Parent reviews for Brene Brown: The Call to Courage

Brene Brown: The Call to Courage Poster Image

No reviews yet.

Add your rating

Entertaining and informative

Thoughtful and thought provoking précis of Brown’s research into shame, vulnerability, and whole-hearted living. In conversations I’ve had with people about this special, none have been as critical as the reviewer on this site. It’s a shame, as it has greatly reduced the Rotten Tomatoes score. It’s also a bit mystifying. Of all the criticisms one might throw at Brené Brown, incoherence isn’t one of them. She is refreshingly rigorous in her claims and conclusions, and successfully avoids trite self-help cliches.

2 people found this helpful.

Live Life Fully

Brene' gives you tools and encourages you to step out of your comfort zone and face life head on. Watch it and you will be entertained while learning. She's awesome!!

1 person found this helpful.

A talk that applies to all of us

A must watch, touching on a multiple, relevant issues of our modern day society in relation to being authentic, kind, and viewing all difficult topics through a lens of compassion and understanding. If Brené waved a wand and all of her knowledge was cast into each of our minds and every mind globally we would live in completely eutopian world.

A great watch for parents and older teens...

This special was funnier and deeper than I hoped it would be. There were so many great lessons that I picked out that I want to keep learning and tons of things I wanted to discuss with my husband right after I watched it! You can check out our full family review, the lessons we took away and discussion questions for after the special on our blog. Don't let the little bit of cussing and the deep topics of conversation scare you away from this- it's an an encouraging and motivational talk!

Best Special I've Seen in Years

Moms and dads from every walk of life benefit from the courage and wisdom shared in this special. Dr. Brown invites you in with her story-telling and hooks you with her authentic view of vulnerability as a strength to be cultivated. She shares how creativity, innovation, equity, inclusivity, ethical decision making, and problem-solving are impossible without vulnerability. I was truly saddened and disappointed to see Common Sense's review of this special as I heartily disagree. I've watched it now several times and am planning to watch it with my 13 and 15-year-old as I hope to spark courage in each of them. Though Dr. Brown does swear during the special, it's barely worse than what I currently see on network television and certainly not something that should detour you from sharing it with high-school-age children.

Don't let a few cuss words turn you away.

Brené's message is powerful: To live the most full, authentic lives, to engage and connect with people in a real way, requires the courage to be vulnerable. Courage and vulnerability aren't opposites, they're linked. You can't have one without the other. There's so much to unpack in the show, but I think every teen should see it. Real talk about how valuable you are as YOU, how you can belong as yourself instead of struggling to fit in and be like everyone else. Its great. Yes, there's a bit of cussing, but nothing vulgar. Don't miss it. Every teen needs to see this. Every adult too.