All parent member reviews for Blackfish

Parent of a 17 year old Written bycmharrington February 22, 2014

Talk with your teen about the power of the media!

This film completely changed my perception of orcas in captivity. While it is important to note that the film IS propaganda, the question of validity remains. The film presents an excellent opportunity to teach our kids to think for themselves, and not to be manipulated by the media. It's a great conversation starter for tweens and teens, in which parents can encourage them to question information presented to them as factual. Just because it's a "documentary", doesn't necessarily make it true. Parents and kids can easily research both sides of the story (Sea World's response is on their website, as well as a follow-up on www.blackfishmovie.com) and come to their own conclusions. I, personally, am deeply saddened by the false impressions I previously held of happy, healthy orcas in captivity. The evidence presented in Blackfish is undeniable, from their collapsed dorsal fins to their scarred-up skin. Decide for yourselves!
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 July 27, 2014

A tragedy of whales and human corruption

While SeaWorld does indeed deny the facts that "Blackfish" presents, it is likely they're trying to save their tails from going out of business, as I would like them to after seeing this film, completely snubbed from last year's Oscars. Tilikum is the main focus of the movie, a whale put in captivity whose frustration builds and builds, and he is truly a killer whale, by no fault of Dawn the trainer he mutilated. But is it Tilly's fault? Being trapped in a cement cage would prove trying for anyone, including a whale. How sad it is to see SeaWorld try to wash away their mistakes, but I'm glad to see this film reveal them for what they really are. Show this to your teens!!!!