Parent reviews for Breakfast at Tiffany's

Fab, but drinking, smoking, and an outdated caricature.

Adult Written byEnochB January 3, 2020

All is Well that Ends Well

This is an unusual movie in many ways. It introduces the world to a young George Peppard who plays Paul Varjak - a strikingly handsome, understated, and charming fledgling writer dependent on the largesse of a matronly and married lover (played by Patricia Neal). Audrey Hepburn plays his love interest Holly Golightly. Both are somewhat hollowed souls because of their life choices. Varjak's adulterous entanglement is matched - to an extent - by Golightly's tacit role as a messenger between an imprisoned mob boss and his consiglieri (and lieutenants) as well as her very calculated attempts at gold-digging her way up the socio-economic ladder. That they come to know each other is quite fortunate for both because they find themselves embracing true love. However, there are problems with this movie. We find that, in fact, Golightly was once married to a much older veterinarian (played by Buddy Ebsen) who appears to have married her as a juvenile after taking her and her brother in. Furthermore, Golightly as a young girl is described as an uncultured Texas bred wild thing who eventually metamorphoses into a sophisticate in the manner of My Fair Lady. It is, quite simply, a bridge too far. The dissonance it created in my mind just never went away. Next, although she is arrested for her part in a crackdown of the mob, she still insists on meeting her hopefully future husband from Brazil whose high political ambitions would be in great jeopardy if the people of Brazil knew of her criminal activities. This shows her obvious lack of judgement. However, the fact that Hepburn was nominated for an Academic Award as Best Actress is a testament to her brilliance as an actress in spite of the movie's obvious and almost unforgivable flaws.

Parent of a 10, 12, and 13-year-old Written byLucyWills June 7, 2019

Fabulous, Classic Film, But Some Parts Don't Hold Up Well

I love Breakfast At Tiffany's as much as the next person but some parts are incredibly offensive by today's standards. A white actor uses makeup to appear Asian, as well as constant smoking. I'd advise you stay away until at least 13 years old. But other than that, I find this to be a very enjoyable classic.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byHimynameislove May 19, 2019

Very Good

I dont like the rating common sense gave! It is a really good movie and I think that it is appropreate for 9 year olds and older

Adult Written byLindseyStirling... November 30, 2018

It'll stick with ya

Where do I start?! Audrey Hepburn is an amazing actress, and she acted well, but role models are not plentiful in this movie. A whole lot of kissing and a strip scene (cover your eyes!), no swearing. A few shoplifting scenes, Holly does not have an admireable lifestyle and neither does Paul. Is great but not for kids.

Parent of a 12, 15, and 18+-year-old Written byCiara-Kate Grayson November 25, 2018

Fantastic-- my favorite movie ever!

THis is by far the best old movie ever! Audrey Hepburn is the paragon of glamour- although her character isn't exactly a role model. She drinks and smokes (as you can see on the cover of the movie) and goes to a strip club- you don't see anything, though. The racist stereotype of MIckey Rooney's character is something you don't want anyone younger than a tween to see, and it is hinted that Holly is a call girl, though no one says it outright. Paul also tells Holly that since he loves her, she belongs to him, which is old-fashioned and may have been okay in the 1960s but should stay away from young viewers. This movie is a classic with a positive message to follow your heart. Absolutely five stars!

Parent of a 12 and 14-year-old Written byBringingUpBaby July 25, 2016

Glamorous and Kitschy 60's Fun

I have seen this move probably 20-30 times and used to throw themed cocktail party viewings. It's a wonderful time capsule of midcentury cocktail culture and the Mancini score is fabulous. Audrey Hepburn is elegant, offbeat and beautiful. I loved introducing my girls to it. It is not a perfect movie: Holly is in no way a role model, she goes to a strip club and makes shoplifting look glamorous. She's a high paid call girl, but it's not obvious because the censor board at the time wouldn't allow that kind of thing. No positive messages but that's not a requirement for a fun movie. I don't think the drinking and smoking are a big deal, we can start a conversation about how people didn't think smoking was unhealthy 50+ years ago. Communicate with your kids! Mickey Rooney is a problem though, he really ruins the film with his dumb and unfunny Japanese stereotype with buck teeth, thick round glasses and stupid accent. Its hard to stomach. But It's also a great teaching moment for kids because we can talk about how that was not deemed offensive during the 1960's before the Civil Rights acts and it's not ok to ever mock anyone like that.
Adult Written byLuluJade December 2, 2014

Style and Substance

Considering the movie revolves around a male prostitute and gold digging woman, this movie may not be suitable for kids no matter how veiled the references are. My niece is 7 and catches EVERYTHING then asks about it but my younger nephew might not notice a thing. That being said, I love love love this movie so much! The only part that ever bothered me was that Holly never apologized to 'Fred' for drunkenly pushing his occupation back in his face. She's doing the same thing trying to marry for money, just in a different way. However, maybe that was the writer's way of showing her innate selfishness, no matter how uncontrived it may be. I love her character, though, good and bad. Maybe that's the magic of Audrey Hepburn.
Parent of a 4 and 9-year-old Written byconnielove93 June 17, 2010

Best movie EVER

Holly Golightly is an amazing role model. She is independent and elegant and FUNNY. The movie should be seen by all. It's funny without being racy, sexy without being explicit and moving without being preachy. Holly is a little materialistic but she knows how to get what she wants. She wants to be rich to acheive her dreams, some may say this is wrong but everyone wants to live a great lifestyle and hopefully kids will pick up on this and learn that you have to work hard in this world to get your dreams. What else could anyone hope for.

Parent of a 14-year-old Written byTsion April 5, 2010

Hilarious, Moving Comedy!

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANYS was one classic in a long string that I hadn't seen. So, I picked it up and gave it a try. This is a marvelous movie that manages to be funny without racy, sexy without being explicit, and moving without being preachy. It's a perfect pick if your teen is looking for a clean comedy in a sea of raunch. However, there are a few parts to be concerned about for younger viewers. Up top, if you look, I said that messages were both positive and negative. That might seem contradictory, but let me explain. Some parts of the movie promote negative morals: Mickey Rooney plays an extremely stereotyped Japanese American to over-exaggerated excess. However, if you explain this to your teen, it shouldn't keep them from seeing the movie. Also, scenes in the film depict over-the-top partying with drinking and drunkeness, and also shoplifting. These are the main cautions before viewing this film. Make sure your kid is mature enough to realize it's just a movie. On the plus side: the two main characters in the film help each other and stick with each other through thick and thin, and, before the end, they discover themselves and their love for each other. There are some sexual references. It is practically spelled out in bright, flashing letters that Holly and Paul are both paid people (Holly gets paid for "trips to the powder room" and Paul sleeps with a married woman). You see a clothed stripper on stage, then peoples' faces as they watch her (you don't see anything explicit). Characters talk about how much she must get paid. But, despite these verbal references, no nudity or sex is ever shown or hinted at. There is no language or violence.

Parent of a 9 and 14-year-old Written bylioness57 April 9, 2008

Stereotyping and sexual references not right for today's tweens

A favorite movie of mine from long ago, I found it excruciating to watch with my 12 year old daughter and we decided to turn it off. She was extremely shocked and troubled by Mickey Rooney's insensitve characterization of a Japanese man and it was painful for me to watch too. The sexual innuendo was more explicit than I remembered and in many ways made us both more uncomfortable than the fleeting kiss/groping scenes that are standard fare in today's PG-13 movies. We decided to turn it off. So be a little cautious with this old favorite with your tweens. It's a more adult movie than you probably remember.