Kid reviews for Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

Violent and profane, but themes of teamwork, friendship.

Teen, 14 years old Written byConkltay1 February 6, 2020

Fantastic And Fabulous Movie!

This movie is an amazing movie not to spoil anything MAJOR, it starts off with Harley breaking up with joker and then her life after that this movie continues to use joker in what Harley does and through others talking about him there is very little sex related stuff a bra is revealed but nothing more and this movie can be VERY violent at some points and brutal but I think teens 14+ can handle it and it is the best movie in the dceu and definitely worth seeing!

Kid, 12 years old February 6, 2020

Harley Quinn leads a violent/brutal movie but is excellent for teens/adults!

Yes. This movie has lots of violence,blood,guns,shooting,shootouts, and some drugs and drinking. Not much nudity as you would expect but some brief nudity is shown during a club scene. But this movie is one of the best and funniest supervillain spinoffs I have ever seen. It also talks about teamwork between a group of girls. Excellent film!

Teen, 15 years old Written byMarvelGeek5321 January 29, 2020

Boring comic book film.

This film wasn't very good, but it was slightly entertaining. The film's most 'adult' aspect is its violence, but also note that there's profanity in the film as well.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAbby B. February 26, 2020

Better than I expected

At first, I thought this would be a terrible movie, like Suicide Squad, so my friends and I went to see it and make fun it. I actually ended up enjoying it. The acting was amazing and it was pretty funny. There was some violence, but I don’t think it should have been rated R.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAn Uncultured Child February 25, 2020

Teen, 13 years old Written bydoopdidoopdido February 22, 2020

Should have been rated PG-13

This movie is really good. But here is the stuff you should worry about for your kids seeing this:

SEX: Harley pulls off a girls shirt because the girl was stuck on something, then makes a comment about how good her bo*bs are. In some scenes, a guy is in his house but there a girls without bras on, on the walls but it’s not that bad, because it’s drawn. And when Harley gets drunk a guy takes her outside and try’s to have s*x with her, but Black canary saves her, before anything major can happen.

LANGUAGE: Every scene contains the F word. But it’s not that bad because it’s rated R, what do you expect ? There is a song called, “Boss B*tch” in it. Contains the B word a few times. Also, Renea in one scene, was wearing a shirt that said “I shaved my balls for this?”. And I think there is like the A word and S word in it too. But that’s about all.

Drinking, Drugs, and Smoking: Hardly any: But, Harley gets drunk a lot at the club. And one scene implies that Harley is sniffing crack. But it’s from the dust from the gunshots.

Consumerism: None.

Teen, 17 years old Written bylizardhours February 21, 2020

a rare good movie from the DCEU

funny, action-packed, and absolutely fantabulous as the title says

Teen, 16 years old Written byAngspartans February 21, 2020

underrated

This movie was an empowering women’s movie, with comedy and action throughout the whole movie. Though the box office amount wasn’t as much as expected, I highly suggest watching this movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygorilla man February 18, 2020

Great movie but some parts not suitable for kids

This is a great movie with a lot of violence and language. Some of the violence includes punching and kicking with wet blood and shooters killing childrens families. In one scene a mans face is cut off but it is not shown for that long. At the end of the scene you can see the one of the characters holding up the mans cut off face. Language includes over 70 uses of F**k and a lot of S**t. In one scene harley exclaims ow my T*t. Harley bats her own bag of cocaine with a baseball bat as the dust of the drug makes people around it dizzy. Harley gets drunk in multiple scenes as well as taking 3-4 shots in a row. A man dares a women to take her dress off at a night club and very briefly you can see her bra. Overall this movie focuses on female power and how if people work together sometimes the impossible can come. This movie is a mild R and I think mature 13 year olds can handle it

Teen, 17 years old Written byWasabi February 17, 2020

Best no cussing

A very family friendly movie a great movie for kids and adults I highly recomend

Teen, 16 years old Written byRhinoGamerHD February 16, 2020

Great and Fantabulous

Amazing film. Loved it. The story was great, action scenes were brutally funny and absolutely hilarious. Best DCEU film.

Teen, 15 years old Written byJoel_5762 February 15, 2020

Should've been called 'Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey'

Birds of Prey (And the super long name I won't bother with) is an extremely fun, violent and crazy adventure ride that is another great DC film. A small disclaimer, I think that the film was more centred on Harley than the other girls and therefore should've been called 'Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey' so that's what I will refer to it as.

Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn is portrayed perfectly. She brings the weird, wack and crazy to this role and ultimately brings her all. This film does a nice job of giving Harley a character arc of becoming her own upon her split from the Joker. Robbie's performance is faultless and an extremely fun titular character. As much as I praise her performance, her character isn't really the best role model for young kids though as she is violent, a heavy drinker, and a criminal.

Furthermore, Jurnee Smollett-Bell's 'Black Canary' is another powerful and stunning character in the film. Her character is a little more of a role model as she does end up being a hero and does have good motives unlike Harley who reverts to villainy by the end. Helena/Huntress and Renee Montoya are both really cool characters but for me didn't hit the mark as Huntress didn't enough screen time and Renee wasn't really that interesting but I still was able to feel sympathy for her character.

Ewan McGregor's Black Mask is flashy, temperamental, violent and extremely mentally unstable. In terms of the villain scale. He is up there as one of my favourites for the DCEU. Roman is menacing and Ewan does amazing job. However, Cassandra Cain for me was just annoying and I struggled to feel empathetic except for some small moments.

The film does have great messages of teamwork, friendship, doing what is right and definitely shows women empowerment. Harley Quinn's narrative style is bonkers and definitely shouldn't work.....except it mostly does and in saying that, the plot of the film is pretty enjoyable. Finally, the humour is on point!

On the other hand, there are definitely some gripes I have with the film. There is too much unnecessary swearing. At some points it definitely suits the moment (like comedic moments) but at other times, is super unrealistic and just not needed. Additionally, the violence is extreme with plenty of blood, broken bones and deaths. This didn't bother me but will for younger teens. Finally, with a title that promises 'Birds of Prey' we got Harley Quinn for 2/3 of the movie, I just wish they included more of the other members because they are so awesome and when they all worked together, that was when I most enjoyed the film, finally giving me what the title promised.

In conclusion, Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey is an extremely weird, violent but still fun adventure ride that promises more awesome movies down the track. I would recommend this film for 15 and up.
Great job director Cathy Yan!

Teen, 15 years old Written bymbb27 February 15, 2020

Fabulous Fun

This movie was a blast! Endless fun, lots of f-bombs, lots of violence, but no excessive blood. Better than most DCU films: witty humor, and great writing. (and this is coming from a marvel fan so you know it’s true!)

Teen, 17 years old Written byHydroPlaysXband... February 14, 2020

I have an odd opinion, but I love this film! Language, violence, some sexual themes.

This film is getting fairly inconsistent reviews. Some say it's bad, said me say it good. But many can agree on one thing, the film is Deadpool's comedy, John Wick's action, and a dash of Tarantino. I love this film, I'm (almost) it's target audience. I have a tie between Logan and this film for my favorite superhero/comic book film, for their own reasons.
Violence: Fairly constant, and pretty bloody. There are some rape overtones. Shooting with spurts of blood. One character shoots people with arrows, and watches them bleed out. Much punching, and wacking with blunt, and some sharp items. Some blood. Teeth are lost, with spurts of blood. Quite a bit of mayhem. A family is slaughtered. The only time gore is particularly present is when a character is blown up with a grenade, with some limbs, and blood everywhere. However, on one other occasion a dog is seen mailing a characters dismembered limb. Not overly graphic though.
Language: Around 80 F bombs, and many uses of other profanities in dialouge, text, and soundtrack.
Sex: Some background images include sexual imagery, nude sculptures, etc. Nothing you won't see in an art museum. Rape overtones. Many references to breasts, genitals, and sex. Characters sometimes dance immodestly.
Consumption: A character is seen beside a stack of narcotics (not on purpose), and takes a whiff. She then hits them into a characters face. Many characters drink, sometimes to the point of vomiting, and drunkeness.
Extra: Role models are subjective. Also many instances of potty humor and mayhem. Stuff like that.

Teen, 15 years old Written byJake234456 February 12, 2020
It’s a good movie I think 15+ is fine
Teen, 14 years old Written byalwaysreviews February 11, 2020

Best DCEU movie yet?

Okay so. This movie is actually the first movie I’ve seen released this year and it’s honestly a really positive start to my year. Why did I love this movie as much as I did? Strangely I think it’s my favourite dceu movie thus far, surpassing both wonder woman and shazam, which is odd considering all the negative buzz I heard about it. Margot Robbie acts the hell out of Harley Quinn and turns her, from a character I was vaguely interested in, into by far my favourite character in the DCEU. The direction was unique, distinguishable and filled with gorgeous colours and some of the shots... God, there’s this scene in a police station that’s breathtaking, hilarious and most importantly beautiful. I loved all the characters especially because they felt like people, with each having their own very distinct personality with someone for everyone. As a villain, Ewan McGregor was great although his character wasn’t very developed… at all. Also, the soundtrack works perfectly, complimenting the great action sequences with some genuine bops. Bop? (birds of prey…)

Unsurprisingly, my largest issue with the film isn’t actually the movie itself, it’s everything else. None of the characters in birds of prey are anything like their comic book counterparts, especially in terms of appearance. Whilst I know that this bugged a lot of fans I still deeply enjoyed what I got, maybe because I left all my previous knowledge and preconceptions on the characters at the door. Another massive problem was the target demographic. Who the hell was this movie for? It’s clearly a ‘girl power’ movie, so I guess it’s targeting females. Since the characters aren’t comic accurate I doubt it was targeting comic book fans… but that doesn’t make sense because the ‘birds of prey’ aren’t a popular brand at all. The childish nature of Harley Quinn would’ve done great with a younger audience and yet it’s r rated? The r rating isn’t even utilized either, the violence is mild and it’s mainly just swearing and mature content. It’s no Deadpool, it’s no Logan and it’s certainly no joker. Undoubtedly birds of prey is a crazy, fun and enjoyable film that did to crime/gang films what joker did to character studies, wonder woman did to war films and logan did to westerns.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovie buff197 February 10, 2020

AMAZING

This movie is amazing, the story is great, the jokes are hilarious. Great movie. A good amount of violence like shot arrow to neck, bleeding, face gets cut off ( not graphic ) and gunshots to face with some blood splatter. It’s a great role model message that women can team up and kick butt. There is not a lot of inappropriate stuff, one joke that is quick and you ignored. There’s some drinking with shots quickly being drinker one at a time. Gunshots break out some Co Cain and Harley sniffs it. So it’s not super bad, a good amount of f bombs, s words, a**, so I think it’s okay for 12 - 13 years old.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySilkiechicken63 February 8, 2020

I LOVE HARLEY QUINN

The movie was amazing! It was funny and lightened the movie through the violence. There was one scene where a family’s faces were cut off, but it was more disturbing in the idea than the actual displayed gore. There was a lot of profanity.....but I hear worse at school and anyway, what else would you expect from a bunch of vigilantes?!? Awesome movie, PLEASE WATCH IT!!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byMinor427 February 8, 2020
Great movie ! I don't think it should have an R rating. If you have seen Once Upon a Deadpool it is not much worse than that.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymurdermystery February 7, 2020

Violent Action

BIRDS OF PREY is a great movie about Harley Quinn after splitting with the joker. This film contains drinking and lots of profanity. Parents will mainly need to know about the violence. There's plenty of action and gore.