All parent member reviews for Beauty and the Beast

Parent of a 4 year old Written byKaraLeaP December 29, 2009

Terrible message to send to our girls

This movie sends a terrible message to our girls. All too often we see women isolated from loved ones by their abusers, thinking if they can just love him enough, he will change into a prince. This movie encourages those incorrect beliefs. The Beast isolates and abuses Belle, but when she learns to love him, he changes into a prince. Makes me sick to think my little girl could buy into this. I gave it two stars though, because the music is fantastic, and the movie is well done. Belle was a great role model up until she succumbed to Stockholm syndrom.
Adult Written bytwistofcain August 20, 2009

love it even my nice who is 3 loved it.
Adult Written byconcernedparent April 9, 2008

Be careful..

To most this looks like an innocent movie. It is not that simple. The message my little girl gets is that Belle can fix the angry beast. Well, I work with victims of sexual assault and domestic violence and for me.. that theme is a bit over the top. The movie does have good points, and yes not judging a book by its cover is one of them. Please, just watch it with your children. There are many scenes that Belle is abused verbally, but it is disguised as "oh, poor Beast". No. Also the candle "flirts" with the broomstick as she's saying "no", good message? I think not. I do like the movie, but I do hope that parents are watching it with children to explain further more than simply applauding Belle, tell them it also would have been fine for Belle to leave the beast when he was unkind. She did not have to stay and "fix" him. Just please, do not take this as me hating the movie or being over-sensitive, but I see women like Belle fixing their Beasts daily and it is almost horrifying to see a movie centered around a popular heroine for young girls doing the same thing. Thanks and again.. I like the movie and some of its many messages, but again I can't stress enough to watch this WITH your children.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bymegangutierrez January 16, 2011

i love it
Parent of a 5 year old Written byCate123 March 23, 2011

Fine movie but not perfect in messages

As KaraLea said the messages are far from perfect for young girls i Can't help but notice how it portrays a young woman despite being locked away and isolated as well as yelled and mistreated still ignores how the beast treats her and seems willing to go through all of this just to win his heart - not a good message for any young girl. However i did like that main character was headstrong and a bookworm and was not afraid to speak her mind.
Adult Written byraquelp1234 November 6, 2011

Watch this

Adult Written bybranagh April 9, 2008

Great Family Movie. I Cried Dureing The Sad Bit & Sang During The Songs.

This film is a classic that every family should watch. I saw this movie when it first came out in theaters and loved it (saw it again when it was released in IMAX and experienced the same joy I did when I saw it the first time). Terrific fun. The messages are positive and appropriate for all ages. The violence is minimal and non-graphic (I wouldn't recommend it to kids under two years of age, as they may find it scary). The heroine, Belle, is my favorite movie heroine of all time. I love the special features on the Special Platinum Edition DVD, which include two trailers, a making-of documentary, original music videos and more. It's a castle full of treasure. The film's main message, "Beauty is found within," still resonates with me and it is a universal truth. Rated G.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 25, 2009

a little much for a five year old.

this movie is great but Geston FLIRTS way to much with Bell and tries to fource her into marriing him. and the beast get angry A LOT. and there are a lot of intence sences. A little bit much for SOME 5 year olds to be seing.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion December 22, 2008

A Stunningly Beautiful Film!

This is an A+ movie. The music, characters, and story are all brilliant. The voice talents are perfect, and the animation is spectacular. I really can't lavish enough praise on this film. The Prince had no love in his heart. For this, the Enchantress turned him into a beast. He has until the last petal drops from an enchanted rose to give and receive love, or he will remain a beast forever. Later, a beauty named Belle enters the bitter Beast's castle looking for her father, who Beast is holding captive. She exchanges her life as a prisoner for her father's, but soon, she begins to change the Beast and they fall in love. Simple premise, right? Yet it couldn't have been executed more perfectly. This is a great movie for families. Kids will love the castle servants, turned into household objects, and adults will appreciate the subtle humor between Jerry Orbach as Lumiere the candlestick and David Ogden Steirs as Cogsworth the clock. The message is moving, the songs catchy and fun. There’s no objectionable content at all. Perfect movie for families. The only animated film to be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. It deserved to win.
Parent Written bySarah W. January 14, 2012

Offensive and Outdated

The movie is about a woman who falls in love with her captor, who threatens her physically when she doesn't follow his orders. Really? "Positive Messages"??? Is this 2012 or 1912? Try some critical thinking before you review childrens' films.
Adult Written byKGav April 9, 2008

Decent story, but may scare younger children

I recently let my four year old daughter watch this movie. We'd read the story many times, so she was familiar with it and anxious to see the film. That said, the early scenes when the beast is angry and yells scared her a bit. I had to reassure her that the beast was really a good guy and he just needed to work on his temper. Once we got through that part, she was fine and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the film. She giggled outloud at the enchanted objects, especially Mrs. Potts and Chip the teacup. And she really liked and connected with the "beauty is inside" message. She was unfazed by the violent fight Gaston and the Beast have on the rooftop, but some younger children may find it unsettling. I'd recommend this film overall, but if your child under 4, I strongly suggest watching it with them to reassure them if the opening or closing scenes scare them.
Adult Written byLaurieM January 18, 2012

Stop sending messages that abuse of women is Ok!

I agree with other reviewer that it teaches women to accept spousal abuse as normal. He kidnaps her, locks her in a cell, makes her trade sexual favors (she must dress up and have dinner with him looking cute) in order to receive food) abuses her father and she falls in love with him. Movie would never have been made with the genders reversed IE- a woman doing that to a man and he falls in love with her. The original beauty and the beast by Cocteau is much better, the horror I find in the sanctioning of abuse and a woman loving it as per the Disney movie (Stockholm syndrome) is a moot point in the Cocteau film when the beast in so obviously a gay character in real life. This puts the movie on a different level, one of more pure fantasy and much more dreamlike. There really is no question that this could ever be a real relationship in the Cocteau film.
Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byadivine April 9, 2008

Educator and Parent of an infant year old Written byFosterFan December 21, 2011

Belle, misunderstood feminist icon

Belle is the best Disney Princess ever. She READS, she's kind, smart, doesn't give in to peer pressure and doesn't wait for her prince to rescue her. Instead, she sacrifices herself for her father, and she actually gets to know the man she loves before marrying him. Some people say Belle is a bad role model for girls, because she teaches them that, by staying by the side of the man she loves, he will change. But they both just met halfway, because Beast had to improve in order for Belle to love him. So, no, I don't think Belle's a bad role model, in fact I think she's one of the great feminist icons Disney has ever created.
Educator Written byPanzerMark January 25, 2012

Shameful

I am dissapointed that they decided to re-show this movie to the public. They're just making money off making old movies 3D. Recycling might work for the environment, but not for movies. It does have some pretty bad messages though.
Adult Written byAndyMeatball January 14, 2012

Amazing on the big screen.

I'm 18, so I never got a chance to see this when it originally came out in theaters. I've owned this movie my whole life and seen it about a million times - I practically know it by heart - but seeing it on the big screen was just enthralling! I made my parents go with me and they really enjoyed it too. I noticed things I never saw before. The details really pop out in 3D and the art is just as beautiful as ever. There were mostly adults in the theater, but there were a couple of kids about 6 or 7 years old sitting by me who thoroughly enjoyed this too. I'm so glad that I - and a whole younger generation of kids - are finally getting to see this on the big screen! As far as the messages go, such as the whole Stockholm-syndrome-girl-being-mistreated thing, I have to say that I never noticed or was affected by that at all when I was a kid. I wanted to be like Belle in the sense that I wanted to read and sing and wear blue like she did, but never once did I think that falling in love with some jerk and changing him was a good idea because I saw Belle do it. I definitely did not put as much stock in the storyline as a kid as adults would. One more thing about that - around the time that I was a tween/teenager, I noticed that the Beast pretty much acts like a spoiled teenage boy. In the movie, he's about 11 years old when he turns into the beast (since it's been ten years according to Lumiere, and the rose blooms until his 21st birthday at the end of the film), and since he apparently doesn't have any parents, he's just free to be as selfish as he pleases. Viewing the Beast in that light helped me to really appreciate him more as a character, and it would probably be a good conversation point between parents and kids. Anyway, I've always loved this movie, and I definitely think that it's worth going out to see it in 3D!
Parent Written bygiraffeshadow August 15, 2012

not a respectful disney movie

There is one scene where there is a married couple, they pass a woman on the street and the husband stares very disrespectfully at another woman's huge breasts. I think this is a horrible message for kids both girls and boys.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 20, 2012

beauty and the beast

Families can talk about Belle and Beast's first impressions of each other. What did they discover about each other as their relationship grew? As one of the popular Disney Princesses, how is Belle the same as Cinderella and the Little Mermaid? How is she different?
Adult Written byRandomColoradan July 20, 2013

Belle is desperate

So, instead of dating the librarian she isolates herself, then sacrifices herself for dad, then when she's set free she should have got Gaston to kill the thing, but no she was brainwashed into loving him...Stupid right? The music is great ...not a very good message though.
Educator and Parent Written byViolencePreventor November 16, 2012

Use this film as an opportunity to discuss domestic violence

I believe it is important to use this film as an opportunity to discuss domestic violence and abusive relationships with your children. In the film, Belle changes and ultimately saves the Beast through her unconditional love despite his psychological and physical violence towards her. This has important implications on how your children conceptualize relationships. I'd recommend explaining to them that in real life, when your partner acts abusive toward you, you should leave and tell an authority figure. Simply loving someone and accepting them will not change them if they are violent. Also, it is important to stress to your children that jealousy and control are NOT a normal healthy part of a relationship. This is incredibly important considering that 1 in 3 women are in battered relationships with abusive partners.