Parent reviews for Blade Runner 2049

Mature sci-fi sequel is almost as good as the original.

Parent of a 12, 14, and 17 year old Written byAmy F. October 8, 2017

needlessly undermining for girls

Having loved the original my family walked out after watching a woman dumped naked out of a bag be caressed and then stabbed. Yes, in theory, a replicant. In reality - images that could have come from a slasher film. Happily both my 17 year old and 13 year old daughters thought it was stupid, weird and offensive but my 17 year old worried that she knew boys that would find it exciting even though the combination of domination fantasy and sexuality was troubling. One expects some upsetting imagery in a dystopian film but the degree here and the links between sex and domination went too far and are extremely unhealthy for adolescents.

Parent Written byArisbe October 21, 2017

Why do the kids "get it" while the parents don't?

I think I have posted once on CSM, but I feel to need to do so now. This is going to be long and critical—so get some popcorn and enjoy--but I think important for the CSM user community. Before getting to the point of the title in this review, let me say two things for clarification: (1) I am a concerned and conscientious parent in terms of my kid’s media “consumption.” CSM is my “go to” for discerning what I think my kids should and should not watch and what (limited) games they should and should not play. I’ve been using CSM for years and will continue to do so. Overall, it is an excellent resource. For example, my kids wanted to watch “Fuller House” on Netfilix which they list as “TV-G.” So I, without checking it first, said “OK.” Then I caught some of an episode and was appalled, went to CSM and found confirmation on what I thought was inappropriate for a supposed “G” rated show and made me disappointed with Netflix’s false advertising. I began looking for something else for them using CSM. Thus, I’m in 100% agreement with the 100% consensus from all reviewers that “Blade Runner 2049” (hereafter, BR2049) is suitable for years 16+. (2) I am also a film buff and watching and making sense of films and non-network TV shows is my principal hobby for my adult life. I value cinema and believe in it as an art form and for philosophical reflection so much that I want my kids to be cinematically literate. My goal is that my kids will watch every film on the AFI’s Top 100 by the time they are 18 and a good number of those films, esp. from the 70’s onward, e.g. “the Godfather,” “Raging Bull,” “Taxi Driver,” are for more mature teens, though even Hitchcock’s films require a more mature viewer despite their rather “PG-rated” content. The director of BR2049, French-Canadian Denis Villeneuve, ranks as one of the finest directors working today and is as good if not better in some ways than Scorsese and Coppola (I don’t think Spielberg ranks up there given his lack of “maturity,” but that’s a different post), and Ridley Scott, the director of the 1983 original “Blade Runner.” Why? Because Villeneuve’s vision in his small yet growing corpus of amazing films is far more optimistic (hopeful) and humanistic (and feminist) than the other post-1968 young turk male film makers who tend toward the darker, pessimistic, and despairing in terms of the human condition, which was a necessary backlash in cinema from the often pollyannaish, character of much popular American cinema before. I could say a great deal more about the virtues of Villeneuve’s work—beyond his technical brilliance--but what I would write has already been said elsewhere by film critics better than I. But to cut to the chase, BR2049 is one of the finest, if not the finest, films of the year. It is a masterpiece cinematically and ultimately about the transforming power of self-sacrificial love in the face of totalizing insignificance (sound like the most historically well-known, beloved, and worshipped person we know?). I predict it will get at least 9 Academy Award nominations and win a lion’s share of them. It is also a beautiful cinematic counterpoint to Scott’s original; it neither recycles nor rejects BR but rather complements and completes it. It is superior to BR in that regard—which all of the adult reviews totally miss. OK, to the rhetorical question in the title of this review. After seeing the film twice now (beside seeing the original BR 10x or so) and reading the 16 combined reviews by the parents and the kids, as well as CSM’s own (note: the video reviewer errs in calling replicants—a term missing from the review—“genetically modified humans.”), I find it supremely *ironic* that the kids (14-17 year olds) have a more mature understanding and appreciation of the film than the adults do; the adult “knee-jerk” reviews seem completely “juvenile” in contrast. Why is that? Well, I could speculate—let it suffice that perhaps the film holds up a mirror to the world today we adult have created and benefit from so we adults don’t like to identified as responsible--but I let others do that (plus, why makes this any lengthier). I just want to point this irony out and let the adult posters and adult readers to struggle with that. Plus, I want to give some props to the really thoughtful and smart kids out there; it gives me hope, which is ultimately about what BR2049 is about, if you take the time to understand it first before judging it. Thanks for hanging in there and apologies if any adult takes offense at my critique. But I think it was important to identify this issue for the greater good of the CSM community. P.S. Note I check every category, except "too much consumerism," Maybe that is why we adults take umbrage?

Adult Written bymharter October 8, 2017

Overly long tribute to a cult sci fi classic. Not at all for children

The directors did an excellent job recreating the atmosphere and tone of the original, but the pacing, the ambiguous plotline, and the occasional brutal violence, stabbing, fighting etc. is not appropriate for children. There is also a high amount of nudity and sexual innendo in the story. I can't imagine any parent taking their children to see this movie. It is one of the slowest paced movies I have ever seen. Many ong drawn out scenes of characters trodding slowly through barren landscapes for 20 minutes is common. Atmosphere and tone over story, plot, drive, resolution. The exact opposite of any Star Wars movie. Although,from an adult perspective there is a visually impressive movie here. Your milage may vary, but leave the kids at home.

Adult Written byAmy R. October 22, 2017

Despicable

I had hoped that in light of the progress our country is making towards female rights and a focus on overcoming sexual assault that this would be reflected in our movies in some empowering sort of way. I went to see this movie with my sister and while we are both adult women between 28-30, we have values and boundaries of what we will accept as "entertainment". The movie was confusing and had a dark, ominous tone. The use of a robot as the main character's girlfriend was disturbing as it sent a message that this man simply wanted a perfect female to cater to his every whim and therefore had an actual robot created to fulfill his fantasies. Disgusting. The point at which my sister and I decided that the creators of this film had reached an absolute low was when Jared Leto's character appeared to be inappropriately touching a naked (and very uncomfortable looking) woman who was trembling with fear, and then he stabbed her and killed the woman. First of all- if the creators of this film ever bother to read this- you should be ashamed. I was disgusted watching that garbage and it tells me that the directions and producers must hate women in some way, and it makes me wonder if they are violent sexual predators themselves- given the dark nature of powerful men in Hollywood, I would not be surprised. This film was an insult to women, an insult to men because it paints them as disgusting, disrespectful, animalistic violent monsters- and an insult to film entertainment. Not only would I strongly caution you not to see it, but I would like to see this movie banned from theaters on behalf of the fact that it seems to promote sexual violence which is exactly what we don't need right now.

Adult Written byKelli J. October 7, 2017

Boring and loud

Needless nude shots, regardless if so are hologram. It has about 30 minutes of content stretched over 2+ hours. All four of us napped or wanted to nap. The music was the main star, not that it was tremendous, but that it was so loud, it took center stage. By the time Harrison Ford joins the cast near the end, you could not care less. One person in front of us was on her phone shopping. Literal waste of time. One could enjoy watching it only if multitasking. Did I mention it was boring? Well acted, lots of apocalyptic scenery, some interesting characters that I would have enjoyed knowing better, but as one who has not seen the original Blade Runner, maybe some nostalgia was lost in me? If so, pity the didn't duo a better job. I rated this for 18+ because I wouldn't want too take my nephews to see the naked females. The scenes were not sexualized, but still gratuitous. Gosling plays quite an emotional range, I thought, though mostly stoic...largely because the film was too long (or have I already mentioned that?)

Parent Written bynicole s. October 8, 2017

Blade Runner 2049

This movie has lots of nudity and violence. Not suitable for children under 14. This was very long and slow paced that my son, 14 took out his phone often and checked his messages. And I felt very sleepy and yawning a lot. The special effects and imagery is wonderful. but it lacks excitement and the whole story is not convincing. The best thing about it is seeing Harrison Ford.
Adult Written byGilbert V. October 11, 2017

Boring afternoon

It's like "waiting for Godot" abstract art. You get depressed from it. An Becket and ionesco thing. Only the last minutes got my attention when Ford came in to the picture. score 3/10 not worth the money I have to pay.
Adult Written byPizza G. October 28, 2017

Visually incredible sequel with violence and nudity

Blade Runner 2049 is a fitting tribute to the original film--fantastic imagery, a sense of mystery and intrigue, and a plot that barely makes sense. You'll likely find yourself lost in the movie's cryptic plot twists and half-explained insinuations; but the look of the film alone is enough to keep your attention. The color, mood and angle of every shot is masterfully configured, and the environments are bursting with unforgettable sci-fi design work. I'd highly recommend this to anybody pursuing an artistic career involving science fiction (especially dystopian sci-fi) or anyone interested in cinema, in general. It might not be the best for kids / teens under the age of fourteen (primarily because of the sporadic blood--stabbings--and nudity--breasts). There's also some infrequent but strong language. If you think your kids can handle these moments then it's also important to take into consideration that it's a pretty slow movie. Otherwise, a cool flick.

Adult Written byEd G. January 16, 2018

Scared by the sight of a nipple? Maybe you should join the Amish

Yes, there's a bit of ass and a bit of boobs in it, but people who complain about too much nudity should get over themselves. The ones recommending this for 18+ are ridiculous; hopefully, by the time they're 18, your kids will see a lot more nudity than what's in this movie. At least if they're normal kids raised by normal parents, and not some prudes from the Middle Ages. /// There's quite a lot of stabbing and some shooting. There's blood. Overall, I'd say the amount of violence is average. The movie is quite fond of stabbing though. /// The plot is... good enough, let's say; I don't understand the people who were bored; it's not THAT bad, gee. The visuals are great. The music tries to emulate the one from the first Blade Runner; it kind of succeeds, and it kind of falls short. The movie was enjoyable overall. /// Also, kids wrote much more considerate and level-headed reviews than some of the parents. There's still hope.
Parent Written byMeghan R. December 10, 2017

Disappointed and Disturbed

My friend and I were in disbelief and disturbed by what we sat through. The movie was slow and made no sense what so ever!!!! The nudity was TOO much and the scene where a “creation” was dropped from the ceiling was disturbing!! She stood there naked and was confused and scared and after he was done touching her unwantedly and inappropriately he took a knife to her lower abdomen to prevent her from procreating and she was left there bleeding to death..... Disgusting! I’m 35 and I wouldn’t rate or suggest this movie to anyone!!

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byG E October 23, 2017

Poetry in Motion

My son and I loved this movie. We left feeling truly moved. There is a reason it is rated "R" however so if you bring any kids under 17 then that's on you.
Adult Written byHelen K. October 20, 2017

Biggest film disappointment for a long time.

This film is excruciatingly long, and basically the sexual fantasy of a seriously perverted person. Ryan Gosling - well if you fancy him it might be worth persevering but I don't think his acting was up to the part; it is marginally better than in La La land ( another less than mediocre film, in which the relationship between the man and woman is also pretty creepy). The music is overpowering , the plot pretty non existent and dear old Harrison whom I love just is obviously too old for what they had him doing. It was laughable in a piteous way. You'd get more fun from eating a tub of icecream. Ridley Scott you should be ashamed of this offering; you out Jacksoned Peter Jackson in spinning staw into a lead balloon.
Adult Written byCan K. October 31, 2017

Okay for teens and up

Some violence and mild sexual content and language in sci fi movie
Adult Written bys s October 17, 2017

Not quite there

This movie is a poor shadow of the originals quality. It is a film occasionally interrupted with a plot. The music is totally wrong for the film. To much of it is in the dark ( don't know what it is with Hollywood with so many dark movies). The first eternity of the movie seems to be dominated by people talking to each other or just walking around. I could have missed something here during my 15 minuet nap. In a world devoid of plants WHERE did the bees come from??? After running out of popcorn the movie was the next greatest disappointment of the day. Harrison Ford, although a good actor, was done no service by being in this movie.
Adult Written byT M January 21, 2018

Corrupted

This movie has great potential to be very interesting. -Unfortunately, this story is ruined and corrupted with profanity, nudity, sex and prostitution. This movie is highly inappropriate for any age and I do not recommend this movie for anyone.

Adult Written byMarcus O. January 24, 2018

Sex & Nudity Timestamps for Concerned Parents

For parents wanting to know if their children should watch this movie, know that the most "iffy" parts about Blade Runner 2049 are the multiple scenes of both male and female nudity. These scenes aren't crucial to the story in any way and can easily be skipped. For those wanting to know where and why, here's a list: 24:00 - 24:10 A deceased male is laying down on a table, frontal nudity is shown 32:58 - 33:17 Nude statues, with both male and female nudity, are seen in cases 38:22 - 42:44 A nude female replicant falls out of a bag, full frontal nudity is shown 44:18 - 44:30 Blurred sex in the background, no nudity is seen 1:30:00 - 1:30:40 A woman undresses, sex is implied, no nudity is shown 1:31:08 - 1:31:14 A woman gets out of bed, her breast is briefly shown 1:41:12 - 1:41:22 Two female statues with breasts are shown 2:17:10 - 2:18:08 Nude female hologram's breasts and buttocks are shown

Adult Written byMichael C. February 1, 2018

Fantastic Sci Fi film

Don't listen to some other reviews this film is great. The film is about humanity,machines and our relationship with machines. What makes us human? is the relationships we have and the thoughts we have genuine or fake? Check it out.

Adult Written byMike S. October 23, 2017

Over long and doesn't work as a story

Disappointed after all the hype about it being philosophical and stunning. Pace is too slow, K is not animated enough. Implausible coincidences and concepts make it unengaging. No surprises in it. Dreadful overuse of product placement that the filmmaker should be ashamed of.
Parent of a 17 and 18+ year old Written bynuenjins January 18, 2018

Drawn out and boring with tons of gratuitous nudity. Shameful.

Hollywood boasts womens rights while shamelessly exploiting them at the same time. There's SO MUCH nidity that nobody under 18 should be watching this, Or above 18 for that matter. i wasnever a fan of the original as I thought it was dull and drawn out. Half the movie is just the protagonist walking around and staring at people. I lost alot of respect for all actors involved. This was drab, drawn out in spades and horribly done in almost every way. A few decent concepts, but wasted on an otherwise lame duck movie. To parents, full nudity throughout.

Adult Written bythomas c. December 22, 2017

Old Blade runner just to good.

It is always hard to make part 2 for movies when the first is iconic. Aliens 2 I believe is an example of a rare successful part 2. Blade Runner 2049 creates the original back drop with the large advertising building screens and more humanized replicants, but does not create it's own uniqueness like the original. Mr Gostling plays a strong role. Unfortunately Gostling's role does not make up for the sub par story in the Blade Runner 2049. Bottom line the original is just to good, historic and my favorite cult movie. Save 2049 for cable, it is still enjoyable just not for $13-$17.00.