP

Battle Royale is an amazing movie with a plot quite similar to The Hunger Games. The story is in the future, teens have become too violent and the government has decided to send a random school class to an island to fight every year until only one is left alive. This is the best film I’ve seen in ages so I definitely recommend this! VIOLENCE: Since the point of Battle Royale is to kill each other there is frequent stabbing, shooting, bombs exploding people, poison and very bloody deaths on screen. One character’s weapon is a scythe which she cuts someone throat with. Another character is shown being stabbed multiple times. Two girls are shot while trying to make peace. A teacher shoots a teenage student for whispering. A couple who have hanged themselves are shown. One of the main characters comes home from school to find that his dad has committed suicide. I could write more but I’m just gonna say Battle Royale is a very violent movie that has many on screen suicides and murders. SWEARING: There isn’t much swearing until near the end and it is only in subtitles. The swearing in Battle Royale includes f*ck, sh*t, d*mn, b*stard and *sshole. SEX: The characters discuss crushes a lot but nothing about sex. There is a scene where a boy asks a girl if she is a virgin. When she says yes he tries to harass her, saying ‘we’re just gonna die anyway. Don’t you want to do it once before you die?’ But he doesn’t actually end up doing anything. I’m another scene two naked bodies are shown and it is implied that they had tried to sexually assault someone but there is two much blood to really see them. DRINKING/DRUGS: A lot of the characters are shown smoking and there might be some drinking as well but nothing too bad. Overall Battle Royale is a great movie with a intriguing, gripping but slightly complicated plot.

Overall great movie

This movie is one of my favorites, I dote the aesthetic it has and it’s authentically astounding how it engendered a whole genre of games. If you orchestrate on optically canvassing this movie you won’t regret. Shout out benjicold

Deeply disturbing

Deeply sad and disturbing movie

Violent But Competent Fight to the Death

Wawaweewa! This incredibly well-done teen dystopia keeps the unsettling tension high (particularly in the first act) while exploring how various characters adapt to the game of murder. Its plot is not quite as clever as Oldboy's, but the use of themes, action, and subplots here is so masterful that I found it to be an even better film. I can't say I followed all of the characters since there were so many of them, but they all felt critical to the story. In conclusion, while I can't say this is my favorite film, it's still very, very good.

Awesome, one of my favorite movies

This movie is one of my favorites, i bought it on iTunes and now watch it at least once a year. Battle has a large body count, the deaths are so over the top yet so unrealistic that it wont scare younger teens. Some talk of sex and one scene where characters are shown drinking alcohol.

Mature Film that Inspired the Hunger Games

I read the novel a couple years before I watched this film. In my opinion, the novel is better and has more detail about the characters and overall plot. However, I think that this is still an outstanding movie that does a good job of tackling the complex themes of the novel. Despite what some of the reviews here say, it should not be written off as a “Japanese Hunger Games”; Battle Royale was published prior to Hunger Games, and is likely the inspiration behind it. They are two very different stories, and should be treated as such. This movie is not for younger teens. I was 14 when I read the novel, and even then I was mature for my age and had read novels tackling dark, graphic themes like this. The movie itself is chalk-full of graphic, over-the-top violence. I would say that a mature 15 year old could probably watch this film and enjoy it, but otherwise I would rate this 17+. Many of the other kids here are too young or not mature enough to have seen this movie, which I believe is reflected in their reviews. There is also nuance and subtext in this film that may get lost in the subtitles and overlaying violence. This movie is meant for a mature audience that is open to international films. Younger teens are also less likely to be open to the subtitles and may dislike the movie because you much read along. Personally, I love this movie and believe that it is a cult classic that does a great job of portraying the nuance of the novel while still being entertaining. I would definitely recommend this movie for families with older, mature teens who are interested in international films, and would be open to serious discussion about the topics in the movie. Parents should carefully consider the themes as content in this film before viewing it with anyone under the age of 17.

Bloodiest fight to number one

The movie is bloody and gory and may scare others in terms of graphic images. Language is strong but fair. And sexuality is slightly violent as well.

Great!

I first watched this film when I was 12. Yes it’s very violent but looks quite fake. Great movie. I think that teens are old enough to watch and understand it. Nice melancholy ending. Ignoring the violence, the plot and storyline is great. :) I don’t normally like violent movies but I would definitely watch this again.

Worst movie you’ll ever watch

BAD! BAD! BAD! What a unrealistic, brutal and stupid movie this is! I do not recommend

A great alternative to Hunger Games

I watched Battle Royale recently and I think it was awesome. The Hunger Games had to cater to the PG-13 rating so families could watch it, but BR? It just said "nope" to all that and almost got banned due to its violence. If you want a darker, more violent alternative to The Hunger Games, and if you want a movie version of Fortnite or PUBG, This movie and the book released before it is definitely the right choice for you.