Parent reviews for Becoming Jane

Becoming Jane Poster Image

Be aware , there is nudity...

Common Sense Media failed to mention that there is a scene with nudity. Two men strip down and run to swim in a river, bare bottoms are shown for a few moments.

1 person found this helpful.

Good Movie

I love Jane Austin even more

I am not a great literary reader, but I have spent many years working through classic literature. For instance, I am currently reading Anna Karinina. Honestly, Leo needs to end it, but I will finish the book. I read Pride and Prejudice about three years ago. It was not the easiest read for me but I loved loved loved the female characters and fell in love with Jane Austin. This movie brought back all the enjoyment of that read and made me fall in love with Jane Austin all over again. I hope to encourage my children to be readers of classics and at a much earlier age than I was. I will by this movie on DVD and when my daughter has finished Pride and Prejudice for the first time will share it with her. This movie is not only for Jane Austin fans but it is they who will most appreciate it.
not rated for age

Okay movie, w/ one very inappropriate scene

The movie opens with a VERY inappropriate scene. I would say you should arrive a bit late if you are bringing a pre-teen. Otherwise, there is nothing objectionable and nothing that great either. The movie played fast and loose with the real story of Austen's life. I prefer Austen's work--not a made-up "bio" of her life.

Should have been rated PG-13

This is a good but not stellar movie about Jane Austen. It is sad, and highlights the conflicts between love and what is expected of a person by society's bounds. Parents should know that there is a brief scene of oral sex (performed under blankets) but still obvious. There is also a scene where a man reads a graphic passage about draqonflies mating to a woman. There are two bloody boxing matches, and two scenes of men and prostitutes in bars kissing and laughing. Overall, the themes make this movie more suited to teenagers and adults than preteens and kids. Don't be decieved by the "PG" label!