All parent member reviews for Brother Bear

Educator and Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written bynancylorel February 25, 2010

A classic

In our home, this is a classic. We love it!! And it's one of those movies that you, as adult, have to see it with your kids and DON'T ever get bored of it. A great movie!!
Parent Written bywatchdog_mama April 25, 2014

Wonderful movie! I am so surprised by the CSM review above. This is a lovely story!

I love Common Sense Media and usually agree with their reviews, but I was puzzled by their take on "Brother Bear." I think it's a wonderfully earnest, touching story about family, responsibility, and love. I'm also thrown off by CSM's headline that this is for "kindergarteners only." My oldest is four so maybe I don't have a full sense of the kindergarten age group, but I do know that I wouldn't watch this with my child until I was ready to have some serious conversations about death -- a major theme in this movie. I can see it being helpful or inspiring to a kid experiencing loss, if the child is the right age. From start to finish, loss of immediate family members and threat of mortal peril are part of the story. As cute as those bears and moose may be, this is a parable with some heavy themes. I think that would make it a substantive, entertaining, and meaningful film for kids the right age, but I wouldn't share it just any preschooler or even kindergartener. I think the movie raises some relevant and kid-accessible points about perspective, fear, and perceptions of good guys and monsters. The portrayal of the Inuit culture is beautiful -- I don't know enough about them to say whether it's on point, but I thought it was a wonderful community to get to know. The music is great, heartfelt but not corny. I look forward to sharing this with my son someday. I'd feel good about sharing this movie with a kid who is ready for it. It's full of humor, entertainment and magic, while still being thought-provoking and good fodder for some important conversations. I'm not a big Disney fan of most Disney movies, but this one is making me rethink my stance.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

How is this a 2 star movie?

They said this is a "lackluster story only for kindergarteners". But could this statement be further from the truth? I think not; if anything, I DON'T think it's for kindergarteners. Because they might get scared. But it's actually a really good story with a heart and moral. The most sickening thing about them giving it 2 stars for me is because they gave Coraline or any of that junk 4 stars? This is a classic Disney morality tale, kind of like Pinocchio in its own way. Of course it really is the most like Bambi or The Lion King. And like the original Charlotte's Web and Dumbo, it teaches about animal empathy. My screen name here is advocatewhatsright, and that's what this movie really does. Overall: 9.5/10 I pity the person who reviewed it. They don't seem to get it. I was FOR SURE the rating would be 4/5 like it is for the similar movies. It's almost like the review is the complete opposite of the truth.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Whole family loved it!

When Brother Bear first came out in the theaters, I took my two sons, ages 12 and 6 to see it. We all were laughing through almost the whole movie...if it wasn't something the two bears were doing, it was at the moose. We enjoyed the movie so much that the following week, we took my friend and her daughter, age 11 to see it also. They enjoyed it just as much. I would wholeheartedly suggest this movie to anyone who would like to have an enjoyable evening with their family.
Adult Written byMordecai04 March 6, 2014

Childhood Movie

This was one of my favorite disney as a kid and recently after re-watching it, I think it still has merit. An underrated film, it focuses on other types of love. It's nice to see a disney film were the character isn't paired off. My main complaint is the moose, personally I think they detract from the film more than they add. Overall I'd say it's enjoyable for kids and adults alike.
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bykvirgin April 9, 2008

My 5 year old barely remembers it....

He thought it was fun at the time, but then had no interest in talking about it later. Had no memory of the characters and turned down an offer from Uncle to see it again.Not worth the time....
Adult Written bykirireeves April 9, 2008

How do you explain revenge to a toddler?

Very delightful--my toddler loved the bears and the magical parts. He also has a brother and liked the 'brother' roughhousing. One part that bothered me was how to explain the concept of revenge to my toddler. He kept talking about the mean bear and even yelled "Get Him" when the middle brother tried to kill the bear. Yikes. But, I decided that it was probably not a concept my toddler would get, although it would offer a great chance to discuss this issue with an older child--to help them see that there are always 2 sides to every situation. So--while the little ones will love this movie because of all the fun animal parts--my best suggestion is to downplay the violent side by pulling out the lollipop at that point. :)
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Parent of a 4 year old Written bygabrielsparents October 3, 2010
We've seen a lot of Disney, maybe too much, but this movie has captivated my 4.5 year old. He loved it as a 3 year old (we skipped some of the scarier parts) and now that he's approaching 5 he's taken a new interest in it. We love the bits of humor (though the "shut up" bit could be shorter), the characters are so well played and themes so well rendered that it has helped our son learn how to ask questions. The story is pretty simple, but the message is complex. It is intriguing to little ones and open-minded adults alike. The messages of brotherhood and love, of the futility of revenge, of ultimate inclusion in the family of beings, and the timeless truth that we can still be in contact with our ancestors by being in positive contact with each other, here and now, are all themes that resonate with each viewing. Interestingly enough, without judgment, our son seems to have Our son keeps asking interesting and probing questions and if we parents take the time and open our eyes, we can answer the questions or say to them :let's see if we can figure that out together", we'll be better off than assuming a movie is a baby sitter. This film actually may be one of Disney's most underrated films.
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byabchis November 17, 2009

Complex, death-driven yet silly humour

I was not keen on this movie, as I started watching with a 3-year-old. Too complex, lots of death (including a mother bear, whose baby has to come to terms with her death in one scene) in early stages, and lots of silliness that make light of a sad underlying story - too long before you get to the message.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byParatrooperWife October 20, 2009

You Can Easily Skip This Disney Film...

My 6 and 4 year old kids like this movie, but I really don't care for it. There is the death of the mother bear and brother that some parents might not like their little ones to see. But what I really didn't care for was the nasty attitude and horrible outlook that Keeni had through half the movie was a downer, then a couple of rams got on this back and forth "SHUT UP!" kick that was way too long and unnecessary. My kids think it's funny, but that language is not allowed in our home. Koda, the group of bears at the river and the two moose are the only breath of fresh air I got throughout the movie. Disney tried, but I think they missed the mark on this one.
Adult Written bytdickensheets July 12, 2009

Brother Bear

I saw this movie. I like it. Kendi have to tell Koda what happed to his mom.
Adult Written bydpwerner April 9, 2008
Brother Bear is a nice movie for small children. My 6 year old found it a little scary because the early scenes show a young man being killed by a bear and a bear being killed by a young man. Eventually, the young man discovers that he has killed a mother bear and befriends her small cub. The overall message is one of love, tolerance and understanding.
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008
Adult Written byjubajen April 9, 2008
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byJulie St-F March 18, 2015

Wish this was more entertaining

A much better Indigenous story than Pocahontas ... unfortunately, it fails a bit on execution. The story has some wonderful messages about family, "manliness" and revenge. Very similar to those in Big Hero 6, unfortunately, the story is nowhere near as entertaining. On the plus side, as Indigenous tales go- Disney did a much better job here. Modern day Indigenous communities in the Northwest Coast consider bears to be like family, and they are not hunted. Many indigenous communities also do believe that humans can have animal spirits, and there are also legends around shape shifters.
Adult Written byForHim April 9, 2008

innocent fun

I didn't like the very beginning where a bear dies and a man dies but if these events didn't occur there wouldn't be a movie. I really like the animals talking and showing how friendships can occur with the most diversified backgrounds. The humor used in the film was very innocent and funny. My children are 10 and 12 and really enjoyed it.