All parent member reviews for Cars 2

Parent Written bykitterlee June 25, 2011

Way too violent

This movie is extremely violent. I can NOT believe it got a G rating. There are so many guns, machine guns, bombs, etc. Many cars die, one is tortured and killed, and they try to kill Lightning McQueen. With the original Cars having such a huge little kids following, I really don't know what Pixar was thinking, taking it in this direction. They have shown such talent with other films, like they could pull off anything. They could have done the Bond theme without the violence, it could've been a lot of fun. Why did they have to stoop? I'm really disappointed in Pixar. This is a really bad kids movie.
Parent Written byDizzycat June 24, 2011

Should not be G rated!

For a PIXAR movie this is very disappointing. This movie should not be rated G!! Think James Bond with all the violence, guns, and deaths. You will see several cars killed and even see car "body parts" floating in the water. Also a car is tortured for information and then blown up. I really do not know how this movie got a G rating, but beware. Both my 4 year old and 6 year old ended up in the laps of adults due to being scared and I am not really how much they even understood of the actual story line. Personally, I feel like PIXAR just sold out....it is a sad day. This movie lacks the originality and heart felt story of all the other PIXAR movies.
Adult Written byKatakama June 24, 2011

Extremely Disappointing

Today is a sad day that nobody thought would come, Pixar has successfully made a bad movie. There's no emotions except for anger, shame, and arrogance, the story makes no sense, all the entertainment value is expected to come from violence and stupidity, and worst of all you feel no attachment towards any of the characters. Also, torture and death have no place in a G rated Disney/Pixar movie. Only young kids will really enjoy it, because anyone who attempts to figure out the story will be confused. But what really caught me off guard, as a multilingual person, was the use of a japanese comment that almost always translates as " What the F" or "What the He**". That does not belong in a childrens movie no matter what language it's in. I recommend not seeing this movie, but I doubt you'll be able to if you have young children. As I said before, only young children will enjoy it, and parents will enjoy when it's finally over. I would also like to point out to the kids rating this with 5 stars, that they should not be doing so without actually seeing the movie.
Parent Written byMominater June 25, 2011

I have seen this movie. Do not take your kids to this movie!

Let me start by saying I HAVE seen the movie. I have never reviewed a movie here before but was so disturbed by this movie I felt as a parent I have a responsibility to other parents to warn them about this film. THIS MOVIE GLORIFIES GUNS IN A WAY THAT SHOULD BE DISTURBING TO ANY PARENT! I do not understand how it got a G rating. I took my 6 year old and my teenage sons and at one point in the movie even my teenager leaned to me and said "mom maybe we should leave. He (the 6 year old) shouldnt be watching this". I am shocked and saddened that Disney took characters meant for kids (that our family loved) and turned them into something else. Scenes of torture, intense gun violence, explosions, death of cars, and the constant reference to tomater as the idiot and fool was not what I thought we were going to see. My child was afraid at times and did say he liked the movie but "the new cars were scary and mean". This movie is not for kids and is the first movie I have seen in a very long time that I feel this strongly about. We have waited for this movie for months and even more than disapointed I am alarmed that this amount of violence was even in a kids movie. DO NOT SEE!
Parent Written byKilikina June 24, 2011

Too scary and violent for little ones

This movie should not be rated G. There are some good things about it, which I'll review first: Pixar comes through with their usual great animation. McQueen is embarrassed by his best friend, Mater, and tells him to stop acting like he's in Radiator Springs. Later he realizes that he is supposed to love and accept his best friend just the way he is. Lots of funny tie-ins and one-liners. Adults catching the little side jokes will be amused. Slapstick humor was much appreciated by our 8 year old child. Michael Caine is great! The bad: This show is very violent. In the opening scenes, the first guns come out and it just goes on from there. Guns everywhere! There are several violent deaths. A secret agent is horrified to see his colleague has been crushed into a cube. One car falls to his death, smashing into bits after hitting the sea from a great height. Another car is tortured when its gasoline is superheated and he is boiled from the inside out, eventually exploding. One scene depicts a car cornered in the bathroom, beaten and taken away. He is the one who is later tortured and killed. The bad guys continually threaten to kill other cars, and of course try to follow through on the threat. Characters are placed in grave danger of being crushed, shot, lasered, or bombed. Some escape, while others do not. A bomb is strapped to another character who is unable to remove it or deactivate it. Bottom line: Adults and older children may enjoy this, as it is entertaining and amusing. However, the happy Cars whose biggest problem is a beat-up road are gone, replaced by Cars who must deal with terrifying life and death scenarios. Cars 2 is a pretty good action movie, but not a great movie for the younger kids.
Adult Written bymoviecrtic18 February 4, 2012

An iffy spy action movie that has violence for a G rated movie,it should be PG for explosions and intense spy action,it shows guns and missles, some cars die off-screen with an explosion and get killed by a spy, A good exciting cool car action movie with gadgets and guns, exciting chases,spy action and Big explosions,better than the original,I bet they are going to make a third cars movie.

Parent of a 4, 6, 8, and 10 year old Written bymichael64 June 25, 2011

I am in shock at all the gun violence in this movie. Terrible storyline for kids to try and follow as well.

After having been so impressed by the original, I was genuinely shocked and disappointed by all the gun violence in this movie...cars are killed, weapons are everywhere, and the movie simply feels like one bad, long car chase. Shame on you Pixar and shame on the Motion Picture Assocation for giving this movie a G rating...not to mention the storyline is simply too complex for any little kid to follow. I could go on and on but don't want to waste my breath on this awful, awful movie. Pixar has finally made a bad movie and it is called Cars 2. I am still in shock at all the violence. Nothing at all like the original.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byaint it June 25, 2011

Not for younger children

Very disappointing. Especially to my 4 year old. The story line was hard for him to follow and I don't think he really even did. He kept asking if the cars that were killed, tortured, or hurt were going to get fixed. I opted out of seeing it in 3D due to some of the reviews I had read, saying it may be too intense for the little ones. I wouldn't recommend this one to someone with little ones, but I know how insistent they can be about something they want to do. And there has been a lot of hype for this movie. At least try to wait for DVD so they can view it in the comfort and security of their own home; maybe it won't seem so intense or scary, or mean, for that matter.
Parent Written byDaddyDunes June 28, 2013

TERRIFYING

REALLY SCARY, inappropriate for teens under 17. I am 33 and I think that this movie was too scary and inappropriate for me and my family and friends. I turned the movie off after the naked car showed off her tail pipe and pulled a gun out at a car named Mater. When the car shot Mater it was to graphic for me. (the oil spills out of the car) :( I will not see planes the sequel. I saw this movie two weeks ago and the image of the car hasn't left my mind. Common Sense Media is crazy for letting six year old watch it. Guns, Violence, Raunchy, and Gory themes make this movie is not for KIDS!
Parent Written byJMama99 July 7, 2011

Hold off till 6+

Very disappointing sequel - not sure what Pixar was thinking here. Terrible storyline for small kids, involving lots of cars shooting each other and a car death or two. My 4 1/2 year old spent a lot of time covering his eyes from the anticipation of violence.
Parent Written bycoinkeedinkee December 28, 2011

Disgusted at Pixar

The original Cars movie was a firm favourite with my two children (now aged 9 and 6). Something I particularly liked about the original film was the fact there was nothing in it that either of my (sensitive) children could find scary. It also had some lovely moralistic values in it. NOT THE CASE FOR THE SECOND MOVIE!!!! It is way too violent, and I'm not talking a few car crashes like in the first movie. For a kids movie of this rating it contains some horrible scenes. Torture, death, guns etc. Sure the characters are automobiles but they are animated in such a way that makes them humanised, and that makes these scenes disturbing, especially for children. I bought the DVD for my children as a Christmas present without checking anything online like I usually do, because I thought this would merely be a sequel to the warm adventure of the original with the same characters that my kids love. I had no idea this movie would be like this! I know it may seem like an exaggeration but I feel like Pixar abused the trust that many parents put in them by making the sequel so unlike the original. No doubt many parents took their kids to see this completely oblivious. On the back of the DVD it says "contains mild violence" but mild violence is surely things like car crashes, not the constant theme of death. Way to ruin the holidays!
Parent of a 3 year old Written bytiaceleste June 25, 2011

Adult Themes in a Candy Coloured Package

I was not impressed with what Pixar did to my son's favourite characters. This was an adult themed movie with cartoon colours. The violence was over the top with torture, weapons, explosions, death and seriously threatening seeming bad guys. My almost four year old was worried about Mater the whole time and told me afterwards that he did not really like this one. The first Cars was funny, sweet, original and engaging without any violence or real bad guys. Why bring the bad guys with violence into what could have been a movie that just focussed on racing, friendship and fitting in? The spy movie could have been done separately in a short film series like the Tall Tales movie. I would not recommend this movie to my friends with kids who are my son's age. I also was not impressed with all the drinking that the cars seem to do in this movie- why are they having martinis anyways? My son kept asking me, and I quote, "Why do the cars have fancy glasses to drink out of? Don't they drink oil or gas?" This was just too adult themed but at least they kept the value of friendship message in the movie?
Parent Written byAngieMomof3 June 24, 2011

Cars meets James Bond.

VERY James Bond action. More gun violence than I expected after reading the reviews. The bad guys are very damaged in the movie, close to death. It was interesting that the cars have 'cocktails' instead of oil like before. My 6 year old was entranced; my 4 and 2 lost interest in the movie. I thought it was very classy for Disney that they didn't bring back Doc, instead it is mentioned that he is gone.
Adult Written bylmkramer507 June 25, 2011

007 film, not a cute kids' story

I was really disappointed in this film. The Cars humor I loved from the first film was only evident in the last 10 minutes when they returned to Radiator Springs; at that point I actually laughed. For the rest of the movie, I was holding my breath, thinking, "I can't believe this is so violent!" I'm not sure how this received a G rating; if it had been people instead of cars being shot and blown up it would have been PG-13 at the very least. And there's a lot of shooting and blowing up going on. My 8- and 10-year-old boys loved the movie; my 7- and 5-year-old girls did not. A young child (ages 2-4) for whom Lightning McQueen is a beloved character could well be upset at the assassination attempt on McQueen, as well as Mater being one second from being blown up by a bomb attached to him. Older kids will be better able to discern that this is fiction, but for little ones, it could be difficult. I was really disappointed in this movie. We rarely see films in the theater, and even more rarely on opening night, and I'm sad that I wasted our money on this one.
Parent Written byCrow2011 June 24, 2011

Disappointingly Violent

We are always careful about what we let our sons, age 7 and 4, watch. They are very sensitive to violence and always scared of "bad guys". The nice thing about the first Cars movie was that there was nothing in it that would frighten them. The first Cars movie was also well-written and engaging, with likable characters and a positive message about friendship. Today we saw Cars 2 because both of my boys have practically been counting down the days until it opened; I don't think there was any way we could have gotten out of going. However, I was terribly disappointed with this new installment. It is surprisingly violent, right from the beginning, with shooting, explosions, and characters tied up and held hostage. My 7 year old was happy with the story - he enjoyed the secret agent / spy storyline - but my 4 year old seemed mystified and bored and scared all at the same time. The story is convoluted and annoying and the movie felt too long and slow. It seems like the Cars franchise is being rebranded for marketing to an older group of children (Notice how the video game is cautioned for age 10 and up.) I think this movie should have had a PG rating for the violence, and I wish it would have had a better story as well.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bypopcorn2 June 25, 2011

This film left me shaken, not stirred.

The second Cars movie is a spy film. My almost 5 year old son seemed to love it. And that was the point of our first family trip to the movies. My husband and I, however, cringed through the whole movie. The gun violence is over the top and completely out of place in a movie franchise marketed to preschoolers. There are even a few deaths in the form of explosions. We loved the first Cars movie: No villain, no violence, no peril, positive messages...The second movie took all the charm and character from the first movie and burned it right out of the script with a flame thrower. If there is one redeeming point it is that Mater entertainingly delivers on being himself, and for that reason becomes the hero of the movie. Just make sure you mind the burning shrapnel as you dig for the positive message.
Adult Written byaspiemum June 24, 2011

NOT NOT NOT a "G" rated film!

My kids are big "Cars" fans...and we are big Disney and Pixar fans...that said, despite the reviews from other sites, I took my girls to see Cars 2. This is NOT, I repeat NOT, a "G" rated film! I have never seen so many weapons in a child's film before! This film does an excellent job of paying tribute to James Bond films. But if I wanted my child to see James Bond, that's what we'd watch. There are some good lessons on friendship and being yourself. But not enough to counter the level of violence. There are a few cute moments that go by in a flash that "tip their hat" to some fun culturally iconic moments of the last 10 years or so, and the technology behind the animation is quite impressive! But overall, a very disappointing experience.
Parent Written byshiningambert March 19, 2012

Graphic and a little frightening.

Well, I went with my friend and her five-year-old son to see this movie. He was super excited, because he is totally obsessed with the first Cars movie; he was fidgeting in his seat in the theater, waiting for the movie to start. In one or two of the opening scenes, you see fires and hear explosions. Her son is scared of fire, which I don't find that abnormal, seeing as how he's been burned by a candle a few times. He said, "Mommy, I'm scared. I don't like it!" and started to cry. She had to take him out of the theater. I didn't think the movie was as horrible as some of the reviews said, but I don't think it's appropriate for young children, either. There's also some drinking scenes, and not with oil cans like the first movie, but actual beer cans. I don't think they should have rated it G; it's very misleading. If your children are a bit older and can handle it, then by all means, go and see it. But if they're like my friend's son, I would strongly advise you to avoid seeing it.
Adult Written byTheUltamite November 3, 2011

Boring boring boring

I hated the first Cars movie, it had poor writing, characters, poor everything. This movie is even worse, by adding the confusing spy twists, this film ends up being silly, but not the Looney Tunes silly, but the "wow. . . this is sad" kind of silly. Avoid this movie at all costs
Educator and Parent Written bybmommy7 June 27, 2011

This film is NOT for children!

We also were so disappointed, shocked and appalled we walked out of the theater. I won't repeat the general points from the other reviews, as they say it all, but I will say that I was proud of walking out of the theater. I felt it taught my daughter to stand up for her values. This is not a movie for children, should not be G rated, and it affirms my lack of trust for Pixar.