All parent member reviews for Cars 2

Parent Written bykitterlee June 25, 2011

Way too violent

This movie is extremely violent. I can NOT believe it got a G rating. There are so many guns, machine guns, bombs, etc. Many cars die, one is tortured and killed, and they try to kill Lightning McQueen. With the original Cars having such a huge little kids following, I really don't know what Pixar was thinking, taking it in this direction. They have shown such talent with other films, like they could pull off anything. They could have done the Bond theme without the violence, it could've been a lot of fun. Why did they have to stoop? I'm really disappointed in Pixar. This is a really bad kids movie.
Parent Written byDizzycat June 24, 2011

Should not be G rated!

For a PIXAR movie this is very disappointing. This movie should not be rated G!! Think James Bond with all the violence, guns, and deaths. You will see several cars killed and even see car "body parts" floating in the water. Also a car is tortured for information and then blown up. I really do not know how this movie got a G rating, but beware. Both my 4 year old and 6 year old ended up in the laps of adults due to being scared and I am not really how much they even understood of the actual story line. Personally, I feel like PIXAR just sold out....it is a sad day. This movie lacks the originality and heart felt story of all the other PIXAR movies.
Adult Written byKatakama June 24, 2011

Extremely Disappointing

Today is a sad day that nobody thought would come, Pixar has successfully made a bad movie. There's no emotions except for anger, shame, and arrogance, the story makes no sense, all the entertainment value is expected to come from violence and stupidity, and worst of all you feel no attachment towards any of the characters. Also, torture and death have no place in a G rated Disney/Pixar movie. Only young kids will really enjoy it, because anyone who attempts to figure out the story will be confused. But what really caught me off guard, as a multilingual person, was the use of a japanese comment that almost always translates as " What the F" or "What the He**". That does not belong in a childrens movie no matter what language it's in. I recommend not seeing this movie, but I doubt you'll be able to if you have young children. As I said before, only young children will enjoy it, and parents will enjoy when it's finally over. I would also like to point out to the kids rating this with 5 stars, that they should not be doing so without actually seeing the movie.
Parent Written byKilikina June 24, 2011

Too scary and violent for little ones

This movie should not be rated G. There are some good things about it, which I'll review first: Pixar comes through with their usual great animation. McQueen is embarrassed by his best friend, Mater, and tells him to stop acting like he's in Radiator Springs. Later he realizes that he is supposed to love and accept his best friend just the way he is. Lots of funny tie-ins and one-liners. Adults catching the little side jokes will be amused. Slapstick humor was much appreciated by our 8 year old child. Michael Caine is great! The bad: This show is very violent. In the opening scenes, the first guns come out and it just goes on from there. Guns everywhere! There are several violent deaths. A secret agent is horrified to see his colleague has been crushed into a cube. One car falls to his death, smashing into bits after hitting the sea from a great height. Another car is tortured when its gasoline is superheated and he is boiled from the inside out, eventually exploding. One scene depicts a car cornered in the bathroom, beaten and taken away. He is the one who is later tortured and killed. The bad guys continually threaten to kill other cars, and of course try to follow through on the threat. Characters are placed in grave danger of being crushed, shot, lasered, or bombed. Some escape, while others do not. A bomb is strapped to another character who is unable to remove it or deactivate it. Bottom line: Adults and older children may enjoy this, as it is entertaining and amusing. However, the happy Cars whose biggest problem is a beat-up road are gone, replaced by Cars who must deal with terrifying life and death scenarios. Cars 2 is a pretty good action movie, but not a great movie for the younger kids.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byaint it June 25, 2011

Not for younger children

Very disappointing. Especially to my 4 year old. The story line was hard for him to follow and I don't think he really even did. He kept asking if the cars that were killed, tortured, or hurt were going to get fixed. I opted out of seeing it in 3D due to some of the reviews I had read, saying it may be too intense for the little ones. I wouldn't recommend this one to someone with little ones, but I know how insistent they can be about something they want to do. And there has been a lot of hype for this movie. At least try to wait for DVD so they can view it in the comfort and security of their own home; maybe it won't seem so intense or scary, or mean, for that matter.
Parent Written byMominater June 25, 2011

I have seen this movie. Do not take your kids to this movie!

Let me start by saying I HAVE seen the movie. I have never reviewed a movie here before but was so disturbed by this movie I felt as a parent I have a responsibility to other parents to warn them about this film. THIS MOVIE GLORIFIES GUNS IN A WAY THAT SHOULD BE DISTURBING TO ANY PARENT! I do not understand how it got a G rating. I took my 6 year old and my teenage sons and at one point in the movie even my teenager leaned to me and said "mom maybe we should leave. He (the 6 year old) shouldnt be watching this". I am shocked and saddened that Disney took characters meant for kids (that our family loved) and turned them into something else. Scenes of torture, intense gun violence, explosions, death of cars, and the constant reference to tomater as the idiot and fool was not what I thought we were going to see. My child was afraid at times and did say he liked the movie but "the new cars were scary and mean". This movie is not for kids and is the first movie I have seen in a very long time that I feel this strongly about. We have waited for this movie for months and even more than disapointed I am alarmed that this amount of violence was even in a kids movie. DO NOT SEE!
Parent of a 4, 6, 8, and 10 year old Written bymichael64 June 25, 2011

I am in shock at all the gun violence in this movie. Terrible storyline for kids to try and follow as well.

After having been so impressed by the original, I was genuinely shocked and disappointed by all the gun violence in this movie...cars are killed, weapons are everywhere, and the movie simply feels like one bad, long car chase. Shame on you Pixar and shame on the Motion Picture Assocation for giving this movie a G rating...not to mention the storyline is simply too complex for any little kid to follow. I could go on and on but don't want to waste my breath on this awful, awful movie. Pixar has finally made a bad movie and it is called Cars 2. I am still in shock at all the violence. Nothing at all like the original.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bypopcorn2 June 25, 2011

This film left me shaken, not stirred.

The second Cars movie is a spy film. My almost 5 year old son seemed to love it. And that was the point of our first family trip to the movies. My husband and I, however, cringed through the whole movie. The gun violence is over the top and completely out of place in a movie franchise marketed to preschoolers. There are even a few deaths in the form of explosions. We loved the first Cars movie: No villain, no violence, no peril, positive messages...The second movie took all the charm and character from the first movie and burned it right out of the script with a flame thrower. If there is one redeeming point it is that Mater entertainingly delivers on being himself, and for that reason becomes the hero of the movie. Just make sure you mind the burning shrapnel as you dig for the positive message.
Adult Written bylmkramer507 June 25, 2011

007 film, not a cute kids' story

I was really disappointed in this film. The Cars humor I loved from the first film was only evident in the last 10 minutes when they returned to Radiator Springs; at that point I actually laughed. For the rest of the movie, I was holding my breath, thinking, "I can't believe this is so violent!" I'm not sure how this received a G rating; if it had been people instead of cars being shot and blown up it would have been PG-13 at the very least. And there's a lot of shooting and blowing up going on. My 8- and 10-year-old boys loved the movie; my 7- and 5-year-old girls did not. A young child (ages 2-4) for whom Lightning McQueen is a beloved character could well be upset at the assassination attempt on McQueen, as well as Mater being one second from being blown up by a bomb attached to him. Older kids will be better able to discern that this is fiction, but for little ones, it could be difficult. I was really disappointed in this movie. We rarely see films in the theater, and even more rarely on opening night, and I'm sad that I wasted our money on this one.
Parent Written byCrow2011 June 24, 2011

Disappointingly Violent

We are always careful about what we let our sons, age 7 and 4, watch. They are very sensitive to violence and always scared of "bad guys". The nice thing about the first Cars movie was that there was nothing in it that would frighten them. The first Cars movie was also well-written and engaging, with likable characters and a positive message about friendship. Today we saw Cars 2 because both of my boys have practically been counting down the days until it opened; I don't think there was any way we could have gotten out of going. However, I was terribly disappointed with this new installment. It is surprisingly violent, right from the beginning, with shooting, explosions, and characters tied up and held hostage. My 7 year old was happy with the story - he enjoyed the secret agent / spy storyline - but my 4 year old seemed mystified and bored and scared all at the same time. The story is convoluted and annoying and the movie felt too long and slow. It seems like the Cars franchise is being rebranded for marketing to an older group of children (Notice how the video game is cautioned for age 10 and up.) I think this movie should have had a PG rating for the violence, and I wish it would have had a better story as well.
Parent Written byAngieMomof3 June 24, 2011

Cars meets James Bond.

VERY James Bond action. More gun violence than I expected after reading the reviews. The bad guys are very damaged in the movie, close to death. It was interesting that the cars have 'cocktails' instead of oil like before. My 6 year old was entranced; my 4 and 2 lost interest in the movie. I thought it was very classy for Disney that they didn't bring back Doc, instead it is mentioned that he is gone.
Parent Written byJMama99 July 7, 2011

Hold off till 6+

Very disappointing sequel - not sure what Pixar was thinking here. Terrible storyline for small kids, involving lots of cars shooting each other and a car death or two. My 4 1/2 year old spent a lot of time covering his eyes from the anticipation of violence.
Adult Written byaspiemum June 24, 2011

NOT NOT NOT a "G" rated film!

My kids are big "Cars" fans...and we are big Disney and Pixar fans...that said, despite the reviews from other sites, I took my girls to see Cars 2. This is NOT, I repeat NOT, a "G" rated film! I have never seen so many weapons in a child's film before! This film does an excellent job of paying tribute to James Bond films. But if I wanted my child to see James Bond, that's what we'd watch. There are some good lessons on friendship and being yourself. But not enough to counter the level of violence. There are a few cute moments that go by in a flash that "tip their hat" to some fun culturally iconic moments of the last 10 years or so, and the technology behind the animation is quite impressive! But overall, a very disappointing experience.
Adult Written byTheUltamite November 3, 2011

Boring boring boring

I hated the first Cars movie, it had poor writing, characters, poor everything. This movie is even worse, by adding the confusing spy twists, this film ends up being silly, but not the Looney Tunes silly, but the "wow. . . this is sad" kind of silly. Avoid this movie at all costs
Educator and Parent Written bybmommy7 June 27, 2011

This film is NOT for children!

We also were so disappointed, shocked and appalled we walked out of the theater. I won't repeat the general points from the other reviews, as they say it all, but I will say that I was proud of walking out of the theater. I felt it taught my daughter to stand up for her values. This is not a movie for children, should not be G rated, and it affirms my lack of trust for Pixar.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bytiaceleste June 25, 2011

Adult Themes in a Candy Coloured Package

I was not impressed with what Pixar did to my son's favourite characters. This was an adult themed movie with cartoon colours. The violence was over the top with torture, weapons, explosions, death and seriously threatening seeming bad guys. My almost four year old was worried about Mater the whole time and told me afterwards that he did not really like this one. The first Cars was funny, sweet, original and engaging without any violence or real bad guys. Why bring the bad guys with violence into what could have been a movie that just focussed on racing, friendship and fitting in? The spy movie could have been done separately in a short film series like the Tall Tales movie. I would not recommend this movie to my friends with kids who are my son's age. I also was not impressed with all the drinking that the cars seem to do in this movie- why are they having martinis anyways? My son kept asking me, and I quote, "Why do the cars have fancy glasses to drink out of? Don't they drink oil or gas?" This was just too adult themed but at least they kept the value of friendship message in the movie?
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bymum@home June 24, 2011

Violence, drinking, car tortured to death, James Bond, oh my!

Cars 2 is NOT a film for little children. Honestly, I can't even phathom how this movie got a G rating? I think The MPAA should be ashamed of this rating. Bloodless violence should have a PG rating or PG13 rating. I would advocate Cars 2 needs a PG rating so parents can make an informed decision. My kids see age appropriate movies. I wouldn't let them see James Bond movies. The shooting didn't bother me, even the crushed car wasn't as upsetting as seeing a car tortured. Watching the scene continue in a reflection, and finally be killed by blowing him up was disturbing for the audience thus geared for. My 7 year old enjoyed the action but thought it was the longest movie he had ever seen. My 5 year old became somewhat scared and asked to sit on his dad's lap. There was drinking in numerous scenes. The first movie implied oil but the sequel doesn't present it the same way. At the restaurant in the beginning there were lots of martinis. In the Japan party scene there were open bars and cars drinking. The British pub scene had a bad guy dump the regulars' drinks, thus incite a beating. I heard "kill him" at least three times. The storyline feels jumbled. It felt like Pixar pulled ideas from James Bond movies, and a dose of alternative fuels. Tow Mater is the star, probably because of his popularity from Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales. There was some beautiful scenery that was first class animation. Pixar has done a wonderful animation job. I agree with other posters that said Cars 2 has lost the wholesomeness from the first movie. I realize that they wanted to keep their initial audience hooked but my 7 year old doesn't want clothing with Cars 2 on it. He might be interested in some of the toys to look at but not to purchase. Pixar should have revamped this story for little kids. The storyline feels like it was rushed so production could get started. Please excuse any typos as I am mobile.
Parent Written byashleyjean78 June 24, 2011

Cars 2 not for young children!!!

I was shocked by the amount of violence! The first movie was fine for young children and this one was scary and disturbing. Very disappointed! There are a few good jokes but it was just too much for young children who are not used to violence!
Parent Written byDaddyDunes June 28, 2013

TERRIFYING

REALLY SCARY, inappropriate for teens under 17. I am 33 and I think that this movie was too scary and inappropriate for me and my family and friends. I turned the movie off after the naked car showed off her tail pipe and pulled a gun out at a car named Mater. When the car shot Mater it was to graphic for me. (the oil spills out of the car) :( I will not see planes the sequel. I saw this movie two weeks ago and the image of the car hasn't left my mind. Common Sense Media is crazy for letting six year old watch it. Guns, Violence, Raunchy, and Gory themes make this movie is not for KIDS!
Parent of a 4 year old Written bygauberger February 9, 2013

Too much gun violence for kids

We watched Cars with our four years old son and he enjoyed it. We were looking forward to more family friendly entertainment with Cars 2 (Rated G). What a huge let down. The spy plot is so complicated that our son kept asking what was going on. He was confused and lost interest quickly. McQueen is rarely present in the movie. Cars spend most of the movie shooting at it each other. Really? I thought cars were supposed to *race* one another. Very disappointed at Disney for allowing this kind of violence to permeate every aspect of our lives. Shame on them.