Parent reviews for But I'm a Cheerleader

But I'm a Cheerleader Poster Image

My mother and I watched this movie to see what it was about. However we did not like the results of the film. I found this movie to be extremely offensive especially if I’m a lesbian. I know it was suppose to be satire but it went too far.

High camp at its best!

Yes on so many levels! RuPaul's performance is definitely the stand out!! The material, the tone and the aesthetics of this film lends to the fantastical, funny and satirical edge the film excellently portrays. Lyonne and DuVall know what type of film they are in and the supporting cast is up to the task. From Moriarty to Stole to Moll everyone is on the same page to uplift queer stories. High camp at its best!

Overall ok

Really humorous and everything but it's a but inaccurate in my opinion because some of the people that are bay or lesbian are stereotypical and it can depict them incorrectly but honestly considering it's a 1990's movie it a good movie in general.

no positive role model!?

I find It actually incredibly offensive that CSM gave this movie no points for positive role models and very few for "great message". "But I'm a Cheerleader" is definitely a mature movie. that being said, the only reason I can think of for not considering the main character (and some of the supporting cast) great role models, is good old fashion homophobia.

Great film!

I recommend it to everyone!

Great way to bring up current topics with your kids

I love this movie, it was one of my favorites as a teen and I occasionally watch it now as an adult. Yes there is some kissing and implied sexual contact between people of the same sex. However it's funny and can lead to great conversations about how other families and your family views homosexuality, how the characters feel when their parents send them away and how they feel when they're embarrassed by others in the homosexual community. From a religious stand point you can have a great discussion about God and what the bible states about homosexuality.

Wonderful coming-of-age movie!

This is a great coming-of-age movie with positive messages for teens. The film contains issues of sexuality and romance between teens, with one scene of kissing with partial nudity. This is a positive and in many ways innocent film and encourages self-confidence, self-acceptance, honesty and compassion. It's fun to watch and eloquent in it's ability to somehow make light of a heavy issue of being young in a world that won't accept you. The movie is humorous, quirky and and independent -- a nice break from mind-numbing hollywood blockbusters that leave you feeling empty. In contrast, this film is fun and thought-provoking. If you are against homosexuality, or "afraid your child will turn gay", maybe you should watch the film and learn a little more about people who are different than you. It's deeply troubling that this movie had an NC17 rating while movies riddled with immature and inappropriate sexual behavior --like American Pie 2-- were rated PG-13. See "This Film is Not Rated" for more on the hypocrisy of the MPAA.

One of my favorites.

This movie isn't just about homosexuality, it's about love. One of the characters gets sent to a camp after being accused of being a homosexual by her friends and family so that she can become straight. Though that plot seems to be quite dark, the theme is poked fun of and is funny. The sets and props are a riot. A few scenes include masturbation and sex, however they are non graphic, and tastefully done. The best message is to be who you are and love who makes you happy. Would recommend this movie to any family with older teenagers.

NOT as much sex as CSM states. Lovely, funny movie.

Oh, come on, CSM! I think it's very offensive that you gave it 5 lips for sexual activity. I've seen you give considerably fewer lips to movies that were MUCH more sexually explicit. I bet if this had been about a straight couple, it would have received no more than 3 lips. I loved this movie. Unless you're a religious nut who believes that gays should be converted to straight, you will probably enjoy it too. It was pretty tasteful for a movie about teen sexuality, and I would feel comfortable letting fairly young teens/tweens watch it. A lot of the messages rang very true to life, but the humour keeps the movie from hitting too close to the nerve. The main character was pretty, smart, and Christian, and totally oblivious to her sexuality. This is so true for so many people, especially women! I think this movie rests close to my heart because I understand what it's like to spend decades of your life trying to hide or change or ignore who you are. The film helped me realise that you can't choose to be straight; if you're not straight, you can choose to be happy and honest, or you can choose to be miserable, deceptive, and lonely. This is a movie that all teens, especially those unsure of their sexuality, should really watch.