All parent member reviews for Beetlejuice

Parent of a 4, 4, 7, and 10 year old Written by4kidmom May 6, 2010

Good for tweens and up

We really like this classic from way back when! It's a little disgusting, very funny, but too disturbing for younger kids. They will miss the humor and only be scared or disturbed by it, and they will not understand, nor should they be introduced to the recurrent images and ideas surrounding suicide. There are also several language issues that we had forgotten about until we were already watching it with our 10 and 7 year old( One utterance of F**k and several other less potent swear words). Our 7 year old should not have been watching it!
Parent of a 10 and 17 year old Written bysdotwolf March 13, 2009

great movie but a lot more than the review says

great, witty, and entertaining movie. i only take issue with the inaccurate description provided by common sense. there are several sexual references ("sexual perverts" and moaning mistaken as active sex by teenager for two examples). there's a lot of swearing - s**t, god d*** (many of this), hell (not just as the place), and one f***. there are some very, though comic in context, scary images (face ripped off, bloody toothed monster, people cut in half, etc). there are also many (8) references to suicide. it's just for an older crowd than 9 years old.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byHalljanex April 9, 2008

Not good for young kids

Because this was rated PG, I got it for my 11 and 8 year old. It was really not right for them at all and my husband and I couldn't believe the PG rating. I did not enjoy watching this with my kids one bit.
Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written bycherifff May 7, 2010

Parents need to know that there are several swear words in this movie including the F word- almost all spoken by the crude Beetlejuice character. He grabs himself in several lewd ways, makes constant, indecent and inappropriate advances and comments towards another man's wife and at one point enters a whore house where scantily clad women awaited. I was watching this with my 10 year old daughter and was shocked to the point of turning it off. I would not recommend it for any age.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bySteven Matthews May 15, 2011

Not for pre-teens

I was hesitant about letting my son watch this but I went with CSM's 9+ recommendation. I should have trusted my judgment. The cursing was bad enough, but there were too many scary scenes for him, and it didn't help that Burton's direction and sets are surreal either.
Adult Written byshanny88 November 2, 2010

I hadn;t seen this movie in years, so I really had forgotten a lot of it. I checked here and saw it was for 9+ and I can't disagree more. There was too much foul language: many h*lls, dams, Sh*ts, and the "F&" word really troubled me. There was also a bit of sexual innuendo, which was not appropriate for the under teen set. My son and his friend watched it and they are both 9. I would not have picked this movie had I remembered more of the content. Other than that, they loved the movie and it is a classic. Just wished I waited a couple more years for them to see it.
Parent of an infant, 2, 5, 6, and 9 year old Written byUTMomof4 October 29, 2011

For adults, maybe older teens. Definitely not for kids.

My grandma took me, and a bunch of my younger cousins and my younger siblings to see this movie when it first came out. I was 9 years old. I would never let my 9 year old daughter, and her younger siblings, watch this movie! It was scary to us kids. As an older teenager I enjoyed it, and as an adult it's just o.k. to me. But as a parent, it is something my kids will NOT watch! The language is inappropriate for kids, the sexual content is inappropriate, and the violence is inappropriate. All of that is even a little too much for my taste now. I definitely don't recommend this movie for kids of any age.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bykansas555 September 8, 2010

My 7 year old loves this movie, it cracks her up. The one scene with the whorehouse is a bit off-putting and the obviously older Beetlejuice being infatuated with Lydia is disturbing, but neither is terribly bad enough to turn it off an walk away. The scenes of death are goofy and hardly scary. The "lost souls" room scared her a bit, but we were able to use it as a lead in to a religious discussion.
Parent of a 2, 5, 10, and 13 year old Written byKristinThorneEllis August 19, 2010

Perfect for teens and maybe some tweens.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byAidens_Mommy September 9, 2010

Ridiculous movie.. don't let your kids watch this.

Beetlejuice is so rude and unless you just don't care what your kids watch, I wouldn't let my child watch this at all. There are several curse words, including the F word, bare breasts, sexual references (including towards a married woman), a scene inside a whorehouse (shows nothing but the women are scantily clad) and a scene with dead souls which could be very disturbing for young children. I know the teens on here love this movie and think the bad reviews are ridiculous- which is why I'm rating it.. unless YOU want your child to think like the teenagers here do, keep them away from this movie and others like it.
Adult Written byFerron008 April 9, 2008

good movie,just good

Parent of a 1, 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byJacobyShaddix32 January 2, 2010

good movie

good movie to see with the older kids
Parent of a 14 year old Written bysecx November 2, 2010

shivering moments of a crazed movie

:D i saw it an i shiverd
Parent of a 8 year old Written byAimbutterfly March 9, 2010

teen plus but not before

Great movie but not for young children at all.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byfierce_mink_2000 April 9, 2008

Read the kids' reviews!

The kids noticed and cared more that there was a whore house in this movie than the adults did! My husband and I debated letting our kid see it, and were thinking it was ok, but then he remembered that scene. Also, I would rather not expose my son to people smoking. Dead people I'm ok with, just not smoking ones! Oh, and use/abuse of prescription drugs and alcohol, too. Man, the more I remember about it, the less appropriate for children it seems.
Parent of a 2, 3, and 8 year old Written byMom0f4Blessings September 15, 2010

Not For Tiny Tots

This movie does have the f word-once, but it is still there so I wouldn't let little ones watch it.It is classic Tim Burton-Creepy and a little odd but oddly comfortable and a great movie.My son loves Beetlejuice and I think the couple in this movie sends a good message with the love they have for Lydia.
Adult Written byBobslob April 9, 2008

Beetle juice is a movie you want to see!

Michael Keeton and his pals have a ball when he comes back to life in this funny movie. He has to teach two other dead people how to act in the afterlife. They end up learning to live with the new people who live in their house and they sing and dance a lot. Im amazed that this movie was made so long ago!
Adult Written bywonder dove September 21, 2012

A spooky good time!!!

I first saw parts of this movie when I was 6 at a friends house and I just loved it even though I probably didn't really get the jokes or understand the plot. But, to this day as a young adult I have to say it's one of the BEST! It's quirky, silly and witty with a brilliant storyline perfect for Halloween! Lots of fantasy and scares, lots of discussion about ghosts and lost souls, a ritual takes place to bring back the dead - it is very creative and well done. I think it would be much too frightening for young viewers unless they're a fan of scary movies. Not much violence except for giant sand worms who chase it's victims and also a scene of a giant snake who terrorizes the family. There's one use of the "F" word in a humorous way along with some other very mild words. A lonely teen attempts suicide a couple of times. Some sexual content includes a teen mistakes her parents for sleeping together in the next room because of non-sexual sounding moaning noises (however, she discovers it is ghosts!). Beetlejuice enters what looks like a strip club in the model-sized city and shows some skanky women. Beetlejuice tries to look up a woman's skirt. Overall, very frightening atmosphere but definitely fun for families to enjoy together with kids 10 and up!
Adult Written bybrennafly April 9, 2008

creative, original movie

I think that this movie should be ages 10 plus. If parents watch this movie with young children they should be ready to censor. (there is 1 f word) I really enjoyed this movie, it's very different from anything else out there. I thought it was very funny and an overall good movie. Be careful of the age of the child though, the characters are scary looking.
Adult Written byRachel D April 9, 2008

Yuck, yuck, yuck!

I couldn't finish watching this as a kid and I tried again as an adult. Still couldn't stomach the gross out "comedy" and rate this as dumb, dumb and dumber. Never have finished watching it and can't stand to see even the title without gagging. Don't bother.