Parent reviews for Because of Winn-Dixie

A girl and a dog educate a small southern town.

Wondering if Because of Winn-Dixie is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byTeaneyMama June 9, 2019

Good but sad

We enjoyed this movie, but the story line does focus in often on the fact that the girl's mom left her and her father when she was small. Alcoholism is also mentioned in several scenes. Overall it is a good story about coming together with others in friendship and has some fun dog scenes throughout... but know there may be tears and a need for heavier conversations as well as enjoying the more fun light parts of the movie.

Written byAnonymous October 1, 2016

Sad

Adult Written bylonniepie February 23, 2016

It is great

I watched this movie in third grade at school and I started crying at the end. This is a really good movie but it is sort of sad that she doesn't have a mother.
Adult Written byCommonSenseChristian February 7, 2014

A Girl, Her Dog, and their Fantastic Flick

When a lonely, ten-year-old preacher's kid teams up with a big, hairy, smiling stray dog, adventure abounds, and so does warmth, friendship, and love. Opal's stuck in a small Southern town with a sad dearth of children her age, thanks to her preacher father's job. The trailer park where they stay rent-free doesn't allow pets, and Dad is usually tucked in his shell, writing sermons. As for Mom, she skipped town when Opal was three, and Opal doesn't know why. So when she finds Winn-Dixie, eponymously after the grocery store where that event took place, it's clear she needs him more than he, her.

Opal and Winn-Dixie grow to be great friends, but Winn-Dixie also teaches Opal how to be a friend, and that adults can be good friends, too. Among those adult friends include a pet shop owner, the librarian, a misunderstood town recluse Opal bonds with over clunker last names, and even Dad, who Opal grows to understand better. Opal is a refreshingly smart, yet innocent, independent, yet respectful, little girl. And the kids in her town are refreshing, too. They play outside, read books, ride bikes, and sit on the porch to eat candy while the librarian tells them a Civil War story. The town even has a converted church (it used to be a convenience store), and Christianity is treated as normal and healthy.

Minor caveats exist. We find out Opal's mother was an alcoholic (nothing is shown onscreen). Two boys call a man "retarded," and other undesirable words, such as "booger-eaters," are tossed around. But other than that, there's nothing objectionable. Pop this one in the DVD player, and bring the dogs and cats. (Birds, fish, and other creatures welcome, too!)

Adult Written byChuck Reid March 24, 2012

Very good movie!

This movie was really funny! It is pretty cool as well.I recomend it!
Parent of a 7 and 10-year-old Written bykellystp December 13, 2010
Parent Written bytiffinya April 23, 2010

good adaptation of book

Adult Written byTeacher3 December 10, 2009
As a teacher, I feel this book and movie have lots of important issues. In my classroom, year after year, it brings rich discussions on things like alcoholism, single aprent familes, loss and longing. My students LOVE this book and movie!
Parent Written byqtnn January 11, 2009
Adult Written bycheevy April 9, 2008
Adult Written byartgrl April 9, 2008
Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008

i laughed

This movie was cute opel is a good actress
Parent of a 9-year-old Written byrobinpeggy April 9, 2008

closer to G than PG

My 6 year old loved this, and my 11 year old liked it (and probably would have admitted to more if he weren't concerned about appearing un-hip). I wept copiously. I thought the girl playing Opal was terrific. Lots of good message, and we had a great ride-home conversation.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

I laughed, I had some tears...

We (my 3 kids and my self) loved this movie. We all had tears through the movie and also had some good laughs.
Adult Written bymomofthree April 9, 2008

It's About Time !!

A movie that doesn't leave you brain dead and sorry you had to sit through it for your kids!? This is a fun, touching movie which handles well many worthwhile life lessons about love, loss, joy and sorrow. Bring tissue if you are a lush like me, otherwise, enjoy this feel good movie!
Adult Written bygoldrush April 9, 2008

made you think

made you think of how one judges people on a daily basics and makes you look in ward on yourself and also at to make the most of your surrounding. Its just a very enjoyable film, hats off Thank You
Adult Written byrayandfran April 9, 2008
Adult Written bylizrose April 9, 2008

Must read book and must see movie for 8 and up

Because of Winn Dixie was a wonderful book and a terrific movie. We saw it together and have not stopped talking about it. I think the role of alcohol in the movie is a great topic for discussion with young and old alike. I also liked that they did not change the ending of the book for the film.
Adult Written bybobby boy April 9, 2008

I wanted to leave

About the stupidst movie i have EVER seen and i about threw up it was so stupid i do not want any of you to waste you money on this movie
Adult Written byegriffin21 April 9, 2008