Parent reviews for Blackfish

Blackfish Poster Image

Sea Sux

Wow...a film that is painful, bleak and damning to humanity. To treat these beautifully intelligent creatures with so much cruelty is beyond reprehensible. It is difficult to feel badly for Sea World. And it is heart wrenching to hear about all of the deaths and injuries that the capture, training, and imposed performance of these whales has inflicted on young trainers that were following Sea World protocol.

Awful misleading and a burning garbage pile

This movie is misleading and awful. Instead of focusing on moving forward with it’s arguement it decides to attack the character of SeaWorld. It constantly tries to pull the audience away from the cold hard facts by using sentimental appeal. It presents false statistics, a one faced argument, and faulty science. Psychosis in whales is an unproven theory per pirated by animal rights groups. They present no facts and clouded information. No proven theory’s, as well as using a woman’s tragic death to their advantage. It presents only its own viewpoint and falls back upon sentinmental to keep the watchers in their side. They present to us only former trainers and no such scientific scholars and even much less scientific evidence. It is a poorly written and executed story, with nothing other than sentimental appeal to back it up.

Sad and disturbing, but great for starting conversations

This movie is one passionate argument against the use of orca whales for theme parks. I thought it was very engaging, but it is sometimes intense to watch. I think it is interesting that the filmmakers and interviewees in "Blackfish" are calling the people at SeaWorld liars, but the people at SeaWorld who created their defense response (available online) call the filmmakers manipulative. With this in mind it would be great if parents went through both arguments with their mature teens to help them decide what they think about the situation with the orcas in captivity. The movie features frightening footage of orcas attacking trainers with some bloody injury images. This might be too much for some sensitive teens, but I would definitely give it a recommendation to at least be aware of this topic, as the filmmakers show genuine concern for the health of the orcas (and SeaWorld also insists that they are improving the conditions for the mammals). 7.4/10

I watched it cuz its seaworld

SEAworld steals whales

A tragedy of whales and human corruption

While SeaWorld does indeed deny the facts that "Blackfish" presents, it is likely they're trying to save their tails from going out of business, as I would like them to after seeing this film, completely snubbed from last year's Oscars. Tilikum is the main focus of the movie, a whale put in captivity whose frustration builds and builds, and he is truly a killer whale, by no fault of Dawn the trainer he mutilated. But is it Tilly's fault? Being trapped in a cement cage would prove trying for anyone, including a whale. How sad it is to see SeaWorld try to wash away their mistakes, but I'm glad to see this film reveal them for what they really are. Show this to your teens!!!!

Talk with your teen about the power of the media!

This film completely changed my perception of orcas in captivity. While it is important to note that the film IS propaganda, the question of validity remains. The film presents an excellent opportunity to teach our kids to think for themselves, and not to be manipulated by the media. It's a great conversation starter for tweens and teens, in which parents can encourage them to question information presented to them as factual. Just because it's a "documentary", doesn't necessarily make it true. Parents and kids can easily research both sides of the story (Sea World's response is on their website, as well as a follow-up on www.blackfishmovie.com) and come to their own conclusions. I, personally, am deeply saddened by the false impressions I previously held of happy, healthy orcas in captivity. The evidence presented in Blackfish is undeniable, from their collapsed dorsal fins to their scarred-up skin. Decide for yourselves!