Kid reviews for Blade Runner

A dark, philosophical sci-fi drama for older teens.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAceguy Reviews July 4, 2012

Deep, Philisophical, and powerful, sci-fi drama.

Blade Runner is one of the best movies I have ever seen. It is a film that I feel should be seen by all. The film is a though provoking sci-fi drama with a focus on humanity. It takes place in a dystopian, asian influenced, Los Angeles, in the year 2019 (yes, 7 years from now.) There are machines known as replicants who are entirely identical to humans. Except they are illegal. Rick Deckard is a retired Blade Runner, a special police officer who hunts down and kills replicants. He is brought back into the force to kill a group of escapee replicants from an off-world colony. He meets a replicant named Rachael (that is not a spoiler) who he falls in love with and he finds himself having to make decisions about his own humanity and his job. It is a thought-provoking, and dark film that asks the questions of what we consider human. Director Ridley Scott brilliantly left the film with an ending open to interpretation. I cannot express how powerful this film is. Content wise this film contains a lot of violence. It is not action packed really but the violence is strong. In the beginning of the film we see a man get shot. Later, a replicant is shot to death and she crashes through a window. Shortly after, another replicant is shot in the head after a fist fight. There is no blood but you see a hole in his head and dangling skin. In a different scene, a man's eyes are violently pushed inward and his skull is crushed. This scene may be very terrifying to some viewers and it is the most violent scene. At the end of the film, a replicant beats up a man and grabs him by his nostrils. Then, he shoots her and she violently convulses. A replicant breaks a man's fingers and then a replicant sticks a nail through his hand. The violence is heavy but a very light R. The sex in the film is light. We see brief female nudity but not full frontal (we do see bare breasts.) It is only about 30 seconds and not sexual. It is not explicit as the scene in Titanic (a PG-13 film). There is also a scene where a man and a woman passionatly kiss and the woman tells him to put his hands on her. The scene is very romantic and not explicit. Later we see two men kiss. All of the sexual content is very light and would be considered PG-13 level. There is also some light drug use. A woman smokes and talks about it. The main character drinks liqour often. Really the thing that would make the film hard for younger viewers is how deep it is. It is very mature, and philisophical. The film goes over the heads of some adults. If you r child is mature they can handle it. I say that this film is fine for mature kids and it is a great film for all people. I highly recommend it.

Kid, 12 years old April 25, 2013

A fantastic film, no matter which cut!

This is a dark, dramatic thriller about Rick Deckard being forced back into the old ways of his life to 'retire' a group of androids that are trying to expand their lives. One suggestion I do have for certain unanswered questions is to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? for this is a great novel and even if you don't wonder unanswered questions, I suggest fans of the film to pick it up to compare and contrast between the different mediums for Deckard's story. This film has great casting from every actor and even with the short time after this film's release and Phillip K. D*ck's death, he thought that they got a great cast for the film, especially Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer. Letting you know, the Director's Cut from 1992, other than obviously the US Broadcast, it is the tamest cut out there, mainly due to the fact that it wasn't as gruesome (International Theatrical Cut) and there wasn't any use of the word f***er unlike the Theatrical Cuts and the Final Cut which didn't make that scene seem as poetic as other cuts. Letting you know, the Theatrical Cut has a voice over in which a racist slur is said, but it was technically used so we can understand the term 'skin-job' a little more. You will certainly enjoy this revolutionary science fiction masterpiece. A question CSM overlooked is brought up in later cuts with the question of if Deckard himself is an android. Letting you now with the guy saying that there isn't enough character development, this is just as much science fiction as there is noir elements like the voice over, and, as you most know, noir characters aren't known for character development for that is a way how it is stylized. Can't wait for the sequel!

Kid, 10 years old April 23, 2013

GREAT SCI-FI FLIK!!!!!!!!!!

Blade runner is a movie that deals with the state of the human race in the near future and the possibilities of global collapse. It shows you what the world could be like. There is coak signs everywhere throughout the film. There is a moderate amount of cursing throughout the movie. There is a scene were you see a side view of a breast. There is 7 deaths throughout the movie. In one scene a replicant shots another replicant in the head. There is another scene in which Deckard shoots a female stripper in the head. There are several fighting scenes throughout the movie. A replicant is killed by Deckard. In addition, a male replicant kills himself at the climax of the movie, there are 3 off-screen deaths are suggested.

Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares January 28, 2009
Certainly the best science fiction film of the 1980s.
Teen, 14 years old Written byferraris_rock April 26, 2009
Really good. I actually saw Final Cut, so it might be slightly different... Highly provocative and philisophical, but also extremely violent and gory. Brief nudity in a strip club (breasts). The last 30 minutes of the movie are extremely intense and creepy. Definately not for anybody younger than 14. (This movie was based on the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. If you like this movie/book, read Fahrenheit 451 or 1984.)

Teen, 14 years old Written bylordmax April 9, 2008

interesting drama, not really an action flick

If you are looking for a run and gun action movie, this is not it. The action in this one is extremely brutal and explicit, and violince is not glorified. The main charater is beaten nearly to death twice, one charater is shot in slow motion, another has half his head blown off, another is shot in the side twice and her side gets ripped off. Oddly enough, only 7 charaters die. Good movie for older teens mature enough to understand some of the themes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byR. Zrike July 10, 2014

Amazing Movie!

Great movie for those who can handle dark, intense violence such as someone's eyes getting pushed in (not quiet as gory as it sounds). Someone also pushes a nail through their own hand. A must watch for older teens and adults. Make sure to watch the Final Cut version.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBlackadder August 24, 2009

Eat your heart out Star Wars

This Movie is a perfect example of Science Fiction at it's best. This phonominal movie is tied with Kubrick's 2001 with my favorite Sci Fi motion picture, a must see for everybody over 13. The main problem for younger viewers in this movie is not exceptionally the violence (although it plays a roll) but the complexity of the story line. There were a few parts of the film where I had to ask my father motives behind why charactors were doing this that and the other, and I'm sure that the complexity of this movie would just bounce off an elementary school child's head, so save it till there thirteen. Another point, there is a part of the film where a female's breasts are exposed, so you may want to remove the more inocent of your children at this point in the movie. Keep watching! The Blackadder

Teen, 13 years old Written byThedude68683 January 12, 2014

Blade runner

This is not a action movie it is a drama science fiction movie if you're looking for guns and action go look at total recall (AVOID THE REMAKE) because that has a lot of action this is a thriller and it's awesome I'm not going into the plot because I don't want to spoil anything but still I give the strongest of strong recommends
Teen, 16 years old Written byMovieGeek12345 September 23, 2017

A science fiction masterpiece

Blade Runner is one of the best films ever made, it has great acting and an interesting plot. However what capture audiences most is the very heavy themes of mortality and morality that the film challenges everyone with. It is an outstanding piece of art that has so many layers to it that it has kept people guessing about it's true meaning for decades. Despite the review by Commonsense Media this movie is no where near as violent as it appears. Yes violence does occur and when it does it is a bit graphic but such occurrences are few and far between. The film however is not made for kids and this is obvious by the strong adult themes throughout, I believe that no one under 13 will be able to understand the true meaning of the film and may even find it boring as a result. My Content Ratings: Violence: 4/5 Although it is infrequent the violence in this movie can be a bit graphic. Sex and Nudity: 3/5 Prostitution is referenced and nudity is featured but only briefly. Language: 3/5 Profanity is rather minimal maybe one use of the f-bomb depending of which version you watch (Final Cut has this word). Drugs and Alcohol: 2/5 Alcohol is drunk and cigarettes are smoked by adults.

Teen, 14 years old Written bycoasterdude456 April 2, 2018

Violent, surreal but wonderful

This movie is underrated and great. There is a lot of violence including skin puncturing but it is not glorified violence, instead kind of like the Three Billboards of sci-fi it raises the question. What is it all for? Whose the good guy and whose the bad guy? What the hell is going on? Remember that this movie is not a summer blockbuster. It is slow tiring and even boring but is so worth your time.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAran Donnelly February 3, 2018

My Twenty-Third Favourite Movie of All Time

Blade Runner is an absolutely mesmering science fiction masterpiece and by far one of the most visually beautiful movies ever made. However, it has extremely graphic violence, including shootings, bone breakings and an infamous scenes where a man gets his skull crushed and his eyeballs gouged out at the same time. It has racial slurs including the fictional derogatory term, "skin-jobs" for Replicants, as well as sexual situations including a scene where Rick Deckard makes aggressive intimacy with Rachael. The film also carries themes about humanity and morality and what it takes to be human, which adds to its absolute brilliance. Importantly, do NOT watch the original 1982 theatrical version, either watch the far superior 1992 Director's Cut or the even better 2007 Final Cut.

Teen, 13 years old Written byripe_rat November 9, 2017
Teen, 14 years old Written byTrust_me November 5, 2017

Thought provoking and dark sci-fi classic

Very thought provoking and too deep for young children. Eye gouging and final half hour extremely intense and grippingly brutal. Final cut has hardly any language. Breast briefly visible in corner of screen at one point but easily missed.
Teen, 17 years old Written byraziuddin.mahmood October 3, 2017

A dark, thought-provoking, philosophical, complex, visually stunning, timeless science fiction classic!

As a huge science-fiction geek, this is a film I have been looking forward to reviewing for a long time (especially with Blade Runner 2049 coming to theaters this weekend). The setting of Blade Runner is in a dystopian Los Angeles 2019 where advanced androids known as Replicants (made by the Tyrell Corporation) have been enslaved on off-world colonies. A coup from the Replicants ultimately caused the government to prevent them from living on Earth and police officers (known as Blade Runners) are ordered to kill or "retire" any Replicant they find in their sights. The film tells the story of Rick Deckard (played by Harrison Ford) a well-renowned Blade Runner who is tasked with retiring 4 Replicants who have come to Earth to gain more lifespan from their creator Mr Tyrell. But Deckard is struggling with his secret love for a Replicant named Rachael, who causes him to question his values both as a lawman and as a human. Blade Runner is one the most fascinating science-fiction films I've ever seen for many different reasons. The opening 5 minutes are enough to make someone gaze in wonder at the world they're being introduced to. This is due to the outstanding visual style + practical effects/sets, providing an insightful look at what our societal future could look like 2 years from now with new advancements in technology and commercialization.. Also, the musical score by Vangelis is very mesmerizing and blends in perfectly with the film's futuristic/cyberpunk setting. This film sets up a very noir atmosphere not just because of the visuals, but due to the underlying themes of racism/oppression, law struggles, technology advancements, and what it means to be human. All of the characters in this film are shown to have different flaws + conflicting emotions/motivations on how to survive in a very bleak society. There is a morally complex nature to these characters that develops throughout the film, mainly because of the wonderful performances from the main actors. Harrison Ford gives perhaps the most layered and subtle performance of his career (compared to his more charming movie characters in Star Wars + Indiana Jones). In this film, Ford shows how Deckard is a flawed, drunk anti-hero who is on the edge of his moral compass as a Blade Runner. As he hunts down the Replicants but also falls in love with Rachael, Deckard begins to discover more about himself as he questions the merits of the law and which people he really is serving in this society. His love for Rachael allows him to break the common mentality of oppressing Replicants as he connects with with her and creates a more human personality to his already relentless nature in the law. The main antagonist Roy Batty (who is the leader of the 4 Replicants) is also quite captivating because despite his menacing presence, he is shown to have a clear motivation to gain more life and to experience true human nature rather than being condemned by the law for his image as a Replicant. The film explores Batty's and Deckard's development of people trying to find their place in society and the similar qualities they share despite belonging to different species. The complex characters and themes are all results of the clever writing (which is based off a famous Phillip K Dick novel) and dialogue scenes between the main characters, especially involving an iconic, emotional monologue in the climax + the film's highly debated ending. One thing that I want to stress to audiences is that although Blade Runner has a captivating story, it does take a while for the film to progress its plot since major parts of the film involve slow building suspense and lengthy sequences of Deckard tracking down the Replicants. There are a few action sequences (Replicants getting shot, a man getting blinded, a fight in the rain, an intense finale). But at the film's core it is a thinking film, a character piece, a social commentary, and a philosophical tale of man vs machine that younger audiences should be exposed to. I feel that Blade Runner is a film that needs to be watched multiple times in order for audiences to truly grasp its societal messages and steadily recognize the influence the film has had over many generations. Therefore, the film is best suited for mature young adults and above who can acknowledge the film's complexity within its characters + themes. If you're a film lover, a science-fiction geek, or someone who enjoys a unique story, I highly recommend watching Blade Runner (The Final Cut to be exact) :)

Kid, 11 years old October 2, 2017

Good but very weird at times

I am not very sure if this movie is good because it is unique or because of the plot. I am pretty sure it is because it is unique because it gets weirder and weirder every second. This movie doesn't have have useless violence so none of it gets off topic for the story. This film stars Harrison Ford, he looks super young! I saw this movie yesterday and I didn't like it so much. Today, when I thought about it more I started to like it more. I realized how unique, weird and even scary. I am very exited to watch "Blade Runner 2049" because it looks like it has more action and Ryan Gosling is in it, plus it already has a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. This strange amazing teen flick is about a special cop called a Blade Runner. They specialize in trying to find evil robots. The reason they need cops to find them is because they look exactly like humans. The only difference is that they don't have emotions. Or do they? Bum bum bum! I am very exited to see "Blade Runner 2049". The reason I think this film is OK for teens sixteen and up is because there is some brutal violence, tons of smoking, a brief scene with a naked stripper, but to my surprise there were about five swear words (I watched the original. The Final Cut could be different). Overall I recommend this movie to pretty much everybody sixteen and over.

Teen, 13 years old Written byGkuehn123 July 11, 2017

Teen, 17 years old Written bycopperzinc April 6, 2009

Teen, 16 years old Written byking_ November 5, 2017

Content wise, fine for teens, but very mature movie

Blade Runner is probably one of the best movies ever made. Most people won't understand it, but that's what's great about it. Content wise, it is handles mostly in a PG-13 manner, other than the nudity and some violence. There is a scene with lots of prostitutes mostly wearing no clothing. One wears only body paint. She then washes off the body paint and we see her breasts for a long time. There is little violence in this movie, but what it has is pretty violent. The two most violent scenes is when a woman is shot in the chest, and because she is naked we see the wound and blood spurt. Another scene takes place where a man pokes another man's eyeballs out, very disturbing. Suggested MPAA rating: R for full female nudity and some violence. Some kids will find characters in this movie frightening or odd. Overall, there is little swearing but many nude characters and disturbing violence.
Teen, 14 years old Written byezg03 July 1, 2017
Horrifying scenes of violence, and a terrifying setting. Very disturbing.