Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Bird Box

Violent sci-fi thriller has chaos, gory deaths, swearing.

Adult Written bylogansvn December 24, 2018

Super graphic, but great movie!

Really entertaining, but not that scary, just very thrilling! The movie is gory throughout and you see it up close and personal. There is a sex scene for literally two seconds and you barely see anything, so in that aspect of the movie, it is not too bad. Movie over all was fantastic and you're at the edge of your seat for almost the whole movie.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byF. P. December 30, 2018

One Very Short Sex Scene around 35:00 mark

Not really scary as much creepy. As noted there is gore, language and one 2 second sex scene around the 35:00 mark.
Adult Written byMM99 December 25, 2018

Not appropriate for young kids

Bird Box is a very violent, gory movie with graphic depictions of suicide throughout the movie. This is the main reason why I think it’s for kids 18 and up. Depictions of suicide could trigger suicidal ideation and thoughts in teens/adults. I’m a grown adult and had a difficult time watching some scenes.

Adult Written bySamantha Brown December 27, 2018

good movie

not much sex. short scene where two people are seen naked (nothing is shown) a lot of violence. multiple suicides are shown (because it’s the plot of the movie) not scary but will keep you on edge. there is violence
Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byDylan1226 January 3, 2019

Not for kids on any level...

My 12-year-old came home from school yesterday after the Christmas Break and said that everybody at school was talking about this movie and how great it was. I watched it last night and while it's not a terrible film, it's nothing we should be showing our children of any age. My sons are 12 and 11 and I don't have a problem showing them R-rated movies. I like films where they show people acting as heroes and they've seen Predator, Terminator 2, Die Hard etc... The plot of Bird Box is that people see something horrific and then immediately commit suicide. There are countless scenes of people walking in front of cars, hanging themselves, shooting themselves, slitting their own throats and wrists... It's horrifying. The cast is good, most notably Sandra Bullock and John Malkovich and I get why people want to see it, especially since we can watch for free on Netflix. But nothing good comes out of seeing this movie. It's bleak, it's dark, it's ridiculously violent. I would not say that it glorifies suicide, but it portrays it in a way that I would not be comfortable showing kids of any age. My kids certainly will not be watching this movie ever.

Adult Written bykkboobaby December 31, 2018
Adult Written bysakura1441 December 26, 2018

Very good

Loved it. No, you dont get to know what caused this or what it really is, but the story was gripping and I absoultely loved it. The suspense keeps you wanting more and it ends sweetly and with NO CLIFFHANGERS! I was a little worried after seeing some of the negative rating and revews, but I think those people are too harsh and too critical on the tiny things.This was a GREAT movie and I recommend it to anyone. :)
Adult Written bysuperdupersoy December 27, 2018

very god but not appropiate for young children

this is a good family movie with good role models for teens and up! it has minimal drinking and sex but some bad language

Adult Written byBeautyBelle227 B. January 1, 2019

(spoilers )

Ok I just got finished watching this movie and well...It actually wasn’t surprisingly that bad? I think kids 12 and older can watch this ! The trailers make it look way more worse than it is... (SPOILER) The only gruesome part I hate a hard time looking at is when the One mentally insane guy forced the poor grandmas eyes open to look at the monster/Demon, And then at that moment he forced her to stab herself with a pair of scissors??!!

Adult Written byCheech27 December 29, 2018

Didn’t explain anything

It starts out pretty good and has great parts but doesn’t ever get around to explain what happened or have a satisfying resolution. Also, it has one naked sex scene which is brief and swears frequently which didn’t add anything to the movie. I wanted to like it more than I did. Definitely not a movie for children.

Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bysportcombi January 9, 2019

Watch it only if you don't want to feel missing out

I'm a father of two middle school boys and we love watching movies with them. Occasionally, I would pre-watch a questionable popular movie before introducing it to the boys. Bird Box was one of them. My conclusion: if you don't want to feel left out by your coworkers during lunch or relatives on social network, then go ahead and watch it without the kids. However, I would not recommend it as a family movie experience, especially with children under 16. For a family movie, I'm looking for something that's entertaining or inspiring or both. I also look forward to the intelligent discussion with the boys afterwards. Unfortunately, Bird Box does not fit my bill. I'll use + for positives and - for disappointments. + Sandra delivered descent performance + The everyday items (blindfold, windows, grocery stores) helped audience to connect to the story + The opening disaster scene was impressive. - The plot had quite many logic holes. These flaws won't make the after-movie discussion interesting - The two children cast members were not acting at all - I don't see enough depth in what messages my boys can take away from the movie. - I don't see sufficiently entertaining cinematography (such as that in Aquaman) - The music was ok, but not as memorable as in Interstellar or La La Land. Since I expect treats of the eyes, the ears, the heart, or the mind, I didn't feel that I got much from Bird Box. If you are only looking for the tweeting right, you won't be disappointed. According to Netflix data and Wall Street Journal, although 1 out of 3 accounts watched more than 70% of the movie, roughly half of the social postings were neutral, with the remainder split between slightly lower positive and slightly higher negative. After all, the popularity of the movie was mainly attributed to the 12/21 pre-holiday timing, the social media buzz of memes, and the reputation of Sandra Bullock.
Adult Written bysalmsmith January 1, 2019

GOOD BUT GRAPHIC!!!

Could be scary for any children below 13, but any mature child can handle it although there are multiple deaths which could cause upset to someone.

Adult Written by1craig4u January 1, 2019

Bird Box

Between 1 to 5 rating, in my opinion a 3 is fair. Opening story line was well done;; an unknown doomsday scenario. Social climate; interracial relationship developed under the circumstances. You got to team up to survive, this only makes good since. Boy, Girl Characters was a bit cold and detached; Sandra seemed well into roll but show a willingness to sacrifice her life for their safety. To wrap your hands around this one, make such there's nothing else to do. I watch it 3:00AM when insomnia had the best of me.
Adult Written byNeeve December 31, 2018

Amazing

Really good I think it’s fit for 12 or 13 and up

Adult Written byScvsop January 2, 2019

Great movie

I think the biggest factor for age appropriateness has to do with a parent knowing their kid. If you have a mature 12 year old who knows not to use foul language and knows it’s a suspense/thriller that could get a little scary, then you’re ok. The biggest factor for us allowing our 12 yo watch was that since it’s on Netflix, if we didn’t watch it with her, she would have access to it anyway. So we figured, at least this way, we watched it with her. The worst part to us was the language. The second worst part was some of the bloodshed. The next worse part was the supspense and finally, the real quick love scene that lasts a whole second. Overall, it was good and we were still talking about it the next day.

Adult Written byWolfqueen1821 February 14, 2019

17-18+(conservatives)

I am an adult with two kids that does not like seeing nudity or sex in any movie. I think it's unnecessary and I'm old-fashioned,so for those who don't care watch this. But for any people who Grimace at seeing too much skin this is not for you unless you skip a full-on sex scene where both are completely naked.I read there is more so I'm not even finishing film.

Adult Written bySmiths617 December 31, 2018

Not great

Very small amount of sex scenes... good amount of violence and cursing . Not super scary just suspenseful at times. Overall I didn’t care for the movie because it never explains what exactly is going on. I would let my 11 year old watch this .

Adult Written bydrfamilia February 3, 2019

My Heart Raced the ENTIRE Movie!

This is a movie that keeps your attention. I don’t recommend it for younger than 18 years old because of the sex scene (it showed enough!) and the gore (lots of blood). I do not want to plant any of these seeds into my children’s mind - actually, NO CHILD’s mind! Your kids will be so much better off if you do not let them see it (pun not intended).

Adult Written byyasssss_queen January 2, 2019

Adult Written byGymnastics_1130 January 3, 2019

well im watching it right now and it is really good and i think if u like being scared this is your movie