Parent reviews for Bone Tomahawk

Bone Tomahawk Poster Image

Gory, brutal, unflinching but very good.

Very cool and very unusual film - it manages to both be a Sergio Leone western and a Eli Roth horror, and incredibly pulls both off. The gore in this film is brief but extremely intense - perhaps that's why it's so shocking; it's sudden, and escalates like a missile and then it's over. I would not recommend this film to any child, whatsoever, but very much worth watching as an adult. Just be prepared. Gore-wise, there's a number of fingers, hands and head (singular) cut off, but this is done extremely briefly, in good daylight with little preceding menace - not much worse that you'd find in a Tarantino produced exploitation film. Two scenes amps the horror factor, one by execution, another by implication: As others have mentioned, an unflinching scalping transitions into a brutal death, with little camera cuts. It is short, however. Another scene, near the end, have the protagonists walk by two pregnant women who have been blinded and amputated. While not gory, the horror factor is real and reminiscent of scenes in The Road. That said, the acting is superb, the story builds like a true journey into the heart of darkness. Worth a watch, for sure, just be ready.

Extremely violent

While good in story, the gore is extreme. If you can handle movies like Saw, you can probably handle this. But the execution scene where a person is scalped, has his scalp pegged to his throat, and bifurcated (cut in two) is extreme that I almost vomited.

Great movie— just not for children/those sensitive to violence

I think the “positive role models” category deserves a higher score. Given the situation and historical context, some characters are as brave and honorable as they are able to be— some are not, of course, and there are many villains here. But the sheriff and deputy in particular are generally lovable and willing to do what it takes to protect their community. Honestly, however, this movie isn’t for kids. I had reservations recommending it to my brother, who is in college, but ultimately did because I feel like it’s definitely worth watching for people who appreciate unique movies with great acting and dialogue. I design motion graphics and have been acting my whole life, so I’m not freaked out by most depictions of violence because it doesn’t feel “real” and I’m aware that it’s a bunch of normal people in costumes in a room filled with cameras— and I laughed so hard at “I will avenge you!!!” being repeated by everybody during the death scenes that I didn’t even notice some of the disturbing details I read about later— particularly about that “one scene” and fecal matter— but was more disturbed by the concept of the torture undergone by the two women seen after. Overall it’s a glimpse into a mind that has a lot of unique ideas, a brilliant understanding of dialogue, and the ability to shock even the most jaded of viewers— I’m not sure that those who are bothered by the depictions of violence are necessarily the target audience. Children are DEFINITELY not the target audience.

thank you Craig Zalher!

not for the fait hearted!

Well done western that isn't frequently violent, but still extremely tense and twisted

I really enjoyed Bone Tomahawk and thought it was executed very well. It is slow and builds for a while with limited action. I will say I was expecting it to be more over the top and even more grotesque. It is still very twisted, but the violence is infrequent, and the detail is saved more for the aftermath. There is little blood when characters are shot, most just fall over, and some deaths are even off screen. But, there is one jaw dropping scene that is fairly detailed involving a character being stripped, scalped, and hacked apart. There are a few other fairly gruesome parts, but again, there is a lot more dialogue and build up. There is a fairly graphic sexual scene towards the beginning. There are scenes containing nudity scattered throughout. The film is well done overall and interesting, just be prepared for a slow, less action packed and different type of western.

Best movie I've seen in a long time!

Very violent; not for kids. That being said, it is so well done that I'll recommend this movie to all that are 18+.

Pretty solid movie; probably not for kids.

This is one of the better Westerns to come out in recent years (though that's a rather slim category). Kurt Russell is great in it. The only problem with the film, really, is its length; it's very long, and doesn't quite do enough to justify it. Parents be cautioned: while the wide, wide bulk of the film features typical Western violence, there's an extremely graphic scene of a man being split in half. Without that scene, this would likely be a 13+.