Parent reviews for Bohemian Rhapsody

Exuberant music, electric performance in routine biopic.

Parent Written byV C November 4, 2018

Inspiring - meaningful messages

An inspiring movie for 11+ year-old kids, with two meaningful themes: good thoughts, good words, good deeds will redeem a person, even at an absolute nadir of their life, and loyalty to family is important, be it one's biological family or a close group like a band.

Freddie Mercury is a gay icon - one of the very few major-league entertainers to get even slightly close to an authentic life before about the year 2000. Because of that, there are suggestions (and only relatively mild ones) about his life as a gay man in the film: two somewhat chaste kisses, a club scene where you see guys in leather, a guy in underwear on a couch waking up after what we assume was an overnighter, a few meaningful glances, and one pat on the bum that was immediately rebuffed by the person being patted.

The party scenes are also often only suggestions: a house with dozens of dirty glasses and empty beer bottles and a dusty table top (suggesting cocaine, but so subtle it took a while for it to register - no kid on the planet would be likely to pick up on it). Nothing more appalling than the aftermath of most college parties, frankly. There's quite a bit of cigarette smoking which is unfortunate, but typical for the era. You'll need to explain that to your kids.

The last few scenes where we witness Freddie succumbing to AIDS may be hard for sensitive kids, but his triumph at LiveAid mitigates that, as does his reunion with family and band.

Other than that, though, the messages are strong: family is the most important thing, whether that family is biological or a team/band; and living an authentic life while being mindful of good thoughts and deeds will redeem a person no matter where they are in life.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byLisaLACA November 12, 2018

So many good lesssons

We have twins, a boy and a girl just turned age 12. Our daughter is more mature than our son and this would be considered their first “real” film outside of Marvel movies, etc. I will admit I read all the reviews here and was worried about my son. I need not have! The drug use is totally just one little quick blip of white powder on a table and the scene where he is walking through the S and M bar is very short and not really too graphic. The few bad words are not a big deal. Freddie is portrayed as sort of a tortured soul and is mostly kind, and humble even in his larger than life ego. There is a ton of music and focus on how the songs came to be. It’s more of a tribute to him and the band than a real look at his life in all its gritty reality.

There is sadness and laughs and it opened the door for us to have a very good discussion with our kids afterward about the history of AIDS and discrimination toward the LGBTQ community.

We told our kids ahead of time they would see some more adult themes than they had before, including a look at a man struggling with his sexuality. I’m glad we did that because although we have raised them to be loving and accepting of everyone, they had never really seen anything like this about the queer community. Both my kids said they loved the movie and they really loved the music. There are some fantastic lessons here for kids and adults alike.

Adult Written byThe_Real_Truth November 2, 2018

Exciting, edgy and hits all the emotions

You will definitely feel the perspective of Freddy Mercury. There is some drama and defiance surrounding his relationship with his dad. He says the usual suspects and an unexpected f**k thrown in there. There are a couple clips where he is clearly about to or just finished having sex with his girlfriend/fiance. About half way through the movie it shows him realizing he is gay. He is shown kissing multiple men and there is a clip of him walking through what looks like an s&m club. He begins partying pretty hard. Drugs and lots of drinking is to be expected, as one should with a rock star movie. His battle with AIDS is not discreet. I felt very comfortable taking my 14 year old high school student to see it. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone younger. The music is fantastic and will make you feel like you were there. I had high expectations and it did not disappoint!

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byKimmyDobro November 5, 2018

Biography of Freddy Mercury with some awesome music!

After reading reviews, we took our family to see Bohemian Rhapsody since we love Queen's music so much. It is a relatively tame story about the life of Freddy Mercury. Sex and drugs are implied but not explicit. Swearing is big, but infrequent. I think my kids missed it completely. Drinking and smoking are prevalent. The theme of acceptance and being yourself is worth it.

Parent Written byLisa H. November 2, 2018

Need to be 14 or older

We went to preview the movie for our 9 yo daughter who performs Queen songs and has been counting the days until the release of this movie. First, let me say that we loved the movie!!! It was incredible!!! But the themes are way too mature for most kids under 14–and our kid is a VERY mature 9 yo. But this would have been too much for her. There is no real drug use shown (except taking a pill and references to being high), but lots of drinking. The most suggestive parts were the gay bar scenes and the over-the-top parties. There were visuals I couldn’t or wouldn’t want to explain to a younger kid. But to anyone who is a little older, I would go see this movie tomorrow!

Adult Written byLillianH November 10, 2018

Okay for 11+

I think that is an incredible movie for music lovers!! They do swear multiple times, and drink as well.

Parent of a 16-year-old Written byL-Hall family November 4, 2018

Well done

I went with my 14 year old son and some of his friends. Beside the obvious, it's about the life of Queen and Freddie Mercury, it was also about friendships, I thought it did an excellent portrayal of the difference between having sincere friendships and superficial friendships and the experiences of having them. I also thought the movie did a very good job of portraying the promiscuous life style of a rock in roll star in a very tasteful way for a teenagers. And of course it tells the consequences of that life style, in that Freddie contracts and dies of AIDS. From this perspective I thought this movie had a good strong message for teens, as well as, my son put it 'makes me have a better appreciation for their music".

Adult Written byStevie111 November 2, 2018

Enjoyable and fun biopic, but it is pretty basic

Bohemian Rhapsody is good, but just good. Everything is done well, but it is nothing surprising. The performances are very good, especially Rami Malek. Everything was almost too uplifting and light. It is fairly tame considering some of the topics that come up. There are several implied sexual situations and lots of partying with drinking and drugs. The drug use is also mostly implied. The themes are still present. There is a lot of language including an f-bomb and suggestive jokes. I really enjoyed the movie, but everything was just a little too polished. I still would recommend it, especially to fans.

Adult Written byMataeka March 8, 2020
Adult Written byLongJohnSilver December 8, 2019

A must-watch for kids 12 and up!

Messages: There are lots of messages portrayed in this film. First of all, nearly every character is a kind person (excluding the likes of Paul Prenter). Second, even after Freddie (SPOILER ALERT) gets diagnosed with HIV AIDS, his band is still with him.

Role Models: Well, yeah, as previously stated, nearly every character is a kind person.

Sex: Implied sex between Freddie and Mary, we see Freddie shirtless and Mary bare-shouldered. Some kissing (both homosexual and heterosexual).

Language: Frequent s**ts along with other minor swear words, but Freddie does eventually say "Freddie f***ing Mercury".

"Bohemian Rhapsody" is a must watch for any kid aged 12 or up (if your kids are mature let them watch it at 11). The "Oscar" Nomination was spot-on.

Adult Written byUgzilla September 18, 2019

Excellent show - drugs & sex, save it for older kids

I wouldn't watch with teens until they hit about 15. Too much sex & drugs as I recall for younger teens, in my opinion.

Parent of a 8, 12, and 12-year-old Written byBestieBeePumpkinPie September 7, 2019

I think it's 12 and up as long as there is parent guidence.

Adult Written byhoneybuns44 August 5, 2019

REALLY GREAT!!

Loved the movie! Good interpretation of Fred! Very pleased with it and happy to spend 11.35 on another ticket!
Shane
Parent of a 8-year-old Written byOllie_review July 5, 2019

BEST!!!!

the day it was released, we looked it up on target. then we went to target, i ran up the aisles, until i got to the movie section. we bought it and rushed out. i really enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody. my favorite band is queen and my favorite song is another one bites the dust and Bohemian Rhapsody is my favorite movie. it had LOADS of swearing and lots of drinking and a few threats.it also had adult themes.

Parent of a 1, 4, 6, 13, and 18+-year-old Written byJohn T. May 29, 2019

Way.... way too safe.

Ugh... So much of the story was censored. The man was bi sexual get over it people. The story was completely nudered of all of Freddy Mercury's struggles. Not at all accurate of how events actually played out. Such a burning disappointment.
Adult Written byulrika h. May 18, 2019
Adult Written by[email protected] May 12, 2019

Freddy Mercury was genius

Good movie. The casting is brilliant. There are implied sexual encounters, but nothing blatant. His relationship with Mary (the love of his life), is beautiful.
Parent of a 11 and 14-year-old Written byteacher_mom April 11, 2019

Should be rated R!

Loved the music, but that's about it. I was disappointed and quite surprised this was PG13. I would never show this to my teenage girls! Drug use, excessive drinking, smoking, bi-sexual promiscuity, language, AIDS... It is all in there and I didn't find it to be "implied" like other reviews indicated. Again, great songs that I love, but not great messages to share with your kids!

Adult Written byBecky S FL March 31, 2019

confusing message on sexuality for young kids/teens

Movie was ideal for age 16 or up at a minimum in my opinion. Scenes included gay bar and the usual drug/alcohol use of rock n roll. Overall good messages included that main character was mostly a team player, and the importance of family/friends.

Adult Written byJohannab26 March 23, 2019