All parent member reviews for Cast Away

Adult Written bytexas family April 9, 2008

Great movie that teaches children the importance of survival

My kids loved this movie. They were very interested in how he was going to survive and get off the island. Yes, there were a few brief disturbing scenes. However, they did not last long. Overwhelmingly, the movie captured my kids attention a lot more than I thought it could. They were trying to figure out what they would do and how they would handle this type of a situation.
Adult Written byTheShaman April 9, 2008

For those who havent seen this movie yet... Get your heads out of the sand and rent it. Better yet, buy it! I know, I know, how can you like a movie that only has 2 characters for 90% of the movie? and one is a coconut (wilson). Well you will, Tom Hanks is simply Briliant in this movie! Must have seen this movie 20 times. Never gets boring! Watching Hanks learn how to make due on a deserted island is very entertaining. Cant tell you too much about this as to give away plot. ONLY ITS A MUST RENT/OWN for all viewers. Beginning of movie is a little scarry, but is entirely necessary to show how he ends up on the island. Wilson should have gotten the oscar for best supporting actor!
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

The coconut should have won best supporting actor. Excellent movie
Parent Written byPlague December 14, 2009

My second favorite movie Tom Hanks has acted in. Very powerful and just an all around awesome movie that teaches kids (and adults) to never give up on your loved ones, and do whatever it takes to be with them. 5 stars forever.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion April 11, 2009

A Severe but Engaging Drama...

CAST AWAY is a good movie. Tom Hanks is great, and the story is engaging. It is probably okay for most people 13+, but there are numerous intense scenes. Chuck, the main character, is stranded on an island after a severe plane crash. On the island several encounters (such as finding a decomposed body by the shore, cutting is leg on some coral, splitting his hand on wood) may be too brutal for some viewers (note: all of these scenes of injury contain blood). Language is some "s**t"s and "d**n"s. NOTE: I'm afraid I won't be able to mention these scenes in detail, but, for detailed analysis, please go to the following site:
Adult Written bygarfield2711 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bybeseme April 9, 2008
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMoe-Z-Mom February 13, 2014

I watched Castaway with my 10-year-old son and we were both completely engaged. I had no squirmish moments where I thought that he should leave the room and my son most enjoyed the survival scenes on the island. However, the movie could easily be a FedEx commercial. Parts of the movie also seemed completely contrived, such as the dialogue the main character, Chuck, has with his friend after he is rescued. Chuck talks about his lack of control on the island, how he could not even succeed at suicide and all he could do is keep "breathing". (Reminiscent of the dialogue Tom Hanks has with a friend in Sleepless in Seattle where he talks about how after his wife died "all he could do is breath in and out.") In Castaway, Chuck also talks about how "you never know what the tide is going to bring in." (Reminiscent of the famous Forest Gump line "life is like a box of chocolates . . .") Nonetheless, the last scene where Chuck is at a crossroad not knowing which way to go next, while contrived, was a positive and hopeful ending. I am not sure that my son got all the subtleties of this last scene but he understood that it was a happy ending.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

Definitely not for kids

This movie is brilliant. But not geared towards children. Better for a kid aged over 15-16. Contains scenes of a dead body, blood and an extremely intense plane crash scene. The movie also does not end happily. So ultimately a real terk jerker. I loved it, but it's hard to watch.
Parent of a 8, 14, and 16 year old Written bykneighbor August 29, 2010

Classic but not for the young