Kid reviews for Casablanca

Brief violence and lots of tension in top-notch classic.

Teen, 15 years old Written byTeddyBearR February 16, 2021

Good, But did not really get it.

I think it's good if you love old movies, That's personally the only reason I watched it. And I think the film itself is ok but I did not really pick up on anything.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLukeCon November 16, 2020

A little slow, but overall a rousing war-romance story

Casablanca doesn't instantly pick up, but when it does, it knows how to do it. Michael Curtiz crafts an at first slow but more enjoyable story as the film goes on--a story that has more meaning than us just watching a man's day-to-day life owning a nightclub. Casablanca actually offers some rousing aspects to the film's story, which creates the experience of Casablanca.
This is definitely one of the iconic pieces of classic cinema--mainly for its famous quotes ("Here's looking at you, kid" "We'll always have Paris" and others)--but in the end, it isn't just the famous quotes that matter, it's the rousing story which continues to provide the necessary entertainment which Casablanca has--which ultimately gives Casablanca the necessary aspect the film needs--and has.
Casablanca is not only consistently rousing in which the audience doesn't feel bored--it also offers some nicely constructed philosophical themes which handle the significance of one's life, and the importance of sacrifice for the greater good. These are some nice concepts which create the thematic structure of Casablanca--Casablanca isn't just entertaining, it has some interesting themes displayed throughout the film which actually creates the story necessary for the film.
Overall, this rousing classic is best for teens who enjoy these kinds of films. Here is a brief content description of the film:

Positive messages: 8/10. The film includes a great message about the importance of sacrifice for the greater good; this theme is explored throughout the film and portrayed in a positive light.
Positive role models: 8/10. The main characters display heroism and compassion in their difficult circumstances which they face throughout the film; one character, in particular, shows compassion towards others.
Violence: 6/10. Two characters are shot in separate scenes; both die of their wounds in the tense scenes, nothing is shown but the scenes are tense. Guns are used to threaten people in tense scenes. French police round up suspects for the murder of a Nazi officer.
Sex: 2/10. Some kissing occurs between a couple in love; nothing sexual is shown and the kisses are romantic in the film.
Profanity: 0/10. None in the film.
Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: 7/10. Characters drink frequently throughout the film, as accurate for the time period and the story setting (a nightclub); social drinking is shown throughout the film, and some characters act drunk in the film. Some cigarette smoking occurs by characters in the film.

Overall, Casablanca is a film that manages to be consistently rousing, aside from its mildly slow pace it runs at. Casablanca still entertains today with its story which contains the aspects needed to create a rousing story, and the experience of Casablanca is created through these aspects.
Not only that, the film also offers some interesting themes which handle the significance of one's life and the importance of sacrifice. These themes are constructed throughout the film and are ultimately the backdrop of the film's message; this makes Casablanca feel more than an enjoyable experience and an experience with a message--and a rousing ending to sum it all up.
Casablanca is one of the enjoyable pieces of classic cinema. I give Casablanca 4 out of 5 stars, and recommend it to preteens 12 and up.

Teen, 13 years old Written byfelicel April 15, 2020

Teen - Age 13

Great family romantic war Humphrey Bogart classic which is not necessarily made for kids to enjoy but it still is so good and intended for kids 8 and up with brief violence.

Teen, 14 years old Written byjimmydarling February 12, 2020

Casablanca Review

Casablanca is a dramatic romance movie that is based in Casablanca, Morocco in the year of 1943 during World War II. Rick Blaine, exiled American and former freedom fighter, runs the most popular nightspot in town. The lone wolf Blaine comes into the possession of two valuable letters of transit. When a Nazi Major arrives in Casablanca, the police Captain Renault does what he can to please him, including holding a Czechoslovak underground leader Victor Laszlo in custody. To Rick's surprise, Laszlo arrives with Ilsa. Rick's past true love. Ilsa ran out on Rick while in Paris, but during that time she was to believe her true love Victor was dead. Rick is very harsh towards Ilsa, but when he learns she had good reason to, they plan to run off together again using the letters of transit.
Throughout the story, it’s a twist of turns and an emotional ride through the love triangle of the main characters. Ilsa struggles between being in love with Rick and being in love with Victor, but in the end, she picks Victor. Rick befriends a fellow named Louis, who was going to be their ticket and plane ride out of Casablanca. But, Ilsa being too loyal to Victor, she chooses to stay in Casablanca with him. At the end of this romance drama, Rick and Louis are seen walking towards the plan as Rick says “Louis, this looks like the start of a great friendship.” while “Les Marillaise” plays in the background.
Although, if you are wanting to watch this movie to learn info on World War II, it isn’t the best movie to. Are the characters and events real? No, Majority of all characters and settings are fictional, and it doesn’t really go into detail on many facts of the true times and what was occurring. There are theories on the characters such as them supposedly meaning to represent countries during the time. For example, Rick Blaine was neutral politically and in other ways like the United States; but it is just a theory overall. But positives about it are that the movie indeed does represent the struggle of sacrifice and could be seen as propaganda for the time of World War II. Using different types of metaphors and symbolism throughout the story to possibly mock countries or portray what was wanted. In the end, Casablanca could be seen as an anti-fascist propaganda which was designed to support U.S. participation in the Allied Forces struggle for global justice. But you would only learn that if you looked deep into the story afterwards. Overall, Casablanca is a very good movie itself, but as a learning movie, it isn’t the strongest.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMichael_Scott January 4, 2019
You can tell why critics praise this movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byHamad Alzaabi November 25, 2018
Teen, 13 years old Written byBentleDolores August 14, 2018

"Here's looking' at you, kid."

This is one of the best films of all time, and for good reason. The movie takes place in Casablanca in 1942, when Europe is getting plagued by Nazis. Many try to go to Casablanca to obtain an exit visa, and some manage to do it. But if you're on the Nazis' most wanted list, you're probably not meant to - especially if you're Czech Resistance leader Victor Laszlo. His only chance of escaping is through Rick, which is unlikely because his ex-lover is with Victor and is trying to escape with him. Rick must decide what is the better thing to go through with: maintaining his own needs or saving lives. Not really unfriendly for kids, but this is one of the old classics, and it either might not come into interest or be a bit different to you then more modern movies. Parents, your young ones might not be able to get it very well, so might as well wait until you're a tween or a mature big kid who's a huge movie buff.

Teen, 13 years old Written bylitkarl July 5, 2018

Outstanding Acting but Hard to Follow

Great story, great actors (Ilsa is freakin hot and Rick is hilarious), and great fun. The only problem with this movie is that it is really hard to follow. I had to watch this with my grandpa, who had seen it a couple times before, because I needed someone to tell me what the freak was going on! I recommend watching this movie with someone that's already seen it, because it'll prevent you from a world of hurt.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjusticeleague10 February 24, 2018
I think its a good movie and a really good classic. It is in black and white like most movies back in the day, but I think it works really well for this type of movie. So if you want to watch a calmer classic movie then I think this is a great one.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCat0 February 18, 2018
Teen, 13 years old Written byAgentA 2005 February 17, 2018
Casablanca starts out fast and is a bit confusing. The movie is about trying to escape the Nazi occupied Casablanca but it’s also about giving up all you have so that the one you love can live. I do think it was a long movie, could easily have been cut down to 30 minuets. This movie is okay for kids, but quite boring and easy to fall asleep in. Being a classic movie there were a lot of famous lines.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheparanoidreviewer February 13, 2018

Thought provoking

It's easy to over look the drinking and smoking as there is so much more to this movie. It's kind of slow in the beginning but picks up once you begin to understand what is going on. The movie does a great job of conveying the message across which is great. I recommend this movie for decently mature audiences. A well thought out classic!

Kid, 11 years old January 27, 2018

classic world war two film is wholesome, but could be considered boring by very small children

parents need to know that even though the famed Hollywood film Casablanca is considered one of the greatest pictures of all time, it may pose as a bore to young children. the content is extremely mild, but still including some smoking and gambling in a bar. no overt sexual content is present in this picture, but some kissing and romantic talk, but nothing but melodramatic and sugary uses of "I love you" and other terms native to Hollywood. one shooting, but no gore shown, and multiple references to concentration camps, but no graphics. even know, this landmark film is considered one of the all time greatest pictures, and truly no part of it bored me.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMovieGeek12345 November 4, 2017

Possibly the most iconic movie in history.

Casablanca has it all, it is well acted, directed, written, and has an interesting and intense storyline with well constructed characters that feel like real people (they are not clichés). Do I really need to say it, Casablanca is just an amazing film that deserves to be watched at least once and pretty much everyone who knows anything about movies has seen or at least heard of this masterpiece.
Teen, 17 years old Written byAbbysmiley January 25, 2016
Ricky is a laid back character that doesn't get too involved with anyone. Only thing he really invests in is his bar and his closet friend Sam. That changed when his ex love came back, and she needs help to escape to town with her husband. In the end rick had to let go of a lot for a greater cause.

Teen, 17 years old Written byAshleyLamo13 January 22, 2016

Casablanca Review

Casablanca is a classic film about a man named Rick, who went to Casablanca to escape his very own complicated past. The setting in his bar casts a very modern (in their day) feel to the whole film. I enjoyed how the actors and actresses performed with each other and had a lot of great interactions. I didn't like how a lot of the people there had been smoking and drinking in the film a lot, but it was in a bar so it makes perfect sense, all in all. Other than smoking and drinking, the film was very great.

Teen, 16 years old Written bymhaven_10 January 15, 2016

A class project film

Casablanca was a great movie, I really Enjoyed. I give this movie a 5 star, the main problem with the movie was there was too much smoking and drinking. it took place during the WWII and the Nazi invaded Casablanca. then it got intense but over all it was a great movie.

Teen, 16 years old Written byBizzledizzle22 January 15, 2016
It's a pretty nice movie although it was in black and white, it's also interesting. I like the settings it looks pretty realistic.
Teen, 14 years old Written byProjektor May 14, 2015

This is one of biggest movies ever made! This is very good and romantic and dark film, but sometimes this is mild boring.

This film have some violence and drinking/ssmoking and few kisses.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMasterman177 April 17, 2014

I am 14 years old, and this is my favorite movie

I love this movie. I watched it when i was 14 and there was not a second I was bored.