Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Bohemian Rhapsody

Exuberant music, electric performance in routine biopic.

Adult Written byThe_Real_Truth November 2, 2018

Exciting, edgy and hits all the emotions

You will definitely feel the perspective of Freddy Mercury. There is some drama and defiance surrounding his relationship with his dad. He says the usual suspects and an unexpected f**k thrown in there. There are a couple clips where he is clearly about to or just finished having sex with his girlfriend/fiance. About half way through the movie it shows him realizing he is gay. He is shown kissing multiple men and there is a clip of him walking through what looks like an s&m club. He begins partying pretty hard. Drugs and lots of drinking is to be expected, as one should with a rock star movie. His battle with AIDS is not discreet. I felt very comfortable taking my 14 year old high school student to see it. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone younger. The music is fantastic and will make you feel like you were there. I had high expectations and it did not disappoint!

Parent of a 12 year old Written byF. P. November 2, 2018

A good film that has 2 halves- Hetero Freddie and Homosexual Freddie

I think the film is fine, though it should have been made on a Grand scale as this is Queen. What's notable is that the 1st half of the film Freddie is Heterosexual, the second half he is a Homosexual. He is seen laying in bed kissing his girlfriend , but the 2nd half has him being kissed on the lips by gay men in 2 scenes, once forcefully. Also show him wandering through a gay leather bar. Many scenes that are implying homosexual innuendo, ( A trucker stares Freddie down outside a mens room.. they look at each other.. Fade to black )There is drinking in this film ( Beers, Champagne ) but nothing on a Rock Star level. There is some cross dressing shown. If you have a young child- you may have to explain to them what Bi-Sexual is as Freddie refers to himself as that only to have his girlfriend tell him he's not- he's Gay. No violence I can think of, also a few swear words here and there.
Parent Written byLisa H. November 2, 2018

Need to be 14 or older

We went to preview the movie for our 9 yo daughter who performs Queen songs and has been counting the days until the release of this movie. First, let me say that we loved the movie!!! It was incredible!!! But the themes are way too mature for most kids under 14–and our kid is a VERY mature 9 yo. But this would have been too much for her. There is no real drug use shown (except taking a pill and references to being high), but lots of drinking. The most suggestive parts were the gay bar scenes and the over-the-top parties. There were visuals I couldn’t or wouldn’t want to explain to a younger kid. But to anyone who is a little older, I would go see this movie tomorrow!

Parent Written byV C November 4, 2018

Inspiring - meaningful messages

An inspiring movie for 11+ year-old kids, with two meaningful themes: good thoughts, good words, good deeds will redeem a person, even at an absolute nadir of their life, and loyalty to family is important, be it one's biological family or a close group like a band. Freddie Mercury is a gay icon - one of the very few major-league entertainers to get even slightly close to an authentic life before about the year 2000. Because of that, there are suggestions (and only relatively mild ones) about his life as a gay man in the film: two somewhat chaste kisses, a club scene where you see guys in leather, a guy in underwear on a couch waking up after what we assume was an overnighter, a few meaningful glances, and one pat on the bum that was immediately rebuffed by the person being patted. The party scenes are also often only suggestions: a house with dozens of dirty glasses and empty beer bottles and a dusty table top (suggesting cocaine, but so subtle it took a while for it to register - no kid on the planet would be likely to pick up on it). Nothing more appalling than the aftermath of most college parties, frankly. There's quite a bit of cigarette smoking which is unfortunate, but typical for the era. You'll need to explain that to your kids. The last few scenes where we witness Freddie succumbing to AIDS may be hard for sensitive kids, but his triumph at LiveAid mitigates that, as does his reunion with family and band. Other than that, though, the messages are strong: family is the most important thing, whether that family is biological or a team/band; and living an authentic life while being mindful of good thoughts and deeds will redeem a person no matter where they are in life.

Adult Written byellolomama November 13, 2018

Borderline Family Movie

I went without my kids first to make sure it was appropriate before taking them. After watching, I thought it was maybe even PG! As many other users have noted, swearing is minimal, no nudity, essentially no violence, no sex scenes, no obvious drug usage (that kids would recognize)... I also appreciated the positive messages it gave. Honestly, most Disney and DreamWorks movies geared toward kids contain more inappropriate material than this movie. If you're a family who is open about the world and discussing things that kids bring up, and you LOVE music, this movie is appropriate (and FUN) for most ages!

Parent of a 12 year old Written byLisaLACA November 12, 2018

So many good lesssons

We have twins, a boy and a girl just turned age 12. Our daughter is more mature than our son and this would be considered their first “real” film outside of Marvel movies, etc. I will admit I read all the reviews here and was worried about my son. I need not have! The drug use is totally just one little quick blip of white powder on a table and the scene where he is walking through the S and M bar is very short and not really too graphic. The few bad words are not a big deal. Freddie is portrayed as sort of a tortured soul and is mostly kind, and humble even in his larger than life ego. There is a ton of music and focus on how the songs came to be. It’s more of a tribute to him and the band than a real look at his life in all its gritty reality. There is sadness and laughs and it opened the door for us to have a very good discussion with our kids afterward about the history of AIDS and discrimination toward the LGBTQ community. We told our kids ahead of time they would see some more adult themes than they had before, including a look at a man struggling with his sexuality. I’m glad we did that because although we have raised them to be loving and accepting of everyone, they had never really seen anything like this about the queer community. Both my kids said they loved the movie and they really loved the music. There are some fantastic lessons here for kids and adults alike.

Adult Written byLunalunita November 13, 2018

Pretty Beningn

I find this film a pretty ok film for 9 and up children to watch. Yes sex is implied and alcohol and flirting a little bit there’s no cviolence nor diminishing women. I find it less damaging than children’s movies. I am shock when I take my child to see animation movies for children full of violence and unkindness. This film is less damiging to children. My daughter loved. I think it is an ok film for 9+
Adult Written bygod god fod ammon November 3, 2018

there was shouting and arguing

this movie should not by seen by anyone because it is so violent there was mild threats and shouting i really think that it should be 30 plus because it will blacken your sole with violence

Adult Written bymom3boys November 11, 2018

x, drugs and rocknroll

I took my 13 yr old based on the commonsense rating of 12 and this is my first time being misled. This film is half about art, risk taking, following your dreams/destiny. A long 50% of it is about sexuality, exploitation, the vices of the 70s and 80s and the loneliness of self indulgence (shirked responsibilities). Children who are still living their childhood may not be able to process extreme promiscuity, alcoholism and then repeat.

Parent Written byKaralynne33 November 13, 2018

Should NOT be rated PG-13

I saw this movie with a friend and loved it; however, I do not agree with the PG-13 rating. As a southern CA resident, I suppose I'm a more conservative parent; however, that being said . . . I don't know of any other moms in the area who would allow their 13 yr old (or high schooler for that matter) to see this movie. There are multiple scenes of cocaine use, a promotion of promiscuous behavior, and of course Freddie Mercury's drinking binges combined with his exploration of various lifestyles. He begins as a heterosexual and then explores homosexuality; however, his fiancée (Mary) corrects him when he declares his bisexual. She claims he's definitely homosexual. My kids are aware of the aforementioned lifestyles; however, it's the promoting of promiscuity, alcoholism and promiscuity that makes me question the rating. It's a great movie for adults, though. I loved the music as well as the uncanny portrayal of Freddie Mercury by Malek. He does a phenomenal job as do the other actors, including Lucy Brown (as Mary).

Parent of a 16 year old Written byL-Hall family November 4, 2018

Well done

I went with my 14 year old son and some of his friends. Beside the obvious, it's about the life of Queen and Freddie Mercury, it was also about friendships, I thought it did an excellent portrayal of the difference between having sincere friendships and superficial friendships and the experiences of having them. I also thought the movie did a very good job of portraying the promiscuous life style of a rock in roll star in a very tasteful way for a teenagers. And of course it tells the consequences of that life style, in that Freddie contracts and dies of AIDS. From this perspective I thought this movie had a good strong message for teens, as well as, my son put it 'makes me have a better appreciation for their music".

Adult Written byjrosmom November 24, 2018

Excellent portrayal of male friendships. A modern, must-see for boys.

I'm guessing some parents might get a little uncomfortable in a few scenes with their middle schoolers, the kids are not going to be shocked by anything in this film. Took 11 and 12 yr old boys who were excited to see it for the music - they're in a rock band. My Mom-Takeaways: 1. Women treated respectfully. 2. A playful, but unwelcome, groping scene where the grope-r gets called out and immediately apologizes for his uncool move. 3. Strong male friendships free of violence, machismo, rapey-dude speak, etc. 4. Bad decisions met with consequences, but not preachy-Drinking & sex not inherently bad in context, waking up on the floor after a bender with your new fake friends, less so. 5. Wear what you want, take chances, believe in your ideas. 6. Interesting examples of real love - romantic, familial & friendship. All in all - a great movie for young dudes to see. There aren't many movies addressing real stuff for young boys that aren't either softballed & lame AF or filled with special effects and costumes. Also -wonderfully acted, beautifully shot, music was great.

Adult Written byStevie111 November 2, 2018

Enjoyable and fun biopic, but it is pretty basic

Bohemian Rhapsody is good, but just good. Everything is done well, but it is nothing surprising. The performances are very good, especially Rami Malek. Everything was almost too uplifting and light. It is fairly tame considering some of the topics that come up. There are several implied sexual situations and lots of partying with drinking and drugs. The drug use is also mostly implied. The themes are still present. There is a lot of language including an f-bomb and suggestive jokes. I really enjoyed the movie, but everything was just a little too polished. I still would recommend it, especially to fans.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byKimmyDobro November 5, 2018

Biography of Freddy Mercury with some awesome music!

After reading reviews, we took our family to see Bohemian Rhapsody since we love Queen's music so much. It is a relatively tame story about the life of Freddy Mercury. Sex and drugs are implied but not explicit. Swearing is big, but infrequent. I think my kids missed it completely. Drinking and smoking are prevalent. The theme of acceptance and being yourself is worth it.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byPhoenix T. November 24, 2018

Outsanding. Highly Recommend. Rami Malik's capturing of Freddie Mercury is close to perfection.

Outsanding film. Rami Malik's capturing of Freddie Mercury is close to perfection. Saw the film twice. Great score w/ a stunningly brilliant final performance in the Live Aid sequence. Stunning. The film is balanced and covers a tremendous historical sweep while paying attention to the individuality (and humanity) of not just Freddy Mercury but those whose lives intersected with his. Completely deserving of an Academy Award sweep. Highly recommend.

Adult Written byMari73 November 17, 2018

Good messages

More sanitized than you would think. Deals with love, loss, loneliness, struggling with your sexuality and self, making bad choices and learning from them, and finally finding what is important in life. Nothing explicit is shown. Man and woman kissing briefly. Man and man kissing briefly. There is nothing here your middle schooler doesnt already know about. But you should watch the movie with them and use it as an opportunity to talk about these difficult topics together.

Adult Written bykellynoon November 29, 2018

Excellent Movie!!! Have your kids been exposed to the LGBT community?

I mean it's about Freddy Mercury and a Rock Band. You know what you're getting into before you go. We are a pretty open family and have children who understand LGBT and what it is. They've seen kinky boots - they get cross dressing, They are friendly with a transgender women in our community. They get it. Because of that, I thought this movie was fine for them. There's a scene of Freddy walking through a Club and I covered their eyes for that. There's a couple scenes where Freddy kisses other men. The one thing I really didn't like is there is a lot of cigarettes in this movie - Queen is an amazing band and the movie portrays that - unfortunately they come off so "cool" and they're consistently smoking. It's a movie about one of the greatest bands and an inspiring story of how they got there and stuck together (for the most part) I wanted my kids to see it. We've been listening to Queen for days after it!
Adult Written byangrysuburbanmom December 10, 2018

too much gay

I let my 13 year old daughter watch this film. I thought it would be an educational documentary about freddies life. It was far from it. I can’t believe I exposed my daughter to such themes. After seeing the film my daughter asked “mom, who is paul?”. I was disgusted. Would not recommend this film.

Adult Written byDuarte29 November 17, 2018

Didn't do Freddie Mercury Justice

This is not about the music. It's about Freddie Mercury's sexual being and his way of life and his legacy was of NO importance. Better off watching Biographies about him with accurate information about him. Long live Mr. Freddie Mercury and the great music of QUEEN!!!

Parent of a 12 year old Written byMartha's Reviews November 8, 2018

Queen biopic seems to be heading the right way, but falls flat.

2018 has had some hits - "A Star Is Born", "The Greatest Showman", "Mamma Mia 2" and many more ~ as well as some misses - "The Little Mermaid", "Show Dogs", and "Crazy Rich Asians". Going into "Bohemian Rhapsody" we were expecting a fantastic, dramatic, musical biopic not shedding light on Mercury's tragic days, but instead we didn't get a hit or a miss but what seemed more like a promotional video for Queen as a band. I say this, because I asked my 12 year old (13 next month) if she wanted to see this film with me, and she replied with the exact words - "Sure! I love Queen's music!" which suprised me a young girl of this generation knew of such a band from many decades ago, but it wasn't just that, for the theater was packed with kids (preferably 11-13). The film did garner a PG-13 rating, so I was expecting 13-14 year olds at the youngest in there, though it seemed to be the amount of kids outnumbering the adults. Moving on to the film's actual content, I can admit that the very first scene (Mercury going onto stage for 'LIVE AID' with some fantastic cinematography and close-ups music blasting in the background) I was thinking to myself we are going to have a great film, but soon it all started going down hill. Rami Malek delivered a fantastic performance as young Freddie right down to the looks and voice, but the way the script was written and how it was driven was suprisingly clunky and made it as though Malek wasn't doing a good job though he was really embodying the character and going for it. To me I personally found this film a bit disappointing, a bit underwhelming in the sense I was really thinking from that beginning it was going the right way and we were in very good hands, but the writing really made it seem as though the director's aim was to introduce a new generation to Queen. If I could give it a rating out of 10, I would give Malek, the team behind the cinematography, music, filming etc, and those who worked on the first scene an 8/10, but for the movie's actually quality a 5/10. My daughter not from the Queen generation said that she really enjoyed it, and I know others who are slightly younger who also really liked it, but to me I just felt like half way through it fell flat which was a shame really because it seemed to have so much potential from the opening scene. That's all I have to say, thank you for reading my review.