Parent reviews for Blazing Saddles

Blazing Saddles Poster Image

Talk to your kids about the N word and Satire before pressing play. The opening scene shows blatant racism.

Our daughter is 9 and loves Mel Brooks movies. This one was less comical and more pointed than the first two we showed her: Space Balls or Robin Hood Men in Tights, which were more accessible. All the same, she loved this one, and it was a great opportunity to talk about racism and political or satirical comedy. We also talked about the difference between bad words like Shit or Asshole and derogatory words like nigger, chink, or faggot, all of which are used in this movie. The seduction scene went totally over her head, but older kids might notice. The most cringeworthy line was shot almost entirely in the dark, after blowing out the candles, starting Madeline Kahn as a German showgirl and Cleavon Little as the black sheriff: Lili Von Shtupp : Tell me, schatze, is it twue what they say about the way you people are... gifted? [sound of zipper opening] Lili Von Shtupp : Oh, it's twue. It's twue. It's twue, it's twue! In terms of violence, there's a scene where the big guy Mongo punches a horse, that falls over. There's shooting and fist-fights, but no blood, death, or major injuries. Gene Wilder plays an alcoholic that takes big gulps straight from his bottle of whisky and is visibly inebriated in some scenes, and there's also a scene where the main character rolls and lights a "cigarette" and then passes it to him to finish, and it makes his voice get high pitched. Heads up just in case substance abuse is a concern for you.

One of the funniest and greatest movies ever made

I’ve seen this movie so many times it gets funnier each time. It is funny because it was a western written by comedic geniuses. Has a lot gags. I love the movie but be warned they say the N word a lot and the cursing is not censored so if you can’t handle offensive language then don’t want it but if you can have a great time watching it

Blazing Saddles and todays politics

I have not watched Blazing saddles in many year. As I was watching it today on DVD, I came to the realization that it fits as a satirical commentary of todays political arena. I hope someone in Hollywood gets the message and developes it as a bigger political satire. Black sheriff-black president, gov-president elect, toll booth- New Jersey governor, president elect wife - Lili, and so on. what a hoot.

Greed and racism are not tolerated.

The greedy businessman hired a black sheriff as a joke, thinking that he'd either leave town right away or be run out of town. But the sheriff's good character got the town's citizens to overcome any racist thoughts they may have had. This is a movie that everyone should see, especially if they like Westerns. True, the n word is used. Today that is definitely offensive, but we must remember that this movie took place in a time when the n word was common usage and wasn't considered offensive.

Amazing comedic satire not for the faint of heart!

By far the best Mel Brooks has put out (ok, the ending got too campy, but up until that point). On the surface the movie is filled with incredibly racist language and situations, but you don't have to scratch too deeply to find the satire. Age isn't as important here as maturity. Your kids should be ready to understand satire and you should be able to discuss topics of racism and prejudice and teach the importance of literary commentary to your kids.

Kids?

Kids may not get all of Brooks' Old West parody? But who says this movie is for Kids? It should be kept well away from them at all times. When the get older though they should know that this was and is one of the greatest comedy films of all time.

A raucous good time!

Brooks' genius along with four other writers (including Richard Pryor, who you can tell definitely contributed to some of Bart's lines) shines brightly onscreen! Constant breaking of the fourth wall between takes on the Old West genre and breaking down racial barriers, "Saddles" was a revelation for its time and still a revelation to watch now, if not just for the dynamic chemistry between Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder. It's a terrific set up and homage and great film in its own right...just save it for older teens!

Satire at its finest

Watch with the kids and be ready to explain that Brooks is poking fun at racists and showing them up to be idiots. This movie provides a great vehicle to discuss satire with your kids and how satire can be used to make social commentary. That said dont forget this is a truly funny comedy in the best Brooks tradition.

Blazing Saddles

Very very funny. A little fun fact: Blazing Saddles was the first movie to have farts, and when it first in theaters they made it silent so all you see was 10 cowboys randomly getting up around a campfire.

Love it!

This movie is rated R for one reason: Language. Swearing is constant and the sherrif is not liked in the beginning since he is african american but his heroic actions in stopping rustlers from destroying the town really made the people grow on him. Sadly, in the end, he leaves to help other towns. The n-word is used often since it is in an early time where there was slavery. The only real problem is language. Violence is slapstick like when everyone was joining the fight into the hollywood studios. People drink at the saloon and the waco kid (Gene wilder) is a heavy drinker who befriends the sherrif. I really liked it. good for 11+ due to its frequent swearing and racial slurs