All parent member reviews for Beauty and the Beast

Parent of a 4 year old Written byKaraLeaP December 29, 2009

Terrible message to send to our girls

This movie sends a terrible message to our girls. All too often we see women isolated from loved ones by their abusers, thinking if they can just love him enough, he will change into a prince. This movie encourages those incorrect beliefs. The Beast isolates and abuses Belle, but when she learns to love him, he changes into a prince. Makes me sick to think my little girl could buy into this. I gave it two stars though, because the music is fantastic, and the movie is well done. Belle was a great role model up until she succumbed to Stockholm syndrom.
Adult Written byconcernedparent April 9, 2008

Be careful..

To most this looks like an innocent movie. It is not that simple. The message my little girl gets is that Belle can fix the angry beast. Well, I work with victims of sexual assault and domestic violence and for me.. that theme is a bit over the top. The movie does have good points, and yes not judging a book by its cover is one of them. Please, just watch it with your children. There are many scenes that Belle is abused verbally, but it is disguised as "oh, poor Beast". No. Also the candle "flirts" with the broomstick as she's saying "no", good message? I think not. I do like the movie, but I do hope that parents are watching it with children to explain further more than simply applauding Belle, tell them it also would have been fine for Belle to leave the beast when he was unkind. She did not have to stay and "fix" him. Just please, do not take this as me hating the movie or being over-sensitive, but I see women like Belle fixing their Beasts daily and it is almost horrifying to see a movie centered around a popular heroine for young girls doing the same thing. Thanks and again.. I like the movie and some of its many messages, but again I can't stress enough to watch this WITH your children.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byCate123 March 23, 2011

Fine movie but not perfect in messages

As KaraLea said the messages are far from perfect for young girls i Can't help but notice how it portrays a young woman despite being locked away and isolated as well as yelled and mistreated still ignores how the beast treats her and seems willing to go through all of this just to win his heart - not a good message for any young girl. However i did like that main character was headstrong and a bookworm and was not afraid to speak her mind.
Adult Written byLaurieM January 18, 2012

Stop sending messages that abuse of women is Ok!

I agree with other reviewer that it teaches women to accept spousal abuse as normal. He kidnaps her, locks her in a cell, makes her trade sexual favors (she must dress up and have dinner with him looking cute) in order to receive food) abuses her father and she falls in love with him. Movie would never have been made with the genders reversed IE- a woman doing that to a man and he falls in love with her. The original beauty and the beast by Cocteau is much better, the horror I find in the sanctioning of abuse and a woman loving it as per the Disney movie (Stockholm syndrome) is a moot point in the Cocteau film when the beast in so obviously a gay character in real life. This puts the movie on a different level, one of more pure fantasy and much more dreamlike. There really is no question that this could ever be a real relationship in the Cocteau film.
Parent Written bySarah W. January 14, 2012

Offensive and Outdated

The movie is about a woman who falls in love with her captor, who threatens her physically when she doesn't follow his orders. Really? "Positive Messages"??? Is this 2012 or 1912? Try some critical thinking before you review childrens' films.
Adult Written byRandomColoradan July 20, 2013

Belle is desperate

So, instead of dating the librarian she isolates herself, then sacrifices herself for dad, then when she's set free she should have got Gaston to kill the thing, but no she was brainwashed into loving him...Stupid right? The music is great ...not a very good message though.
Adult Written byAndyMeatball January 14, 2012

Amazing on the big screen.

I'm 18, so I never got a chance to see this when it originally came out in theaters. I've owned this movie my whole life and seen it about a million times - I practically know it by heart - but seeing it on the big screen was just enthralling! I made my parents go with me and they really enjoyed it too. I noticed things I never saw before. The details really pop out in 3D and the art is just as beautiful as ever. There were mostly adults in the theater, but there were a couple of kids about 6 or 7 years old sitting by me who thoroughly enjoyed this too. I'm so glad that I - and a whole younger generation of kids - are finally getting to see this on the big screen! As far as the messages go, such as the whole Stockholm-syndrome-girl-being-mistreated thing, I have to say that I never noticed or was affected by that at all when I was a kid. I wanted to be like Belle in the sense that I wanted to read and sing and wear blue like she did, but never once did I think that falling in love with some jerk and changing him was a good idea because I saw Belle do it. I definitely did not put as much stock in the storyline as a kid as adults would. One more thing about that - around the time that I was a tween/teenager, I noticed that the Beast pretty much acts like a spoiled teenage boy. In the movie, he's about 11 years old when he turns into the beast (since it's been ten years according to Lumiere, and the rose blooms until his 21st birthday at the end of the film), and since he apparently doesn't have any parents, he's just free to be as selfish as he pleases. Viewing the Beast in that light helped me to really appreciate him more as a character, and it would probably be a good conversation point between parents and kids. Anyway, I've always loved this movie, and I definitely think that it's worth going out to see it in 3D!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 25, 2009

a little much for a five year old.

this movie is great but Geston FLIRTS way to much with Bell and tries to fource her into marriing him. and the beast get angry A LOT. and there are a lot of intence sences. A little bit much for SOME 5 year olds to be seing.
Adult Written bytwistofcain August 20, 2009

love it even my nice who is 3 loved it.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 9 year old Written bymom2fourgr8kids May 17, 2013

Great movie!

To the reviewers worried about the message this movie sends young girls about men and the way they should treat women... How about making sure that Beast isn't a strong role model for your child? Make sure your child sees that dad treats mom the right way - simple fix to the problem with the movie. A brief encounter with an animated movie will not erase what a child sees everyday. Have a quick conversation with your child during the movie (hit the pause button), about how Belle shouldn't let Beast be mean like that, or Beast needs to learn better manners. I mean, really people...
Educator and Parent Written byViolencePreventor November 16, 2012

Use this film as an opportunity to discuss domestic violence

I believe it is important to use this film as an opportunity to discuss domestic violence and abusive relationships with your children. In the film, Belle changes and ultimately saves the Beast through her unconditional love despite his psychological and physical violence towards her. This has important implications on how your children conceptualize relationships. I'd recommend explaining to them that in real life, when your partner acts abusive toward you, you should leave and tell an authority figure. Simply loving someone and accepting them will not change them if they are violent. Also, it is important to stress to your children that jealousy and control are NOT a normal healthy part of a relationship. This is incredibly important considering that 1 in 3 women are in battered relationships with abusive partners.
Parent Written bygiraffeshadow August 15, 2012

not a respectful disney movie

There is one scene where there is a married couple, they pass a woman on the street and the husband stares very disrespectfully at another woman's huge breasts. I think this is a horrible message for kids both girls and boys.
Parent Written byFvolfrine January 23, 2012

Maybe too scary for kids under 8

The initial scenes where Belle and Belle's father meet the Beast are quite scary, probably too much so for kids under 8. The scariness of these scenes are to present Beast as a scary figure, only to contrast that later with his true side, giving the “don’t judge a book by its cover” lesson some weight. I took my seven year old to see it in theaters during the 2012 3D rerelease and he was scared by the Beast’s introduction, but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byForPetesSake January 22, 2012

My 4 year old spent the whole movie on my lap

My about to be 5 year old son was very frightened by this movie. I think he could have coped with the beast's scariness but there were so many other frightening things - mean Gaston, the terrifying wolves - that he got very little opportunity to relax and enjoy the film. It is undoubtedly beautifully done but is not suitable for sensitive kids. My 9 year old enjoyed it without problems.
Adult Written bybranagh April 9, 2008

Great Family Movie. I Cried Dureing The Sad Bit & Sang During The Songs.

This film is a classic that every family should watch. I saw this movie when it first came out in theaters and loved it (saw it again when it was released in IMAX and experienced the same joy I did when I saw it the first time). Terrific fun. The messages are positive and appropriate for all ages. The violence is minimal and non-graphic (I wouldn't recommend it to kids under two years of age, as they may find it scary). The heroine, Belle, is my favorite movie heroine of all time. I love the special features on the Special Platinum Edition DVD, which include two trailers, a making-of documentary, original music videos and more. It's a castle full of treasure. The film's main message, "Beauty is found within," still resonates with me and it is a universal truth. Rated G.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique November 9, 2014

Take it with a Grain of Salt

If you go digging in ANY disney movie there are going to be severe issues with messages they are trying to portray to children, however one movie is not going to affect how your children see the world. Nature vs nurture debate, which is important because sometimes disney likes to have odd messages, it is important to remember that if you raise your children correctly, any relatively odd messages will not hurt them. Beauty and the Beast (originally called Belle et la Bete) is a fairytale writing in 1771 which is actually very interesting to look up, however this is what disney based this movie off of therefore some of the themes are INCREDIBLY outdated. Also it is disney who likes to convince us that most women are evil so take it for what it is. As a kid's movie it is difficult to debate when we are reading too deep into things, some people have issues with the relationship between Belle and the Beast saying it is abusive, I think this is the point where people are reading too much into it, if this is the only movie your child watches, this could potentially be a serious problem, but I'm gathering your child is watching more movies than this, I do not think it is an issue we need to really freak out about. I mean Twilight has a much more horrifying message to children and few people ever freak out about that. But I'd also like to point out that this movie does have some good to it as well, I mean Gaston is the villain in the movie and he is trying to kill the beast for no justifiable reason other than he's the beast, and also when the beast is kind it also shows you cannot judge someone by how they look, they made him violent and aggressive I personally believe to showcase his frustration with what has befallen him and his human emotions, not to showcase an abusive relationship. That is solely personal opinion there, due to the fact that if you try and think in someone else's shoes, you can sometimes see such fascinating things. It's based on your personal opinions of the movie, but it will not damage your child if they see this movie.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 30, 2012

Such a classic!

In my top 11. (and I'm a guy!) 9.5/10
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 20, 2012

beauty and the beast

Families can talk about Belle and Beast's first impressions of each other. What did they discover about each other as their relationship grew? As one of the popular Disney Princesses, how is Belle the same as Cinderella and the Little Mermaid? How is she different?
Parent Written bymimillig April 21, 2012

Can be seen as an abusive relationship

While I love this movie, I worry about the type of model it provides for romantic relationships. It could be seen as showing a typical abusive relationship - the Beast yells at Belle, locks her up, separates her from her family etc. This might require discussion with older kids about how just being nice when you're in an abusive relationship will not magically transform your partner into a prince.
Educator Written byPanzerMark January 25, 2012

Shameful

I am dissapointed that they decided to re-show this movie to the public. They're just making money off making old movies 3D. Recycling might work for the environment, but not for movies. It does have some pretty bad messages though.