Kid reviews for Becoming Jane

A witty, winning Austen bio for tweens and older.

Teen, 14 years old Written byGwyneth Alice November 28, 2011

An interesting film.

There wasn't much sexual content except for kissing and flirting, and a scene in bed with the two parents early in the film (nothing was seen, though). Two of the men go skinny-dipping, but you could only see their backside. Other than that, there weren't too many issues, other than some boxing scenes (which, in all honesty, weren't too terrible; Tom had a bloody lip after one of them, and it was a bit intense, but I didn't think they were THAT terrible) and one use of the word s--t, among other lesser crude words. The reason I indicated that it had positive messages was because I believe it made you think about where your priorities lie, and to consider family and other things when choosing to "run away" with the person you love. Though it did seem to follow along the lines of Pride and Prejudice (which the historian who wrote the book that inspired this movie seemed to believe is what inspired the novel), it was enjoyable. The movie wasn't spectacular, but it was pretty good; I was crying at the end, and needed several tissues to clean up the tears!

wonderful!

I loved this story so much! the very begining it was a little innapropriate with the father and mother (see the review by cs) but in all it was a great adventure movie. It was cool thinking "so that's where jane austin got her inspiration for the books". if you love jane austin and her stories you won't be dissapointed!
Teen, 13 years old Written byb-balldude04 April 9, 2008

great movie

I thought it was a great movie and i'm not big into old fashion movies. I think that you will very much enjoy this movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written bystar2fruit April 9, 2008
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

It wasn't too good.

It was pretty much the same as Pride and Predudice. It wasn't as happy and not too enjoyable. Many boxing scenes make it pretty violent with loads of blood. Two friends go skinny dipping and it pans over their pare butts. It had a bad ending, beause Jane's life wasn't the best, yet still had some exitment. I wouldn't see it again. Do not see it!
Kid, 8 years old April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written bywhenchiknsattack April 9, 2008

Should have seen Pride and Prejudice...

I saw Pride and Prejudice at the movies when it first came out, and this movie was exactly the same, but not as well-written. There was some iffy sexual content between an older couple, and then a young man and woman dating. Honestly, though, it was depressing. It was slow-moving, predictable, and had a sad ending. I cried too much, I didn't like it. People looking to see a happier version should watch Pride and Prejudice instead.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylayniebugg April 9, 2008

this was magnificent!

This movie makes you laugh, cry, leap with joy, and even get a tad angry. i do not reccomend this film for kids under 10 because it does get a little hard to follow in parts. If you do not like to cry in movies, DON'T WATCH! This movie, though, wonderful, does not end the way everyone would hope. I cried a total of 5 times throughout. I loved this movie.
Kid, 9 years old April 6, 2017

I don't get it

This movie is very confusing

Kid, 12 years old January 21, 2019

Good Movie

The movie was so good! It was pretty similar to Pride and Prejudice, but it was supposed to be Jave Austin’s inspiration for it. There were some minor sex scenes, but nothing too bad. The acting is really good and so is the plot--I highly recommend it. The ending wasn’t the happiest though.

Teen, 16 years old Written byghtehrani December 2, 2018

I don't even know anymore.

I've seen many Jane Austen films, but since this was about Jane Austen herself it was a little different. Personally I don't think it was very accurate to history (but you'd have to Google that one) and the plot was just very frustrating at times. The relationship between our leads is strange. Jane gives little to no sign of liking Tom early on in the film, in fact she hates him! But then suddenly makes the switch and is in love with him. I'm unsure what kind of relationship this was supposed to be. It is a 2 hour long movie, surely they could've added a bit more of Jane's gradual development of feelings? As for what parents should know, this film is mostly clean. There is a scene at the beginning of Jane's parents apparently taking part in a sort of sexual behaviour, though it isn't shown. Sex in its many forms is alluded to multiple times, including one of the characters being shown disappearing into another character's room at night. There is also brief nudity, as two guys are shown going skinny dipping. As for violence, there is little, save for some fighting and brief sight of a bleeding nose. Language literally consists of "d*mn" and that's only once. Positive messages are few...I'm not too sure what to glean from this.