Kid reviews for Calvary

Mature material in thoughtful, powerful Irish drama.

Based on 1 review

Based on 1 review
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah September 5, 2014

A bleak and fascinating look at human sympathy and forgiveness.

Billing this as a black comedy almost does this film a disservice. Sure, there is dark humor laced here and there, but it's very brisk and never really dwelled on, and that helps this be one of the bleakest movies of the year, striking a chord almost like The Rover did earlier this year. The film is successful as a whodunnit, but that isn't its main focus. As we see these townspeople and their lives, the attention isn't on whether or not we suspect them of conspiracy to commit murder, but we instead peek into their character and ask ourselves how much we could forgive each and every one of them, almost out of empathetic pity. The film's message is brave - more or less that forgiveness could be called overrated - but very true, whether you want to admit it or not. Its tone and nearly-fully-overcast color palette compliment this as well. Brendan Gleeson is terrific, and witnessing his sort of (de)evolution as this character is almost magical in an odd way, given how effortlessly he slips into character. You forget that you're watching someone act, and that's something I almost never say. I could see myself thinking about this movie longer than I would most others. It has the ingredients of being a slow-burn film: the sense of relaxation you get watching it just because it feels like watching life unfold, the landscapes and colors, and the fact that I'm getting more out of this movie by writing about it after seeing it. 8.7/10, great, two thumbs up, far above average, etc.