All parent member reviews for Bowling for Columbine

Adult Written byScalesian April 9, 2008

Enter with a open mind...

Unlike what much of the right-wing propagandists say about him, Michael Moore know how to make a thought-provoking and entertaining film. And he does his research. His website has pages of fact-corroborating links and bibliographical information. I do not always agree with him, but when he makes a point, he gives good reasons. Reviewers at this site who have trashed this movie must be taken with a grain of salt...I am suspicious that they never actually watched a film made by Moore, but are defaming him (and his work) based on heresay. I trust the kids' reviews more.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byFinnella Flanagan October 29, 2009

Save for the older teens

A good movie, but I'm waiting till my kids are older to share it with them. Since my older son tends to be mature, I may let him see it before he's 17, but on average, I think waiting is best for most kids. There is one terrific conversation in the movie about how the miseries of high school don't matter after graduation. For any kids who feel out of place and/or bullied, it's a good message. And lots of good discussion material for kids as they approach graduation and going out into the world.
Parent Written byEnglishMummy February 3, 2012

Good to watch with your children

I watched this with my 12-year-old son who is doing a school project on gun control. There was bad language but nothing he hadn't already heard. There wasn't as much violence as I had been expecting. It is mainly Michael Moore speaking to people about guns and was absolutely fascinating, especially as we are English (living in the US) and really not used to guns. Certainly a useful resource for the project and I had no problem with my son watching it. In fact, I would have been happy for my 11-year-old son to watch it and probably even my 9-year-old daughter because there was a lot for us to discuss. I would have drawn the line at my 7-year-old daughter but only because she wouldn't understand it.
Adult Written byLowe's man June 28, 2016

incomplete but still informative

I watched this movie looking for answers about what triggered this particular mass shooting. I didn't get an answer there like I was hoping to, but I did get some answers to the problem of gun violence in general. Michael Moore is not unbiased, as he is a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association. To see a member of the NRA strongly favor stricter gun laws is commendable all by itself. Moore obviously sees the gun issue from both sides. Watching this movie may or may not give you all the answers you're looking for, but it will give you some. This movie is depressing but needed.
Adult Written byKellynicole4518 November 10, 2011

#1 Documentary for Teens of Today

Best documentary for the young people of today. Michael Moore does a fantastic job explaining why we Americans are the way we are. He asks questions and doesn't try to twist people's answers one way or the other. Purely informative. Teens viewing this will see both things they agree with as well as interesting facts about the world today that they might not have known before.
Adult Written byashadoodle April 9, 2008
This is a must see for all high schoolers. Although I think Micheal Moore is a little single minded and fairly rude, he makes a good documentary and a great point. This really goes in depth to show just how common gun violence is in America.
Adult Written bygavin m. jackson April 9, 2008

A must see for right wingers

This film is ingenious not only in its humor, but displaying the effects of gun violence on people. There are no explanations, just information and extremely powerful video. Micheal Moore is the king of attacking the right wing in an entertaining, ironic, and humorous way. He reminds me a lot of Abby Hoffman.
Adult Written byMovieMan101 April 9, 2008

BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE

A very strong sad but powerful documentary that shouldnt be missed. Sex-5: Sexual references Violence-10: Very graphic scenes Language-8: Some strong language
Adult Written bymikewrites April 9, 2008

Propaganda

Very disappointing that the CSM reviewer fails even to mention Moore's agenda, his dubious use of footage and statistics, and his hostility toward those who disagree with him. This movie is pure propaganda and to show it to children is wrong. No one should make us his mind based on hearing one very slanted side--and shame on CSM for endorsing this very slanted and dishonest piece of work simply because they (apparently) endorse Mr. Moore's goals. Should make every visitor question the judgment and motives of CSM on any movie.
Adult Written byDatou April 9, 2008
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Moore's churned out another piece of garbage!

Another crock full of lies from Michael Moore- this time taking aim at the NRA and the Second Ammendment. A sample of the lies in the film: 1) Moore is NOT from Flint, Michigan. He just likes to claim that. 2) Witches were NOT burned in America like Moore's cartoon suggests. The witches of Salem were hanged, not burned at the stake. 3) It takes more than one hour to get a gun from the bank Moore visits. They have a 3-day waiting period. Michael only shows one. 4) The comments from Charlton Heston's speech were NOT made immediately after the Columbine shootings as Moore claimed. Moore cleverly cut-and-pasted his way into making a pseudo-mentary that turns out to be just another worthless piece of junk. Oh, and on top of that, the language is absolutely filthy. If I hadn't been forced to watch it (in class), I would have left within a few minutes.
Adult Written bybellington April 9, 2008

Moore;s political agenda overshadows social message

This is not a movie for teens. Moore's political screed overshadows what social message there is here. With widespread "copycat" behavior among troubled teens before and after Columbine, why make a film like this?