All parent member reviews for Beetlejuice

Parent of a 10 and 17 year old Written bysdotwolf March 13, 2009

great movie but a lot more than the review says

great, witty, and entertaining movie. i only take issue with the inaccurate description provided by common sense. there are several sexual references ("sexual perverts" and moaning mistaken as active sex by teenager for two examples). there's a lot of swearing - s**t, god d*** (many of this), hell (not just as the place), and one f***. there are some very, though comic in context, scary images (face ripped off, bloody toothed monster, people cut in half, etc). there are also many (8) references to suicide. it's just for an older crowd than 9 years old.
Parent of a 4, 4, 7, and 10 year old Written by4kidmom May 6, 2010

Good for tweens and up

We really like this classic from way back when! It's a little disgusting, very funny, but too disturbing for younger kids. They will miss the humor and only be scared or disturbed by it, and they will not understand, nor should they be introduced to the recurrent images and ideas surrounding suicide. There are also several language issues that we had forgotten about until we were already watching it with our 10 and 7 year old( One utterance of F**k and several other less potent swear words). Our 7 year old should not have been watching it!
Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written bycherifff May 7, 2010

Parents need to know that there are several swear words in this movie including the F word- almost all spoken by the crude Beetlejuice character. He grabs himself in several lewd ways, makes constant, indecent and inappropriate advances and comments towards another man's wife and at one point enters a whore house where scantily clad women awaited. I was watching this with my 10 year old daughter and was shocked to the point of turning it off. I would not recommend it for any age.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byHalljanex April 9, 2008

Not good for young kids

Because this was rated PG, I got it for my 11 and 8 year old. It was really not right for them at all and my husband and I couldn't believe the PG rating. I did not enjoy watching this with my kids one bit.
Adult Written byRachel D April 9, 2008

Yuck, yuck, yuck!

I couldn't finish watching this as a kid and I tried again as an adult. Still couldn't stomach the gross out "comedy" and rate this as dumb, dumb and dumber. Never have finished watching it and can't stand to see even the title without gagging. Don't bother.
Parent of an infant, 2, 5, 6, and 9 year old Written byUTMomof4 October 29, 2011

For adults, maybe older teens. Definitely not for kids.

My grandma took me, and a bunch of my younger cousins and my younger siblings to see this movie when it first came out. I was 9 years old. I would never let my 9 year old daughter, and her younger siblings, watch this movie! It was scary to us kids. As an older teenager I enjoyed it, and as an adult it's just o.k. to me. But as a parent, it is something my kids will NOT watch! The language is inappropriate for kids, the sexual content is inappropriate, and the violence is inappropriate. All of that is even a little too much for my taste now. I definitely don't recommend this movie for kids of any age.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bySteven Matthews May 15, 2011

Not for pre-teens

I was hesitant about letting my son watch this but I went with CSM's 9+ recommendation. I should have trusted my judgment. The cursing was bad enough, but there were too many scary scenes for him, and it didn't help that Burton's direction and sets are surreal either.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byAidens_Mommy September 9, 2010

Ridiculous movie.. don't let your kids watch this.

Beetlejuice is so rude and unless you just don't care what your kids watch, I wouldn't let my child watch this at all. There are several curse words, including the F word, bare breasts, sexual references (including towards a married woman), a scene inside a whorehouse (shows nothing but the women are scantily clad) and a scene with dead souls which could be very disturbing for young children. I know the teens on here love this movie and think the bad reviews are ridiculous- which is why I'm rating it.. unless YOU want your child to think like the teenagers here do, keep them away from this movie and others like it.
Parent of a 3, 3, and 5 year old Written byjonallypugliese1023 November 4, 2013

I Love Beetlejuice!

Saw this movie for the first time when I was 19 after I had my oldest daughter. I loved it right away. Some people are seriously over reacting about this movie. It may have cussing big deal whatever. Apparently a lot of you have really sheltered kids if you won't let 10 year olds watch it. I was watching a lot worse stuff when I was 10 or even younger so I don't see the problem. My husbands and I's aren't sheltered in the least bit like yalls apparently any way Beetlejuice is an awesome movie.
Educator and Parent Written byjusbytheclown March 24, 2013

Classic Burton/ Elfman collaboration, ends well

We decided that our 9 y/o should finally see this. We was scared going in and covered his eyes during some of the more intense scenes, but in the end he thought it was good. He's been a fan of Danny Elfman (Tim Burton film) soundtracks for years now: specifically Batman. The Maitlins are great role models. They express affection, they choose to work on their house during their vacation, they pay attention to details, they respect each others opinions. It's easy to like them and understand their choices. It's hard to like the Deetses. They are by turns bullying, passive-agressive, sarcastic, greedy, petty, enabling, etc. The language rules for PG were a little more lax during the 80's, be aware that Beetlejuice lets out an F-bomb. There are several characters who smoke cigarettes, including one at the dinner table. It's pretty heavy material: death, suicide, the gentrification of Connecticut... The music and absurdity of visual effects help soften the scare factor, and Beetlejuice is a wonderful dark clown.
Adult Written bywonder dove September 21, 2012

A spooky good time!!!

I first saw parts of this movie when I was 6 at a friends house and I just loved it even though I probably didn't really get the jokes or understand the plot. But, to this day as a young adult I have to say it's one of the BEST! It's quirky, silly and witty with a brilliant storyline perfect for Halloween! Lots of fantasy and scares, lots of discussion about ghosts and lost souls, a ritual takes place to bring back the dead - it is very creative and well done. I think it would be much too frightening for young viewers unless they're a fan of scary movies. Not much violence except for giant sand worms who chase it's victims and also a scene of a giant snake who terrorizes the family. There's one use of the "F" word in a humorous way along with some other very mild words. A lonely teen attempts suicide a couple of times. Some sexual content includes a teen mistakes her parents for sleeping together in the next room because of non-sexual sounding moaning noises (however, she discovers it is ghosts!). Beetlejuice enters what looks like a strip club in the model-sized city and shows some skanky women. Beetlejuice tries to look up a woman's skirt. Overall, very frightening atmosphere but definitely fun for families to enjoy together with kids 10 and up!
Adult Written byAndy RC April 7, 2012

Kids will love, shame about the one F word.

I saw this for the Tv premiere in 1991. I was 4. My sister let me watch it, My mother was out. Needless to say, my mother was not so happy when she heard i saw it. I didn't find it scary, I did enjoy it. although this was 1991, and it would have been edited for tv back then I did not hear "nice f**** model". that would be my reason to not let some one see it so young now, unless it was edited. Scariest part: when they turn there faces into "scary faces".
Parent of a 7 year old Written bykansas555 September 8, 2010

My 7 year old loves this movie, it cracks her up. The one scene with the whorehouse is a bit off-putting and the obviously older Beetlejuice being infatuated with Lydia is disturbing, but neither is terribly bad enough to turn it off an walk away. The scenes of death are goofy and hardly scary. The "lost souls" room scared her a bit, but we were able to use it as a lead in to a religious discussion.
Parent of a 2, 5, 10, and 13 year old Written byKristinThorneEllis August 19, 2010

Perfect for teens and maybe some tweens.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byAimbutterfly March 9, 2010

teen plus but not before

Great movie but not for young children at all.
Adult Written byFerron008 April 9, 2008

good movie,just good

Adult Written byDolphincat March 22, 2015

Beetlejuice

A bit sexual and a bit of language, and a bit scary for young children very funny
Parent of a 10 year old Written byzareta January 10, 2015

Amazing

I'm 10 and i thought the movie was amazing. But it's also a little scary, it gave me a nightmare that i was dead and came back to life and had a hard time "living". I suggest you watch it with a parent but nothing else is really that scary. It's an old movie so you can tell everything is fake and are things are made out of clay. I suggest you watch it
Parent Written bywittymom November 1, 2013

Not for 9 year olds

You should be aware that during the movie BeetleJuice has a brief reference to him masturbating. Also - there are several references to suicide, one being the daughter wishing to die and another with a beauty queen who shows that she slit her wrists. My child immediately picked up on this and wanted to know if you could die that way. Uggg. There are several scenes with a man who has clearly hung himself as he is still attached to the noose. There are several curses in addition to the one mentioned by common sense. I was really taken aback when all these negative things occurred as I wasn't expecting them based on the previous reviews.
Adult Written byBringBackCleanMovies October 21, 2013

This is NOT a PG Movie

This is one of my all time favorite movies, but really nobody under 18 or older should see this. There is a reference to suicide with the receptionist, Juno the case worker is a heavy smoker with her throat slashed. the daughter Lydia wants to commit suicide, and beetlejuice is very perverted, gross and crass. He has a foul mouth and is self proclaimed murderer in the name of pest removal. Not a good movie for any kid.