Kid reviews for Battle Royale

Ultraviolent Japanese cult movie came before Hunger Games.

Teen, 15 years old Written byTHE BR ACT August 16, 2012

10 x's better than the Hunger Games

This film was made first, showing it's superiority over the Hunger Games. I think boys might like Battle Royale better than the Hunger Games because of it's intense action and violence. Not to say that girls won't find anything in this extreme film either. Girls will like the teen melodrama and hopeful ending.

Teen, 13 years old Written byjustareviewer April 10, 2012

Finally! A Battle Royale Review

This movie is my favorite Japanese movie (with Ringu as a close second). Parents should know that the violence is extreme, with almost every classmate dying on-screen. As for the deaths themselves, you have deaths range from a brief glance at a shot to the head to a sickle causing a player to spray blood from her neck. Their is some sexual innuendo, the most disturbing being a older man attempting to sexually assault a young child, but failing.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySome person June 18, 2012

Great Movie, But Book/Manga was Better

"Battle Royale" (2000) was great! There isn't nearly as much development in the movie, so it's hard to cry for some of the characters at times. This movie does the manga/novel no justice, but it's not bad. You get to know quite a few characters in the movie, while you get to know all but maybe one or two of the 42 students (yes, CSM, it's 42, not '50'. Just saying) in the manga/novel. Anyway, 42 students are essentially captured while riding the bus and are forced to participate in "The Program". The Program takes a class of ninth graders, and forces them to kill eachother on an island until only one remains. They're given duffel bags with weapons selected at random. (The weapon may be an extremely useful weapon such as an AK-47, machete, or a rifle! Though, it could also be a fork, pot lid, or even binoculars.) I think the main difference between Battle Royale and The Hunger Games is that in The Hunger Games, they hardly know eachother. In Battle Royale, they have to kill their friends/best friends. There's also no way Suzanne Collins came up with The Hunger Games without ever having heard of Battle Royale. They're too similar. The premise isn't the most original thing ever, sure, and I know Battle Royale wasn't the first of its kind, but a lot of stuff in both of them (OTHER than kids killing kids)...is the same.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 April 14, 2012

Only for the most mature teens.

Saw it on Unrated Cut a long time back it's not really all that great to fuss about too much violence Hunger Games is much better.

Teen, 14 years old Written byFutureactor1126 January 27, 2013

Better Version of Hunger Games

Battle Royale is a Japanese thriller about teens who are forced to kill each other in an arena due to the BR act. I think the main issue with this particular film is its extreme violence. It is frequent and graphic. Some examples are people getting shot, cut, blown up, and even decapitated. I think most characters are terrible role models except for Nanahara who listens to his conscious and refrains from killing anyone (except for one guy, but that was an accident) he also protects his best friends crush after he is killed by the sadistic overseer of the game the entire time and even ends up liking her in the end. One character smokes a lot in the movie and there are a few instances of drinking. Other than that I see no problem with it.

Teen, 14 years old Written bypoisondeath123 July 26, 2012

Great book!

A very excellent book that really helps kids grasp the truth of fascism and defiance via an action-packed bloodbath. Overall, it is much better than the Hunger Games, as all of its facets are much more realistic. The ultimate message here is very positive as it portrays the struggle for human rights and freedom. I don't understand how anyone could say it has a negative message. Violence doesn't mean it automatically has a bad theme...

Teen, 15 years old Written byJ4VZ October 13, 2013

Best Japanese Cult Ever

Brilliant Japanese Cult for elder viewers.

Kid, 12 years old November 11, 2012

Great Movie!!

The hunger games is a worse version of this book that they turned into a movie. this movie is very violent, but it is also very good. The violence may shock some viewers, but good prevails in the end. There are two characters, Mitsuko and Kazuo, that are killers and very violent and brutal. the sexual content really isn't much and that is not the premise of the movie. A lot of the violence looks fake but some of it looks shockingly real, like in one scene where a girl is talking to another girl while holding a sickle to her neck.

Kid, 12 years old May 20, 2012

Brilliant

Battle Royale is a deep and engaging film. Fukusaku develops emotion through the horrifying violence, the amazing characters, and the sad soundtrack that makes you realize what a deep film it is.
Teen, 14 years old Written byChrisJericho2012 September 13, 2013

Battle Royale: Movie/Book

Great book/Movie with some sexual innuendo, but it is brief 1/2 page in book and 10 seconds in the movie. Characters occasionally say SH*T and F*CK but it is in Japanese and not incredibly offensive. There is some blood and vioilence, because it is teh Hunger Game made 10 years earlier and The Hunger games on Steroids. Recommended to 13 and up. None of the characters are great role models with the exception of Shuya Nanahara and Noriko Nakagawa. They are both kind and refuse to kill anyone. Shogo Kawada isn't an awful role model, because he loves his family and went back in the game to try and help the people in it, but he smokes occasionally and sometimes drinks from a flask.

Kid, 12 years old August 7, 2013

A Favorite.

I thought Battle Royale was a great engaging film which portrays the novel and manga well. It surpasses the Hunger Games since their is a Sex scene, Suicide scene, Much more violence, more realistic, a lot of emotions tied in with intense scenes and much more engaging since you are killing or being killed by your dearest friends. It is very sad but very interesting to see what students at the ripe age of 15 would do in a Kill or be Killed scenario, young and barely alive. One student spends the entire game looking for the two girls that mean the most to him his best friend and girlfriend just to end up getting killed but almost making it. Another student goes around as a merciless killer using her charm and acting skills to plot out all of her victims deaths. and for her male opponents she seduces them and then betrays them in order to get the kill. Over all it is wonderful. If you like the movie the novel and manga I feel lets you get to know each perspective and aspect of the story better.

Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag November 27, 2012

Really violent japanese movie is as brillant as it is bloody.

"Battle Royale" is a japanese cult movie by Kinji Fukasaku released in 2000. You need to know that two incidents made this a cult classic: Firstly, director Quentin Tarantino called it the best movie since 1992. Secondly, when in 2012 "The Hunger Games" was released, there has been a huge discussion if "The Hunger Games" has stolen its plot from Battle Royale. And yes, both movies tell the story of a group of underage people having to fight each other until only one remains. But still, both movies have a completely different way of storytelling. While "The Hunger Games" focused on its female leading role only, Battle Royale, still having his protagonists, tells the stories of nearly all of the side characters, too. There are no unnecessary deaths or characters. Every character deals with the situation in a unique way. Some commit suicide, some burst out in psychopathic killing sprees, some take revenge on characters that bullied them in the past, some form small groups, etc. Even if a character we only knew a few seconds dies, we still learn some of his emotions, or his past. Also, the movie's three protagonists are very interesting. Two of them (one played by "Death Note"-star Tatsuya Fujiwara) refuse using violence, and a third one, who already fought in another Battle Royale, kind of tries to prevent them from harm. They stand together, even if they know that only one can survive. Also, the screenplay is perfectly written, the movie is perfectly filmed. The movie has lots to think about - what would you do in such a situation? Which character acted like you would? Overall, "Battle Royale" seems like a more thoughtful, mature version of the already really good movie "The Hunger Games" (4/5 stars), and is one of the best movies ever released. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (SPOILERS may follow:) The movie's is extremely violent. The brutality caused an 18 rating in almost every country and in Germany and Singapor, it was banned. Almost all of the violence is bloody and brutal, even though it is not a splatter movie. The movie's plot can be unsettling, but the movie itself is not disturbing. It is impossible to write down everything, here are the worst scenes: A character's collar explodes and there is a graphic wound on his neck, and blood fountains out in a way we know it from Tarantino's "Kill Bill". A character has an axe stuck in the back of his head (it was an accident). A character has a knife rammed into his testicles and is then repeatenly stabbed. After being poisoned, a girl vomits blood. A man is decapitated (the decapitation is off-screen, his head is revealed then). A girl's throat is slit with a sense and blood is seen spraying out. A girl has a knife thrown onto her forehead (no blood). We see several bloody corpses. Several people are shot in a bloody way. The violence is frequent, but necessary in order to show how gruesome this game is. The violence is not disturbing, but bloody. There is R-language. Mature elements includes pedophilia, but there is no sex or nudity in this movie. (END OF SPOILERS) I rate this "NOT FOR KIDS", but I think mature viewers, 15-17 can handle this. But not all of them.

Teen, 13 years old Written byE. Flores August 25, 2012

The Best Film Since Pulp Fiction

Battle Royal is a groundbreaking film which is as violent as it is entertaining. Everything is well thought out and character driven. It also has the positive message of thinking first. Just a mind-blowing film.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMinzy21 July 15, 2014

Violent, Yet Better Version of The Hunger games

I watched this when I learned everything I had to know about The Hunger Games, although this is was when I was a preteen but I watched it in class since everyone wanted to watch this. I mean everyone. After I watched this film, I thought it was so much better and way violent than The Hunger Games. Although they're some scenes that were too inappropriate and violent, (which is pretty much every scenes) it does have better tweaks than The Hunger Games. I still love The Hunger Games along with Battle Royale. By the way, NO kid should be watching this unless they're not afraid of blood and gore. To be honest for me, I was just cheering on for Mitsuko throughout the whole thing without even noticing the blood! xD

Kid, 11 years old September 29, 2013

The best movie I have see so far!

Saying that Battle Royale is good is a gross understatement. It is one of the best movies of all time. While it is violent, it does have some of the best pacing. The action scenes are brilliantly executed, and have you on the edge of your seat. The only problem is how violent it is. Most kids under 13 would have stepped out of the room/theater in 30 minutes. The drama is great, some characters have a good background story. Conclusion: While it is violent, it is an awesome watch.

Kid, 11 years old May 6, 2013

MESSED UP STUFF

THIS MOVIE HAS A LOT OF GORE AND VILANCE AND IT IS 17 TIMES WORSE THAN THE HUNGER GAMES AND IT IS TERRIFING

Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Cheap Seats November 23, 2012

Could You Kill Your Best Friend?

The film adaption cannot compare to the brilliant novel. In the novel, the characters actually had emotions. In the film, the characters are devoid of any real emotion. They are hollow. Nice acting and pacing, though. Contains a heavy amount of violence, smoking done by one teenage character, brief mild sexual moments, and a fair amount of cursing. B-.

Kid, 12 years old July 28, 2012

BEsT MOVIE EVER

It was an excellent movie!!! It was heart breaking and thought provoking :') For me it wasn't scary.. but, that's just me I guess... lol :P There were some tense scenes, like, : "Ooooh, that person has the other person trapped, will they kill them? Or will they survive?" These people, I'm tellin ya this RIGHT now, these people take a ton-load of bullets xD There is loads of blood from the impacts.. And they wear these collars around their necks, which could set off and explode their necks.. And a person at the start has hung themselves, but you don't really see any blood. A student is trying to make another student to agree to have "The conversation" with him, but the other student refuses. Over the course of the movie we find out students have crushes on other students. And in a brief scene, it is implied that a student had "The conversation" with two other students, because 2 students are half naked, dead, and the alive student looks like they're putting clothes back on and walking away. THIS SCENE IS BRIEF. There is A--h--es, S--t, F--k and a few lesser ones being thrown around. F--k is rarely used. A character that is important drinks and smokes. I think Noriko is a positive role model, she looked like a good student in class, and she always smiles happily. (Obviously less in the battle :P) She doesn't kill anyone.. unless I'm mistaken. Shuya is a good role model aswell I think, but he accidentally kills someone. Overall this movie, was amazing... wished they made BR III :')

Teen, 16 years old Written byThat90sguy October 20, 2012

Stupid movie, but that's what it's supposed to be

Found this movie on Netflix after wacthing The Hunger Games. It's so over the top it became silly to me. It is the same plot, where a select number of children are chosen to kill each other and the last one who survives wins. In this movie, I could not stop laughing at how bad the characters acted. Some of them commit suicide, others shoot each other, and it's all over the top so I didn't care if they died or not. (I mostly laughed) Even though its funny, it's a 'so bad, it's good' movies, meaning it can be boring at times and it only has its moments. Overall, I think anyone over the age of 15 will have no problem wacthing it, but it's not completely recommended

Teen, 14 years old Written bygenocidersyodown September 25, 2013

A modern take on "Lord of the Flies."

I've always believed that kids should read whatever they want to read. Book censorship is ridiculous. You can't just hide certain things from us. What's the worst thing that could happen? I'd send my class to a deserted island and force them to kill one another? Doubt it. So, please, if your kid thinks they are mature enough to read Battle Royale, let them. Now that's out of the way, let me talk about the actual book. It's incredible. Stunning. Intense. I had to put down the book a few times in pure shock, and often felt like crying over characters. Koushun Takami manages to create realistic flesh and blood characters who have ideals, hopes, dreams, and motivations. You grow connected to everyone, from charismatic protagonist Shuya to brilliant yet emotionally crippled Kazuo. It's all very intense and thought provoking, and its purpose is to dig a little deeper into the psychological complexity of the situation, and says a lot about mankind. You think twice about the themes, and the truth of human nature. This book has serious commentary on authoritarian government, and could possibly be described as a marriage between Orwell's 1984, Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Long Walk. Battle Royale is the ultimate allegory. A must read.