Parent reviews for Bolt

Super-dog adventure is fun, age-appropriate for kids.

Parent of a 5-year-old Written byTedbat November 21, 2018

NOT for 5+

Explosions, rockets, gunfire, attack helicopters, tanks, etc. all in the first ten minutes. WAY too intense for young kids. Next problem, try to explain to your kids when the "movie within the movie" stops and starts. Try to explain what an "agent" is (as in Hollywood agent). My 7 and 5 year old were so confused the whole time and were needing explanations every three minutes. NOT for young kids.

Oh, and it's not very good either.

Parent of a 3 and 6-year-old Written bymammaknits May 8, 2009

Not for young kids

I agreed to my daughter's viewing of this DVD because it seemed "harmless enough." However, she couldn't stop talking about the violence: the fire, the "bad guy with one green eye," etc. And I loved the reviews saying there was no consumerism, when, infact, there is the awfully huge consumer market surrounding all that is Miley Cyrus. I was very disappointed.

Adult Written byJenniferC 40 December 9, 2017

Traumatic for some kids!

We made it through MAYBE 5 minutes of this movie before my child was traumatized and it had to be shut off. I really wish I would never have given this movie a chance. My child still talks about it and is afraid 2 years later. There are a lot of difficult things in this movie. It's not only extremely scary (the dog restrained on a stretcher while mad evil scientists are trying to inject him with a giant syringe of boiling green liquid) but there is also a great deal of emotional turmoil. This movie is one that parents reeeeally need to watch alone first!

Parent Written byg2momma July 11, 2019

Normally brave and stoic 4 year old was terrified!!

Her Dad put the movie on while he was working. It took an hour after the movie ended to get her to stop crying and shaking. She said it was SCARY!!!! And the fire and the lost dog scenes really got to her. FYI, she is not usually "sensitive" and she has been considered "tough". IMO This movie is not cool for kids under 4!!

Parent of a 5-year-old Written byTriphoss June 16, 2019

My little guy cried

The action didn't scare him, but he was so sad that Penny and bolt were seperated he had a whole body cry going beforer i realized it. We shut it off and talked about it, then he wanted to the see the rest so we watched more. Everything was good until the ending wiht the "different" penny and a "different" bolt...so a show in a show with a new white dog? He didn;t get it...i wish we'd just watched some more Super Why. The movie was fine, just not for a 5 year old who watches nothing but nature shows and PBS kids up to this point.

Parent of a 4-year-old Written byCochrcc April 2, 2019
Parent of a 1 and 3-year-old Written byChelsea P. July 26, 2018

For kids who understand what's real and not

The action scenes are scary and if recommend for a older child who understands TV isn't real and that bad guys in cartoons aren't real. The dog believes it's all real and the kiddos watching will be easily swayed by him.

Parent Written bycamusa December 21, 2009

Better than it's comparable fare

This movie was a refreshing change from some of the 'Crapagascar' type films that I have been seeing served up to children of late. There was a real story with real emotions done very well by all of the talent involved. Note too that the animation was superb and it is no surprise that John Lasseter was involved on this project. There was enough of the cutesy stuff to keep the young ones involved without getting too kitschy and enough 'meat' to keep the adults entertained. There were inside jokes abound for the faithful genre watchers though not so tough as to scare away the uninitiated. The characters were great, the facial expressions on Bolt were fantastic, the voices were believable and the pigeons and Rhino the hamster had me laughing quite a bit. This was a much tastier morsel than I had anticipated. This film is noted as being good for ages five and above, but I think conceptually it reaches for an audience a tad older. At the same time a five year old gets the main messages in the movie...at least the one sitting next to me did. Enjoyable from beginning to end. A very fun watch.

Adult Written byukytita November 13, 2019

Scary Doctor Scene

Just FYI bold has a final scene really wrong about a Doctor where it captures an evil face made by the doctor with quirurgic material in hands making it seem as if a doctor was this scary person who wants to hurt you.
Adult Written byHickmbe January 23, 2020

What is wrong with this reviewer?

Common Sense Media normally it's pretty conservative with recommended age range but this one is completely off. I read the negative reviews and I thought it would get better after it unfolded. I guess the movie is trying to go for a Truman show vibe but as another reviewer noted kids don't have that context. What they see is a dad get kidnapped by a really scary guy. A dog purposely subjected to serious anxiety because he thinks his young owner is in mortal peril. And a girl who has no agency because her "agent" not her mother has authority in doing what's best for her daughter. Seriously my son who loves Spiderverse and wasn't phased has been spontaneously crying, scared his dad won't come he from work, and wants all lights in the house on. I read the reviews and thought my kid would be able to handle it and was so so so wrong. So please parents before you think your kid can handle it watch a few minutes by yourself before subjecting your kids to the potential trauma. Please Common Sense Media please reconsider your recommendation for 5 years old on this movie.

Adult Written byRarityfan October 3, 2018

Thunder and lightning!

This ten year old cartoon for the family furry crowd includes many scenes of excitement, but a lot of heart, laugh riots like the scene stealing hamster and some cat and dog romance too. Detailed animation, and I recommend to watch this movie with a solid home cinema sound just to blow away people with the opening scene.

Adult Written byAutumn L. July 19, 2017

Saw this movie in theaters with my Grandma when I was 14. There's nothing wrong with it and it's not a princess movie. Now if 9nly they'd make a TV show with original cast.

Parent of a 2 and 3-year-old Written byMiguel M. April 26, 2017

good movie

OMG THIS MOVIE IS THE BEST AND THE COOLEST I EVER SEEN THIS MOVIE SHOULD BE LOVED BY PEOPLE SINCE THIS IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adult Written byGlenica Smith May 19, 2020

Bolt is a terrible dog

I watched this movie to learn about pets, as I am planning to adopt a puppy soon. However, this movie has greatly discouraged me from adopting anytime soon. Bolt is a very naughty puppy who runs away from home, probably on purpose. I would not recommend adopting a dog ever based on the pets' behavior in this movie.

Adult Written byRedbudbaby May 15, 2020

Traumatic, Scary!!!!

My mature 4.5 year old watched this (and my 2 year old as well). I told my husband PG is never good for them. But he didn’t listen because good sense media had it listed on the top 10 best movies for kids. WTF. Please don’t let your young kids watch this. It’s pretty much a horror film for that age.

Adult Written byHmhfowler May 9, 2020
Adult Written byMarzypan November 16, 2019

CS rating too young

I lost faith in Cs a few years ago when i let my then 7 yo watch this - i kicked myself for trusting the common sense consensus of 5+ Y’all are raising some cynical violent kids. I turned it off when the crass Hollywood villain careened in at the start. Sad if you think your kid needs to be this stressed out and overwhelmed to be entertained. We finally watched the film recently and my son (now 12 remarked that he still finds it pretty alarming - and he can handle harry potter and black panther etc) theres just something about the cynicism in this movie that is deadening.

Adult Written byJack9 September 8, 2019

It's my Favorite movie

It is sad, and it has some violence it it, but a 5 year old could handle it

Adult Written byamazingkennedys June 1, 2019

A funny dog

(Written by my just turned 8 year old daughter)...

I only started watching this movie because my favorite singer, Miley Cyrus, was in it. My favorite part was when Bolt comes up to people and begs for food. I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

Adult Written bybianca A. April 12, 2019

best movie ever!

This is one of the greatest movies ever that shows true friendship and the meaning of family, (this is shown by how much penny loves bolt). Children who be impacted by these things at a young age will carry this out more than a child who has been introduced later in life.. Anyone who says 10+ for this movie is just kidding themselves. There is mild peril and it is shown as a set.