Parent reviews for Bill & Ted Face the Music

Funny, satisfying threequel wraps series with family focus.

Adult Written byKtFTM84 August 30, 2020

For those who rock

People that were originally fans of these movies when they were younger know about the vibe and positive message that Bill and Ted bring. This movie will bring that to a whole new level. Enjoy and be excellent to each other.

Adult Written byAndrea Lopez August 29, 2020

If anything you might want to be careful with language they use d—k and d—k weed and damnit. Also the devil looking guy is kind of creepy looking. So if any thing I would say 10+ if you’re kid is mature enough but on average I would say13+ but you know your child better than I do.

Parent of a 11 and 14-year-old Written byamyandmaron August 29, 2020

Good watch for nostalgia lovers and music nerds

All in all, this movie was a really fun ride. However, the current $20 streaming price may only be worth it to a select audience - viewers who are either stir-crazy to watch a new blockbuster, love 80s/ 90s nostalgia or time travel movies, or are hard-core music lovers. Because of complex plotlines, I would rate it best for ages 11 and up. There is also some cursing in English and in German ;-) Our rising 6th grader loved it the best of any of us, calling it her favorite movie ever. There were some good messages about teamwork, the value of family and spousal commitment, and how joyful and rewarding an experience performing music can be for anyone and everyone.

The standouts by far were the young ladies who very convincingly played the daughters of Bill and Ted who didn’t fall far from the tree. Even my rising 9th grader loved their characters. It was refreshing in a way to see girls in a role where they could be carefree and goofy and still be cast in a positive and even heroic light! Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter put a lot into their roles, treating it seriously for some really great results, even though sections of extensive dialogue in the script bogged the story down from time to time. The running gag of them meeting various future versions of themselves was novel and hilarious.

For a family of musicians and DJ, it was a real treat to see Jimi, Mozart, Satchmo, and Cudi portrayed as well as a couple of other legends we’ll have to look for info on. The musical references the daughters gave were very nicely done. In particular, the scene in Preservation Hall in New Orleans (where we were lucky enough to sit up front on the floor for a concert a couple summers ago) where the girls referenced Bunk Johnson and Buddy Bolden’s influence on Armstrong touched the heart of the trumpet player writing this review.

It was neat hearing Wolfgang play a piece of his I had done in high school (we couldn’t figure out whether he was premiering it in the movie). And even though the trumpet and guitar fingerings throughout the movie were not accurate, they had Satch on an antique model horn and Jimi was playing a right-handed guitar left-handed, which is the way he played. Nice details! And when the princess wives mentioned that the song was in the key of C, I had to check - it was. I never imagined I would behold the titular duo performing on theremin while doing Mongolian throat singing. I felt like I was back at the National Folk Festival!

We had watched/ re-watched the original Bill and Ted a few years ago. We started to watch the sequel which I had never seen before but stopped it a short ways in due to some iffy stuff that I can’t quite remember. I think that now that the kids are a little older, we may have to revisit it in order to understand this last movie a bit better - there were some things that were very likely lost on us.

I was a little nervous about the portrayals of Jesus, hell, and death, but for a moderate Christian family of believers, they were tongue-in-cheek enough to remain palatable. In a way, I was happy that Jesus was in the movie, even if only an historical figure along with others like Queen Elizabeth, George Washington, and Babe Ruth for comic effect. Cool to see the hologram of George Carlin worked in there as well.

I’ll add in one more thing - there is an android who grows a conscience, turning from a svelte and futuristic killing machine into a blithering and insecure groupie. It creeped my family out. I thought it was absolutely hilarious in its quirkiness. It is even a somewhat poignant statement on the unknown consequences of a highly developed AI.

Welp, I’ve definitely written too much, but the movie grew on me after it was over from a feeling of “weird but cool” to “I think I want to watch it again sometime”. Glad to finally be able to contribute to Common Sense Media now that I’ve seen a movie that hasn’t been reviewed out to death!

Adult Written byChris3060 August 29, 2020

Excellent family material

Okay regardless of how I filled in the categories this is a very mild movie but had a little swearing little violence little sexual material but the sexual material is the absolute sweetest part of the movie this movie proves how far you should go to save your marriage and family in general it makes you smile and is really good for family's of tweens and up highly recommend it

Adult Written byJaydogZackery August 29, 2020

Wow! Things REALLY Have Changed

PG-13 for "some language"? This is a mid-PG movie at its most hardcore! 20 years ago this movie would NEVER get any higher than PG with the same content. This movie never used any of the 7 dirty words.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byBluesfa13 September 28, 2020

Adult Written byRhm_89 September 18, 2020

Most Excellent

I think this was a truly good sequel and the best of the Trilogy.

Parent Written byHeather K. September 11, 2020

A Fun Family Romp

Bill and Ted's motivations in this film is "to be righteous to one another" -- saving their families, and the world. It's refreshing to have a film where all the main protagonist characters are unapologetically kind, good natured, and friendly if a little goofy. It's also good to see that there's more active female protagonists in the film than in the last two films as well. There is a little bit of swearing, but it's more "slipped in" than a highlighted moment where kids will notice it a lot. I don't think it's an amazing film, but one that kids, teens, and adults can all watch happily together and that's great.

Adult Written byKilroy99 September 4, 2020

Much better than expected ending to an iconic franchise

OK, Iconic to me. So many callbacks and great homage paid to the first two films.
As far as the rating, I don't think people understand that some films WANT a PG-13 rating, because, ironically, it's harder to get youth to go to a PG movie.
Adult Written bymorghanmcnair September 2, 2020

Parent of a 7-year-old Written bymbyers August 31, 2020

Family friendly musical time traveling comedy adventure

It's tamer than both previous films, no idea why it is PG-13. It should be PG.

Parent Written byAaron C. August 29, 2020

Goofy, Hilarious & Light hearted Sci-fi Comedy works!

Bill & Ted series has always been Innovative, yet Hilarious & goofy. It's also light hearted without any change in tone & without any intense moments.