All parent member reviews for Because of Winn-Dixie

Parent of a 9 year old Written byrobinpeggy April 9, 2008

closer to G than PG

My 6 year old loved this, and my 11 year old liked it (and probably would have admitted to more if he weren't concerned about appearing un-hip). I wept copiously. I thought the girl playing Opal was terrific. Lots of good message, and we had a great ride-home conversation.
Adult Written byartgrl April 9, 2008

Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008

i laughed

This movie was cute opel is a good actress
Parent Written bytiffinya April 23, 2010

good adaptation of book

Adult Written byTeacher3 December 10, 2009

As a teacher, I feel this book and movie have lots of important issues. In my classroom, year after year, it brings rich discussions on things like alcoholism, single aprent familes, loss and longing. My students LOVE this book and movie!
Adult Written bycheevy April 9, 2008

Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byqtnn January 11, 2009

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bykellystp December 13, 2010

Indy film for kids

Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

I laughed, I had some tears...

We (my 3 kids and my self) loved this movie. We all had tears through the movie and also had some good laughs.
Adult Written bylizrose April 9, 2008

Must read book and must see movie for 8 and up

Because of Winn Dixie was a wonderful book and a terrific movie. We saw it together and have not stopped talking about it. I think the role of alcohol in the movie is a great topic for discussion with young and old alike. I also liked that they did not change the ending of the book for the film.
Adult Written bygoldrush April 9, 2008

made you think

made you think of how one judges people on a daily basics and makes you look in ward on yourself and also at to make the most of your surrounding. Its just a very enjoyable film, hats off Thank You
Adult Written bybobby boy April 9, 2008

I wanted to leave

About the stupidst movie i have EVER seen and i about threw up it was so stupid i do not want any of you to waste you money on this movie
Adult Written byG3 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byrayandfran April 9, 2008

Adult Written byhorsecraze14 April 9, 2008

boring...

I'm 15 and I found this movie really boring lol.. I think its great for younger kids and would be good for them to watch and its ok for anybody really I just thought it was a little boring for kids my age and up...
Adult Written byCHolladay April 9, 2008

I was touched on several levels - I highly recommend it.

I saw this movie on a plane; probably would've caught it at some point on cable, but not definite. I found myself relating to the young girl, and moved by the same emotions she felt. I heard the line, "the best laughter is through your tears", and that applies here. A good message, yet realistic. Just enough comic relief and realism. Not sure if kids younger than 10 would be comfortable with the emotional themes.
Adult Written bymammahen April 9, 2008

Family Friendly Movie--Everyone can enjoy!

My 7yr old daughter and 9yr old son picked out this movie. We watched it as a family and we all enjoyed it. It was very entertaining and after watching you are left with a good feeling and good thoughts. This movie has a great moral lesson to be learned--"faith, hope and love-but the greatest of these is love" . 1 Corinthians 13:13
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Because of Winn-Dixie

Sexual Content (Not an Issue): None. Violence (Not an Issue): Some slapstick humor. Language (Pause): A few hells and one damn. Social Behavior (On): Tolerance and friendship are major themes of the movie. Diverse cast. Commercialism (Not an Issue): None. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Pause): We see beer bottles hanging from a tree. Gloria states that she was once an alcoholic, and Opal's father tells her that her mother was a heavy drinker (none of this is seen, just referenced).
Adult Written bymictamali April 9, 2008

Cute Movie

My nieces, ages 9, 11 and 14 all enjoyed this movie. As did my 2 year old son and 4 year old daughter. Any language that was iffy was discussed with the younger ones and any references to alcohol went over their heads. Great for talking about relations between older/younger people and race.
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 24, 2012

Very good movie!

This movie was really funny! It is pretty cool as well.I recomend it!