Super-dog adventure is fun, age-appropriate for kids.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byajca February 22, 2010

No good for 5 year old

My five year old was terrified, and while it was clear to an adult that Bolt was an "actor" my son didn't fully get it (at least until we had to turn it off!). The beginning was way too violent and scary, it was too sad when the girl left him, and we turned it off when the cats started to scare him. Maybe it gets better from there, but my kids were terrified at this point!
Kid, 10 years old March 25, 2011

The best!

Awesome movie! way better than Chicken little!
Kid, 10 years old December 10, 2010

Good For All Ages (Depending on what you think is a little kid movie.)

I found nothing wrong with this movie. I went to see it in theatres when I was 8 and I'm a month away from being 11 and I'm always happy to watch it. The fire scene is nothing to be worried about, in my opinion. I think 3+ would be good, but, maybe 4+ for the mild peril. I'm pretty surprised it was rated 'PG'. Think about 'The Secrets Of The Nimh'. It was only rated G, and it's very bloodshed. Dissapointed at Disney for being so bloodshed not to keep the fight scene with Bolt and the other dogs. A much better way in my opinion for older kids for Bolt to find out he has no powers.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written bychocokids September 4, 2009

Ignore site review - VERY scary parts!!!

Ignore what this site says about this movie! My kids (7.5 and 4.5) are very sensitive and scare easily. So when I read this site's review and saw that there was nothing scary in this movie, I figured it would be a good choice for our family. Ignore, for example, the line that says it's clear that the violence is fake. It is NOT clear until AFTER it is revealed that the violence in the beginning is not real life, but a TV show. We don't know this until several minutes into the movie, until after we've seen a lot of scary stuff. The review also does not mention the very real fire that occurs at the end of the movie, when Penny's life is in danger. Um, you didn't think to mention this, Common Sense Media? This is incredibly disturbing to kids! My son also had trouble with the fact that Penny and Bolt were separated for much of the movie. He kept asking when Bolt was going to be with Penny again. He even cried about it. And near the end, when Bolt finds Penny, he witnesses her reuniting with a fake Bolt for the TV show. This made my son cry too. So while this isn't scary or violent, it's tough on a whole 'nother level.
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byMamaRo October 3, 2014

If your kids are already desensitized to TV violence, maybe...

The majority of the movie is Ok for age 6, I suppose but I was appalled at the level of violence in the opening sequence and I can't believe Common Sense Media didn't give a better warning about that. Evil villains pursuing a little girl and her dog on Helicopters and motorcycles across LA freeways and then blowing up? Ticking time bombs threatening a school bus full of children? A hundred special agents and their vehicles blowing up in a cloud of rocks and dust? Only to find out it's "just a movie set"? Still, why would that be considered OK for kids that young to see at all? I would not have shown this to 6 year olds if I had known it opened with all that violence. Doesn't matter if it turns out to be "just pretend"; they still experienced it and some of them couldn't handle it.
Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written byWife-mother-law... April 2, 2011
This a terrifically fun movie but the opening sequences were way too scary for my 5 year old. He asked us to turn it off. Having seen it before, I tried to explain the "show within show" concept but he did not really get that. He watched a bit longer - even into the part were the high action sequences were over - and still asked to be excused. So he was excused and happily went to hang out with Grandma instead. My 10 year old and I continued watching and we enjoyed it enormously. The role of Mittens the cat, voiced by Susie Essman, was hilarious and touching. Great family film but sensitive five and six year-olds won't be ready for it. Start at 7 if you want to make sure everyone enjoys and understands it.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byluvmybing January 27, 2010

Watch it before you let your little ones

Based on my 5 year old daughters short life and life experiences, I felt that despite most reviews here and Pluggedinonline.com this movie was WAY too intense and we had to turn it off half way through. She could not discern the difference between the "actor" and the "real life" character and she has NO, none, nada frame of reference to process some of the "real life" peril (the train scene where Bolt still does not know he is not a super hero and their lives are truly at risk, this is where we stopped watching). Prior to viewing the movie with my daughter I discussed the most popular concerns (real life vs. acting, the fire at the end, the scary guys with green eyes) that parents had with the movie and felt that it would be appropriate for her to watch. Sadly, the reviews did not match up to the actual response of my daughter. If you choose to watch this movie with your young child watch their body language and facial expressions and take the time to pause and ask them what they are feeling, they may want to turn it off (or not). In a nutshell, we did not get to discuss the overall positive messages, whatever they might be, of this movie because we never got past the overall (scary) intensity which had a much greater impact.
Kid, 10 years old August 27, 2012

AWESOME MOVIE

Great disney film i saw it and it was amazing. Tells people about to love and care for your pets. Penny and bolt were a great role modle. The villion can be creepy but noting else
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bymarceladns March 7, 2011

Ok for older kids

My daughter loves animals, so any movie where animals are the stars is a hit, my only concern with Bolt is that some scenes were a bit scary for the younger guy (3) and also the use of mean language that we don't allow at home (stupid)Other than that, the movie was fun to watch.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byJill Braunstein September 16, 2009

Too Scary for Sensitive 5 year olds

Ditto to some of what has already been said. TOO SCARY for sensitive kids. My son (5.5) didn't quite get it and had nightmares. Granted, he seems to be on the sensitive side. But, there are better options out there -- from Cars to even Madagascar II -- much less violence.
Educator and Parent of a 8 year old Written byMediaLuna December 20, 2015

First Ten mins shows warfare verbal abuse

Can't believe the other reviews said age 5 and up. I put this on for my 8 year old. The first ten mins show a movie within a movie which couldn't be distinguished from the plot. A huge action sequence includes bombs explosions, weapons and casualties the reveal that its a film does nothing to soften the violence - the villainous film director goes off spewing sarcasm and verbal abuse at a character "from the network" my son was cringing and so was I. We turned it off and I don't care if the rest of the movie is better - from what I saw it can't be redeemed. This is more negative garbage in an ocean of negative garbage that passes for children's movies these days. My heart breaks for the kindergarteners apparently subjected to this by other reviewers
Parent of a 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18+ year old Written byFIAB December 5, 2012

Good Movie

Good movie,really enjoyed it.
Kid, 10 years old August 13, 2012

Great movie and totaly appropriate.

One of my faveriote disney movies. good to watch over and over again. A bit of violence but completeley ok for ages 8 and up. 6 and up is ok with supervision (Explosves and fighting may not suit some kids)
Teen, 14 years old Written byScreennameGirl May 27, 2012

Nice Movie

This a really good, age-appropriate movie for kids of any age!
Teen, 15 years old Written bymovies4meaning April 7, 2012

Great Story, Great Role Models

Pros: Story's main theme is about family Animation is great Story line is well crafted Violence is there, but not excessive Humor is not mainstream... Pacing is great Has some educational value of how movies/tv shows are filmed Cons Complexity of story-line may be too much for very young kids to understand Mild language such as 'stupid' and 'idiot'
Teen, 13 years old Written byJessie rocks February 15, 2012

I love this!!!

Normally, I wouldn't be the lottafandomgurl for Miley Cyrus, but I think that, in this movie, she acts good. I like Penny's hair (it's red. I like red hair. Notice the hair of Jessie from Toy Story and you'll see why.). I like the animals. I like the characters, the plotline, the everything. I saw a review that was COMPLAINING about the simalarities to Toy Story, but that's the best part of the plotline, imo. Oh, well. I guess not everyone is a Toy Story nerd like me... Anyway, I think that people should watch this movie. Yeah, my review of Disney movies always says that, but it's so true.
Kid, 10 years old April 28, 2011
great film its good for a family its child friendly and is good for anyone,i love this film!
Teen, 13 years old Written byJustino4 April 23, 2011

Violent or Fun?

This movie shouldn't be watched by any kid under 6 for the violent scene at the end with Penny and Bolt. That one scene influenced the whole movie to be PG for me. If your under-six-year-old kid loves action or suspence, then this is the movie for them. If not, don't hesitate to ignore.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byBob the Parent March 26, 2011

Bolt is loaded with violence and not swell role models.

This movie is pretty violent despite what the review says. And kids this young don't understand "manufactured violence" or a "TV show within the movie". I'd say 6+, pretty iffy for 5, and definitely not for 4 or younger.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytangled August 25, 2010
it was more successful than the "Princess and the Frog," a traditional animated movie released by disney a year after this movie. It also got a higher rating a Rotten Tomatoes. I'm simply praying that disney doesn't realize this (then again, they ARE releasing their first CGI fairy tale, Tangled in November -_-...) ANYWAY, this movie is great and I recommend.