Parent Written byrolemodel March 2, 2013

Big Fish for older viewers (great movie though!)

Big Fish is a wonderful movie but for older family members. There is some brief nudity, naked mermaid shown from the back, then an underwater scene with a brief naked woman swimming by. There area a few swear words (b*tich, sh*t) but if you do watch if with younger kids there is a reference to the fact that Santa Claus & the Easter Bunny is fake. If you have young children that would be difficult to explain. The movie is magical, a fantasy and goes back in forth in time, from the father's viewpoint of telling tall tales to his son's cynical views of his father and his childhood despite how loving his dad was. It speaks to imagination, to living life big, to marriage, family, and dreaming big dreams. Overall the movie is fantastic but geared to at least those 13 and above.
Parent Written bychrise1 October 23, 2015

Very good movie - watch out for one scene

This is a great movie. I want to point out one scene however that other reviews seem to have missed. The father tells quite a sexual joke which goes on for 2-3 minutes and ends with the punch line that the mailman is actually his father. I did not want to have to explain this to my 7 year old daughter, so fast forwarded past this joke (it doesn't affect the movie's plot at all to miss this). The joke occurs about 1/3 of the way through the movie - my daughter loved the movie btw. It's great for adults too!
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011
Great movie. Nothing risque about it. Enjoy.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byGlobal Dad November 1, 2014

Little ones might get scared or confused on some scenes.

Lead character get beat up a few times, shot by a gun, attacked by a werewolf, and other scenes that made my 5 year old little girl cringe. Great fantasy movie. Just be ready to cover little ones eyes on some parts. Anyone over 8 years old would like it. Even though the story lines might encourage questions about what or why something happened.
Adult Written bywonder dove May 11, 2013

Heartfelt fantasy for 11+!

I saw Big Fish recently, even though I've owned it for years but never bothered to view it. I like Tim Burton, but this wasn't as quirky and exciting as his other films. I liked the atmosphere throughout, the characters were very likable and the story is heartfelt. I liked the "make believe" tone of the movie with lots of fantasy stories told. However, I can't say it's Tim's best like a lot of others believe. I'm not sure kids would understand this one, it does make you think and you must follow the story from beginning to end as it goes back and forth in time throughout the whole thing. I would watch this again sometime. Language is very mild. Violence is tame but deals with illness and death which some may be sensitive to, also a scene where a character gets beat up and also some arguing of family members. No real sexual content to worry about except for brief backside nudity and mild kissing. Some drinking but not much. Cute for teens 11 and up, but more suitable to the older crowd (in terms of understanding the story).
Parent of a 3, 5, and 8 year old Written byClear Air Turbulence September 29, 2009
Parent of a 14 and 14 year old Written byjujubee33 June 2, 2009

Metaphorically Speaking...

This movie is probably the nest explanation of a metaphor a kid could ever get. Edward's whole life, he has told his true stories through slightly exaggerated metaphors. I think it sends a great message of the power of love between a man and woman, and of the importance of trust between father and son. It is a great movie to see with your children, and you will have a lot to talk about afterwards.
Adult Written bykirireeves April 9, 2008

I like make-you-think movies

If you enjoy movies like "What Dreams May Come" you'll like this flick. Artsy and a little esoteric, and charged with 'deeper meaning.' I loved it. I especially enjoyed the relationship between the husband and wife--some people do stay in love and faithful forever.I wouldn't take kids to see it--mostly because I don't think they would be too interested. Even teenagers might not have patience with it if they aren't into mythic or allegorical stuff. The movie explores everything from family relationships, to oral tradition, to reaching for your dreams, to forgiveness and tolerance. Don't waste time trying to 'figure it out'--just allow yourself to enjoy it the first time around--then see it a second time to get it all the details straight. With the exception of Danny Devitos bare bottom--there is very little offensive material in this, which is refreshing. 2 Thumbs up!
Adult Written bydenmarkriot April 9, 2008

Tim Burton almost normal

This is a charming movie, a bit disorienting and unfocused, but Ewan McGregor is fantastic and the character interactions greatly appealing. This movie lacks the edge that many of Burton's other movies contain, but this doesn't by any means take away from the story. The plot is pretty difficult to explain, but it's a great movie for teens and adults. I don't think younger children would really understand it, although they might simply enjoy the many stories told. This movie is touching and funny.
Adult Written byChristianmom9803 April 9, 2008

brief nudity

I love this movie, I love the stories they tell in the movie. I think its a great movie for everyone to go see, kids under 7 might not be interested in it, some cuss words and brief nudity(dont look). My relative is in this movie, shes the little he meets girl when he goes through the forest, she throws his shoes when he leaves.
Adult Written byclglover April 9, 2008
Adult Written byMovieLover101 April 9, 2008

Burton at his best.

I love Tim Burton and proud to say it is his best since Ed Wood. The cast excells and the direction, music score and Cinematography are excellent. The movie really makes you think and the script is great too. Amazing.
Adult Written bydonnyrob April 9, 2008

I liked it so much I bought it

This movie is wonderful. There is a little language, kids saying the s word and the d word. Other than that it is great. I would have given it a PG rating