Kid reviews for Blade Runner 2049

Mature sci-fi sequel is almost as good as the original.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymr_cinephile October 4, 2017

A Worthy Successor to the Original

I really liked the first Blade Runner, and I was scared going into 2049, thinking that it would be just another generic Sci-Fi action film. But it wasn't at all. The cast is great firstly. Gosling does a great job, and Leto is not that bad either. Han Solo also does a great job. The cinematography is breathtaking, and I would be mad if it doesn't win the Oscar. But the film itself is super interesting. There are a bunch of surprises, and lots of revelations that may take an extra viewing to realize what's happening. The film also has a very dark tone, and the themes presented follow that tone well. One thing that people should know is that there isn't an insane amount of action. When the action is there, it's great, but the film spends more time building the story rather than injecting action scenes. But the film is very, very good. If you didn't like the first one or thought it was boring, there is 60% chance you won't like this. But I did. Just see it though. In terms of being inappropriate: If you or your child is not yet 13, 100% don't take them. The film has a couple bad words, and some bloody bits, but nothing terrible. But the sex is abundant and is pretty strong at some points. But any mature 15 year old or older can definitely handle this.

Teen, 16 years old Written byadude October 8, 2017

One of the best movies of the year

I wasn't exactly waiting for this movie with bated breath, as, I'd seen the original movie twice before and found it a pleasant but highly overrated waste of time. The trailers for this movie, however, convinced me to see it, and boy am I glad I did. I do not have a single complaint about the movie, everything from the cinematography to the acting was flawless. The characters were real and rich, the action was so brutal and intense there were several moments I audibly gasped in the theatre. The film is just as visually jaw dropping as you've heard, every shot is nothing less than gorgeous, the tension is masterfully crafted, and the music . . . I do not exaggerate when I say I wanted to buy this soundtrack before I'd heard ten notes, this is some of Hans Zimmer's best work. There's so much more I could praise, but most of it is spoilers and this is such a twisty movie the slightest spoiler could ruin the experience for you, so I'll get to the parental advice. The language is surprisingly light, but the film more than makes up for that in blood, mature themes, and nudity. This is one of the harder R films I've seen, and if you're a parent who's normally fine with letting their kids watch R films you should still watch this one before them. In summary, Blade Runner 2049 is nonstop quality all across the board that is well worth the watch and thanks to stellar acting, incredible action, and stunning special effects it more than needs to be seen on the big screen, it deserves to be seen there.

Teen, 14 years old Written byLink2359 November 13, 2017

Don't listen to all of the comments!

I read some of the other reviews of this film. Many people said it was dragged out far too long, or that it is disrespectful towards women. If your looking for a fast paced action film, this isn't it... and about the "mistreatment" of women, this movie gives a very powerful and impactful message on the subject that is in no way disrespectful towards women. As far as innapropiate stuff goes, there are a few scenes containing nudity, some sexualized and some not. While the main concerns of many parents are the "sexy stuff", I can assure you that this film doesn't use any nudity in excess. I went to watch this with my parents, and it wasn't awkward at all (granted I sat in the seat in front of them). So, on the topic of bein disrespectful towards women, I think many people are mistaking the intentions of these nude scenes. For starters (minor spoilers), the scene in which a female replicantdrops out of a bag from the ceiling has many people angered. The scene is meant to show "birth" , hence the birthday suit. However, this scene is also meant to mirror social supremacy in the real world, such as with race and yes, gender. However, in the film, it is supremacy with creator and "created". The entire message of the film is to debate wether replicants are "more human than human", which again, mirrors many of our own social issues, but in a metaphorical way. This scene is not sexualized in my opinion, and is meant to show dominance with the creator over the created. As far as one of the main characters, Joi (Ana de Armas), who appears naked briefly in a few scenes, some people are arguing that Joi (minor spoilers), an A.I., was created to give main character Officer K (Ryan Gosling) pleasure, and was created in the perfect image. Again, this character is very symbolic in many ways, so here are a few. First, she is meant to represent how love and feelings can be "manufactured", or how more people are in love with materialistic things. This is why the point is made throughout the movie that Joi was created for the sole purpose of giving men pleasure, or as a way to distract themselves from the real world. Now, this character can be looked at in multiple ways, making her a very intellectual and dynamic character. First off, returning to the "more human that human" idea, Joi seems to show real feelings for Officer K, which (in my opinion) she does. However, in another scene where another copy of her A.I. (she is a product of a large corporation, and is advertised as such) appears naked, she tries seducing K. Obviously, many people mistook this for the objectification of women. However, in my opinion, this scene could be interpreted dofferently. The way I interpret it is that she (once again) was made for this role, showing that no two A.I. are the same, and that they can develop their own feelings and memmories, which is why this Joi acts differently towards K than the "main" Joi. In summary of the sexual themes in this film, I think many people misrepresent the sexual themes in this film, as instead of trying to show what a "prefect" world of equality would look like, it shows us the world we live in today, in a much darker, grittier version of it. As far as violence goes, it is spread out throughout the film in a few notable scenes. Despite being very realistic, there isn't too much use of blood. If you or your child has watched a marvel movie, you should be fine. As far as language goes, any middle schooler or up will have heard far worse in their everyday environment, with some uses of the F word, and a few others. Again, shouldn't be a problem for anyone who is middle school or up. As far as the quality of the movie, it is a very artistic and stylish film. I like to see this movie is artwork rather than mindless action (not that I don't enjoy action). Again, if your looking for an action flick, your in the wrong place. The film itself has beautifully eerie scenery, and the sound design and quality is some of the best (if not THE best) I've heard in a movie in recent memory. Long, drawn out sequences have also been the topic of many people's criticisms, saying the film is "boring". Again, you can't always treat this film as JUST a film. Instead, you have to enjoy it as you would a photograph, painting, or fine wine. It is very atmospheric and again, a beautiful industrial setting. The film tackles many important and mature themes, some of which might go over younger virwer's heads. Such themes as racism, sexism, what it means to be human, morale, and more are discussed or portrayed in this film. And as mentioned before, this film is like a work of art, and as such, can be interpreted in many ways. These are my personal interpretations. In sumarry, the only things I'd look out for are some nudity and language, but other than that, any mature 13 year old or older should be fine with this movie. However, I feel like it's less the conventional "innapropiate" things that make this movie not ok for younger audiences, and more the themes and real world issues that it tackles. Overall, one of the best movies I've ever watched, I highly reccomend!

Teen, 13 years old Written byMovie- Book reviewer October 8, 2017

Good story. Too much nudity

I feel this movie had a lot more nudity than they needed, they showed 2 times a topless woman/hologram plus showed topless women in eggs/pods. More weapons violence (missile, guns etc...) than fist fights unlike the first one, not much blood. Overall i think mature teens 13 and up.

Teen, 17 years old Written byraziuddin.mahmood October 8, 2017

A smartly-directed, perfectly shot, beautifully crafted, steadily paced, mature science fiction film that improves upon its predecessor! Arguably one of the greatest sequels ever made!

Blade Runner 2049 is the sequel to the 1982 sci-fi cyberpunk classic Blade Runner. It is set 30 years after the original film in a dystopian Los Angeles 2049 where a blade runner, a police officer ordered to hunt down synthetic androids known as Replicants, named K (played by Ryan Gosling) is trying to uncover a dangerous secret surrounding a previous Replicant that could threaten society. In the process, K seeks the help of the disappeared blade runner Rick Deckard (played by Harrison Ford) from the original film. I'm going to be as vague as possible when discussing the film's plot because I really want the audience to experience the film for themselves. When you have a film like the original Blade Runner that was very influential on subsequent sci-fi films + inspired generations of filmmakers/film fans, it is very difficult to make a follow-up that can match or even exceed its predecessor. After seeing Blade Runner 2049, I can safely say that this film is a great sequel that manages to recapture the spirit of the original film perfectly, while also expanding on the mythology and storytelling of this dystopian setting. There a lot of things to cherish about BR 2049. First off, this movie is a visual masterpiece. The cinematography/color palette is one of the best I have ever seen in a film. Similar to how the original Blade Runner wonderfully introduced its visual flair within the first 5 minutes, this movie sets up a realistic and bleak dystopian setting through all of its immaculate camera shots and angles. Every frame of this movie is meant for the audience to gaze in awe about the look and scope of Blade Runner, and I can see many future filmmakers being inspired by the way this film is shot and directed. Another part that I loved was the film's unique narrative and its ability to stand on its own. Although this movie is technically a sequel, it doesn't completely rely on its predecessor's fame to tell a story. It's not trying to revive a franchise or repeat the same events that happened in the first film involving Deckard. Instead, BR 2049 is a self-contained story out of which the writers and director are trying to craft a personal and unique film. The themes of identity, man vs machine, and what it means to be human are carried over from the 1st film and given new light in BR 2049's story. The film mainly focuses on the character of K trying solving the mystery but also delving deep into his personal demons, along with adding more elements to Deckard's story arc. This is where the performances of Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford come in, who are both fantastic. Gosling does a great job or portraying a person serving the law but is also struggling to come to terms with his past and overall identity in society. Harrison Ford was fantastic in his reprisal of Deckard as he plays an ex-blade runner who has gone through so much pain from events in the 1st film after having to deal the oppression surrounding Replicants in the name of law, along with questioning his own humanity. The supporting cast members were also quite captivating, especially considering the villain's motivations. One of the things that the film requires of its audience is to pay attention and remain invested as the movie plays out. The film is quite long at 2hrs 45 min, so some people may have a problem with the film's pacing. However, like the original, BR 2049 is steadily setting the stage for its characters + mystery/detective story, ultimately leading up to an intense finale. This movie takes a lot of unexpected twists and turns with its characters which, especially when considering the 1st film, make the plot all the more compelling and emotionally satisfying. Other noteworthy elements were the electrifying musical score by Hans Zimmer and the seamless visual effects/set designs. As far as content goes, there are some things for younger audiences to be aware of. The action sequences, while brief, are quite brutal and intense (with a few scenes of blood spurting out, stabbings). Some of the language is a little mild, there are a few scenes of non-sexual (and off-screen) nudity involving holograms/replicants. This film, like the 1st, has a very dark, noir atmosphere and deals with heavy philosophical themes for the viewer to reflect on. Therefore, this film is best suited for more mature moviegoing audiences in the 14 to 15+ age range. In the end, Blade Runner 2049 is a rare example of a sequel arguably being better than its predecessor due to its unique style and focus on fresh storytelling, along with the retainment of the traditional themes and messages that made the original so great. After reflecting on this movie for a while, I do think that BR 2049 definitely joins and/or transcends the ranks of other great contemporary sci-fi films that have come out recently (namely District 9, Inception, Source Code, Looper, Edge of Tomorrow, Ex Machina, Arrival, etc). It's a great sequel + standalone film that further explores the lore of this dystopian society, and I'm sure that it is a soon-to-be-classic for aspiring filmmakers. I highly recommend watching Blade Runner 2049 (especially in IMAX to get the full scope) along with the original Blade Runner to gain a better understanding of the backstory. Please go out and support this film as soon as you can since it's currently not faring well at the box office and it deserves to seen by people who love watching good movies. :)

Teen, 16 years old Written byking_ November 5, 2017

Super content heavy and mature sequel

Blade Runner 2049 almost lives up to the classic original, but it's quite perfect. It's also very violent and contains lots of nudity. There are 6 main scenes containing nudity. Instead of describing most of them, here's a brief summary: most of the nudity is just breasts and buttocks. We see both throughout the movie. The main exceptions are 2 scenes. One is where a woman's vagina is fully visible, and another where a man and a woman are both naked. Full frontal nudity including male and female genitals are seen. In one of the other scenes, a vagina is briefly visible as well. This film contains a very substantial amount of nudity. There is also tons of violence in the movie. The most violent part is when a bunch of civilians are blown up, we see tons of blood and guts and gore in this scene. Another very violent scene is when a man's leg is graphically cut open with a knife, we never see the wound again though. Many people are punched or shot with realistic results, including a man's jaw being dislocated. A woman is drowned, and it is very realistic. The killings in this movie are very brutal, similar to things like the movies Drive or Halloween. Rather than opting for unrealistic violence, this movie has results of killings shown very realistically, and as a result all the violence feels so real and painful. Suggested MPAA rating: R for graphic nudity and brutal bloody violence. Overall, this movie is best for very mature audiences only.
Kid, 11 years old October 7, 2017

Visually Stunning

I love this movie for the plot, the characters, and of course, the filming. It is a masterpiece. It is an amazing sequel. It is just as good as the original. The action is perfectly well done as well as the filming. The characters are absolutely wonderful. It is one of those movies were as you keep watching you start liking the characters more and more. One of the things that I think was cool is that the first film was about killing replicants and this one is not so much like that. This film is more of a film about finding happiness and treating everyone equally. This action packed si-fi sequel is about a Blade Runner. His name is K. He is a replicant. Later in the movie Harrison Ford shows up. He left his wife and daughter later after the first movie. Ryan Gosling helps Harrison Ford find happiness. The directors name is Denis Villenevue. He directed "Sicario" and "Arrival". My prediction is that "Blade Runner 2049" will win an oscar because of the filming and pretty much everything about it. The reason I think this film is OK for teens seventeen and up is because there is some brutal violence, some language, and tons of nudity. Overall I recommend this movie to anyone over seventeen because it is just so amazing. If you go see it, watch it in IMAX 3D.

Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviefanatic88 December 16, 2017

Beat my expectations

I hadn't seen the original, however I assumed it would be a fierce movie based on the reviews I'd heard from friends. This well beat my expectations; it was exciting, upbeat, amazing use of color, well-thought plot, and great acting. Was some nudity but it wasn't unbearable and definitely wouldn't be reason to avoid the movie

Teen, 13 years old Written bymovie.com December 4, 2017

Blade Runner 2049

First of all we have the tons of sexuality, sex behind frosted glass, naked statues, holograms in a particularly dark future that clearly is a violent one, guns, stabbing, some blood, though the violence is not too harsh, this movie is best for teens, the language surprisingly kept present but not strong with a few common uses of minor words. Overall this reboot is for teens and up, there is everything, lot's of sexuality, some violence and a couple forms of strong language, 15+. Though this movie may not be for kids, it was truly amazing, not just on the dazzling visuals, the film had heart, emotion and amazing performances from a great leading cast. On the whole Blade Runner 2049 is a harsh movie to sit through, 15+, but amazing quality, 5 Stars.

Teen, 16 years old Written byLordPinkleton5676 November 27, 2017

A great movie and sequel, but not a movie made for everyone.

As a teenager, I saw this as both a fan of the original and as a member of a new generation of viewers in a more liberal/pc world than my parents were in when the first came out. I enjoyed this film very much, the main reasons as follows: good structure, philosophy, does what a sequel should do, and is as good if not better than the original from 1982. I have seen many reviews and critiques say this film is sexist and that it reduces women to puppets. Although there is no denying some of the uncomfortable moments. However, I believe this film has the right to have these elements as it fits the tone and credits the tone of the original. The fact that sentient beings like replicants are sex slaves should mess with a viewer's emotions shows that the film is doing its job. This also brings up some commentary of how women are portrayed in media today. When I watch how replicants are treated during scenes involving sex, I see a reflection of the sexual overdrive common in ads, depicting the "perfect woman", reducing a person to a mere object, which is exactly what this film is doing. Not only is in tone, it also provides some commentary on current social issues. Despite these blatant truths, many will disagree as it does not portray women in the social equality many moviegoers expect in today's sjw climate.This film isn't for everyone. It makes you think about the world around you and it conflicts your emotions, providing commentary on many subjects including the objectifying of women in a interesting. Don't bring your kids to this movie unless you and your kids can't handle a hard truth of reality this film serves.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJemTaylor November 2, 2017

Action thriller at the same pace as a drama.

It was very well made, and had great visual effects. The main character lives in a sad world, so it may not be interesting to audiences that like good endings with the whole story unraveled.

Teen, 16 years old Written byCinemArtist7 October 17, 2017

Amazing Sci-Fi Sequel

In the year 2049, a new blade runner for the Los Angeles Police Department, Officer K (Ryan Gosling), discovers a long-buried secret that could potentially bring chaos to a society of replicants and humans. He then sets out on a quest to find a blade runner, Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), who's been hiding for 30 years. First off, this film could be considered one of the greatest sequels of all time. Despite releasing 35 years after the 1982 original, 2049 stands strongly as an individual film on its own--without trying to mimic its predecessor or function as an introduction to a new story. In fact, it expands upon the Blade Runner universe, adding new layers to the story without forgetting about its predecessor. Secondly, this film contains incredible cinematography from Roger Deakins along with revolutionary visual effects and a spellbinding soundtrack. The performances in this film are excellent; however, a few supporting characters are not closely examined or elucidated to enhance the story. Albeit, the film is primarily centered around K's perspective. The film is also quite long, but never tedious, and this further immerses me into its story and increases my interest in the characters. This film does have many layers to it, and possibly even a few biblical allusions. In addition, the film explores mature themes, such as the effects of isolation from nature and humanity on man, what it means to be human, etc. It also shows the importance of courage, taking risks, and staying committed to one's goals to achieve difficult but worthy feats. *Some things to watch out for are some brutal violence, nudity, and mild sexuality. Mature teens could probably handle this. Overall, Blade Runner 2049 is a great film and I deem it a must-see for anyone who likes or nonetheless respects the art of film.

Teen, 17 years old Written bySpencer15 October 23, 2017

Confusing

Blade Runner 2049 is an amazing sequel to a classic film, although I'm not the biggest fan of the original, I do like it. I saw this with my 11 year old brother and he was bored out of his mind; he didn't understand anything and was confused throughout. The movie is very slow burning, it's beautifully edited and perfectly shot, but a younger viewer wouldn't care about that. There are a few action scenes, but they are short and hard to come by. Fans of movies and fans of deep thinking films should love it, but it's hard to recommend for kids. There's a lot of nudity as well so I don't recommend parents seeing this film with their kids.

Teen, 16 years old Written byArrowfanawosome January 18, 2018

Wow

I think thus is a worthy sequel. I was very suprised. Howevere this is not for everyone it has some extreme violance and some scences of nudity, abd throw in so strong languge
Teen, 16 years old Written byelijah batz October 13, 2017

Great film for a much more mature audience.

It's good, but not as good as the first Blade Runner. The visuals and acting is the strong point of this film. I felt the same way about the original Blade Runner. I like the story this film was portraying, and the special effects were top notch. The action was well done too, but there wasn't enough of it in my opinion. The dialog is excellent and Ryan Gosling is still proving that he is one of the best actors out there. I am awarding this new Blade Runner installment an A.

Kid, 11 years old March 28, 2018

Nudity isn’t always sexual, it’s art.

Parents complained about the nudity in this film, but the human body’s isnt only used for sex. It’s a work of art, how it’s created is viewed differently to all, but it’s still a work of art. The violence may be bad, but I don’t think you can help a kid understand violence more than just saying that the world is a horrible play, which is true! I think this film is fine for ages 11-12+. Anything under and I would recommend a few superhero movies, to show them the basics of violence.

Teen, 15 years old Written byParanoidAndroid42 March 12, 2018

Beautiful meditation on what it means to be human

To address the controversy, I have no idea why so many view this movie as sexist. To say they missed the point would be an understatement. That said, Blade Runner 2049 is almost undoubtedly my favorite film of 2017. Even ignoring the content though, it is a hard sell to kids. It's very slow, and very long. The reasons I like it are the reasons others would not. It's not afraid to let the camera dwell on the imagery, and it's all the better for it. This is one of, if not the, prettiest looking movies I have ever seen. The unsettling imagery and the various environments make it feel like a living and breathing world. Take the city, covered in neon lights and advertisements, crowded with strange people, and seemingly endless in the amount of tall buildings it can hold. Then, the hotel. Desolate and dusty, so thoroughly abandoned it's hard to tell what it even used to be. The colors, lighting, and landscapes are ridiculously impressive, and if you appreciate cinematography at all you need to see this movie. On top of is the characters and continued questioning of what it means to be human. Ryan Gosling delivers a powerful performance, even in his most subdued moments. Harrison Ford, in an unexpected turn of events, tries. Ana de Armes is heartbreaking in her programmed devotion to K, and will make wonder what her true feelings are, or if she even has any. Jared Leto is, well, Jared Leto, but it works. This is one of the best and most faithful sequels I have ever seen, and in all honesty, is probably better than the original. I can't guarantee everyone will like it, but if it sounds like the kind of thing you like, you will love it.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJANugur March 6, 2018

A Great Cinematography with Psychology

Denis Villeneuve is a Christopher Nolan for me, these are two directors that made me love cinema. This one might be my most unliked one of Denis but it doesn't mean it's a bad one as you can understand of the title and stars. 3 hours made me a bit tired and bored but i always feel the way "Thank god i watched this movie." i love films with good cinematography and this one, i would directly give the Oscar to. Psychological directing and performences made me think of "Are we being or pretending to be human ?" or "What's the meaning of being human ?" and it was a great 3 hours.

Teen, 13 years old Written bylillyp07 January 28, 2018

Visually stunning - a film experience

I'm going to start out that I read some of the adults reviews and am disappointed. When this movie had just come out I had seen so many reviews online that it was a bad movie and you shouldn't watch it and honestly I think those couldn't be more wrong. I loved this movie from start to finish and would see it ten times more. Yes, there is swearing but it is to punctuate not gratuitous. Yes there is violence, it's an apocalyptic world and dark movie what'd you expect? Yes there is nudity but it's only ass and chest. There's quite a bit but it's supposed to be an extreme mirror of our world today - don't like it, we'll that's the point now isn't it? Also breasts are not a sexual organ and are only considered risqué because people have sexualized them. If the same had been done for elbows then you would all be horrified whenever someone wore a t-shirt. The fact is that 50% of people have them, they're a fact of life and who even cares. If that tarnishes the whole movie for you then grow up or shut up and watch toy story. It is long but that gives it time for the plot to ebb and flow, go in different directions mislead and then come back I think this movie is extremely intelligent and a work of art. I strongly recommend it but I feel that many wouldn't understand the large picture. It is a look at society and corporate culture, as well as just plain dark in general so no it won't be pixie land. A great movie doesn't have to be a happy one
Teen, 14 years old Written byAdam Atom October 19, 2017

For Movie Lovers, Not Young Kids

Don’t get me wrong, this is a phenomenal movie with near perfect filmmaking. Although, the use of nudity shots are completely useless and serve no meaning to the story.