All parent member reviews for Belle

Parent Written bytracyrene May 11, 2014

Belle: Serious, Sumptuous, Age-Appropriate and Thought-Provoking

I took my 8 year old daughter to this because, well, I wanted to see it. There are some moments that are a little intense and distressing as the protagonist is discriminated against and manhandled by one evil character in a brief scene. However, I found that my 8 year old was engaged, completely understood what was going on (minus a couple of questions about how everyone was related, mostly), and was involved to the point of applauding with the rest of the art-house audience when appropriate (I don't want to spoil it for you!). For Austen fans, you get the look but not the feel - no humor or satire here. Pure drama. Some very chaste romance. Lots of room for good discussion afterwards about race, gender and income inequality, slavery, social norms, and the awesomeness of period costume. Equally appropriate for boys and girls. Generally engaging movie and nice to see a black protagonist in one of these. The fact that the story is more or less true makes it that much more interesting.
Parent of a 15 and 17 year old Written byJohn Lang December 17, 2014

Great, sensitive movie

I found it a sensitive portrayal of the 18th century England. My teenage kids found the storyline very interesting. Our whole family enjoyed it very much. You are left with the message that "what is right, is right", even if it might not be easy.
Adult Written bybemmygail August 30, 2014

Light movie with strong and important message

I think this movie is really special, it's so light that there is no need of nudity. Yet it has a very strong message about racial descrimination, slavery and history. Because of this I searched history of Belle and loved all about her bio! The painting is also very fantastic! Seriously, no nudity, just one kiss that doesn't have any malice. It's very light, you wont sleep with headache, cuz it's not a heavy drama - instead it's history, fact, truth. Me, 23, my mother, and my brother - 11 watched this. We all liked it!