Kid reviews for Battle Royale

Ultraviolent Japanese cult movie came before Hunger Games.

Teen, 16 years old Written bymalody August 27, 2018

Worst movie you’ll ever watch

BAD! BAD! BAD! What a unrealistic, brutal and stupid movie this is! I do not recommend

Teen, 16 years old Written byThat90sguy October 20, 2012

Stupid movie, but that's what it's supposed to be

Found this movie on Netflix after wacthing The Hunger Games. It's so over the top it became silly to me. It is the same plot, where a select number of children are chosen to kill each other and the last one who survives wins. In this movie, I could not stop laughing at how bad the characters acted. Some of them commit suicide, others shoot each other, and it's all over the top so I didn't care if they died or not. (I mostly laughed) Even though its funny, it's a 'so bad, it's good' movies, meaning it can be boring at times and it only has its moments. Overall, I think anyone over the age of 15 will have no problem wacthing it, but it's not completely recommended

Kid, 11 years old May 6, 2013

MESSED UP STUFF

THIS MOVIE HAS A LOT OF GORE AND VILANCE AND IT IS 17 TIMES WORSE THAN THE HUNGER GAMES AND IT IS TERRIFING

Teen, 13 years old Written byFlippy12052004 April 24, 2018

A great alternative to Hunger Games

I watched Battle Royale recently and I think it was awesome. The Hunger Games had to cater to the PG-13 rating so families could watch it, but BR? It just said "nope" to all that and almost got banned due to its violence. If you want a darker, more violent alternative to The Hunger Games, and if you want a movie version of Fortnite or PUBG, This movie and the book released before it is definitely the right choice for you.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDonutsforLife March 30, 2018

Better than The Hunger Games by a long shot

Let me start off by saying this movie was excellent. It does get graphic at times. I didn’t necessarily get bothered by the violence since I’ve seen movies with far worse violence that doesn’t bother me too much. People are shot repeatedly, people are stabbed(a guy gets stabbed in his precious jewels) and is just overall very bloody. There is quite a bit of language in this as well. This movie has great messages in it. Who are your real friends? Should you trust anyone in this fight to the death? The characters are interesting and I found myself rooting for Nakagawa and Shuya. If your child has seen graphic movies before, then they won’t be bothered by this one. How I see this: If you’re mature enough to handle violence and gore, the language, and not get too grossed out by this, I would highly recommend this movie. If you have a weak stomach and can’t handle seeing what was mentioned above, then have fun watching the hunger games.

Teen, 14 years old Written byFutureactor1126 January 27, 2013

Better Version of Hunger Games

Battle Royale is a Japanese thriller about teens who are forced to kill each other in an arena due to the BR act. I think the main issue with this particular film is its extreme violence. It is frequent and graphic. Some examples are people getting shot, cut, blown up, and even decapitated. I think most characters are terrible role models except for Nanahara who listens to his conscious and refrains from killing anyone (except for one guy, but that was an accident) he also protects his best friends crush after he is killed by the sadistic overseer of the game the entire time and even ends up liking her in the end. One character smokes a lot in the movie and there are a few instances of drinking. Other than that I see no problem with it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byTHE BR ACT August 16, 2012

10 x's better than the Hunger Games

This film was made first, showing it's superiority over the Hunger Games. I think boys might like Battle Royale better than the Hunger Games because of it's intense action and violence. Not to say that girls won't find anything in this extreme film either. Girls will like the teen melodrama and hopeful ending.

Teen, 17 years old Written bygigi2784 May 9, 2020

Mature Film that Inspired the Hunger Games

I read the novel a couple years before I watched this film. In my opinion, the novel is better and has more detail about the characters and overall plot. However, I think that this is still an outstanding movie that does a good job of tackling the complex themes of the novel.
Despite what some of the reviews here say, it should not be written off as a “Japanese Hunger Games”; Battle Royale was published prior to Hunger Games, and is likely the inspiration behind it. They are two very different stories, and should be treated as such.
This movie is not for younger teens. I was 14 when I read the novel, and even then I was mature for my age and had read novels tackling dark, graphic themes like this. The movie itself is chalk-full of graphic, over-the-top violence. I would say that a mature 15 year old could probably watch this film and enjoy it, but otherwise I would rate this 17+. Many of the other kids here are too young or not mature enough to have seen this movie, which I believe is reflected in their reviews. There is also nuance and subtext in this film that may get lost in the subtitles and overlaying violence. This movie is meant for a mature audience that is open to international films. Younger teens are also less likely to be open to the subtitles and may dislike the movie because you much read along.
Personally, I love this movie and believe that it is a cult classic that does a great job of portraying the nuance of the novel while still being entertaining. I would definitely recommend this movie for families with older, mature teens who are interested in international films, and would be open to serious discussion about the topics in the movie.
Parents should carefully consider the themes as content in this film before viewing it with anyone under the age of 17.

Teen, 14 years old Written byGamersnews32 May 7, 2019

Bloodiest fight to number one

The movie is bloody and gory and may scare others in terms of graphic images. Language is strong but fair. And sexuality is slightly violent as well.

Teen, 13 years old Written bygobirds January 22, 2019

Great!

I first watched this film when I was 12. Yes it’s very violent but looks quite fake. Great movie. I think that teens are old enough to watch and understand it. Nice melancholy ending. Ignoring the violence, the plot and storyline is great. :) I don’t normally like violent movies but I would definitely watch this again.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJohn A. September 5, 2018

Rated 18 (strong bloody violence).

SEX/NUDITY - Implied child sexual abuse, some sex references and infrequent brief nudity. VIOLENCE/GORE - Frequent strong violence, sometimes bloody. PROFANITY - Infrequent strong language ("f*ck"). DRINKING/DRUGS/SMOKING - Some underage smoking/drinking. THREAT/HORROR - Strong sustained threat, sometimes sadistic. Very dark and disturbing atmosphere throughout.

18 - Suitable only for persons aged 18 years and over. Contains very strong content, and is recommended for viewing by adults only.

Teen, 14 years old Written bywulf2604 March 14, 2018

Teen, 16 years old Written byInkySquid 2. February 27, 2018

A spiced up version of hunger games

This is the best knock off movie I saw in my life. It is basically hunger games but, more intense and lit. The random weapons that the children get really make the knock off better than hunger games. Because they wear exploding collars, it reduces the chances of survival of some kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybiovox14 May 1, 2017

Before Hunger Games, but not better

Yea basically this movie was really badly acted, bad effects, stupid expressions, and was b rated. The idea was relatively unique, but it was so badly done it was almost funny to watch. The Hunger Games handled this story much better, and this was basically a live action anime. Not really worth watching.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymatthewdon2002 February 6, 2017

An excellent film

I watched this when I was thirteen and it didn't bother me in the slightest. It is highly violent but if your child is very mature then I think it's okay. The kid is probably mature anyway if he's willing to sit through a subtitled film... It was very well received by critics and for good reason... Superb on all fronts.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMinzy21 July 15, 2014

Violent, Yet Better Version of The Hunger games

I watched this when I learned everything I had to know about The Hunger Games, although this is was when I was a preteen but I watched it in class since everyone wanted to watch this. I mean everyone. After I watched this film, I thought it was so much better and way violent than The Hunger Games. Although they're some scenes that were too inappropriate and violent, (which is pretty much every scenes) it does have better tweaks than The Hunger Games. I still love The Hunger Games along with Battle Royale. By the way, NO kid should be watching this unless they're not afraid of blood and gore. To be honest for me, I was just cheering on for Mitsuko throughout the whole thing without even noticing the blood! xD

Teen, 15 years old Written byJ4VZ October 13, 2013

Best Japanese Cult Ever

Brilliant Japanese Cult for elder viewers.

Kid, 11 years old September 29, 2013

The best movie I have see so far!

Saying that Battle Royale is good is a gross understatement. It is one of the best movies of all time. While it is violent, it does have some of the best pacing. The action scenes are brilliantly executed, and have you on the edge of your seat. The only problem is how violent it is. Most kids under 13 would have stepped out of the room/theater in 30 minutes. The drama is great, some characters have a good background story.
Conclusion: While it is violent, it is an awesome watch.

Teen, 14 years old Written bygenocidersyodown September 25, 2013

A modern take on "Lord of the Flies."

I've always believed that kids should read whatever they want to read. Book censorship is ridiculous. You can't just hide certain things from us. What's the worst thing that could happen? I'd send my class to a deserted island and force them to kill one another? Doubt it. So, please, if your kid thinks they are mature enough to read Battle Royale, let them.
Now that's out of the way, let me talk about the actual book.
It's incredible. Stunning. Intense. I had to put down the book a few times in pure shock, and often felt like crying over characters. Koushun Takami manages to create realistic flesh and blood characters who have ideals, hopes, dreams, and motivations. You grow connected to everyone, from charismatic protagonist Shuya to brilliant yet emotionally crippled Kazuo. It's all very intense and thought provoking, and its purpose is to dig a little deeper into the psychological complexity of the situation, and says a lot about mankind. You think twice about the themes, and the truth of human nature. This book has serious commentary on authoritarian government, and could possibly be described as a marriage between Orwell's 1984, Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Long Walk.
Battle Royale is the ultimate allegory. A must read.

Teen, 14 years old Written byChrisJericho2012 September 13, 2013

Battle Royale: Movie/Book

Great book/Movie with some sexual innuendo, but it is brief 1/2 page in book and 10 seconds in the movie. Characters occasionally say SH*T and F*CK but it is in Japanese and not incredibly offensive. There is some blood and vioilence, because it is teh Hunger Game made 10 years earlier and The Hunger games on Steroids. Recommended to 13 and up. None of the characters are great role models with the exception of Shuya Nanahara and Noriko Nakagawa. They are both kind and refuse to kill anyone. Shogo Kawada isn't an awful role model, because he loves his family and went back in the game to try and help the people in it, but he smokes occasionally and sometimes drinks from a flask.