Parent of a 17 year old Written bycmharrington February 22, 2014

Talk with your teen about the power of the media!

This film completely changed my perception of orcas in captivity. While it is important to note that the film IS propaganda, the question of validity remains. The film presents an excellent opportunity to teach our kids to think for themselves, and not to be manipulated by the media. It's a great conversation starter for tweens and teens, in which parents can encourage them to question information presented to them as factual. Just because it's a "documentary", doesn't necessarily make it true. Parents and kids can easily research both sides of the story (Sea World's response is on their website, as well as a follow-up on www.blackfishmovie.com) and come to their own conclusions. I, personally, am deeply saddened by the false impressions I previously held of happy, healthy orcas in captivity. The evidence presented in Blackfish is undeniable, from their collapsed dorsal fins to their scarred-up skin. Decide for yourselves!
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 July 27, 2014

A tragedy of whales and human corruption

While SeaWorld does indeed deny the facts that "Blackfish" presents, it is likely they're trying to save their tails from going out of business, as I would like them to after seeing this film, completely snubbed from last year's Oscars. Tilikum is the main focus of the movie, a whale put in captivity whose frustration builds and builds, and he is truly a killer whale, by no fault of Dawn the trainer he mutilated. But is it Tilly's fault? Being trapped in a cement cage would prove trying for anyone, including a whale. How sad it is to see SeaWorld try to wash away their mistakes, but I'm glad to see this film reveal them for what they really are. Show this to your teens!!!!
Adult Written byjmo97 June 20, 2016

Sad and disturbing, but great for starting conversations

This movie is one passionate argument against the use of orca whales for theme parks. I thought it was very engaging, but it is sometimes intense to watch. I think it is interesting that the filmmakers and interviewees in "Blackfish" are calling the people at SeaWorld liars, but the people at SeaWorld who created their defense response (available online) call the filmmakers manipulative. With this in mind it would be great if parents went through both arguments with their mature teens to help them decide what they think about the situation with the orcas in captivity. The movie features frightening footage of orcas attacking trainers with some bloody injury images. This might be too much for some sensitive teens, but I would definitely give it a recommendation to at least be aware of this topic, as the filmmakers show genuine concern for the health of the orcas (and SeaWorld also insists that they are improving the conditions for the mammals). 7.4/10
Educator Written bymaddox121 September 14, 2015

I watched it cuz its seaworld

SEAworld steals whales