All parent member reviews for Big Miracle

Parent Written byParent2Parent July 2, 2012

Awesome!!

Great movie! A true story that kids and adults should see, Inspiring!
Parent Written bycapecrazy February 10, 2012

Nice movie; could have done without the language

This was a really nice movie that our kids loved but we did feel the gratuitous use of "bastards" and "holy crap" and "hell" were completely unnecessary in what would otherwise be a really nice family film.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bycaribbeandream February 3, 2012

Great family movie

My family saw a sneak preview of this movie last week. The theater was packed with people who laughed out loud, cried openly and literally stood up and clapped when the movie ended. My only criticism is that they could have done without the two "holy crap" right at the beginning of the movie. Even my son gasped because they were so out of context and completely unnecessary. Otherwise, this is a great family movie.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bycatcooperno February 23, 2012

Not really for kids

I liked this movie, but I took my 12 year old boy, 9 year old daughter and her 8 year old friend, and they didn't really get most of it. There's not much in it for them. I think my son liked the tween boy--wish he had a bigger part. There's so much politics and history and adults trying to get along with each other. It's just not really for kids. It's not going to harm them, but they may not enjoy it much. Plus, (SPOILER!) my girls were not prepared for what happened to the baby whale. Really, I wasn't either, not knowing the story in advance and having NO warning from the previews! Be careful with this one.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 11 year old Written bypeanutmom2001 February 19, 2012

Too much language...

I wish this was better than it was, but honestly, when my 8 year old son keeps asking me why there is so much language in the movie when he is usually the one pushing boundaries in our family, I have to say it made it not worth recommending. To the individual who said I should know better because it was rated PG - I would have thought that was because of the death of Bam Bam and maybe one or two swear words. Not the constant barrage of hell's and more throughout. Also, the whales popping out of the water every other minute while looking extremely fake made it really hard to concentrate on the plot of the film. I had no emotional attachment to the fake whales whatsoever. Best scenes in the film were the ones that were underwater.
Parent Written byangela2678 February 12, 2012

Loved Big Miracle!

My 10-year-old daughter and I loved this movie! I agree that the language wasn't necessary, but it also wasn't that frequent. I tend to be VERY conservative about what my kids see, and I wasn't really concerned about the language. I disliked the scene in which a reporter was visibly drunk (and referred to herself as such), but that was the only scene in which drinking was a factor. We were SHOCKED that there was an animal death--we totally assumed it was going to be happily-ever-after. My daughter cried (but so did I!). Some of the topics were "adult," but not in an inappropriate way--they were just over her head. Things like the relationship with the Soviet Union, for example, or the political tensions happening in the presidential campaigns--she didn't understand that, but it's not like it was inappropriate. There were also some clever points throughout--be sure to check out a cameo by someone in the last scene! During the credits, they show real footage from the time (similar to how Dolphin Tale was done), and that was a nice touch. Overall the movie was funny, sweet, and less predictable/cheesy than you'd think. It had a sweet message about standing up for what you believe in and how we can accomplish big things if we all work together. We loved it.
Parent Written byKayaKit June 2, 2012

Good movie, but death is too hard to take

My 7-year-old daughter loved the movie until Bam-Bam died. If we had known the baby whale died, we wouldn't have let her watch it. That was too much for her.
Parent Written bygetmeparu February 27, 2012

Good story with some good moments.

Great story, nice blend of non-fictional events and some Hollywood embellishments. My 7 year old daughter enjoyed, said there were both sad and happy parts and seemed to understand that problems can be resolved when people work together and that even parties from different perspectives can shares resources for the greater good.
Adult Written bySTRIDER9 April 7, 2013

Good

A great movie with a tearjerking part in it.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byjustaddlaughter September 24, 2012

An actual movie without mega-special effects! A+

Mild language (as mentioned in the summary above). My 7 year old was able to keep her attention during the entire movie (odd for her if there's no talking animals, CGI, animation, music or dancing), and asked questions about what was happening. The emotional drama of it was hard on her, but we brought it around to the Circle of Life (everything can be turned into a Disney reference in my house) and how that's just how nature works sometimes. She understood it was based on a real story, and I actually would like to find more information for her about whales and migration, as well as news articles about this incident.
Adult Written byJEDI micah September 15, 2012

Is it me, or is this movie similar to Dolphin Tale?!

This is a one of those movies that people usually see once and probably won't want to watch again. I'm not saying that this movie is bad, though. It makes a great movie for the family, although there is one sad scene and a couple of cursing. It can even send an interest to kids about marine life (if they are that interested). In my opinion, this movie is best saved for renting it from Redbox. But if you suddenly became a complete fanatic about this movie, then, by all means, go ahead and waste your money on it!
Parent Written byMovie_Mom February 20, 2012

Almost Wholesome Whale Story

A very good film based on a true story. I found language was an issue(why must they do this all the time to good movies??), and the drunken reporter was not necessary, but we discussed these things. It is probably worse than they see/hear in primetime tv when away from home. All of my kids(ages 9, 13 and 16) enjoyed this movie, and we were all moved by the loss experienced. Nicely handled on the environmental issues brought to light, although I seriously doubt it was that easily handled during that time. I liked the clips and pics shown at the end during the credits too - nice touch.
Adult Written bynew man February 6, 2012

well

i have not seen thiis movie yet but am noticeng some complaints about language well this movie is rated pg not g and other parents need to keep in mnd mabey before going to see the movie
Adult Written bybluucantu February 5, 2012

Cussing over the top...

It seemed like whoever wrote the script was trying to see how many times they could use the word, "hell". I didn't count but my guesstimation was about 10 times. It's a movie for kids, why is it necessary to add these things? The drunk reporter wasn't necessary either..If they would have left some of things out it would have been a perfectly good movie. A tear-jeaker.
Parent Written byrhonda96 February 4, 2012

a great movie but says "holy crap"

an amazing movie i loved it so did my 15 and 11 year old daughters my only complaint is that is says holy crap and i really don't allow my kids to say that but overall, it's a good movie