Parent reviews for Big Fish

Big Fish Poster Image

Santa claus unexpextedly spoiled

1 person found this helpful.
A truly touching movie about moving into different stages of aging and more. Highly recommend watching... be sure to grab tissues. Great theme and technical expression of it. Some swearing, definitely recommended for an older audience.

Lots of bad language right away by the kid characters. Not appropriate for smaller children.

In time for Awards season

As other Tim Burton movies not for all. Father and son story contains few scares, some violence and loss. Spectre really exists and you can watch Youtubers like OmarGosh explore Spectre in the middle of nowhere.

Early in the movie, a group of children swear. "Your momma's a bitch." A girl then says "You shouldn't swear in front of ladies, and the boys respond with, "Shit." "Damn" "Screw". Later in the movie, Danny DeVito says, "You were hot shit back in Hicksville." We checked this site first and there was no mention of this.

Outdated, but strong message

In the film Big Fish, a father and son have a falling out after the father (Edward) continuously tells fantasy stories of his life. He then told a story about his life at his son’s (William) wedding which sent will off the deep end. Will has always heard nothing but fantasy stories all his life and wanted to know exactly what happened throughout his father's life. After the falling out Will did not speak to his father for three years until Will was contacted at work one day with news of his father losing his battle with cancer. Upon arrival to his house, he stands by his father’s bedside while his father tells him stories from his entire life.

Good movie

Strong values. About relationships.

Little ones might get scared or confused on some scenes.

Lead character get beat up a few times, shot by a gun, attacked by a werewolf, and other scenes that made my 5 year old little girl cringe. Great fantasy movie. Just be ready to cover little ones eyes on some parts. Anyone over 8 years old would like it. Even though the story lines might encourage questions about what or why something happened.

Heartfelt fantasy for 11+!

I saw Big Fish recently, even though I've owned it for years but never bothered to view it. I like Tim Burton, but this wasn't as quirky and exciting as his other films. I liked the atmosphere throughout, the characters were very likable and the story is heartfelt. I liked the "make believe" tone of the movie with lots of fantasy stories told. However, I can't say it's Tim's best like a lot of others believe. I'm not sure kids would understand this one, it does make you think and you must follow the story from beginning to end as it goes back and forth in time throughout the whole thing. I would watch this again sometime. Language is very mild. Violence is tame but deals with illness and death which some may be sensitive to, also a scene where a character gets beat up and also some arguing of family members. No real sexual content to worry about except for brief backside nudity and mild kissing. Some drinking but not much. Cute for teens 11 and up, but more suitable to the older crowd (in terms of understanding the story).

Big Fish for older viewers (great movie though!)

Big Fish is a wonderful movie but for older family members. There is some brief nudity, naked mermaid shown from the back, then an underwater scene with a brief naked woman swimming by. There area a few swear words (b*tich, sh*t) but if you do watch if with younger kids there is a reference to the fact that Santa Claus & the Easter Bunny is fake. If you have young children that would be difficult to explain. The movie is magical, a fantasy and goes back in forth in time, from the father's viewpoint of telling tall tales to his son's cynical views of his father and his childhood despite how loving his dad was. It speaks to imagination, to living life big, to marriage, family, and dreaming big dreams. Overall the movie is fantastic but geared to at least those 13 and above.