Parent reviews for Black Hawk Down

Excellent but very violent depiction of a risky rescue.

Wondering if Black Hawk Down is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byD-Fresh August 26, 2010

Quite possibly the best war movie ever made

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
- Winston Churchill.

Watch this movie and be thankful for those willing to put their life on the line for our freedom.

This movie avoids dealing with the number of Somalis who die? I quote from the text that appears at the end of the movie: "1000 Somalis died and 19 Americans lost their lives in the conflict"

The superb acting, amazing special effects, and true story combine to make one the greatest movies ever made.

Adult Written bylangston w. October 8, 2020

Amazing War Movie Has Violent Scenes

Black Hawk Down is an amazing true story. The writing, directing, and acting are all top notch. The other good news is that, for a war movie, the content in Black Hawk Down is pretty consistent. There are around 20 uses of the f-word, which is less than you’ll hear in half an hour at high school. The violence does include the following, but keep in mind that the context of this being a war movie is key for all of these instances: a man is disintegrated by a rocket, a man is blown in half showing visible intestines (very briefly), a soldier is shot in the head showing a bloody wound (also brief), a man is impaled by an rpg, a man has his thumb blown off in bloody fashion, a soldier has his femoral artery operated on in a scene that shows plenty of very gross arterial blood spray, a solider find a severed hand in the rubble of a crashed helicopter and keeps it in hopes of finding the man who lost it, a man has his arm blown off, a man is shot in the neck showing blood, and there are lots of casualties by use of firearms. There isn’t usually much blood when people are shot, though. Though the movie does have these scenes of at times disturbing violence, the message is undeniably that war is ugly, and that these soldiers are brave, selfless men that fought proudly for their country, even with the forces of evil stacked against them. It can’t be stated enough that once again, even though this film contains some foul language, and, at times bloody violence, the inspiring themes and important messages about selflessness, bravery, and honor trump anything else you might consider objectionable, though it is reasonable to wait until mid-teens to watch this movie. Because of these messages, I can not in good faith mark this movie for too much violence or language, and I highly recommend it to any man or women who is curious about just how far the human will can extend when the safety of their friends and family is at risk.

Adult Written bySamLucas March 8, 2020

One of my favorite war films!

Lots of violence but AMAZING movie. Not much gore aside from one scene. Truly great movie.

Adult Written byTikaaniMoon May 16, 2019

Interesting Movie

It's an interesting movie to look back on a historical event. I just wish it wasn't so much swearing like every 5 seconds. I think it is a good war film though.

Written byAnonymous November 21, 2018

The butt review

Great War movie. There is a little rude language and a lot of action. This is a very educational entertaining action war movie for older audience
Adult Written byjmo97 August 18, 2016

One brutal, and long, war movie

This movie is about an American invasion-turned-rescue mission in Somalia gone wrong. Anyone who might be interested in the film should know that this is absolutely not for the faint of heart. After a good half-hour or so of introducing characters and Somalia's situation at the time, the movie becomes ruthless with the war violence portrayed: there are multiple shootings (including of unarmed civilians, and some involve children fighting), gruesome injury images (including one of a man who's blown in half with his intestines exposed), a wince-inducing medical procedure, and I'm probably forgetting more. There is a moderate amount of foul language (including f-words). While I think the movie could have been better with character development, I respect its intentions of portraying war as realistic and horrifying as it is, and I liked many of the soldiers in the film who were willing to make sure all of their comrades were out of their adversaries' reaches. 6.5/10

Adult Written byThe Main Reviewer July 1, 2014

Very violent

This movie was amazing, however there is nonstop gory violence, and strongly upsetting scenes for even adults, there are some guts, however a mature 14 year old could handle most of the violence.

Adult Written byleonard p. March 21, 2014

Great Movie

This is a great movie but it is also very graphic in its portrayal of what happened in the war.

Parent of a 14-year-old Written bysupermonkeyrobot April 18, 2011

mexicans?

s**t this movie is awesome exetremley violent and gory but entertaining good message

Parent of a 11 and 13-year-old Written byBret Friend January 22, 2011

Have to consider who is watching it.

Really good movie, but very violent.

Parent of a 7 and 14-year-old Written bytheorivas November 1, 2010

The movie deserves a 5. Good for mature 14's.

Lousy review. POSITIVE message: give your life for others. That's a FIVE. Why dilute the message of selfless heroism with every political/historical angle? Your criteria of having to deal with all aspects of a subject is arbitrary and unjustified. Lousy review. I give the review 1/2 star.

Adult Written byFiggy66 July 26, 2010

Ok for 14 plus

Tied with the hurt locker for my favorite movie gory as heck though so much dismemberment and and stuff like that.

Parent of a 10, 10, 16, 17, and 18+-year-old Written bytheguy July 24, 2010

Amazing movie BRUTAL EXTREM VIOLENCE

this movie was very good it shows how brutal war really is but it VERY VERY GRAPHIC. For instance a man gets hit by an RPG and is literally blown in half and his guts are all over the place like they are spilled every where. there are alot of F bombs too.
dont show this film to any kids that are not mature enough too watch this film.

Adult Written bygamenerd323 November 3, 2009

Adults only, but the movie is great.

Amazing but extremely brutal war film. A true classic for adults only.

Adult Written byHooahArmyGuard October 29, 2009

Hooah, support our troops

I love this movie. Im 17, I plan to join the Army National Guard. Is war not hell? Soldiers give up their civil rights so you can have yours. There is no good way to get out of Iraqistan anyway. This was a war movie, of course it is graphic, but it isn't brutal stupid like the "Saw" movies. If you are okay with the full bloodiness of war, this is an excellent movie, personally my favorite.

Adult Written byEvanReviews August 14, 2009

Perfect Emotioanal Action Packed Movie for teens and adults

Great historic battle that unfortunetly we lost. Movie is amazing. Only thing parents should watch out for is its graphic violence (including a graphic surgery scene) and moderate language. 5/5 :)

Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14-year-old Written bythejokerspencil January 10, 2009

Epic War Film is The Years Saving Private Ryan without Ryan.

One wrod the best war flick ever made but very long.
Adult Written byquest13 April 9, 2008

good

great no question about it!
Adult Written bytrojan51 April 9, 2008