Parent reviews for Broken Flowers

Minimalist melodrama for older teens+.

Based on 1 review

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 December 15, 2014

Slow dramedy has subtle acting, great music

This was my first time watching a movie by Jim Jarmusch, the prominent indie director apparently known for making films with extended long silences. This movie is no exception, especially when you see Bill Murray not doing a ton of emoting at first, and mostly being very catatonic. This movie has a great premise though, and that's what keeps you invested. These women are all eccentric in their own way, even the seemingly normal ones. I wish Jarmusch would've done more with Tilda Swinton, an actress of her caliber shouldn't be wasted. I also wish he wouldn't hit us over the head with some things: yes a guy named Don Johnston is watching a movie based on the character Don Juan, and, oh, would you look at that, he was quite the Don Juan himself? Also, the...uh...very comfortable daughter of one of the women he dated is named Lolita, and she's very clearly hitting on Don. We get it, Jim. Otherwise, this has a great soundtrack, and when you adapt to Jarmusch's silent style, Murray's deadpan silences and unemotional expressions actually take on a great deal of meaning. There's just one scene that makes this more for older teens...and it features Miss Lolita.