Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Becoming Jane

A witty, winning Austen bio for tweens and older.

Adult Written bytsumomi April 9, 2008
Adult Written bybsteimle September 16, 2011

Be aware , there is nudity...

Common Sense Media failed to mention that there is a scene with nudity. Two men strip down and run to swim in a river, bare bottoms are shown for a few moments.

Adult Written bykptherocket April 9, 2008
Adult Written byChoconilla April 9, 2008

My husband and I actually left the movie theatre it was so dissapointing

We thought this would be a great romantic movie we would enjoy by the previews. NOT the case. It was filled with a lot BLATANT sexual references and did not seem to portray romantic kind of love. It was just a disgusting movie that did not evoke any kinds of good feelings. I was completey shocked at the extent of sexuality, language, carousing for the PG rating. I would not recommend this movie to anyone. We may have been forewarned with a PG 13 rating or higher.
Adult Written bycopperzinc October 21, 2009

Adult Written byridergirl1993 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bybarb42 April 9, 2008

Okay movie, w/ one very inappropriate scene

The movie opens with a VERY inappropriate scene. I would say you should arrive a bit late if you are bringing a pre-teen. Otherwise, there is nothing objectionable and nothing that great either. The movie played fast and loose with the real story of Austen's life. I prefer Austen's work--not a made-up "bio" of her life.
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Should have been rated PG-13

This is a good but not stellar movie about Jane Austen. It is sad, and highlights the conflicts between love and what is expected of a person by society's bounds. Parents should know that there is a brief scene of oral sex (performed under blankets) but still obvious. There is also a scene where a man reads a graphic passage about draqonflies mating to a woman. There are two bloody boxing matches, and two scenes of men and prostitutes in bars kissing and laughing. Overall, the themes make this movie more suited to teenagers and adults than preteens and kids. Don't be decieved by the "PG" label!
Adult Written bypurplemime April 9, 2008
I was thoroughly disappointed with this absolutely erroneous tale of Jane Austen's life. She would NEVER have been with a man like LeFroy or have ever considered running of with him or any other man. The ladies at the Jane Austen Centre in Bath, England were telling people that it is as far from the facts of Jane that we DO know and were not recommending it. I wish just once that Hollywood would stick to the facts especially when dealing with honorable people.
Adult Written byNicole73 April 9, 2008

I love Jane Austin even more

I am not a great literary reader, but I have spent many years working through classic literature. For instance, I am currently reading Anna Karinina. Honestly, Leo needs to end it, but I will finish the book. I read Pride and Prejudice about three years ago. It was not the easiest read for me but I loved loved loved the female characters and fell in love with Jane Austin. This movie brought back all the enjoyment of that read and made me fall in love with Jane Austin all over again. I hope to encourage my children to be readers of classics and at a much earlier age than I was. I will by this movie on DVD and when my daughter has finished Pride and Prejudice for the first time will share it with her. This movie is not only for Jane Austin fans but it is they who will most appreciate it.
Adult Written bypudgeedale April 9, 2008

distasteful!!

Do we really have to start a lovely romantic movie about our beloved Jane Austin with a reference to her parents having oral sex? Distasteful!! I definetly would not wacth it with my kids. And by the way, I love Jane Austin, she is my favorite author!!!
Adult Written byMegDendler April 9, 2008