All member reviews for Bolt

Super-dog adventure is fun, age-appropriate for kids.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byajca February 22, 2010

No good for 5 year old

My five year old was terrified, and while it was clear to an adult that Bolt was an "actor" my son didn't fully get it (at least until we had to turn it off!). The beginning was way too violent and scary, it was too sad when the girl left him, and we turned it off when the cats started to scare him. Maybe it gets better from there, but my kids were terrified at this point!
Kid, 10 years old March 25, 2011

The best!

Awesome movie! way better than Chicken little!
Kid, 10 years old December 10, 2010

Good For All Ages (Depending on what you think is a little kid movie.)

I found nothing wrong with this movie. I went to see it in theatres when I was 8 and I'm a month away from being 11 and I'm always happy to watch it. The fire scene is nothing to be worried about, in my opinion. I think 3+ would be good, but, maybe 4+ for the mild peril. I'm pretty surprised it was rated 'PG'. Think about 'The Secrets Of The Nimh'. It was only rated G, and it's very bloodshed. Dissapointed at Disney for being so bloodshed not to keep the fight scene with Bolt and the other dogs. A much better way in my opinion for older kids for Bolt to find out he has no powers.
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byMamaRo October 3, 2014

If your kids are already desensitized to TV violence, maybe...

The majority of the movie is Ok for age 6, I suppose but I was appalled at the level of violence in the opening sequence and I can't believe Common Sense Media didn't give a better warning about that. Evil villains pursuing a little girl and her dog on Helicopters and motorcycles across LA freeways and then blowing up? Ticking time bombs threatening a school bus full of children? A hundred special agents and their vehicles blowing up in a cloud of rocks and dust? Only to find out it's "just a movie set"? Still, why would that be considered OK for kids that young to see at all? I would not have shown this to 6 year olds if I had known it opened with all that violence. Doesn't matter if it turns out to be "just pretend"; they still experienced it and some of them couldn't handle it.
Kid, 10 years old August 27, 2012

AWESOME MOVIE

Great disney film i saw it and it was amazing. Tells people about to love and care for your pets. Penny and bolt were a great role modle. The villion can be creepy but noting else
Kid, 10 years old August 13, 2012

Great movie and totaly appropriate.

One of my faveriote disney movies. good to watch over and over again. A bit of violence but completeley ok for ages 8 and up. 6 and up is ok with supervision (Explosves and fighting may not suit some kids)
Teen, 14 years old Written byScreennameGirl May 27, 2012

Nice Movie

This a really good, age-appropriate movie for kids of any age!
Written byAnonymous June 15, 2011

One Thing Nobody has said yet..

I really liked the movie and agree with all that you have said, but to be honest I can't believe that nobody has said anything to Mittens story and it isn't even mentioned at the top. I think it is very sad because this happens to many animals, not only to cats or dogs. If kids want an puppy, a kitten or anything like that for christmas, you must be willing to care for it too, cause usually after christmas when the animals have grown, children don't want them anymore cause they have grown and they are too much work. I'm not saying that every child acts like that but many do.. That's why I was surprised cause these things MAKE ME SO ANGRY!! .. Sorry :D
Kid, 10 years old April 28, 2011

great film its good for a family its child friendly and is good for anyone,i love this film!
Teen, 13 years old Written byJustino4 April 23, 2011

Violent or Fun?

This movie shouldn't be watched by any kid under 6 for the violent scene at the end with Penny and Bolt. That one scene influenced the whole movie to be PG for me. If your under-six-year-old kid loves action or suspence, then this is the movie for them. If not, don't hesitate to ignore.
Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written byWife-mother-law... April 2, 2011

This a terrifically fun movie but the opening sequences were way too scary for my 5 year old. He asked us to turn it off. Having seen it before, I tried to explain the;show within show; concept but he did not really get that. He watched a bit longer - even into the part were the high action sequences were over - and still asked to be excused. So he was excused and happily went to hang out with Grandma instead. My 10 year old and I continued watching and we enjoyed it enormously. The role of Mittens the cat, voiced by Susie Essman, was hilarious and touching. Great family film but sensitive five and six year olds won't be ready for it. Start at 7 if you want to make sure everyone enjoys and understands it.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bymarceladns March 7, 2011

Ok for older kids

My daughter loves animals, so any movie where animals are the stars is a hit, my only concern with Bolt is that some scenes were a bit scary for the younger guy (3) and also the use of mean language that we don't allow at home (stupid)Other than that, the movie was fun to watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytangled August 25, 2010

it was more successful than the "Princess and the Frog," a traditional animated movie released by disney a year after this movie. It also got a higher rating a Rotten Tomatoes. I'm simply praying that disney doesn't realize this (then again, they ARE releasing their first CGI fairy tale, Tangled in November -_-...) ANYWAY, this movie is great and I recommend.
Kid, 9 years old June 24, 2010

The second time i watched it it was horrible
Teen, 14 years old Written byMariodude23 May 11, 2010

HUGE improvement over Chicken Little!

This is the best strictly Disney CG animated movie made. Now unfortunately I haven't seen it in a while so I can't go into detail, but the animation is spectacular, the action is high flying, is good for kids and adults, and above all it proved that Miley Cyrus can act; a huge accomplishment.
Kid, 10 years old May 25, 2015

Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2014

A great film.

This film is slightly scary, with scenes for violence too. It can be hard to get sometimes, so some viewers can be slightly confused of how to begins- which is the scene where it's a bit scary for some views. Best for older children (9+) to watch, as it can be a little frightening. I mean, the first part of the frightening scene is to see someone strapped in to a chair, held hostage.
Kid, 10 years old September 27, 2013

Kinda cute

Bolt is a good animation for middle aged kids starting school, it is kinda cute, it does has mild violence and scary scenes but awesome all the way through. Get the tissue boxes as there is some sad scenes but a lovely happy ending.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNarwhalLover13 June 15, 2013

Wasn't Very Good

I didn't really enjoy it. Maybe its because im too old for it, or it might be because every week its on disney channel and im getting tired of it. I suggest it for mostly little boys.
Parent Written byMiranda22 March 25, 2013

Not recommended for 4-5yr old

More violent than I would have expected since recommended for a 5 yr old. After screening this one, I would not recommend for a 5 yr old (too violent) but great for 6 and up. Preview this one and decide for yourself before letting your child view.