Parent reviews for Candleshoe

Old-school Disney treasure hunt is fun but dated.

Adult Written byRPaulson February 23, 2020

Fun Family Film with Treasure Hunt

Not really any objectionable content, save for an adult slapping a child on the face at the start of the movie. My daughter asked why the bad guy kept saying “bloody” and I had to explain that it’s a (mild) British curse word.

Terrific performances by all actors involved, especially Jodie Foster and David Niven.

Of the 1970s era Disney films, this is a rare standout that has held up against time. Our daughter was not bored. She LOVED it and asked to watch it again a week later. I was astonished! I think the treasure hunt is just simple enough for kids 6+ to understand and feel clever about.

The interpersonal dynamics of the kids in the movie are relatable and clearly understood. There’s no fluff in the movie - it’s well written and directed.

Lots of good messages: honesty, loyalty, friendship, and family are emphasized a lot. So is teamwork to a lesser extent. The hero starts out a thief but gradually learns to be honest and do the right thing because friendship and love of family win over deceit.

Really a good movie for the whole family. I remember really liking it as a kid because it had all the stuff I liked back then: pirate treasure hunt, sword fights, mystery solving, trains, comedy, etc.

Adult Written byEstera T. January 28, 2020

A lovely film

This film is charming and wholesome. Jodie Foster's performance is great! The characters are very lovable and the story is interesting and meaningful. I find the authenticity in this film refreshing.