All parent member reviews for Bridge to Terabithia

Adult Written bynbcoug April 9, 2008
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byKepler March 22, 2010

Powerful. Beautiful. Deals with death and loss head on. Parents should preview.

Emotional maturity is an absolute pre-requisite for anyone watching this movie. Jessie's friend Leslie is an extraordinarily gifted girl, full of imagination and love. Her death was wrenching and upsetting to this adult to the point that I have never been able to watch the movie a second time, nor have I shared it with my children or spouse. This is a wonderful, beautiful, powerful film, but it raises disturbing issues of responsibility and dealing with personal loss. Parents should view it before sharing it with children of any age.
Adult Written byPaladin October 25, 2009

This is an excellent movie. It tells a good story, the characters are compelling and realistic. The two main characters Jess & Leslie, as well as the two teachers Miss Edmunds (music) & Mrs Myers (English) {especially when she emotionally speaks of loss to Jess} provide excellent role models for children and young teens. Although I wish the character of Leslie did not die, and the story went a different direction; it is the very depth of loss that gives this story power. The death of my mother before I turned 13, as well as several other deaths that occured when I was near the age of the characters, clouds my objectivity I think. There are many good lessons of redemption, beyond the main plot. Such as with the class bully (Janice) and between Jess and his father, and of course Jess and May Belle.
Parent Written bysuperheromom July 20, 2009

Main character's death is revolting.

This film's main character, a fantastic girl,who's brave, imaginative, athletic, and a great friend, simply dies. What kind of message is that? This movie is more than terrible, our family finds it revolting . My 5 y.o.daughter said: I wanted to be like her (in other words, the message is: if you're like her you'll die). Although it's rated for General Audiences, its themes require maturity to be processed.
Adult Written bySheriHarris April 9, 2008

Too sad for kids

This movie is so sad my 9 year old son cried himself to sleep. The death of a main character is not appropriate in a children's movie. I found it sad and beautiful, but I am an adult. Also, I checked the Disney web page to see if there were warnings about the tragic circustances and there was not. I am very angry with Disney for putting my children through this experience.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMangoFlamingo May 3, 2010

I'd wait a bit longer than age 8....

I just finished watching this movie alone as I was planning on showing it to my kids on the weekend (nearly 6 & 8). I thought it was quite cute, a bit scary (due to the imagination characters) but generally really good...until the death. I was crying my eyes out...sooooo I think I'm going to wait a few years to let them watch it. At least age 9, but possibly 10...
Parent Written byMad Dad 2 September 7, 2011

Your kids will cry

They killed Leslie for no reason. Walt Disney is rolling in his grave over this one.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byslantmaster March 20, 2011

It is a good movie that even parents could watch with their child. The only offputting thing is the death of a character but it's not all that bad and it isn't actually shown in the film, sort of the same thing going on as "My Girl"
Parent of a 11 year old Written bytishtay February 16, 2010

Great story with los of adventure. It might be a bit sad for kids to watch the loss of a main and dear character. It is a good story with some really great messages
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 29, 2009

this movie was....

this movie was great but very sad! one of the main charecters die (off screen) but it is no less dramatic and sad.
Parent Written bylmforbes July 1, 2014

Heartstring overload

Though it is a good movie I think a child 11 or under must be judged as to there ability to cope with a sudden death of one of the main characters in order to be allowed to watch it. Even at my age it was a difficult moment to get through and I am normally stoic with such events.
Parent Written byCaring good dad July 6, 2013

Not or kids

The subject matter and main plot twist is incredibly disturbing and unexpected in a PG movie. Bottom line, not for kids.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byLupak January 28, 2013

Awesome, sad...one of the best movies ever...

So sad...I cried so much. (Spoiler Alert): Leslie dies in the end. So sad...
Adult Written bywonder dove September 11, 2012

A real tear jerker!

Bridge to Terabithia is a wonderful film for both kids and adults. It's educational, inspiring and beautiful! When I first viewed this movie I knew I had to buy it. It deals with bullying, fitting in and making new friends. It teaches you to believe in yourself and in others, nothing is impossible. Usually the hardest people to love are the ones who need it the most - I think that's what all bullies crave, acceptance, so they hurt others to make them feel taller. This story was extremely sad, it even had my brother (33 years old) cry every single time he watched it! This movie has a lot of heart. Don't pass on it, you and your children will enjoy it many times over.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byBethesda Mom July 28, 2012

Horrible shocking ending -- this is not for kids

The movie lacks special effects -- it's about imagination but even the audience needs to imagine-- thus, today's kids who are so used to astounding special effects are likely to find this slow and dull. But the most important fact is the horrifying and pointless death of the female costar. Why?? What a downer. I was depressed for days after seeing this and would never let a child see such a movie.
Parent Written byitsawonderfulworld December 27, 2011

pathetic and not for kids!

We were all sitting enjoying a nice movie for the kids (5, 8 and 10) when one of the main characters dies out of the blue in a cloud of guilt for the other character leaving several loose ends. The kids (and I) had our mouths open like 'no... you're kidding, right..seriously?!" Pathetic!! The kids were quite traumatized, as was I!!
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

ok I guess

This movie is very moving. Although it is geared towards children. There is a very sad scene in the film I couldn't help but cry at. Maybe watch first and see if your child could handle it!
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byMKCC December 23, 2009

OK

I am 8 and I watched the movie.I think it would be very hard on kids under 8.And one of the main characters die.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byLChan October 21, 2009

Like it, friendships theme appeal to kids. I will not avoid the discussion on death, because many children have such experiences. But, we need to caution them before screening this movie, and tell them that it is ok to walk away or talk to someone about the discomfort.
Adult Written byservantsam July 23, 2009

Beware Not As Advertised

I got this movie out because it is advertised as a family fantasy giving impression of fairy tale action - It is nothing of the sort and I feel that I was tricked into watching it. Although it was a great movie, I’d like to have the option to choose a sad or happy film. The cover does not indicate any upset and I am still traumatised by the devastating events that took place in the movie. Yes it depends on what type of person you are, but if I'd have been forewarned I would not have taken it out at this time and was very disappointed. Although I can see the benefits it has to raise topics of discussion with children about life issues, this would have to be pre-planned and I found the movie content opposite to its packaged description and do not really want to see it again unless I'm in a crying mood or wish to get a subject across to my niece. Incidentally if a child has no compassion nothing not even a sad movie is going to change them.